Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Personally I feel like the bare-minimum if you're going to make an american show or movie where race violence is the central focal point of the story and setting is that,

A: You can't be afraid of being political
B. There is no white savior character in the story
C: You haven't made almost all your white characters into monsters in skin-suits

Because otherwise it's just another Green Book, Crash or 12 Years where the audience can just disassociate from the awful behavior of the non-black characters and revel in the drama, hate and/or violence being portrayed. Like is said earlier, it becomes fetishistic when pushed past a certain degree. The horror motif in Them almost feels like an excuse to show extreme violence on screen. If you're not making the audience question themselves and you're not questioning the power structures of today, why are you tackling this topic through the medium of entertainment at all.

It's not like it can't be done. I complained in the streaming thread about this years Two Distant Strangers being overly allegorical and having an inherently goofy framing device but it didn't fail on any of the points above. It knows what it wants do and it is better for it. When it emphasizes violence it does it for a reason beyond shocking and titillating the audience.

No one has even mentioned yet how the show has a white HBTQ character seemingly just for set-dressing. Just disappears from the show in the final act. No arc, no resolution, just ah he's gay and now he's driving away.

Them is an okay TV-show, but artistically speaking it is popcorn and I get why some are disappointed. It could have been much more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gabriel Luna has been cast as Tommy (Joel's brother) in HBO's Last of Us TV series.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I'm still not sure I see the point in a Last of Us series, other than it being a name. The only really notable thing about the game is how it blended the gameplay stuff into the story.

Vanderdeath posted:

I can't blame that lady for being so annoyed about the situation. It feels like a large portion of the media about black people nowadays is about either slavery, injustices, racism and other societal wrongs and it is honestly loving exhausting. We could have all manner of various programs written and created by black authors and showrunners but what largely gets greenlit are things about the aforementioned topics.

It might seem silly to dismiss that woman's response but I'm starting to feel the same kind of frustration she seems to be experiencing. At some point there has to be diminishing returns on yet another piece of media "exploring" black people suffering.

I'm not sure if the tweets are too much or not, but after checking this review it definitely seems like her biggest issue is that she wrote all of this down back when Antebellum came out (she put out a scathing review for it that addressed the same problems). So seeing Them pop up probably struck her with bad deja vu.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Infinity Train S4: Nobody likes post-war American food!

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I enjoyed Infinity Train but it felt a lot less ambitious than previous seasons. Maybe they just wanted to end on a less relentlessly depressing note than last season’s attempted murder

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Wow, uh ... Season 4 of Brockmire really doesn't hold back on, well, everything, does it?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Hakkesshu posted:

The point has been made before about how some rich black creators are using the plights of the lower classes as a form of exploitation media that appeals to white people more than anything, in order to market themselves as being hugely progressive. When Judas and the Black Messiah, also by black creators, came out there was a similar article (I think from the same author, actually), about how it’s using black history as essentially a series of aesthetic vignettes without getting at the root of the problem, and mainly being about black suffering without much point to it other than to downplay the real history in favour of turning it into a pop culture prop, essentially.

That HBO Confederate show would have been another example of this too. Benioff and Wise took all the heat for being involved but the EPs and head writers were the Spellmans, the husband and wife team behind The Good Wife and Empire.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Laterite posted:

Wow, uh ... Season 4 of Brockmire really doesn't hold back on, well, everything, does it?

I’m still pretty disappointed in it, despite ending fairly nicely. Just one of those ‘ugh’ stomach sinks that you don’t recover from when the gimmick for the season is revealed.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What happened?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It jumps forward to 2030 or something and has a lot of jokes about America being very broken and suffering from ecological disasters etc. I thought it was awesome.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It felt like it had all the awful futurism of that last season of Parcs and Rec. It’s a concept that almost always falls completely on its arse.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Any time a show does a jump to the future like that there's invariably the gag about how some side character who's been the butt of jokes for the entire show is now like the head of Amazon or something. Lazy stuff.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
drat only 52

https://twitter.com/lewis_damian/status/1383081853914128388?s=20

She was great in Peaky Blinders which we just binged this winter finally. gently caress cancer.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Infinity Train sure is great huh. I spent all morning watching it

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

DrVenkman posted:

Any time a show does a jump to the future like that there's invariably the gag about how some side character who's been the butt of jokes for the entire show is now like the head of Amazon or something. Lazy stuff.

Yeah, any show that isn't designed with the mindset from the word go and has a ton of thought put into how the future works always goes for the same gags. Yay, the 100th show to do 'phones that are just slabs of glass'.

I hear the Brockmire podcast is pretty good though? It makes sense it finally became a real thing.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Vanderdeath posted:

It might seem silly to dismiss that woman's response but I'm starting to feel the same kind of frustration she seems to be experiencing. At some point there has to be diminishing returns on yet another piece of media "exploring" black people suffering.

My girlfriend is getting to that point but also turns around and has never seen, say, Moonlight before. People say they want more and varied storytelling of black people than "black suffering", ignoring that the stuff that isn't that is stuff people usually never end up watching. Like...suffering regardless of race is such an easy and simplistic flashpoint of storytelling that I think it's a large reason why it ends up dominating the things people watch, especially when stuff that is focused away from whatever the nebulous concept of "black suffering" is is usually underwatched and ill-served.

Like, is Ma Rainey's Black Bottom about "black suffering"? It kind of is, but regardless it loving sucked and I bet most people here have never watched it, because it's a boring poorly adapted filmed work.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Well now that I've officially watched every episode of Kim's Convenience I can say that the biggest mistake the show ever made was focusing on Jung's workplace and coworkers as regular characters instead of just a background thing, because it cursed the show to have between 5% to 45% of every episode taken up with extremely stale generic "workplace humor" gags and plotlines that feel like they were lifted right out of 1992.

