Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

Batterypowered7 posted:

Alright, what are your meme auto-messages for when you mount a monster?

Mine says "Put your wystones on!"

“Regulators, mount up!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Maybe everyone knew this, I'm just finding out:

That aerial switch skill for the bow - it can be hard to aim down quickly. If you don't press ZL at all, just press ZR or A to shoot, it will automatically aim down and right in front of you. Probably hits the ground a meter ahead of your position. It's not as precise, but it's super easy, and will hit any large monster that's in front of you.

Now to figure out how to control the camera during the Lance's spiral thrust...

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Captain Lavender posted:

Maybe everyone knew this, I'm just finding out:

That aerial switch skill for the bow - it can be hard to aim down quickly. If you don't press ZL at all, just press ZR or A to shoot, it will automatically aim down and right in front of you. Probably hits the ground a meter ahead of your position. It's not as precise, but it's super easy, and will hit any large monster that's in front of you.

Now to figure out how to control the camera during the Lance's spiral thrust...

It’s better to just move the camera without aiming for the first shot and then aiming with zL. You can release zL to adjust your aim quickly if the monster moves too. Once you get used to this you become a god.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Knuc U Kinte posted:

It’s better to just move the camera without aiming for the first shot and then aiming with zL. You can release zL to adjust your aim quickly if the monster moves too. Once you get used to this you become a god.

That's a good tip.

Sloth Socks
May 13, 2005

dangling is the finest of all the arts in all the worlds

Lipstick Apathy
Whoa, just got my first hard crash! Was in a rampage, against Ibushi, and we were wailing on him when he was down. I sent my Kinsect out and boom, crash to Switch home.

Just FYI - never try IG.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Starting to get very mad at Pawprint Stamp farming

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I’ve been trying to get a Tigrex Maw for 2 days now. It just won’t drop

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Reiche posted:

I’ve been trying to get a Tigrex Maw for 2 days now. It just won’t drop

Yeah but at least you get to make other stuff in the meantime, or at least save for decos

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
A fever came over me and when it passed, I had killed two Basarios for their tails and crafted the full armor set of them and made a gun lance. I don’t even know how to use it. I then decided to go hunt a Barioth which was a bad idea. I think I need to watch some videos....

No regrets though.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I got behind by a bunch of pages, but in short it warms my heart to see so many people excited about Lance thanks to Spiral Thrust :allears:

I still miss Iceborne's Counter Claw, but Spiral Thrust is a loving dope addition. Gives Lance a nice burst damage option, and makes it even more mobile for no loving reason other than to break the game :swoon:

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
The worst part about farming pawprint stamps is having to fight my good buddies. But dang I really wanted that HBG and SnS.

Even though the damage doesn’t really hold up in HR, the Felyne SnS just has such high paralysis factor that I think it makes up for it (in group hunts). By bringing that and a palico with a paralysis weapon and a status up skill, I’m getting three paralysis applications per monster on average.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
My favorite part of this thread and this game is how everyone comes in here and describes a weapon as gloriously overpowered and how much they love it and its changes. :unsmith:

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

PringleCreamEgg posted:

The worst part about farming pawprint stamps is having to fight my good buddies. But dang I really wanted that HBG and SnS.

Even though the damage doesn’t really hold up in HR, the Felyne SnS just has such high paralysis factor that I think it makes up for it (in group hunts). By bringing that and a palico with a paralysis weapon and a status up skill, I’m getting three paralysis applications per monster on average.

Bad new friend, go look at the Felyne Dual Blades and get back out there and slam some cats

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Fashion and function. Two of the fiercest brought together: Rajang and Bullfango.

Need to kill some Khezus to craft 5x Thunder Attack decos and I'm done.

Batterypowered7 posted:

I'm using a Condensed Spinning Slash set for the Narga CB and am also gonna make a Bludgeoner set for the Rajang CB. High-five!

:hfive:

v1ld fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 16, 2021

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Is there an elemental cap in Rise?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the fact that i have a dog named after my dog that kinda looks like my dog and another dog named after my dead dog that kinda looks like my dead dog makes monster hunter rise game of the year 2021

there's cats too but im allergic to them so i might just start bringing two dogs. can dogs gather for me?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

I am upset that they made Mycology gems 3-slotters. This is an outrage!

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Batterypowered7 posted:

I am upset that they made Mycology gems 3-slotters. This is an outrage!

It’s simply too powerful of a skill for anything less

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Achmed Jones posted:

the fact that i have a dog named after my dog that kinda looks like my dog and another dog named after my dead dog that kinda looks like my dead dog makes monster hunter rise game of the year 2021

there's cats too but im allergic to them so i might just start bringing two dogs. can dogs gather for me?

Unfortunately no.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Kirios posted:

Are there any recommended MH Youtubers to keep an eye on beyond Arekkz and gaijin hunter?

