Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

IIRC the fake was made of spare tallgeese parts... somehow, and I think Tallgeese was NeoTitanium, not Gundamiun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The real ones came from Gundanium Alloy. Nobody knows where this is but they clearly were indestructible and somewhere in outer space.

overlordbunny
Feb 16, 2011

Gundanium alloy could only be made in zero gravity, and was too expensive to produce to be used in mass production.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

DamnGlitch posted:

IIRC the fake was made of spare tallgeese parts... somehow, and I think Tallgeese was NeoTitanium, not Gundamiun.

The scientists who made the Operation Meteor Gundams were all also involved in creating the original Tallgeese, honestly I figure if you stripped a Gundam down to it's insides(without leaving it a partially melted and exploded mess like what usually happens) it and a similarly stripped down Tallgeese would look very similar(my favorite fan rendition of what the original Wing Zero would have looked like if it had been built is basically just a Tallgeese with the Wing Zero's head, wings, and weapons tacked on), kinda like how the Maganac is essentially just a reskinned Leo

Indeed one of my favorite things about the After Colony setting is how literally all Mobile Suits are direct descendents of the Tallgeese, kinda the opposite of UC where MS development is kinda muddy a lot of the time

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

overlordbunny posted:

Gundanium alloy could only be made in zero gravity, and was too expensive to produce to be used in mass production.

But they made all the later suits with gundamiuam alloy like the Virgo. Are they gundams?

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

Booourns posted:

Not enough people know about the Smallgeese

Smallgeese was my favorite. I think I still have the Tokyopop manga for both the main Wing series and G-Unti in a box at my grandparents, along with some stuff from the church they got in to that was founded by Sylvia Browne

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Tae posted:

But they made all the later suits with gundamiuam alloy like the Virgo. Are they gundams?

Yes, and so are rick dias's

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Booourns posted:

Not enough people know about the Smallgeese

I need to know more about this beautiful boy.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

drrockso20 posted:

The scientists who made the Operation Meteor Gundams were all also involved in creating the original Tallgeese, honestly I figure if you stripped a Gundam down to it's insides(without leaving it a partially melted and exploded mess like what usually happens) it and a similarly stripped down Tallgeese would look very similar(my favorite fan rendition of what the original Wing Zero would have looked like if it had been built is basically just a Tallgeese with the Wing Zero's head, wings, and weapons tacked on), kinda like how the Maganac is essentially just a reskinned Leo

Indeed one of my favorite things about the After Colony setting is how literally all Mobile Suits are direct descendents of the Tallgeese, kinda the opposite of UC where MS development is kinda muddy a lot of the time

Have you seen the Tallgeese Flugel?1

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

This thread got me curious about Gundam, so I decided to start with Wing. I'm about 30 episodes in.

My favorite character so far is Pagan the butler. He can fly planes, he can hack machines. My dude knows how to conceal a pistol. He's loyal. His name is the best. What's not to love about this guy. I'm hoping he gets his day to really shine.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Who? I've seen Wing, and I've no idea who you're on about. Do Relena or Dorothy have a butler who only has a tiny amount of screentime or something?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Yes, he's Relena's butler and just a consistent background character doing a wide range of stuff like they say. Useful man

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Second best butler

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Not every Butler can be Norman Burg

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Arcsquad12 posted:

Not every Butler can be Norman Burg

Very similar skill set though.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Second best butler

Yeah, even sticking to Gundam, there's Raymond Bishop.

His Mobile Suit is piloted with a steering wheel and it still can keep up with Gundams.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I watched gundam wing high as gently caress and do not remember this character at all.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

subs definitely make him stand out more, since his name is Pagan after all. then it gets the different pronunciation treatment as Pah-gahn so even now i can remember Relena saying it.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

is is true char appears in the zz manga

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Norman is such a cool dude, any other anime and he'd be easy top three, big O is so drat stacked that he barely cracks top ten

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Stairmaster posted:

is is true char appears in the zz manga

I wasn't even aware there was a ZZ manga, though it's not like it should be a surprise I suppose. I know there's a ZZ novel, written by Akinori Endo, one of the main writers for Zeta and ZZ, and I'm pretty sure Char doesn't appear in that; instead it gives more depth to Glemy, establishing him as being related to Gihren (a clone if I recall) and one of Neo Zeon's scientists working with Glemy to push him into power instead of Haman.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Stairmaster posted:

I watched gundam wing high as gently caress and do not remember this character at all.

I watched Wing stone cold sober and I don’t remember that character. Though really my memory of Wing is a huge blur and I don’t really remember anything between the first episode and Endless Waltz. Do we ever actually see the colonies being oppressed? I feel like it’s stated they are oppressed but I don’t know if we ever actually see it besides maybe some soldiers trying to get into Trowa’s circus without paying.

