Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Somfin posted:

The fact that it's one of the early checks that is extremely fail forward, and also considering who Klaasje is and what she's been doing, I'm not convinced that passing it would be anything more than just, y'know, a hungover dude semi-competently hitting on a lady on a mezzanine, which she's probably excruciatingly used to.

it's actually a nice little scene, passing it gives you enough self-awareness to very soberly be like 'god i am a loving hungover mess with literally no memories, why is my first instinct to try and flirt with you'; which klaasje sympathizes with and then you move on without incident

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

World War Mammories posted:

e: while I'm at it, something I didn't pick up on until this, my seventh or eighth playthrough: regarding how Dolores Dei wasn't human. much is made of her love of war games, eg. the figurine gift, her iconography holding a tin soldier, etc. and the way she ruled was described as playing a game against some unknown, long-dead opponent. I don't think there's more to pull from, but it seems plausible that Dei was in some sense a spirit, genius loci, whatever that had the goal of spreading Pale through the "vacuum of cosmos and the stars burning in it." because if Pale comes from the human mind, if something wanted to spread the Pale, it would try to get humans advanced enough to leave Elysium before the planet was consumed entirely...

google 'Weltgeist'

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Is there a benefit to confirming your name with Evrart ahead of doing anything else? Does it change the precinct call at all?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
On the other hand FAILING that early Suggestion check with Klaasje also means In the church when you pass a check to contribute to the HARDCORE and acquire the Hardcore Aesthetic thought, one of the options becomes "I want to have gently caress with you."

Also if you sneak into the harbor and raid Rene's booth for medicine, Reaction Speed can tell you to think of literally anything else and one of the choices there is the same thing but more regretful.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

World War Mammories posted:

weird, but of course plausible. garte doesn't have a dialogue option about it? kim hasn't brought up going to sleep? no options to bug anyone for cash?

This is probably my 5th playthrough, so I know how it is supposed to go. At the moment, two options pop up - Kim plus a thought about home. I just reloaded and replayed the moment, and it looks like if I click the thought before talking with Kim, Kim's dialogue disappears. If I do it the other way around, then it all works fine.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
https://clips.twitch.tv/EnticingStrangePenguinFailFish

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

whatever this was, it's gone now

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

dmboogie posted:

whatever this was, it's gone now

weird, it didn't get taken down, it's just truncating part of the clip url. try the direct url https://clips.twitch.tv/EnticingStrangePenguinFailFish-IW0xts5m_jdWfpjv

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Frida Call Me posted:

weird, it didn't get taken down, it's just truncating part of the clip url. try the direct url https://clips.twitch.tv/EnticingStrangePenguinFailFish-IW0xts5m_jdWfpjv

Holy poo poo that's loving hilarious

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

I am very mad that the clip ends before the tutorial agent says "föminism"

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
I danced so hard my character was racist to Kim without a choice. I feel so bad.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Chekans 3 16 posted:

I danced so hard my character was racist to Kim without a choice. I feel so bad.

This is one of the two (2) times when savescumming is legal.

The other time is if you don't get the necktie.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Somfin posted:

Starting up a 2/4/4/2 with Conceptualization tagged, should be a fun little ride.

Also it is mandatory that new players be advised to fail the early Klaasje red check.

This playthrough I failed running away from Garte for the first time (for some reason I'd always succeeded the roll even with poo poo MOT scores). It is *majestic*.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Kobal2 posted:

This playthrough I failed running away from Garte for the first time (for some reason I'd always succeeded the roll even with poo poo MOT scores). It is *majestic*.

This is the one check in the game that I pray fails every time I get it.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
The ending of the communism vision quest got some tears out of me. It's really sweet and sincere and hopeful

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Any way to (evarts 2nd favor) forge the signatures without loosing the green ape pen?

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

Avalerion posted:

Any way to (evarts 2nd favor) forge the signatures without loosing the green ape pen?

You can go in a place where you can sleep and forge them yourself if you pass the check. I failed mine and lost my pen :(

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Avalerion posted:

I had one of Kim's nice blue pens and I didn't lose it after I passed the check. I didn't even know it was a thing until my most recent playthrough!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Chekans 3 16 posted:

You can go in a place where you can sleep and forge them yourself if you pass the check. I failed mine and lost my pen :(

Idiot Doom Spiral can keep the pen, I'm keeping his jacket :smug:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Hey guys I'm starting a new game and I'm freaking out about what build to make my character, I'm thinking of going for a 'dumb brute with a a heart of gold' build by making my stats 1 - 4 - 5 -2 with my main skill being 'empathy' or 'Volition' or maybe selecting 'endurance'.

how is this build? what builds are better? what do you recommend?

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Al-Saqr posted:

Hey guys I'm starting a new game and I'm freaking out about what build to make my character, I'm thinking of going for a 'dumb brute with a a heart of gold' build by making my stats 1 - 4 - 5 -2 with my main skill being 'empathy' or 'Volition' or maybe selecting 'endurance'.

Conceptualizing your build as better or worse is the wrong way to think of it. It’s more like what elements you want brought forward more prominently. Someone else who knows the game inside and out will be able to tell you if your build matches your intent, but it’s pretty safe to say you can do what you want. The only mechanical drawbacks with attributes at 1 involve having low moral or physical health pools so you can get killed in a dialogue check if it doesn’t go your way. In that case you might have to savescum.

