Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

In the not-too-distant future, there will be even more MST3K.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mst3k/makemoremst3k/

Joel Hodgson has started another Kickstarter program to bring the show back, this time as an independent entity. They're already going to be able to make at least 3 new episodes, but with more dollars, they'll be able to add

- still more episodes
- an app (just a reskinned Vimeo, iirc)
- a year's worth of live streaming events (in addition to the episodes)
- shorts

Depending on the tier pledged, there are subscriptions to the app, tickets to the live shows, t-shirts, posters, a loving snow globe for some reason, etc. They're teaching some classes (puppetry, riffing, magic) as add-ons, too.

Everybody from the reboot cast is back on board, so there won't be that breathless quality of the first Netflix season.

I'm not affiliated, but I thought I'd spread the word, and also Aardvark! said it was OK.

EDIT:

Some other post-MST3K projects that are :krad::

Rifftrax:

Mike Nelson, Kevin Murphy, and Bill Corbett (and only slightly less often Bridget Nelson and Mary Jo Pehl) have for years been making fun of movies. They've got an app that will sync their commentary to a movie you're watching, so they don't even have to get the rights to make fun of movies (but they do a lot of that, too). Guests have included Weird Al, Paul F Tompkins, and that piece of poo poo guy who used to be here, but that's not their fault. When times are not so pandemicky, they do shows that are broadcast to movie theaters across the country. They've got a subscription service that includes a lot of their popular stuff.

https://rifftrax.com

The Mads:

Frank Conniff Jr and Trace Beaulieu make fun of movies, but I don't know as much about it! They're currently doing monthly shows for :10bux::

https://www.themadsareback.com/

Empty Sandwich fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Was the reboot even any good?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I’m sorry OP but I can’t support anything that employs wife-murderer and Minecraft Protagonist Patton Oswalt

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

the reboot is good. better than a lot of rifftrax.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Who What Now posted:

I liked it. Cry Wilderness was an instant classic.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Mega64 posted:

I’m sorry OP but I can’t support anything that employs wife-murderer and Minecraft Protagonist Patton Oswalt

I can certainly understand this position.

Mulaney Power Move posted:

the reboot is good. better than a lot of rifftrax.

agreed. there's something about the conceit and structure that I like better than Rifftrax (though I also have a subscription to their Friends thing, and when they're on, they're really loving good)

my favorite of the old run is Cave Dwellers and my favorite of the new run is Ator, which CD is a sequel to

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Linux Pirate posted:

:emptyquote:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I thought it got reincarnated as Riffrax? Alas.

Also The Castle Of Fu Manchu one is really really loving good.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

EorayMel posted:

I thought it got reincarnated as Riffrax? Alas.

originally, Joel (the guy who came up with MST3K and original host) left the show after some disputes with Jim over creative direction. Mike became the head writer of the show and the new host

you may remember Trace and Frank, they were the original evil doctor and sidekick. (well, a guy named J. Elvis was the very first sidekick). Trace left the show and then Frank left not long after, their work on screen was replaced by Bill, Kevin, and Mary Jo (all writers moving in front of the camera)

in 1999, the show got canceled. no more MST3K. at this point, Jim owns the show and nobody else can make any MST3K

not too long after that, Mike came up with the idea of Rifftrax. same concept, different execution. Bill and Kevin work with Mike on this

Joel also moved into this vacuum and created Cinematic Titanic, which is more stage and live event oriented, but still making fun of bad movies. he was joined by Trace, Frank, Mary Jo, and J. Elvis

both Rifftrax and Cinematic Titanic are very good, but the nature of CT is such that it doesn't have as much longevity, where Rifftrax has been going for a long time now

at some point, Jim made some official MST3K cartoon shorts. they were very bad and had nothing to do with making fun of movies

eventually, Joel was able to get the rights to MST3K back from Jim. this lead to a kickstarter, which lead to MST3K getting picked up for distribution by Netflix. this is pretty much Joel's thing, everyone else is busy with other stuff but sometimes they come around to MST3K

