Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Vichan posted:

But I don't want to play as pink Pontus!

I still want there to be a minor faction called Pontus in WH3 just because. Something like the Easter egg traits you get for defeating Surtha Ek as Settra or vice versa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

my dad posted:

That's... what I said. I praised the game for leaving the option in. The alternate more realistic designs are nice, too.

well i can't read so maybe think about that before you write something

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Holy gently caress Cao Cao's reworked faction mechanic is insane. So many kinds of bonuses.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Breetai posted:

Nup, just started a new game in Vanilla in order to check and was able to recruit them off the bat. They're not even that expensive upkeep wise. Yikes.

Reallylike his faction power as well; almost wish I'd tried him off the bat rather than Sun Jian. Ah well, I'll use him for a second playthrough I guess.
FYI Sun Jian is a lot of fun (and his faction a little OP) if you go hog wild colonizing the south and taking Wu's historical lands. Sun Ce's cav bonuses are insane and Cheng Pu's ability that gives all friendly generals on the battlefield (I think) +10% Melee Evasion and +33% attack rate is bonkers.

MiddleOne posted:

Holy gently caress Cao Cao's reworked faction mechanic is insane. So many kinds of bonuses.
Yeah its crazy. I hope its a precursor to everyone getting expanded spy actions or something.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I swear, I've been opting out of the spy system entirely most games. It just hasn't felt worth the effort. Cao Cao's iteration is a huge improvement.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

I bounced off this game at release and went back to warhammer, but I tried it out again last week and I'm so glad I gave it a chance. I can't overstate how much better the campaign map and diplomacy are in this game over WH2. The personalities and numerical values for diplomatic deals just make sense, and once you get a handle on the gigantic building browser the settlement management feels streamlined and effective too.

I'm playing my first real campaign as Liu Bei and am almost at the point where emperors are going to be declared. Fought a memorable series of wars against Cao Cao that ended when my bud Sun Ce vassalized him, and now I'm eyeing the shrinking cast of characters left with suspicion. I feel like Sun Ce and I will almost certainly end up coming to blows when all's said and done.

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.
I really just want warhammer to run in the 3k engine. Give me the diplomacy upgrades and all of the different units.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It is embarrassing how trash the modern non-3K Total War engines are. And that considering the 3K engine is bad too! Why aren't they using the 3K engine for all releases, I don't understand it.

EDIT: Like just give me a modern Total War release that loads within a reasonable time-frame outside of SSD, jesus christ.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
If I tried running any recent-ish Total War, it would melt my computer into slag, lol.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

MiddleOne posted:

It is embarrassing how trash the modern non-3K Total War engines are. And that considering the 3K engine is bad too! Why aren't they using the 3K engine for all releases, I don't understand it.

EDIT: Like just give me a modern Total War release that loads within a reasonable time-frame outside of SSD, jesus christ.

oh god are you playing TW games without an SSD? For <$200 it's like the most cost effective upgrade you can get for your computer. If you can afford it, don't hesitate, the difference is unbelievable.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

FWIW up until like a week ago when I got this new rig I was playing off an old HDD and of the modern TW's 3K was by far the fastest to load and the best running one.

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Whats the deal with He Man? I dueled him with Lu Bu and that strategist who lowers armor hovering outside the fight and He Man straight up tanked everything Lu Bu threw at him. Lu Bu is level 9 and He Man is level 3 btw.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Captain Beans posted:

oh god are you playing TW games without an SSD? For <$200 it's like the most cost effective upgrade you can get for your computer. If you can afford it, don't hesitate, the difference is unbelievable.

I reinstalled it on my external hard drive earlier this year and every moment is suffering. It is out of sheer stubbornness that I haven't reinstalled it on my SSD (which other games presently occupy).

ACValiant posted:

Whats the deal with He Man? I dueled him with Lu Bu and that strategist who lowers armor hovering outside the fight and He Man straight up tanked everything Lu Bu threw at him. Lu Bu is level 9 and He Man is level 3 btw.

He's the master of the universe.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
I think He Man starts with something silly like 70-80% melee evasion, so you would really need a strategist with Wisdom of the River (-100% armor/melee evasion) around to help to defeat him in a duel. After all, he's the most powerful :v:

TW3K is weird in that it doesn't have a melee attack stat, so melee evasion rules 1v1 combat (and Lu Bu has basically none, although he has 80% armor)

It's also why Pei Yuanshao is probably one of the best duelists in the game because he's a combat general that also has Wisdom of the River.

