Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The video description is one for the ages:

"A controversial tribute to the victims of the 9/11 attacks by the Budweiser Clydesdales and Zack Snyder, who would years later vaporize a section of New York and send Superman crashing into buildings on purpose. This commercial only aired once at the Super Bowl, with a digitally modernized version released in 2011. A Believe Media production."

Lmfao that's amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

Disappointing that this doesn't include Snyder's trademark bullet/shell casing shot but with an empty can of Bud being dropped.

GoldenGun
Oct 21, 2005

In heaven everything is fine

AccountSupervisor posted:

Im betting this got delayed so that WB could comb through every single second to make sure not other bad press could stem from it.

I cant imagine the legal revisions it must have gone through.

It was included with the iTunes purchase from day 1 though (in the Netherlands at least).

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The should’ve subtitled the horses saying “This bud’s for you.”

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

GoldenGun posted:

It was included with the iTunes purchase from day 1 though (in the Netherlands at least).

Ah ok, I was really confused as to why the release never came on HBO Max and there wasnt any announcements about it but I wonder if it was just them stretching out the content as much as possible to retain subs and drive views.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

SuperTeeJay posted:

Disappointing that this doesn't include Snyder's trademark bullet/shell casing shot but with an empty can of Bud being dropped.

Somethingawful needs a Discord-style reaction system, because this is a very funny image and I have nothing to add to it other than "lol".

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Somethingawful needs a Discord-style reaction system, because this is a very funny image and I have nothing to add to it other than "lol".

A good empty quote is it's own reward

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4Jr0pNxWdQ

https://twitter.com/UberKryptonian/status/1382495431763103753

https://twitter.com/UberKryptonian/status/1382503958615363585

goddamn man WB sucks lol

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://twitter.com/UberKryptonian/status/1382496985874325506

Huh that would have tied into Wonder Woman too, interesting

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

The United States posted:

A whole loving organic epic and the execs poo poo all over it lmfao.

You'd be actively encouraging people to go back and watch/buy previous films and discover those connections. And they tossed it in the shitter

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

That guy who thought Steppenwolf was a transformed Ares wasn't far off

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
WOW WB is pretty stupid lol

I was going to type more than this but as I read more of this last page, like, drat WB

What I don't get is like, the put up the $$$ for Snyder to finish his version of Justice League, why did they even announce that it was a dead end story-wise instead of the typical like "we can't really confirm that yet but we'll see" or whatever every entertainment person says about everything, then they could have just kept rolling with this stuff once they realized Snyder's version was Actually Good and people generally liked it.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

It really seems to come down to there being a few embarrassed people at WB who hate this entire situation. AT&T went over their heads to get the movie finished and released on HBOMax but WB itself want Snyder to go away, they want this Fisher mess to blow over, they want to somehow ride it out so that people forget they mucked the whole loving thing up badly, and that some of their buddies heads are still on the chopping block.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
https://twitter.com/UberKryptonian/status/1382508499205246977?s=20

It's one thing for them to clearly want the Snyder era over, but this seems like such a horrible move if I'm reading it right.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I believe that the recent news confirms a theory of mine:

Aquaman was originally shot to resemble Man Of Steel, being lit for high contrast and relatively-desaturated colour grading.

Going by the timeline, production on Aquaman began in late 2016, but WB didn’t make the hard pivot to Josstice style until pretty much the instant Snyder stepped down in May of 2017. Aquaman’s blinding technicolor look (e.g. Mera’s Jolly Rancher hair dye) must have been mandated after shooting had already began.

If you look at what Whedon did to Snyder’s footage, there are some minor tweaks to the tint and whatever, but he basically just doubled the saturation and reduced the contrast by like 60%. And, indeed, simply doubling the contrast and cutting the saturation in half makes Aquaman look: A) extremely good B) near-identical to the original concept art and C) much closer to Snyder Cut’s depiction of Atlantis.

Normally, you’d have to go in and tweak individual shots to make them look acceptable, but WB evidently just applied this blanket effect to everything.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
This is, again, exactly what they attempted with Suicide Squad.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Is it possible to dunk on WB so hard and build that movement that HBO-ATT fires everyone in management?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Gatts posted:

Is it possible to dunk on WB so hard and build that movement that HBO-ATT fires everyone in management?

It's a modern corporation, most of the people involved already moved on to the next grift.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I believe that the recent news confirms a theory of mine:

Aquaman was originally shot to resemble Man Of Steel, being lit for high contrast and relatively-desaturated colour grading.

Going by the timeline, production on Aquaman began in late 2016, but WB didn’t make the hard pivot to Josstice style until pretty much the instant Snyder stepped down in May of 2017. Aquaman’s blinding technicolor look (e.g. Mera’s Jolly Rancher hair dye) must have been mandated after shooting had already began.

If you look at what Whedon did to Snyder’s footage, there are some minor tweaks to the tint and whatever, but he basically just doubled the saturation and reduced the contrast by like 60%. And, indeed, simply doubling the contrast and cutting the saturation in half makes Aquaman look: A) extremely good B) near-identical to the original concept art and C) much closer to Snyder Cut’s depiction of Atlantis.

Normally, you’d have to go in and tweak individual shots to make them look acceptable, but WB evidently just applied this blanket effect to everything.

Interesting. Some shot comparisons of this?

