Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Mayveena posted:

The streets around the Engineers are highlighted green when I click the power plant.

Does the power plant actually have oil and is running? I dont know if its possible to disable electricity use for a population type like other goods, but that might have happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Also do the engineers have lightbulbs? They don't seem to actually care about power until they have lights to use the power.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Eschatos posted:

Does the power plant actually have oil and is running? I dont know if its possible to disable electricity use for a population type like other goods, but that might have happened.

Yep that was it. The plant finally got some oil and now all is fine. Yes the engineers have light bulbs as well. Will have to find more sources of oil.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

3 oil patches per power plant. 1 oil patch per gas station if you're using tractors. And I think it's 6 natural gas seeps for a gas power plant.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

blackmongoose posted:

Also brick roads conduct power better for some reason which can be very helpful in getting everything covered with the fewest possible plants

You can build a better powerline tower if you're giving it an actual foundation than if you're just sinking a pole into the earth, I suppose.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I'm gonna try this out. I played Anno 2070 forever ago. What, if any, DLC/expansions are good? Or should I just get the basic game? Kind of annoying that it isn't on steam.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I'm gonna try this out. I played Anno 2070 forever ago. What, if any, DLC/expansions are good? Or should I just get the basic game? Kind of annoying that it isn't on steam.

When they have expansions launch they sometimes have better sales. The most important DLCs would be : Sunken Treasures (allows diving, but the main draw is unlocking Cape Trelawny a big huge island specifically reserved for the player), Bright Harvest (Allows you to add silos and tractors to enhance farming and livestock) and Docklands (allows you to trade for hard to produce items really easily.)

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Honestly they're all good. The only one that's kinda "meh" value wise is the Anarchist DLC which just adds an extra medium difficulty NPC with some special mechanics. Though the Arctic and Land of Lions DLCs do make the game significantly more complex with the new zones they add. The Arctic adds zeppelins, the Land of Lions ultimately adds a research institute that just...breaks the game.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

I wish I could access the salvaging without uncorking Cape Trelawney. That place is just too goddamn big for my brain to process. I'm sure I'll love it once I actually manage consistently load-balancing poo poo up to Investors, but I still can't manage that somehow -- I think it's the drat rum cycle.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i want a setting that says 'i want to play with ai but i dont want them to rush me by beating me to islands and or regions'

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Isn't that 1 stars? Not sure if it's the star level or the naturally high relations you get with 1 stars but they always ask before settling anything in my experience. If relations based maybe not foreverially postponed without a little effort to keep relationships up but 1 stars seem the most 2205 hands off chill trade partners.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

zedprime posted:

Isn't that 1 stars? Not sure if it's the star level or the naturally high relations you get with 1 stars but they always ask before settling anything in my experience. If relations based maybe not foreverially postponed without a little effort to keep relationships up but 1 stars seem the most 2205 hands off chill trade partners.

if you tell them no often enough they will end up just taking stuff anyway i believe. maybe it's just hugo?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I haven't had to say no more than once because if I'm being honest unless it's a useful fertility in a useful place, I'm probably never going to have the mental free time to settle it anyway so they can feel free.

Getting into play your sandbox differently territory but for what it's worth it costs almost nothing to squat on islands with a single dock and if there's one thing 1 stars are completely squeemish about it's wars and hostile take overs. When they ask I have to imagine they are in the market for that region so better to stake your claim on the fertilities and spacing you really want even if you aren't ready for it yet, and then allow them to settle in the remaining margins.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Ol’ wibbly knows when he isnt wanted.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Oh yeah, isn't Hugo a 2 star? They're meant to be antagonistically paced so they're gonna stop listening sooner than later and expand at an annoying clip.

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

Ol’ wibbly knows when he isnt wanted.
I said no to Wibbly once and like 20 minutes later Beryl absolutely annihilated him, wiped completely off the map. Never again :smith:

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

boar guy posted:

if you tell them no often enough they will end up just taking stuff anyway i believe. maybe it's just hugo?