The Monster Hunter Philippines Community: https://youtube.com/c/MonsterHunterWorldPHElites

The Artful Maestro series (and the Battle Dance video, specifically) is my favorite thing on the channel. There's also the Artful Dodger series, which is good poo poo for any dodge-focused weapon.

msr
Aug 2, 2004
oh ok
I'm using LS and really enjoying the counter / sheathing mechanics, but I wind up accidentally rolling through the monster half the time when I go to special sheath. It's like ZR isn't registering, or something. 99% of the time when this happens it's following the quick A Button poke. Other moves seem safer / less likely to result in a roll. It hasn't gotten me carted or anything, since the opposite side of a monster is generally pretty safe, but it does make the weapon feel kind of loose and unpredictable. I've tried deliberately leading the combined press with ZR, but it doesn't seem to make a difference, either in handheld mode or with the pro controller.

Has anyone else struggled with this or figured out how to pull them off more reliably? I feel insane asking this since it's just pressing two buttons simultaneously, but it's bugging the heck out of me.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

msr posted:

I'm using LS and really enjoying the counter / sheathing mechanics, but I wind up accidentally rolling through the monster half the time when I go to special sheath. It's like ZR isn't registering, or something. 99% of the time when this happens it's following the quick A Button poke. Other moves seem safer / less likely to result in a roll. It hasn't gotten me carted or anything, since the opposite side of a monster is generally pretty safe, but it does make the weapon feel kind of loose and unpredictable. I've tried deliberately leading the combined press with ZR, but it doesn't seem to make a difference, either in handheld mode or with the pro controller.

Has anyone else struggled with this or figured out how to pull them off more reliably? I feel insane asking this since it's just pressing two buttons simultaneously, but it's bugging the heck out of me.

I find ZR is registering less reliably when wirebug jumping. Noticed it start happening this week. I don’t know if I’m rushing another action and ZR simply is being blocked, if it’s a controller problem (though it happens with my joycon and pro), or if a bug with ZR exists. It’s super annoying with bug jumping and I imagine it happening with a weapon is even more so.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Rajang CB is a hell of a Bludgeoner weapon. The 230 base raw is boosted to 278 with Bludgeoner and Attack Boost 4. The 14 base Thunder should get to 26 with Thunder Attack 5 and the ramp-up. Kind of crazy.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

So I finished as much as I can of the Felyne Dual Blade set and its super fun so far, but there's some gameplay hurdles I'm running into. I just so happened to have an Evade Distance 3 deco which loving rules, but it seems like the skill everyone loves is the one that is constantly getting me killed. Using Demon Flight is cool and gets me up to the Diablos Tail, but every time I use it I take some sort of damage from the thing wagging its tail or outright die because even a short hop means you cant dodge out of it so it's a LONG time to be committed to not dodging. Should I replace it with the Demon Spin, or just never use the A attack unless Im REALLY sure I wont be attacked

v1ld posted:

Rajang CB is a hell of a Bludgeoner weapon. The 230 base raw is boosted to 278 with Bludgeoner and Attack Boost 4. The 14 base Thunder should get to 26 with Thunder Attack 5 and the ramp-up. Kind of crazy.

Does Bludgeoner as a Rampage skill stack with Bludgeoner the armor/deco skill?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Shine posted:

I got behind by a bunch of pages, but in short it warms my heart to see so many people excited about Lance thanks to Spiral Thrust :allears:

I still miss Iceborne's Counter Claw, but Spiral Thrust is a loving dope addition. Gives Lance a nice burst damage option, and makes it even more mobile for no loving reason other than to break the game :swoon:

Countering something like bagel and getting a free ride across the zone ruled, but I just did arena rajang solo as lance and that was a very learn to love the spiral thrust experience.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
I've been running a slicing-focused build with the magnamalo HBG but lately wanted to try something else. I found a build on reddit using the tigrex HBG where the whole purpose is to make giant explosions in the monster's face and it's so much fun. You use sticky lvl 2 and 3 (along with artillery skills) to knock them out, then you walk up to them and blast them with wyvern ammo for hundreds (thousands if they are asleep) of damage. Throw in some counter-shots between this and you'll put out great damage alongside the decent cc. And you get to carry around a monster's head as your weapon.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

msr posted:

I had the same exact problem, and it ended up being that you can’t sheathe after every move, there are situations where you can’t and it will just roll instead. Like for example you can’t seem to sheathe after an iai slash, it will just roll you instead.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Every time I go Pawprint farming with my two Gathering cats, I get bored of it after 10 minutes, quit the Expedition, and find 2-3 of them in the reward box that they Plundered for me. Good kitties!

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Apr 16, 2021

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
I'm nearing the end of Rise and needless to say I have absolutely loved it. I was wondering is MHGU still worth a play? Does anyone play it online these days and how would that work?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Wildtortilla posted:

I find ZR is registering less reliably when wirebug jumping. Noticed it start happening this week. I don’t know if I’m rushing another action and ZR simply is being blocked, if it’s a controller problem (though it happens with my joycon and pro), or if a bug with ZR exists. It’s super annoying with bug jumping and I imagine it happening with a weapon is even more so.

