Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Man, this white power biker gang on SVU seems really socially progressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Instantly hated Detective Washburn on OC but I’m guessing that was intentional :haw:

also it was nice to see Sergeant Khaldun on SVU again, he’s so dreamy :allears:

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I know it makes for fun tv, but at some point you would think that the SVU detectives would learn not to verbally assault and threaten every single suspect.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

https://twitter.com/cher/status/1381489026578833409?s=20

I guess she's watching Oz?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Maybe she is watching the show that has the best instance of the Stabler character: Happy!

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Kid's probably named Forrest after the KKK founder.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Hand Knit posted:

Kid's probably named Forrest after the KKK founder.

Yep.

Also, I noticed the law firm they went to had Robinette as one of the partners.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

This episode has a great ebb and flow, with Benson giving a stirring speech about implicit bias training for cops, followed by the big break coming from an undercover cop "getting handsy" with a target, and then Benson and Carisi talking tough about the power of the police state.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

That concluded quickly and anti-climactically.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
So, like...DID they let that lady's brother die?

fartknocker posted:

Yep.

Also, I noticed the law firm they went to had Robinette as one of the partners.

Yeah, I saw that too, lol.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
:laffo: this is some Bond villain level teasing

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Cripes, I totally forgot about this. :lol:

I miss anything with SVU?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

MJeff posted:

You missed Benson giving a speech about how the good cops want implicit bias training while the music swelled. I'll let you decide whether that's a yes or a no.

e: I hope Stabler looks like this throughout the rest of the series.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Stabler going "I'm not taking drugs" to his bipolar daughter. :laffo:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

MJeff posted:

Benson may have let a dude who got shot die cause she called off an ambulance to get him to talk or something idk

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Having the woman kiss her pregnant wife's belly but not her wife was extremely bullshit.

fartknocker posted:

Benson may have let a dude who got shot die cause she called off an ambulance to get him to talk or something idk

:lol: So I wasn't just imagining that.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
...Blacklist is still going? How old is it, like 10 years?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Like, I think the implication is that guy talked and presumably Benson called the EMTs and he lived, but they went from Benson cancelling the ambulance to commercial and then her and Fin off pursuing the other guy without any mention of shot white guy again so I dunno maybe they just stood there and watched him die who knows it’s SVU anything is possible

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

fartknocker posted:

Like, I think the implication is that guy talked and presumably Benson called the EMTs and he lived, but they went from Benson cancelling the ambulance to commercial and then her and Fin off pursuing the other guy without any mention of shot white guy again so I dunno maybe they just stood there and watched him die who knows it’s SVU anything is possible

If you combine it with the contrast between Benson talking about departmental changes and Benson threatening the wife with "you're in the police state now" you've got this thing going on with Benson either getting rid of or losing the rules when poo poo gets real, and possibly losing control.

But, you know, lol

e: this driving montage whips rear end

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
...did we know before this episode that the sarge was gay?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I dunno that I would advertise bitcoin as "this thing that has gone up and then completely loving cratered multiple times".

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

MJeff posted:

...did we know before this episode that the sarge was gay?

I don’t think so. I think this is the first time her character has gotten fleshed out a bit.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

the future is... off-line

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Stabler shutting down SkyNet to prevent Judgement Day

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
By god, he's diabolical.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Your face, that is.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Well, that was that

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I can't tell if Richie's stupid or brilliant. He's like Cleveland Brown, Jr.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

lmao so we’ve had Wheatley threaten someone on a Ferris wheel and now with an octopus, I hope we get lasers or murderous circus performers next week

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

HOLY gently caress posted:

lmao so we’ve had Wheatley threaten someone on a Ferris wheel and now with an octopus, I hope we get lasers or murderous circus performers next week

I'm quite okay with him intimidating or threatening to murder someone with a method from a different Bond villain each episode.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I was confused about the SVU thing, as I remember it the SVU had nothing to do with arresting the black guy, it was just regular NYC cops. So why is Benson to blame for what another department did?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Oasx posted:

I was confused about the SVU thing, as I remember it the SVU had nothing to do with arresting the black guy, it was just regular NYC cops. So why is Benson to blame for what another department did?

Maybe it's so that the police force can look extra innocent. If we know that Benson is innocent and the show doesn't focus on any of the non-innocent people, then we can forget that there ARE any non-innocent people.

edit: Also, I'm pretty sure the whole thing was presented as a misunderstanding in the first place -- he fit a description beyond race, so it's all just a huge misunderstanding that he's still mad about!

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

fartknocker posted:

I don’t think so. I think this is the first time her character has gotten fleshed out a bit.

Last week they had good chemistry together and Stabler showed he trusted the chief more than Olivia, so of course this week we need to be reminded that Stabler has no chance with the chief and will only be boning Olivia in the future

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

MJeff posted:

...Blacklist is still going? How old is it, like 10 years?

I never understand how it's still going everytime I see an ad for it.

Frankly this new series isn't really Law and Order to me, it has none of the structure or DOINK DOINK that should come with the branded property. it's just a prestige crime drama using the cast from another L&O property.

New SVU hardly is Law and Order anymore, although at least that slide took half the run to give up on the structural premise.

Also they fuckin fridged stablers wife, astoundingly lazy setup.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Frankly this new series isn't really Law and Order to me, it has none of the structure or DOINK DOINK that should come with the branded property. it's just a prestige crime drama using the cast from another L&O property.

Audiences seem to be agreeing with you. While the premiere did fabulous ratings and hung onto almost the entire lead-in from SVU, the next two new episodes finished close to dead last in their time slot.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Timby posted:

Audiences seem to be agreeing with you. While the premiere did fabulous ratings and hung onto almost the entire lead-in from SVU, the next two new episodes finished close to dead last in their time slot.

SVU as a production has been there for a while (structurally) and I kinda hoped this new series would restore some of the OG Law and Order feel/structure even if there were some larger character arcs going on. It is even further from the model than modern SVU.

I just want them to bring back the original version, it's not like there is any shortage of murder real life crime drama to pull from.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Also they fuckin fridged stablers wife, astoundingly lazy setup.

That made me think of Television Without Pity for the first time in 15 years. If that site was still around they'd have been ecstatic seeing that.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Eh if this show bombs they’ll just use it as an excuse to bring Stabler back on SVU.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I'm invested enough in OC's story so far, but, yes, I want the original Law and Order back too. I honestly wouldn't even just mind if they brought back the entire cast of season 20 and just picked up from there. Lupo-Bernard-Rubirosa-Cutter was one of my favorite combos in the entire show and Van Buren and McCoy as the respective authority figures worked super well.

The show just got so much drat better when Branch hosed off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

I really like the original Law and Order format, but I don't know if the show could be brought back, just on a cultural level. By that I mean partially that in terms of political culture you can't just bring back a 'good cops' show so easily. But, further to that, the original Law and Order show emerged in a cultural context where there was this idea of out of control New York City crime. It was something that was instantly recognizable and compelling in and of itself. And... I think that's kinda gone.