I believe there was a bug for a while where you had to be in the same session for the decline/don't settle prompt to actually 'count'. (And for 'a while' I mean like 1.5 years or so, unless it was a bug that suddenly appeared post-launch.)
So if they were asking to settle something in the new world and you were in the old world when you declined, there was a chance they'd ignore it. But there is no mechanic where they'll intentionally ignore you, though the prompt might time-out if you're not paying attention.

But also yes Hugo is a 2-star and won't give a poo poo regardless.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

boar guy posted:

They'll eventually declare war on you. Not sure they are needed for anything other than interference, unlike the pirates who have a lot of good stuff and can provide income as well.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

ok i guess what i want is the flavor hugo provides without being rushed to islands. :/

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I am very new to this and just playing the campaign/tutorial but is the way to make money basically have more citizens that are supplied with more of the goods they want? There’s no taxes I can raise or anything, right? From watching some YouTube’s it seems like selling your excess to the AI and doing quests also? I’m baaaarely running a cash surplus and it’s really limiting my expansion. I may also just have built way too many buildings.

Is there a good wiki or FAQ/guide or something?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

boar guy posted:

ok i guess what i want is the flavor hugo provides without being rushed to islands. :/

My suggestion then is:
Install Spice it Up, specifically the 'AI Shipyard' module, anything else is optional. ( https://www.nexusmods.com/anno1800/mods/5 )
Start up an empty game / a game with 1-2 One-Stars, etc.
Once you hit a point where you feel you're not getting rushed anymore, build the AI shipyard, summon in Hugo, and let him go about his business.

That gives you total control over the flow, and when you summon in Hugo through the Ai Shipyard, he'll act as normal.
(It basically just spawns in a flagship for Hugo and adds him to the session, as if you'd started a new game where players only start with the flagship, as opposed to islands.)

The only thing I'm unsure about with the shipyard is if it can add new AIs beyond the normal cap of 3. So just to be safe, only start with 0-2 AIs if you intend to add a third.

e:

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I am very new to this and just playing the campaign/tutorial but is the way to make money basically have more citizens that are supplied with more of the goods they want?

Yes, Luxury products generate a lot of revenue. Which increases with higher tiers. Basic commodities/the things needed to upgrade them, not as much.
Every npc/ai can be traded with provided your relationship with them is good enough, selling beer/rum to pirates, Soap to Eli etc is a good way to generate additional income. If you check their dock you can see what kind of items they especially like to trade in.
Leaning on special items can also supply huge amounts of your populace with free items, or boost production of others, so keep an eye out for them, etc.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 13, 2021

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Mayveena posted:

They'll eventually declare war on you. Not sure they are needed for anything other than interference, unlike the pirates who have a lot of good stuff and can provide income as well.

War is not inevitable, even when denying every request to expand by a one star you can keep their opinion stable through diplomatic actions and quests. The quests also provide a steady stream of items and money, you can get really good items sometimes for little effort.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
So I keep getting to engineers in my games and my interest in continuing just keeps getting sapped away. Trelawney is big but too oddly shaped to plan out anything that you could really build to scale, like you can't pattern out a huge efficient town hall investor setup before you run into a river or cliff wall that cuts your potential efficiency way down. Also as neat as the various sessions are it really feels draining to deal with compared to something like 1404 and simply splitting the map in half. Sure I can get to 50k investors but holy poo poo does it feel more like a chore than interesting gameplay at that point swapping between 5 sessions.

Also wish there was a good way to hunt seeds as even with spice it up sandbox mode you still have to constantly load, quit and restart.

EDIT: AAAAAAnnndddddd I just found Trelawney's layout for Anno designer. This will be problematic.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Apr 14, 2021

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

I honestly play with Trelawny off. I really don't need or want two Old World sessions.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Alkydere posted:

I honestly play with Trelawny off. I really don't need or want two Old World sessions.