Netflix paid for two seasons and canceled the show. lame

now this kickstarter is for another crop of MST3K stuff, and the creation of a bespoke streaming service to release episodes and live events. since Joel has already navigated kickstarting new seasons, this is very likely to succeed

Who What Now posted:

yeah it was really good. the main reason people don't like it is just because it is new, no nostalgia factor. the riffs are a bit fast paced and its just a little weird to hear MST3K jokes about ready player one and internet memes instead of old television shows or obscure political figures. but aside from that the quality of the episodes makes it worth a watch. Cry Wilderness is a classic episode and Carnival Magic is mind baffling

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 15, 2021

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

I saw the live show in Brooklyn back in the before times and it was hilarious. I also got pretty drunk and then went to the taco bell across the street after the show. P solid evening overall.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
The remake was all right imo, didn't know that Netflix canned it

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

a good summary... I updated the OP with the current post-MST3K projects

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Colonel Cancer posted:

The remake was all right imo, didn't know that Netflix canned it

the problem i think is that MST3K is not a binge watch show, and netflix really loves when people binge

the first netflix season was more traditional, 14 mostly standalone episodes. the second season had 6 episodes, i think as an experiment to see if it would become bingable? definitely it didn't work but the episodes are pretty good anyway

oh well, gently caress netflix. MST3K has a large enough fanbase to exist independently of distributors

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

originally, Joel (the guy who came up with MST3K and original host) left the show after some disputes with Jim over creative direction. Mike became the head writer of the show and the new host

Just a correction, Mike was the head writer since the second season of the show, i.e. the first season it aired on Comedy Channel.

Yes, I'm a pedant.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Who What Now posted:

The movie selection was good. The jokes and skits were bad. It's fan fiction MST3k because that's what it literally is.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

There is a “MST3k” channel on Roku that just plays back to back episodes of the old show all day long. It’s pretty great and totally free if you have a Roku device (my cheapo TCL tv came with it hardwired).

It’s in the “live tv” section or whatever

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Jonah is an excellent host... maybe even my favorite host. I was prepared to hate the reboot but loved it almost instantly and was super bummed when netflix cancelled.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i always wanted to see reptilicus anyway so i was sold immediately despite being a curmudgeon who doesn't like new things

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Mary Jo and Bridgette Riff Trax are lowkey some of the best MST-like content bar none.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Captain Lavender posted:

Mary Jo and Bridgette Riff Trax are lowkey some of the best MST-like content bar none.

I cosign this statement

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

The movie selection was good. The jokes and skits were bad. It's fan fiction MST3k because that's what it literally is.

I just remember they tried to rapid fire jokes the entire time, none of which were funny.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Soo just like the original MST3k amirite

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Jonah is a schlub.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I donated last weekend with some of Grandpa Joe's cash.

Linux Pirate posted:

Avalanche, Yongary, and Reptilicus are also great.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

a peck of pickled peckers posted:

I saw the live show in Brooklyn back in the before times and it was hilarious. I also got pretty drunk and then went to the taco bell across the street after the show. P solid evening overall.

Same except high instead of drunk.

First weed I had smoked in like 10 years and I laughed my rear end off.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Hazo posted:

Avalanche, Yongary, and Reptilicus are also great.

Avalanche is also good, but I love both Reptilicus and Yongary.

it turns out kaiju from places that aren't Japan or the US can be charming

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I just couldn't get into the new MST3K. The movies were nuts sure but the riffs were far too rapid fire and the new host/bots just didn't have the same quality of delivery or chemistry as Joel/Trace/Kevin or Mike/Bill/Kevin.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
in defense of the Netflix MST3K;

season 1 of the original run is bad, and season 2 isn't much better. that's completely ignoring what's generally called season 0.

season 3 is loving great, though.

I'm hoping it'll be similar with the current batch... season 11 wasn't the worst, even if you disliked it, and season 12 fixed a lot of the problems. now that everybody is seasoned, I think it'll be much more like what we remember. but different.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Empty Sandwich posted:

season 1 of the original run is bad, and season 2 isn't much better. that's completely ignoring what's generally called season 0.

