Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Alkydere posted:

Russian BT-5 or BT-7 tank. Those things were kinda notorious for actually having way too much zoom for a tank and being hard to drive. Seriously, imagine a trying to handle a 14 tonne vehicle with enough zoomies under the hood to get over 80 KPH on a decent road (and 50 KPH offroad).

Fun as gently caress in War Thunder, especially in Arcade Mode where it gets more zoomies.

So 1 mpg?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Spinz posted:

So 1 mpg?

160 miles road range for 160 gallons, so yeah 1 mpg, or about 0.45 offroad at a whole 75 miles range.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Ror posted:

I was googling stuff about the cave and came across this Mormon family website that documents all of their outdoor adventures.

https://dyeclan.com/outdooractivities/caving/?id=68

They have a whole happy page about the cave complete with pictures of the whole family crammed into it. Apparently it was "the most popular Boy Scout cave in Utah." They went twice just months before it closed.

Five stars.
Imagine if one of those people farted right after that picture was taken.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

zedprime posted:

There's a hundred safe ways to handle broken pallets depending what you have on them and these guys choose round house kicks.

pretty good thread title if you ask me

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Pretty :stare: footage of a backdraft in a house fire:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnUA04wyHg4

Ror posted:

I was googling stuff about the cave and came across this Mormon family website that documents all of their outdoor adventures.

https://dyeclan.com/outdooractivities/caving/?id=68

They have a whole happy page about the cave complete with pictures of the whole family crammed into it. Apparently it was "the most popular Boy Scout cave in Utah." They went twice just months before it closed.

Five stars.

I'd be seriously worried about oxygen content in a confined space like that below ground, even before you cram it full of people

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

aphid_licker posted:

Pretty :stare: footage of a backdraft in a house fire:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnUA04wyHg4

I'd be seriously worried about oxygen content in a confined space like that below ground, even before you cram it full of people

just give yourself 6 hours and make sure you bring a map itll be fine! It's Utah's MOST popular cave! what could go wrong!?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Bring one of those machines they use to remove the overburden on coal seams. Enjoy sunlight and fresh air while you spelunk.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

The Lone Badger posted:

Bring one of those machines they use to remove the overburden on coal seams. Enjoy sunlight and fresh air while you spelunk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azEvfD4C6ow

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

Alkydere posted:

Russian BT-5 or BT-7 tank. Those things were kinda notorious for actually having way too much zoom for a tank and being hard to drive. Seriously, imagine a trying to handle a 14 tonne vehicle with enough zoomies under the hood to get over 80 KPH on a decent road (and 50 KPH offroad).

Fun as gently caress in War Thunder, especially in Arcade Mode where it gets more zoomies.

Pretty sure the BT-7 killed its creator

E: can't find anything to substantiate that. Might have been a legend or a crossed neuron

EvenWorseOpinions fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 16, 2021

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

OSHA content was just generated by the forums being down: I was almost forced to engage with my actual workplace and job. That's where the OSHA danger lives!

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Wrr posted:

OSHA content was just generated by the forums being down: I was almost forced to engage with my actual workplace and job. That's where the OSHA danger lives!

I got three different messages over the four hours, one saying that the maintenance break in 4th of April should end soon. One was "unavailable", other one was "Go away" and the final one said that "we are doing some quick maintenance".

So you have the breaker locks or you don't, hotswapping live poo poo and making changes on the "production" version is OSHA as poo poo, as far as software engineering discipline is considered.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
You're the guy that wants to watch the handyman do your wiring aren't you? Go away, it'll be all fixed in an hour you don't need to see how it's done

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

You're the guy that wants to watch the handyman do your wiring aren't you? Go away, it'll be all fixed in an hour you don't need to see how it's done

I'm the guy who wants to see "Under maintenance go away" from the minute it starts to the moment it ends.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
they were trying to fix problems with archives (which had some changes needed to main forums) and in traditional SA fashion, something went terribly wrong. Jeffrey said there will be a post-mortem post about it.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

`Nemesis posted:

they were trying to fix problems with archives (which had some changes needed to main forums) and in traditional SA fashion, something went terribly wrong. Jeffrey said there will be a post-mortem post about it.

Yes, and while I know that I am being a pedantic rear end in a top hat about this, their redirects and "Go aways" did not work or gave wrong ideas so that was done improperly from the viewpoint of software engineering OSHA.

So loving probate me on this if I am incorrect.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I wouldn't think software engineering has OSHA, there's just professional standards.

Unless you're programming the Therac-25.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

packetmantis posted:

I wouldn't think software engineering has OSHA, there's just professional standards.

Unless you're programming the Therac-25.

The problem with software development is that everyone ought to be developing as if they were programming the Therac-25 but always end up developing as if they did program the Therac-25.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The problem with doing business in reality is that you need to find the happy medium between spuriously lax and spuriously careful. Medical devices programmed like web forums will kill people. Web forums programmed like medical device software doesn't really help anyone to any appreciable degree. Not especially a two way street.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They should just delete the archives.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Just set up one of those drink wate desk birds to always hit "Y"

Osha appoved no human contact no human dangers! :smug:

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:nms:https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qrn5w2Lm181r0uzl6.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qritjuELdz1vy4sqt.mp4

Mod edit: edited in nms tags (person being badly injured)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 17, 2021

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Weembles posted:

The problem with software development is that everyone ought to be developing as if they were programming the Therac-25 but always end up developing as if they did program the Therac-25.