I get the Old World to a sustainable place and then turn on Trelawny and never look back. I really like the space.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

How do one star AIs behave? Do they pre-colonize the new world before you get there? I'm dicking around in the story campaign mode and taking my time so I don't want to wake up to a world full of pre colonized islands with no recourse.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Alkydere posted:

If I'm gonna do it, I'm gonna do it fuckin' right

Still have no idea if it actually lines up but if someone was willing enough to make this template I highly doubt it's even a tile off :v:

It's 2000 houses for 100k investors and those blocks work out to exactly 100 give or take some adjustments for spacing and dimensions; right now it's actually looking pretty doable to have all 2000 houses within the boundaries of a town hall and still have a decent amount of Trelawney left for other pops. Why they insist on town halls using the old radius system I have no loving idea but I will min/max this poo poo regardless

Mazz fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Apr 15, 2021

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

If you use that template it seems to use up a lot of coast. Between the palace and docklands you can create some crazy, crazy combos to trade, so make sure to save yourself some room on the southern coastlands.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

If you use that template it seems to use up a lot of coast. Between the palace and docklands you can create some crazy, crazy combos to trade, so make sure to save yourself some room on the southern coastlands.

The red line defines the coast which is a hard stop to city construction and quay streets really break how the coast is defined regardless. I shouldn’t have a problem for getting the docklands modules configured on the same type of principle as the above, but I will keep it in mind.

Honestly, quay streets are quietly one of my favorite things they've added in the DLC. They add so much potential design possibility to all the harbor spaces which was really lacking before. This is from my last game before this Trelawney bullshit; I was able to feed 17,000 farmers and workers on this island from just this fishery layout, would've been laughably less space efficient before that.

Also, fun fact in that screenshot, hunting lodges and wood/charcoal do not overlap on forest usage. Hard to do with wood lodges since they have a smaller working radius but charcoal don't need nearly as much land as they state for 100% productivity.

EDIT: Another thing in that screenshot but not obvious; build farms to 125% tile usage right from the start by holding shift. The rare trade union person for hops, potatoes and grain are a relatively common roll from the prison and pirate lady. That works out to 90 potatoes, 120 hops and 180 grain, which is easier to actually map out ahead of time then the normal 72/96/144 since you can cut the farm buildings to path out from by a third, which is really nice for fitting into a standard trade union radius. Those 10 grain farms are all running at 200% before even having tractors between the 125% field guy and the plow item you get from one of the artisan pop-up quests.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Apr 15, 2021

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

I finally paid attention to the tooltip on the Actor character item, realized exactly what it meant, and dropped her into the center of my main city. Wham, suddenly I have no more problems with canned food or rum supply.

Pay close attention to the socket items available to you, they can drastically change your situation.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Redeye Flight posted:

I finally paid attention to the tooltip on the Actor character item, realized exactly what it meant, and dropped her into the center of my main city. Wham, suddenly I have no more problems with canned food or rum supply.

Pay close attention to the socket items available to you, they can drastically change your situation.

Yeah, most anything Blue quality or above is almost certainly actually useful in some way. Even if you're not gunning for it at the moment. You should look out for Gordon the Master Grocer, he's absolutely bonkers for the New World since suddenly your Obreros are getting free booze without having to cart it across the Atlantic.

Also am I weird that I'm semi-regularly checking the Anno Union because I really want the tourist update to come out, or at least know more about it?

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Apr 16, 2021

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Alkydere posted:

Yeah, most anything Blue quality or above is almost certainly actually useful in some way. Even if you're not gunning for it at the moment. You should look out for Gordon the Master Grocer, he's absolutely bonkers for the New World since suddenly your Obreros are getting free booze without having to cart it across the Atlantic.

Also am I weird that I'm semi-regularly checking the Anno Union because I really want the tourist update to come out, or at least know more about it?

I completely forgot about the Obrera beer requirement and how that could interact. It's kind of wild how my brain subconsciously compartmentalizes these items into their respective worlds when they can really go anywhere at all.