Are you talking about Spirit Helm Breaker? Just recently picked up LS and this was confusing me because the YouTube video I watched the guy was able to just ZL+X then ZR and get Helm Breaker but I found that ZL+X alone wouldn't trigger Helm Breaker without an attack first. In other words ZL+X -> ZR nothing, A -> ZL+X -> ZR Helm Breaker. I swear the Arekkz wasn't needing the A to allow Helm Breaker but I haven't investigated much.

Does anyone know if there's an animation cancel for Quick Sheathe -> ZR? I hate missing big and waiting while my toon just kind of stands there for a while following the slash.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Minotaurus Rex posted:

I'm nearing the end of Rise and needless to say I have absolutely loved it. I was wondering is MHGU still worth a play? Does anyone play it online these days and how would that work?

Cant promise low rank will be very populous but the online will definitely still be alive. I'd say it's worth a play but that hinges on your tolerance for jank.

Lobbies are much as they are in Rise but with clunky old school stuff - you gotta cancel your quest with the quest giver to accept someone else's if you both posted at the same time, you cant join mid hunt so all have to go into the quest together, little things like that

As long as you know what you're getting into, theres lots of fun still to be had there. And even after every patch is done, the Rise roster will never come close, GU has shitloads of monsters

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'

Sudden Javelin posted:

Cant promise low rank will be very populous but the online will definitely still be alive. I'd say it's worth a play but that hinges on your tolerance for jank.

Lobbies are much as they are in Rise but with clunky old school stuff - you gotta cancel your quest with the quest giver to accept someone else's if you both posted at the same time, you cant join mid hunt so all have to go into the quest together, little things like that

As long as you know what you're getting into, theres lots of fun still to be had there. And even after every patch is done, the Rise roster will never come close, GU has shitloads of monsters

I've been a MH fan since Tri if that gives an idea about my jank tolerance? Not sure if Tri was supposed to be janky or not but I had no issues with it back then

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Don't forget that GU lets you play as a cat! Try it out at least. It's the only game where you can do that!

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Does Bludgeoner as a Rampage skill stack with Bludgeoner the armor/deco skill?

Don't know, but everything seems to stack in the game unlike others so I was assuming yes.

Reddit says Dulling Strike seems to be 20% more damage 10% of the time, so a 2% bump or ~5 damage for Rajang CB. About the same as the Thunder skill's +6 Thunder attack, but dulling strike will be better for phials.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
If you could do Tri then you'll be absolutely fine

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Minotaurus Rex posted:

I've been a MH fan since Tri if that gives an idea about my jank tolerance? Not sure if Tri was supposed to be janky or not but I had no issues with it back then

Yeah, if you've been playing since pre-World, then you're good to go on GenU, it's basically the ultimate version of those old games. It just doesn't have all the QoL stuff World introduced and Rise kept.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Yeah, it feels weird to go back to pre-world jank but GU is still pretty worth it just for having the largest cast of monsters.

I still need to start going through it on the switch myself. Got to HR on an imported MHXX on 3ds but never to G/Master rank.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Should I replace it with the Demon Spin, or just never use the A attack unless Im REALLY sure I wont be attacked

It’s definitely a risk to keep in mind. The same goes for blade flurry. When you commit to using them is a big part of dual blades that relies on you understanding what the monster is currently doing (and what he can follow up with) and how long the animations are. Finding a flow through the monster attacks is one of my favorite things as a DB main. When you’re locked you just never stop stalling as you slash and dance around the monster. It feels great.

The alternative would be DB being able to animation cancel with a wirebug dodge which would honestly be too powerful. I’d love to see them experiment with it. Maybe as a wirebug whisper 3 unlock so you have to give up offense to have the option.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
My current custom shout-out. I have only done page 2 so far. Working on things for the others still.

I feint: Mighty fine shindig.
Others feint: Null perspiration.
I am riding: I'm gnarfleing the Garthok!
Others ride: YOU GO GURRL!
Quest start: We need additional pylons.
Quest end: Shiny!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Are you talking about Spirit Helm Breaker? Just recently picked up LS and this was confusing me because the YouTube video I watched the guy was able to just ZL+X then ZR and get Helm Breaker but I found that ZL+X alone wouldn't trigger Helm Breaker without an attack first. In other words ZL+X -> ZR nothing, A -> ZL+X -> ZR Helm Breaker. I swear the Arekkz wasn't needing the A to allow Helm Breaker but I haven't investigated much.

Does anyone know if there's an animation cancel for Quick Sheathe -> ZR? I hate missing big and waiting while my toon just kind of stands there for a while following the slash.

No I mean wire bug jumping with ZL and ZR.