Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

this is new? nyt has partially retracted this story by august of last year

ive gotten into so many arguments with my liberal friends about this story lol can’t wait to send this to everyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol they really do believe they're heroes and not scum

https://twitter.com/Sulliview/status/1382287998608367616?s=19

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/arishapiro/status/1382691338567712775

does top here mean most popular or just podcasts that ari shapiro likes

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Npr shows and other public radio shows like This American Life are usually a decent chunk in the top 10 or 20 most listened podcasts

E: half seems to be overstating it though

https://www.edisonresearch.com/the-top-50-most-listened-to-u-s-podcasts-of-2020/

Lol that Adam carolla cracks the to 50

brugroffil has issued a correction as of 02:08 on Apr 16, 2021

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/disclosetv/status/1382802219548938242

i didnt know the new york post was the fourth largest newspaper in the country thats very funny

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I've never listened to a podcast and I don't expect to start

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

brugroffil posted:

Npr shows and other public radio shows like This American Life are usually a decent chunk in the top 10 or 20 most listened podcasts

E: half seems to be overstating it though

https://www.edisonresearch.com/the-top-50-most-listened-to-u-s-podcasts-of-2020/

Lol that Adam carolla cracks the to 50

cum town go on edison research

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Jose posted:

What journalist in the mainstream press stands for any of that?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Jose posted:

I say this a lot, but the article is even worse than the tweet suggests

the conclusion the writer draws is that Americans would like to see journalists become more deferential and loyal to authority figures and national institutions

because the groupings of the results are based off the theories of a radical centrist pop psychologist, who took up political psychology because he wanted to learn how to help Dems win more, and seeks to apply his theories about the biological basis of morality to political polling

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

KomradeX posted:

they're almost all rich failchildren so their idea of "accountability, transparency, [and] giving a voice to the less powerful" has absolutely no overlap with the American public

this is even beyond the fact that they almost all live exclusively within the most gentrified parts of three cities and never, ever leave

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
That reminds me of this classic.

https://exiledonline.com/feature-new-york-times-hack-eats-horse-sperm-pie/

quote:

“The city’s homeless are not the visible presence one sees on street corners in New York or Washington. They seldom panhandle aggressively. There are no homeless squeegee men—that trade, along with furtive sales of flowers, street atlases and other frills to drivers stalled in traffic jams, is controlled by those, however poor, who still have roofs over their heads.”

The first thing to note is that Wines instinctively excludes from the start the idea that his readers might be, or have ever been, homeless themselves—the homeless in America he describes as people “one sees on street corners.” But more important is the way Wines himself observes the homelessness phenomenon. He does it from behind the windshield of that Audi of his. The homeless in his mind are people who bother him when he has the misfortune to be stuck at a traffic light. That’s what the problem of homelessness means to him. It’s a quality-of-life issue for people with Audis; the more homelessness there is, the more annoying squeegee men there. The man is simply incapable of grasping the more serious problem of what it means to actually be poor and have no place to live, because he clearly cannot conceive of himself, or anyone he knows, ever being homeless. He is genetically incapable of it, it seems.

What’s more, Wines is simply wrong. The streets of Moscow are full of homeless people. Homeless children, even. They are in the doorways of every apartment building at night and the Metro stations are full of them. Old women in particular stand at bus stops and outside stores and in Metro stations and ask for money “na khlebushku.” Wines wouldn’t know this, however, because he never takes public transportation. He hasn’t gotten out of that goddamn Audi since he came to Moscow.

This douche went on to Beijing after that.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Well he's going for the combo continue after all that time jerking off his own grandma murdering brother last year turned into a combo breaker a few weeks ago

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Main Paineframe posted:

I say this a lot, but the article is even worse than the tweet suggests

the conclusion the writer draws is that Americans would like to see journalists become more deferential and loyal to authority figures and national institutions

because the groupings of the results are based off the theories of a radical centrist pop psychologist, who took up political psychology because he wanted to learn how to help Dems win more, and seeks to apply his theories about the biological basis of morality to political polling

that’s cool but i am still very interested as to why you think killing communists is better than killing gays. i don’t get it

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

fart simpson posted:

that’s cool but i am still very interested as to why you think killing communists is better than killing gays. i don’t get it

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

VideoTapir posted:

That reminds me of this classic.

https://exiledonline.com/feature-new-york-times-hack-eats-horse-sperm-pie/

This douche went on to Beijing after that.

quote:

About a year before Vladimir Putin came to power, Wines wrote:

“Much of the world is still Hobbesian, looking to strongmen to impose order on lives that are nasty, brutish and short.