RoyalScion fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 10, 2021

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
xu chu also has the ground slam that does that

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Three kingdoms runs real well but for some reason the campaign map makes my computer and fans go absolutely nuts and I feel like there's some setting that's having it run at 2200 fps or something

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The Chad Jihad posted:

Three kingdoms runs real well but for some reason the campaign map makes my computer and fans go absolutely nuts and I feel like there's some setting that's having it run at 2200 fps or something
tbh even with the three kingdoms engine the campaign map still runs like poo poo.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It makes literally no sense how much harddrive and GPU performance the main maps take in Total War. I'll just slot it down to sloppy progamming if no one gives a better reason.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ACValiant posted:

Lu Bu is a chump, thats why.

edit: I tried to figure out why the gif is so tiny but I'm new to it so :shrug:

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Apr 11, 2021

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Lu Bu is a chump, thats why.

edit: I tried to figure out why the gif is so tiny but I'm new to it so :shrug:

It's "do not pursue Lu Bu!" not "kill me now, it's Yuan Shao" :colbert:

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Yuan Shu's mandate of heaven start is both strong and weak in a fun way. You've got a lot of money and food coming in and your main starting commandery is really well built up to withstand both fervor and the initial wave of yellow turbans. You can easily colonize the nearby wasteland if you are quick. HOWEVER, you have no legitimacy, no son, and no wife. You'll only have Yuan Shu to try and survive until you can scrape up the legitimacy for a hire unless you find a wife real quick.

Flipswitch posted:

tbh even with the three kingdoms engine the campaign map still runs like poo poo.

For me it's only 3K that has issues, the performance itself being fine but my computer acting like it wants to take off

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Me and a buddy want to do a coop campaign as the Yuans, maybe 190? My only worry is the stability of the game. We'll be playing TROM.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Ssds make a huge difference but it still isn't quick.
I have it on an M2 and the battle loading in particular still takes a while

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Flipswitch posted:

Me and a buddy want to do a coop campaign as the Yuans, maybe 190? My only worry is the stability of the game. We'll be playing TROM.
That is a great faction pairing at that start date. The game is perfectly stable without mods so I guess you have to hope the mod doesn't change that?

edit: only stability problem I've had was when my coop partner was Nanman, when he tried to go to his court, the game would crash. No issues when both parties are Han though.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Apr 11, 2021

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

ACValiant posted:

Just in case anyone else runs into this, just don't duel him. I crushed him by denying his duels and just rushing him with all my troops :shrug:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

That is a great faction pairing at that start date. The game is perfectly stable without mods so I guess you have to hope the mod doesn't change that?

edit: only stability problem I've had was when my coop partner was Nanman, when he tried to go to his court, the game would crash. No issues when both parties are Han though.
Yeah, we weren't sure on 194 vs 190, so we ended up going 190 and we're doing it now. :v: TROM really helps Yuan Shu and the MTU additions make both factions feel very alive.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
194 Lu Bu start is so loving hard now with the changes to Cao Cao's schemes.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Moved 3K back to my SSD. I've entered the hyperzone.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

what overhaul mods for 3k are there and are they any good?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Communist Thoughts posted:

what overhaul mods for 3k are there and are they any good?

I like The Rule of Might: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1977631962

Short version of some changes I like:
-There are a lot more unique characters overall
-Skill trees are a lot less boring. Some characters have access to very strong buffs via their skill tree like increasing commerce income faction-wide or providing your faction leader with a stat boost as long as they remain in your faction.
-Different factions have access to different units beyond militia. Most rosters are different than the others (again, beyond the standard militia). In some cases units are exclusive to specific characters. In other cases units are only recruitable if you control specific regions (generally these are nomad cavalry unit types). Another similar option is, like the Northern Officers or whatever, you can access specific troops with a short-term ancillary item that allows you to recruit special troops. There's one that fires at least once or twice per campaign I've noticed where a dilemma pops up in which a Sogdian merchant will sell you a token that lets you recruit Sogdian mercenaries, a special mount, or a Cool Sword.
-More hybrid units, usually with Elite level units, that will benefit from boosts to two unit types (Red/Green, Purple/Yellow, etc)
-The supply system seems more difficult overall. I haven't looked if it actually is but I find you can't just expand extremely quickly like in the vanilla version. At some point you need to stop and resupply your armies.
-Some officers can access different unit types via their skill tree (ex: strategists can unlock green units if you want to put a point into that)
-Forgot about a new one: I didn't really ever build the school building but in this overhaul at the maximum level it grants a few of your officers (randomly chosen) bonus experience every Spring

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 12, 2021

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Is that TUP compat patch out yet? It's weird; MTU adds a fair bit of new art but it's now at this point where the generics really stand out and now I just want the generic art gone entirely lol