But this really isn’t like other games. Optimizing and gaming the system misses the point of it, really. You’ll have a good time no matter what.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Al-Saqr posted:

this build will naturally give you high inland empire and shivers (not to mention half light and electrochemistry) so this sure sounds like a winner to me

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I will say that it’s worth it to do a max stat cheat run at least once but under no circumstances should you do it before you already have a couple of runs under your belt.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Al-Saqr posted:

There is no better or worse really. It's more about what you want your character to be like. Every build will miss content, there is no dump stat or trap build.

Like you can just pick a fictional detective and choose your stats based on that, or somebody you know, or whatever.

Just pick different stats for replays.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

christmas boots posted:

I will say that it’s worth it to do a max stat cheat run at least once but under no circumstances should you do it before you already have a couple of runs under your belt.

How do you do that?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

theCalamity posted:

How do you do that?

You have to edit the save file, I think it's a JSON in the zipped save and you can just edit with notepad.

The reason I suggest it is because you get to have all the voices chime in constantly and play off each other and there are some legendary passives that you probably wouldn't come across organically unless you were trying to min-max a particular skill, so I think it can be nice as a "cleanup" run but it absolutely goes against a major part of the game design

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

christmas boots posted:

You have to edit the save file, I think it's a JSON in the zipped save and you can just edit with notepad.

The reason I suggest it is because you get to have all the voices chime in constantly and play off each other and there are some legendary passives that you probably wouldn't come across organically unless you were trying to min-max a particular skill, so I think it can be nice as a "cleanup" run but it absolutely goes against a major part of the game design

I think I’ll try that. I beat it twice back in 2019 and just recently played it again. It’ll give me an excuse to play it again

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Alright, finished my first run of the game last night, and I loved it. With games like this I generally shoot for a completionist, good-guy type of thing for my first playthrough, and I think I was pretty successful there. My one big regret is that I didn't manage to get the boots off the corpse, because it complicates my quest to obtain both the "never look at the body" achievement and the "all suited up" one. But then I'm already looking at a few more runs anyway if I want to get all the vision quests

I went 5-4-2-1 with a Conceptualization signature for this run, so I'm definitely going to do a more physically-oriented one next time. And since I still need the achievements for saying I'm the law, being boring (no idea how I didn't get this one), and warning of the apocalypse, I suppose I'll focus on those too.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

ShakeZula posted:

Alright, finished my first run of the game last night, and I loved it. With games like this I generally shoot for a completionist, good-guy type of thing for my first playthrough, and I think I was pretty successful there. My one big regret is that I didn't manage to get the boots off the corpse, because it complicates my quest to obtain both the "never look at the body" achievement and the "all suited up" one. But then I'm already looking at a few more runs anyway if I want to get all the vision quests

I went 5-4-2-1 with a Conceptualization signature for this run, so I'm definitely going to do a more physically-oriented one next time. And since I still need the achievements for saying I'm the law, being boring (no idea how I didn't get this one), and warning of the apocalypse, I suppose I'll focus on those too.

let me echo what eoraymel will no doubt post: go heavy on half light

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Half-Light will never lead you astray.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Kobal2 posted:

Haha yeah

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

oscarthewilde posted:

google 'Weltgeist'

oh sheesh I missed this reply.

now I am definitely not well-read, but does that describe her? my first instinct is that the world-soul of Elysium would want humans to die out so it doesn't get erased by Pale - ref. the phasmid saying that all the nonsentient organisms, cnidarians and bilaterals etc, fear humanity and the pale it produces. but then, world-soul of the literal planet FF7-style is very different from world-soul of the force of history like Napoleon, which Innocences are explicitly described to be, and presumably such a thing would have the interests of humanity in mind rather than the biosphere. and of course the conjecture that pale is "reified past."

...hum. makes me think of Dolores Dei being kind of like the universe's agent on a suicide mission. pushing humanity forward (even though "we were supposed to discover this ourselves!"), producing more and more humans with pigs and wheat like Noid says, making more and more pale, snuffing out the source before it can escape Elysium and threaten the cosmos.

I don't know poo poo about poo poo except that I want the loving BOOK KURVITZ

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

this political quest is amazing, im loving dying at this dialogue (which greatly rewards if you invested in Shivers btw)

frajaq fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 16, 2021

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

:thunk:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Frida Call Me posted:

surprised the milk brain liberal centrist likes the fascist path, he almost rejects in disappointingly

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Frida Call Me posted:

Oh my god, the tutorial agent bit here is incredible.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Maybe a dumb question, but because I have a horrible migraine right now and can't really get into playing, myself, I am more interested in watching someone else play. Are there are suggested LPs for this? Don't wanna wind up watching a total idiot (of any sort, idiots with bad politics, included)

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Bifauxnen posted:

Yeah, this is a great one:

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5dr1EHvfwpNZ5nYHgJtTgRr4no7m-UWY

The guy often pauses to ramble about political side topics the game got him thinking about, and he's pretty lefty

This is an LP of the original game though, so it won't have any of the Final Cut voices.

Speaking of those voices, I just got to the Billie Mejean scene, drat they just nailed it.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Maybe a dumb question, but because I have a horrible migraine right now and can't really get into playing, myself, I am more interested in watching someone else play. Are there are suggested LPs for this? Don't wanna wind up watching a total idiot (of any sort, idiots with bad politics, included)

https://youtu.be/8ZBuv0y5yAY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

GlyphGryph posted:

Oh my god, the tutorial agent bit here is incredible.

Watching Cohh go through this has been great, every time he is faced with a bunch of political responses he declares them all to be communism and goes with the boring cop one

Terra-da-loo! posted:

There was a good LP of it here that's probably up on the LP archives if those are still a thing. That or once streamers wrap it up they will have VODs to watch