“‘It’s the concept that the state as an entity is much more important than the life of one human being,’ said Yevgenia Albats, an author and independent journalist who writes about human rights issues here. ‘Pinochet is a hero in the press here. For a lot of writers, the fact that he killed 100,000 people before Chile had its economic miracle is just not a question.’

“The West finds such views alien.”

Only a year and a half later, Wines was arguing the exact opposite. His breakthrough 4,700-word blowjob profile of Vladimir Putin last February set the standard for the Western embrace of Putin as the “new Pinochet” who would bring order and economic stability to Russia. America was supporting Putin at the time as a guarantor of Western business, you see. Far from finding the appearance of a Hobbesian strongman “alien,” Wines on the contrary went to extraordinary lengths to not only explain away the ambiguities of Putin’s past, but to actively advertise his authoritarian instincts as positives. The same man who had argued that Russia’s totalitarian past had made it morally inferior to the West was now insisting that young Russians under Soviet rule had only joined the KGB in order to expand their minds; he also argued that the KGB had in fact not been so bad after all, and that only the guilty had something to hide from it:

“For many, [the KGB] was also a coveted career choice, a club of elite Soviets given superior education and a unique chance to sample the forbidden world—if only to fight it…. It still had ears and eyes everywhere and was vigilant for any signs of dissidence, but those who knew their place and their limits could stay out of the KGB web.”

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

fart simpson posted:

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

KomradeX posted:

*cracks knuckles* Glenn greenwald

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

lol on the latest moderate rebels they called out “brown moses” as being an untalented hack who got his start by helping run online chat forums and playing video games

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

fart simpson posted:

lol on the latest moderate rebels they called out “brown moses” as being an untalented hack who got his start by helping run online chat forums and playing video games

Going from that to paid state department stooge is a big upgrade tbf

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

fart simpson posted:

hosed up that you'd call out gjb like that imo

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

fart simpson posted:

they're really trifling with our goon valor

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

fart simpson posted:

War Nerd went in on him in their first NED episode a couple weeks ago too.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

fart simpson posted:

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

fart simpson posted:

this is a very interesting question

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Main Paineframe posted:

so when are you making this guy a d&d mod?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Cerebral Bore posted:

so when are you making this guy a d&d mod?

he's already a d&d mod so

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Stringent posted:

he's already a d&d mod so

That does kind of answer the question though

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

KomradeX posted:

That does kind of answer the question though

:tipshat:

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

why is the nyt just reposting cia reports? i saw the new oped about how "spy agencies say future is bleak" and couldn't believe my eyes

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

DISINFO

https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/1277004693756141569

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

The lesser Cuomo has been tweeting for the last 16 hours trying to justify letting a pig defend the murder of a child.
https://twitter.com/DrRJKavanagh/status/1383147548156817411

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Why he WAS OR WAS NOT IN SCHOOL.

The video was at night.

What loving 13-year-old is in school at dusk.

It's a pandemic, too.

Schools are or should be closed.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Vomik posted:

why is the nyt just reposting cia reports? i saw the new oped about how "spy agencies say future is bleak" and couldn't believe my eyes

It is pretty obvious the national security state has pretty much taken control at this point. It isn’t even conspiracy theory, it is pretty blatant.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/EdAsante77/status/1383237170199101440

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

That sentence just gets sadder and sadder the longer it goes on.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

i love when an actual news article is more onion than the onion's headlines

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/1383204058052362242?s=19

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

The letter is a cris de coeour from a man who thinks that systemic racism ended after blacks were allowed to sit at southern lunch counters and that anti-racism is communist indoctrination.

Has a good point about how a school that's concerned with equity shouldn't allow legacies and cost $54,000 per year. But that's the Upper East Side for ya!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
kind of lol if that’s the part she agreed with

it wasn’t