Even weirder, it's getting it's own spinoff? I liked the characters and stuff fine but you're right, it was just generic workplace stuff could work anywhere. Really contrived to fit the car rental place framing too, or, maybe, don't know how much time I've ever spent in one to know.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

quote:

Amazon’s “Lord of the Rings” television show is shaping up to be a costly endeavor for the tech company.

On Friday, New Zealand’s minister for economic development and tourism revealed that the fantasy drama will be one of the most costly television series ever made, with its season one price tag coming in at around $465 million.

“But what I can tell you is Amazon is going to spend about $650 million in season one alone,” Stuart Nash told Morning Report. The figure he provided was in local currency.

The production figure is massive and likely the largest sum any studio has spent to produce a single season of television. For comparison, HBO’s “Game of Thrones” cost around $100 million per season. Season one episodes cost around $6 million each and eventually rose to around $15 million by season eight.

Amazon shelled out around $250 million for the rights to the Tolkien property in 2017.

“This will be the largest television series ever made,” Nash said.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Holy gently caress. Why do I feel this is gonna be a huge dumpster fire.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It has all the bad signs of 100% being a "product" first and designed only to make back their investment. They are already planning on 5 seasons and multiple spinoffs.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
What even is the show? New characters? Literally The Lord Of The Rings?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

High school prequel Rivendell High

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aardvark! posted:

What even is the show? New characters? Literally The Lord Of The Rings?

It literally can't reference any of the characters we know from the books/movies.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

It literally can't reference any of the characters we know from the books/movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHoJSgq6mqc

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/theoneringnet/status/1382874705791647747

Uh, shouldn't it be the other way around New Zealand? Ya hosed up

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

ok

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

A bunch of creatives on twitter are jealous/mad at how much they are spending, and joking about how if they only had 10 million what they could do with it. I personally am more worried wish some of that budget will go to the superior book series they've bought, Wheel Of Time, which requires a big budget to do right anyway.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

DrVenkman posted:

to be fair to 30 rock, kenneth was prophesized to be the head of gm in the first season

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The funding comes from Jeff Bezos being able to sneeze out money whenever he wants. 400 million isn't even 1% of his net worth. Whoever is the showrunner is probably going to have anxiety attacks.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I enjoyed Infinity Train s4 but it was kind of an odd choice to make the final season a prequel. Also I guess this means Simon really is dead.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

LionArcher posted:

A bunch of creatives on twitter are jealous/mad at how much they are spending, and joking about how if they only had 10 million what they could do with it. I personally am more worried wish some of that budget will go to the superior book series they've bought, Wheel Of Time, which requires a big budget to do right anyway.

yeah. They need to perfect those cgi braids.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

to be fair to 30 rock, kenneth was prophesized to be the head of gm in the first season

The Kenneth one worked for me, the parks and rec stuff just got dumb. It also helps that the Kenneth thing was just one flash forward instead of being in a whole episode of them.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

nate fisher posted:

drat only 52

https://twitter.com/lewis_damian/status/1383081853914128388?s=20

She was great in Peaky Blinders which we just binged this winter finally. gently caress cancer.

McCrory was an insanely talented actor. I first saw her in Anna Karenina, though I think most people know her either as the matriarch from Peaky Blinders, or Eva Green's evil double from Penny Dreadful. Or maybe from her episode of Doctor Who.

Her episode of Inside No. 9 is so good. I and a friend quote it all the time.

Gone way too loving soon.

I enjoyed Infinity Train s4 but it was kind of an odd choice to make the final season a prequel. Also I guess this means Simon really is dead.

As I understand it, this wasn't the intention -- the season was written with the expectation of having more seasons to tell their story. Eight season's all up, to go along with the infinity symbol in the show's title. So this would have been a respite between more intense seasons, and probably set up some lore to get paid off later.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 17, 2021

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Anyone else absolutely hate the new UI for Fire TVs? It is so goddamn busy and obfuscates all the stuff you actually want.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Anyone else absolutely hate the new UI for Fire TVs? It is so goddamn busy and obfuscates all the stuff you actually want.

So I don’t actually use my Fire TV anymore but I still have it plugged in and use the input to switch to when I want to get game mode off and I’ve seen the new UI and it looks absolutely horrible

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

First used it yesterday. It's beyond awful.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Amazon trained their UI engineers wrong, as a joke

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Who wants your last used app to be the thing the your cursor first starts on? Instead you should have to scroll down a couple of lines.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Chris James 2 posted:

https://twitter.com/angelicabastien/status/1382393808055336961?s=20

Spoilers but yeah this show sucks and the worst thing that could have happened and did happen from Jordan Peele’s success is “white people in the industry making their own knockoffs like Them and Antebellum with worse twists and more torture of black people”

I saw the commercial for this and immediately peaced out with the white lady suburbanite just yelling slurs at the black family.

Like who is this for. Why was it made. And what good does it do.

gently caress it sounds like poo poo. Unbelievable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Vanderdeath posted:

I can't blame that lady for being so annoyed about the situation. It feels like a large portion of the media about black people nowadays is about either slavery, injustices, racism and other societal wrongs and it is honestly loving exhausting. We could have all manner of various programs written and created by black authors and showrunners but what largely gets greenlit are things about the aforementioned topics.

At least the original blaxploitation was fun

E: its pretty sad they whiffed this, towns like Levitttown and the idea of surburbia being a comfortable mode of segregation is such interesting ground.

Time for me to check out Show Me a Hero i guess

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Apr 17, 2021