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

ATT is a vile cold-blooded behemoth of a corporation but at least because of that you can trust them to value profit over anything else. the only hope I can see for a Snyderverse is if they recognize the weirdo clique of perverts and psychos that are in charge of DC at WB are also actively bad at their jobs and losing them a shitload of money, in which case I could see them intervening and cleaning house if they calculate it’s to their benefit

seems unlikely though, because it’s probably easier to just ride it out. releasing Snyder’s cut was a no brainer because no movies were coming out, and there was no way they were going to let WB just sit on a tent pole superhero movie to protect some loser’s ego while the whole industry is just hemorrhaging money. but once COVID is over and productions are back on track there’s no pressure. the movies will still make money and they can just leave the angst over critics and fans to WB’s extremely online lunatic execs.

rare situation where you’re hoping big corporate puts its thumb on the scale though yeah

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I wasn't working on it directly, but when Aquaman was in the building I remember thinking that a lot of the raw footage looked pretty flat, though that could just be the result of it being filmed on a greenscreen soundstage where the background look was still TBD.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Whether or not you like the films it is extremely funny that WB got their Billion Dollar Cinematic Universe then instantly chucked it into the trash without even seeing if anyone was interested

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
whoops wrong place....

RBA Starblade posted:

Whether or not you like the films it is extremely funny that WB got their Billion Dollar Cinematic Universe then instantly chucked it into the trash without even seeing if anyone was interested
I think this level of high level in-fighting and executive dysfunction (that is probably normal for any of these giant studios) shows why it is so hard for all these giant conglomerates that envy the MCU so badly to actually copy it. Not that Marvel Disney hasn't had their giant missteps too, see everything surrounding their TV and Netflix series and the Inhumans and comics shenanigans, but it's just at a different level and the executive power struggles (lol Pearlmutter) seem to be mostly resolved instead of ongoing.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Apr 15, 2021

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Pretty off topic for this thread

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
AT&T is probably hesitant to do anything about the WB/DC leadership until Aquaman 2 and Flashpoint are out. The Batman sort of but I think its being treated more as its own universe for now until whatever dumb crossover they attempt.

The future of the DC JL universe pretty much hinges entirely on the success of those, specifically Flashpoint since they are making it the big set up for whatever disjointed multiverse approach they are trying to cobble together.

If those movies arent a success or audiences arent interested in the multiverse approach, I can see AT&T forcing them maybe to pivot back to the Snyderverse and exit the cul-de-sac and you'll see a few resignations.

The best part is what muddled this entire thing the most is how attached they are to a cast from a series of films they are desperate to get away from. They cant let them go and its a mess trying to keep them and the IPs they represent in line.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It’s pretty hilarious that the Snyderverse has turned into a sword of damacles hanging over the suits at Warner Bros.

Jack Kirby sends his regards.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

MacheteZombie posted:

Pretty off topic for this thread
Sorry got the threads mixed up, mis-posted

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
all good

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

ruddiger posted:

It’s pretty hilarious that the Snyderverse has turned into a sword of damacles hanging over the suits at Warner Bros.

Jack Kirby sends his regards.

I hope the cries of #RestoreTheSnyderVerse get louder and angrier and they have to just post through it forever

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Crespolini posted:

Interesting. Some shot comparisons of this?

Original on top:

It's relatively subtle in individual screencaps, but it really makes a difference in motion when things like those jellyfish-lamps in the background aren't competing for your attention in often very busy compositions. The Snyder-y 'metallic' look really augments the costume design - especially the gold parts, which are often practically lemon in the actual film.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 15, 2021

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I feel like you could desaturate it a bit more. It's very subtle.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Vintersorg posted:

I feel like you could desaturate it a bit more. It's very subtle.

Saturation is something that's inherently subtle, since it only affects color. In some shots, or parts of the image, there may be almost no difference. In other parts - like the maroon-and-neon-blue armor work by the antagonists - toning it down a bit makes a huge difference.

It's tempting to go Full Fong and make Aquaman look like 300 or something, but I do have to acknowledge that it is its own film. Plus, at the same time, ZSJL is actually very colorful.

It's just that this scene literally takes place in a warzone, underwater, during a thunderstorm; but the studio went with the neon turquoise look in the lower image:

So, basically, my goal was just to make the water not tropical blue at all times.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
It's a sign of the times that capitalist anxiety is dictating loving color grading.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Please make this film.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Bogus Adventure posted:

Please make this film.

b-b-b-but marvel money!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i wish we'd gotten both this film and the Ava DuVernay version. I'm kind of lukewarm on her work overall but the New Gods sounds like the perfect subject matter for her style

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

hiddenriverninja posted:

b-b-b-but marvel money!

I've been craving a Jack Kirby's Fourth World movie ever since I found out about the characters and the trippy ideas that Jack used to construct it. It doesn't necessarily make a ton of sense, but it's so over-the-top and operatic with its stories. Ultimately, I have something that is arguably similar with Masters of the Universe (Langella's Skeletor makes for a pretty campy Darkseid), but after seeing Darkseid in ZSJL I need this movie to be made.

Also, I really want to see Granny Goodness on the big screen and dubbed over by Ed Asner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2qnYkDAyQI

"Give in to Granny..."

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Not personally keen on the "Big Barda might be amazonian!" idea, and its one of the things I'd be cool with seeing remain out of the script. I think you can do a lot on-screen with having a Darkseid devotee convert without hinting that she has Good Guy Race blood, and it plays against the whole 'epic universe' conceit by shrinking down the superheroines to Greek Island.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Darkseid collecting warriors from universes doesn't seem out of pocket. And her having good guy blood doesn't mean she's going to turn, but it does allow more interplay with Wonder woman and the amazons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

The United States posted:

This was posted on Reddit about a month ago. It's 6 pages supposedly from Johnson's script. I didn't think much of it at the time but it matches up with everything that he talked about in the podcast.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DCEUleaks/comments/lwuduj/leaked_script_from_new_gods_from_before_they/