I'm hoping it'll be similar with the current batch... season 11 wasn't the worst, even if you disliked it, and season 12 fixed a lot of the problems. now that everybody is seasoned, I think it'll be much more like what we remember. but different.

I disagree. Season 1 was fine. Season 2 is great. They were also still learning poo poo back then. Seasons 11 and 12 were made by veteran comedy writers. Hell, the lead writer was the lead writer of the Daily Show and he runs a weekly podcast where they talk about bad movies. No excuse for the bad stuff in those seasons. Also as mentioned above, the skits were bad. I can't remember a single skit from season 12 but season 11 was nothing but skits based around pieces of laser-cut wood.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
I've heard Netflix has this thing about giving shows 3 seasons- like it's hard for any show to get picked up past that unless it's a big success. Which doesn't make sense for a show like this because they should really just be pumping these out for minimal cost.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Pontificating rear end posted:

I've heard Netflix has this thing about giving shows 3 seasons- like it's hard for any show to get picked up past that unless it's a big success. Which doesn't make sense for a show like this because they should really just be pumping these out for minimal cost.
Even if they are a big success apparently unless you're Stranger Things, cheap as dirt, or animated you have no chance of more than 2-3 seasons if you're lucky.

Netflix seems to bank on the "splash" factor where new releases drive new subscriptions because that's one of their chief metrics to sell to shareholders and investors, so after 2-3 seasons it seems "Another run of Daredevil" or "Now even more Santa Clarita Diet" just doesn't have the same splash they want.

MST3k was no different.

Empty Sandwich posted:

loving facts. I grew up with old MST3k and--while I do feel like the Netflix MST3k needed to slow its loving roll with the jokes and just let the movie play out--their actual content was on par with all but the very best of the classic stuff. Like you goons do remember that one of the default old jokes for MST3k was literal Family Guy "call out an actor's name" level humor to get a laugh because back before internet proliferation recognizing Jack Palance or w/e was one of the ways you marked yourself as part of the "in" crowd for movie geeks.

If Joel is making more-- OG crew or Netflix crew-- I say bring it the gently caress on.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Apr 16, 2021

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

nuketulsa posted:

Jonah is an excellent host... maybe even my favorite host. I was prepared to hate the reboot but loved it almost instantly and was super bummed when netflix cancelled.

This is pretty much how I feel about it. I can't say Jonah is my favorite host, but he fits with Mike and Joel. I really don't have a favorite.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Can anyone share or reccomend something from mst3k?

I see it mentioned a lot but any time I've tried to watch a bit, of which there is too much to know what's good, it's been pretty ropey.
That rifftrax meet mrs swenson preview they are pushing is rough.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

cubicle gangster posted:

I see it mentioned a lot but any time I've tried to watch a bit, of which there is too much to know what's good, it's been pretty ropey.

Manos: the Hands of Fate is one of the more "famous" ones but I don't think it's very good as a start.

Space Mutiny is probably a good one. So is the episode on Gamera.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
They're all generally the same thing. Some of my favorites are Parts: The Clonus Horror, Boggy Creek 2, Pumaman, Pod People, and Space Mutiny.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

"What should I watch first" is such a loaded question that's guaranteed to start a fight.

Don't watch Manos to start off, despite what MST3K nerds say about it being the "best" episode. It's brutal.

Honestly the new season might be a good starting spot. Cry Wilderness and Avalanche are good.

For older episodes, Eeegah! and Pumaman are pretty accessible.

But overall yeah, Space Mutiny is an absolute classic. If there's a litmus test of whether MST3K is for you, that's probably the one. My wife generally hates the show, but she loves that I love it so we went to the Rifftrax Live Space Mutiny and she laughed her rear end off.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

cubicle gangster posted:

IMO, Prince of Space. The writing at that point was down to a science and the movie itself is a treat if you like goofy old Japanese sci-fi with questionable translations.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

cubicle gangster posted:

I would start with a short.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Naix-f6KSIg

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Discovered MST3K and rifftrax streams on twitch like a week and a half ago and have just been watching the gently caress out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Pumaman, Escape 2000 and Mitchell might be my favorites. But that one with the Santa and the devil is insanity and I love every second of it.