Also, do we ever find out who made the Full Frontal clone? I don’t remember it ever being revealed in Unicorn or Narative.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Pulcinella posted:

I watched Wing stone cold sober and I don’t remember that character. Though really my memory of Wing is a huge blur and I don’t really remember anything between the first episode and Endless Waltz. Do we ever actually see the colonies being oppressed? I feel like it’s stated they are oppressed but I don’t know if we ever actually see it besides maybe some soldiers trying to get into Trowa’s circus without paying.

Also, do we ever find out who made the Full Frontal clone? I don’t remember it ever being revealed in Unicorn or Narative.

It came up in the novel. Monaghan Bakharov, Darcia's lovely son, funded the project as part of his plots against the Earth Federation.

Never gets mentioned in the anime, though.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chiasaur11 posted:

It came up in the novel. Monaghan Bakharov, Darcia's lovely son, funded the project as part of his plots against the Earth Federation.

Never gets mentioned in the anime, though.

It's implied in NT, given Monaghan is in charge of the crazy Char clone there.

tsob fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Apr 17, 2021

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Oh hey they're doing another Romance of the Three Kingdoms SD Gundam show

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
so are there any sd gundam shows that are good? not adequate or tolerable, actually good. i don't know much about that sub-franchise other than that it exists.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

tsob posted:

It's implied in NT, given Monaghan is in charge of the crazy Char clone there.

Given how important Monaghan is, I'm really bothered he doesn't get more screentime in NT, let alone that he doesn't even appear in the Unicorn OVA.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm assuming given how much of NT is just foreshadowing for Unicorn 2: Time Bigaloo, that Monaghan will feature more prominently in that and probably be a major antagonist.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Wasn't NT a big mess? I'm a Unicorn fan, and I recall skipping NT because everyone was dumping on it.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
NT is completely passable, it's just one huge nothing of a film. It contains no characters you'll remember and nothing of any importance happens in it.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I saw NT in theaters and while it was entertaining in terms of spectacle, it also made me realize that I have had my absolute fill of Unicorn and psycho-frame nonsense

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

so are there any sd gundam shows that are good? not adequate or tolerable, actually good. i don't know much about that sub-franchise other than that it exists.

The zaki zaki hour

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
NT might have been passable if it didn't decide to hack its pacing to pieces with terrible editing choices.

I mean, it's not Twilight Axis bad, but the editing is still bad.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Lemon-Lime posted:

NT is completely passable, it's just one huge nothing of a film. It contains no characters you'll remember and nothing of any importance happens in it.

I think calling it passable is very generous. It has some absolutely horrific editing choices and uses of flashbacks that constantly break up its own narrative flow and make it actively annoying to watch.

The plot being a giant nothingburger of nothing doesn't even really bother me that much in comparison to every single action sequence or climax in the entire movie being paused by at least one(but usually more) flashback of characters standing around doing nothing for several minutes.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kanos posted:

I think calling it passable is very generous. It has some absolutely horrific editing choices and uses of flashbacks that constantly break up its own narrative flow and make it actively annoying to watch.

The plot being a giant nothingburger of nothing doesn't even really bother me that much in comparison to every single action sequence or climax in the entire movie being paused by at least one(but usually more) flashback of characters standing around doing nothing for several minutes.

Yeah, Narrative is a potentially mediocre film made bad by its poor editing decisions. Even without those flaws, it'd just be passable, but as we got it? It's bad.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

narrative is like, ok. i'm glad i watched it but i don't want to watch it again. the plot is poorly explained and kinda dull

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

narrative is like, ok. i'm glad i watched it but i don't want to watch it again. the plot is poorly explained and kinda dull

I agree with sentences two and three. But I also have a small bit of buyer's remorse about it. I don't mind psychoframe newtype nonsense as much as I did at one point, but NT leaned WAY too hard into it.

Isn't the whole "gundam possessed by a Newtype" thing the plot of The Blue Destiny?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
No no. That was "AI possessed by the newtype ghost of the person it was based on and THEN implanted into a Gundam."

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Except the newtype turned out to be alive and okay once all copies of the exam system were destroyed.

But don't worry, they made a copy of the exam system that was less unstable called the hades system.

NT is so disappointing because there's a few cool characters and then they introduce the main character who literally exists to suck up screen time away from everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Argas posted:

NT is so disappointing because there's a few cool characters and then they introduce the main character who literally exists to suck up screen time away from everyone else.

Just trying to copy the unicorn experience