I also found a guy who can make fur coats out of wool and iron somehow, but honestly I'm having more issues load balancing my iron supply chain than my cotton supply chain right now, so the plan is to leave that one alone. At least for the moment. Some of the people I'm starting to rake in are bonkers but I'm honestly so busy right now that I haven't had time to look at them all and think about how I could reorganize things to best make use of them. Heck, I haven't even knuckled down to go up to Investors! I've got all these expeditions to assemble and trying to play Extreme Tetris with tiny Arctic islands and what the hell keeps running out and cratering my income? Good thing I can just sell Battle Cruisers for easy and stupidly big amounts of money, or sail a cargo ship full of guns over to Isabel. God I love Spinning Plates: The Game.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Yeah Franke might be a bit excessive for the Fur Dealer. If you can get a Costume Designer though that will at least cut out the cotton and replace it with Wool, saving the trip.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I literally always have a boat at the prison and the pirate so I can buy any good items that pop up.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Kraftwerk posted:

How do one star AIs behave? Do they pre-colonize the new world before you get there? I'm dicking around in the story campaign mode and taking my time so I don't want to wake up to a world full of pre colonized islands with no recourse.

One star AIs will almost never advance faster than you. They CAN get to the New World before you, I think -- the two star ones definitely can -- but it's very unlikely.

In the story campaign mode, though, you have much less to be concerned about as you're guaranteed control of some New World territory through the course of the story. You'll almost certainly need to go find other islands to fill out your collection of fertilities, but the odds of the entire New World being colonized with all the AIs being one star is really, really low.

If you're concerned about it, though, you can always make the initial foray to the New World with some steel and timber on board, find and claim the islands you think you'll want, and then just sit on them. I don't think I've ever had a one-star AI declare a war of conquest. You'll also definitely need New World colonization to advance up to Engineers unless you find one of the character items that replaces the fur coats' cotton requirement, and honestly I can't imagine getting poo poo done without the ridiculous amount of money that rum brings in.

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Apr 19, 2021

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
I read up on the Tourist DLC and the one that is to follow and that definitely made me put the brakes on the big templating thing I was doing.

I'm hoping between sometime those 2 DLC and/or modders we get a way to bring Trelawney into the regular old world; an entire separate zone for it, with a static island selection (albeit slightly randomized locations) at that, does come off as mildly excessive. Especially since you can't really just abandon either one without losing a bunch of the passive NPC stuff.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Ditto on the Tourist DLC. The Investor Skyscraper one seems mainly "More investors, but by building up/getting new goods" as compared to "building out/making massive amounts of old goods". Tourism looks interesting in the fact that their goods and service buildings will also affect your non-tourist buildings. It's been suggested in the Anno Union block that the Tourist restaurants can reduce your people's needs for food.

I do approve that the new stuff won't be adding new maps so they'll likely add new uses to old resources. Finally, perhaps a reason to build Red Pepper farms even after you get the dude who shoves whole pigs into cans! I did find it interesting the latest blog teased a "chemical factory" which suggests stuff like, oh, paints or makeup? I was gonna suggest plastics for gaudy little souvenirs but the concept art lacks rails to bring in oil. An interesting note is that the file itself is titled "multi_factory_concept_art-4" which is interesting. I wonder if you'll have a variety of things you can produce to satisfy your Tourist needs instead of a fixed set, perhaps expanding if you have the Arctic and Land of Lions DLCs?

Either way, the fact that the Tourist DLC is coming out SoonTM and will do some wild stuff has killed my interest right now because no matter what I do the Tourist DLC is likely gonna scramble my plans.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

What does the Steel Beams +1/5 mean here?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

For every 5 production cycles, you'll get an extra steel I-beam. Which, considering you can never have enough steel for construction, and you'll be producing them from brick and concrete factories to add to your steel foundries, is an amazing deal.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Ah, General Foreman. One of the best blue items in the game and forms the backbone of my construction material industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Alkydere posted:

For every 5 production cycles, you'll get an extra steel I-beam. Which, considering you can never have enough steel for construction, and you'll be producing them from brick and concrete factories to add to your steel foundries, is an amazing deal.

What is a production cycle? How long is a cycle? Thanks! Yeah I thought it was good. After two years of playing, I'm finally getting into items.