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
TUP isn't compatible with TROM yet, but you can run Puzzle Illustration alongside TROM. That gives you like 350 new artworks for the historical characters that use generic art. At that point the only generals using the generic art are the truely generic randomized characters.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Oh yeah, sorry, I was already using Puzzle Illustration per advice from the thread. But yeah, even then the generics are the odd ones out because everyone's got unique art but them lol

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Abdication mechanic is the best. One kingdom offered abdication to me after I beat it and its vassals up for a bit, and then a turn later I was able to get the other kingdom to abdicate (on threat of war) and win the game immediately rather than having to go through the tedious slog of being too powerful to beat but still needing to slowly trample the rest of the map with my two dozen full stack armies of elite troops.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

Oh yeah, sorry, I was already using Puzzle Illustration per advice from the thread. But yeah, even then the generics are the odd ones out because everyone's got unique art but them lol
These are the ones I execute. :v:

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Eventually after enough hellwars in the 3K I just get tired of trying to curry favor and just start mashing the execute button on most everybody, especially jerks like Lu Bu and Gao Shun who don't want to join up :colbert:.

Gao Shun is always especially annoying since he's pretty loyal, is unbreakable, and has basically sentinel stats as a vanguard, he's super bonkers.

Especially if I lack good dueling generals.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Just finished up my Yuan Shu campaign with TROM. He makes absolutely silly money late game, pulling in 80k a turn as I hit King/Emperor. Ji Ling won every accolade, he's a beast in TROM!

Oh also shout out to TROM for giving Yuan Shu the mock ability.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 15, 2021

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
my laptop sucks so I'm playing the first Rome: Total War campaign again. anybody remember that one?

is it impossible to use spies + assassins to cause the other Roman Family's cities to rebel? and then jump in on the siege right away with an army, thus stealing the settlement?

playing as the Julii, I pulled a real fast one on the Brutii and just grabbed all of Greece right away, save for the one city directly across from Italy, Apollonia. so i maxed out the amount of spies you could place there, have a little hoarde of 5-6 assassins breaking their temples and poo poo every turn, as well as killing their Faction Heir twice, but it seems like +30% law and order is the lowest it will go. so then i bounced over to one of their original cities in Italy and got it down to like 20%. i haven't quite had enough assassins to break everything available in these endeavors.

so are more assassins the answer? it seems like there is a crazy calculation going on between your spies skill level, their spies skill level, and then whether a governor is in place, etc. should I be pulling out the spies every turn and placing them back in to boost their skills?

its only 238 bc in the game, im well into gaul, i own the mediterranean, starting to look tense with Egypt in Antioch. drat i forgot how much i love this game. i feel like by taking greece ahead of the Brutii the end game is going to look really weird. they just have armies milling around, i thought it was weird they haven't tried even tried to pursue the Dacian and Scythian settlements, since they are really just 5-6 turns away and im not pursuing that direction quite yet

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
It's not impossible, but it's unlikely enough to not be really worth the effort. I'm pretty sure that the game gives the Roman AI factions some additional behind the scenes buffs to avoid that happening.

Also, I think there's a limit on how much spies can reduce public order.

And yeah, sniping Greece from the Brutii is my go-to move with the Scipii, and probably should be with the Julii too, but I only really play Julii when I want a slower paced Roman game, so I never actually end up doing that.

e: The best way to slow down your fellow "allies" is to cut off their expansion routes and deny them military access. The senate actually won't get pissed off about that one, unlike most other forms of diplomatic fuckery. A few forts in chokepoints, and you've pretty much pacified them.

my dad fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Apr 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
yeah i just noticed that the Brutii are the highest-ranked "financial" faction in my game right now even they only have 3 rather dinky settlements. i think the game exempts the other Romans from the "you gotta spend money to earn money!" concept. somebody on a total war forum from 16 years ago speculated that this rebellion mechanic only really works for settlements you once held on to, and when there are free-roaming rebel armies nearby, and very few units from other factions. some claim they have gotten far-off Roman settlements to rebel, thats it.

it makes sense. if you could just flood a fellow Roman city with spies then use half a dozen assassins to get it to rebel, it would kind of make the whole thing a joke, since a crucial limit on what you can do involves playing nice with other Romans.

i saw a guy on youtube do this thing where instead of taking more settlements and "campaigning" he just took a couple in the start, then every move disbanded units in one of his starting settlements, causing the Marian reform in like 20-30 turns or something, however long it took to develop population booming farms & barracks. in theory, between a combination of almost seamlessly causing your Roman neighbors to have rebellions, and then pitching those post-Marian Legionary Cohorts against Rebels, it would just be too easy to eliminate a huge part of the game.

im hitting the point of my playthrough where im dealing with the Egyptians...ugh. guess i have a small army of spies and assassins with nothing to do in italy

20 Blunts fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 16, 2021