Stealing this.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Nfcknblvbl posted:

My high school had its basketball gym closed for the filming of Remember the Titans. When the crew left, we had a brand new floor but the mascot wasn't ours.

incredible

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

:kstare:

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
I had to point out to two people today that no, you shouldn't reach under the 3,000 pound lift of lumber that's being held up on one end by a forklift. To their credit once I pointed out how little arm they'd have left if the hydraulics failed they understood and didn't even consider it again, but still.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJHmOGSgTIw

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

That guy didn’t trigger the overweight either. You’d think there’s be some kind of allowance there.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
How come they haven't set up a camera that's level with the bar itself.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Nfcknblvbl posted:

My high school had its basketball gym closed for the filming of Remember the Titans. When the crew left, we had a brand new floor but the mascot wasn't ours.

Idgi

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

His high school mascot was not the Titans? It's pretty simple.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Was that "click" the sound of the guy's leg breaking?

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Was that "click" the sound of the guy's leg breaking?

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://twitter.com/amywestervelt/status/1383060772230615044
https://drillednews.com/the-chemical-weapon-next-door/

quote:

The modified HF used in the Torrance and Wilmington refineries has around six to 10% of sulfolane added to reduce the chemical’s volatility, which should prevent the HF from forming a vapor cloud when released. Essentially the sulfolane is intended to ground the HF, keeping it in liquid form, and therefore not a danger to the public. However this amount of sulfolane, Hayati said, is too little a percentage to prevent MHF from exhibiting the same vapor cloud behavior as HF exhibits on release. And there’s another wrinkle: Sulfolane can prevent alkylation units, which are integral in the conversion process from crude oil to high quality gasoline, from properly functioning. According to Hayati, in 1997 the additive caused the MHF unit to malfunction, and the Torrance refinery reverted back to using HF.

“The public was told the MHF unit was successful,” Hayati says. “That was a lie. Quietly, behind the scenes Mobil cut the safety additive and to cover themselves threw in some useless proprietary ‘safety measures’.” [In 2016, the refinery was purchased by PBF Energy.]

That information was revealed in the Consent Decree Safety Advisor’s 1999 report, made after the city of Torrance sued Mobil following an explosion in 1987 that released around 100 pounds of hydrofluoric acid.

quote:

In April 2019, the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health concluded that MHF should be phased out of the two refineries, as the current healthcare structure is inadequately equipped to respond to the atrocities that would result in the event of a chemical release. However later that year, the South Coast Air Quality Management District killed the push for stronger regulation, instead opting for safeguards that were suggested by the oil refineries themselves, saying “now is not the time” to phase out the deadly acid.

Phasing out the people liquefying acid cloud would be unfair to those already dissolved by it.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

C.M. Kruger posted:

https://twitter.com/amywestervelt/status/1383060772230615044
https://drillednews.com/the-chemical-weapon-next-door/

Phasing out the people liquefying acid cloud would be unfair to those already dissolved by it.

Jesus christ, I'm always amazed by how petrochemical plants are slap bang in the middle of residential neighborhoods in major US cities like LA.
Looking on google maps I see housing less than 50 meters from the plant itself and all the reviews are from residents saying it's effecting their health and they can't breath.

Also see Cancer valley along the Mississippi river and Baton Rouge.

e: USCSB has a video on the Torrence explosion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JplAKJrgyew

The Real Amethyst fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Apr 17, 2021

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
Hmm yes I love living next door to this. No need for concern citizens, this 3 hour burn off is a "normal safety procedure and poses no risk to health".
Please go back to sleep.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhEDALs1GqM

In the event of organ liquefying hydrocarbons release, we will sound our child friendly musical siren. Jk we've never sounded this during any of the numerous explosions over the years and never will.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBDGnNQBrSk

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010

Der Kyhe posted:

I got three different messages over the four hours, one saying that the maintenance break in 4th of April should end soon. One was "unavailable", other one was "Go away" and the final one said that "we are doing some quick maintenance".

So you have the breaker locks or you don't, hotswapping live poo poo and making changes on the "production" version is OSHA as poo poo, as far as software engineering discipline is considered.

If you're doing industrial control analogy, is there any industrial control systems with versions other than production? (I hope there is, because its interesting)

We had good times doing a bachelor thesis on PLC programming, and trying to program a welder for fusing plastic bags. We managed to turn it on, but forgot we also had to turn it off. Suddenly remembered when we saw the plastic burning. Luckily it was after normal work hours so nobody saw us loving up!

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

The Real Amethyst posted:

In the event of organ liquefying hydrocarbons release, we will sound our child friendly musical siren.

Did you miss that they were talking not about hydrocarbons (those are what the plant processes) but about hydrofluoric acid (which it uses).
I.e., bone hurting juice.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

Zopotantor posted:

Did you miss that they were talking not about hydrocarbons (those are what the plant processes) but about hydrofluoric acid (which it uses).
I.e., bone hurting juice.

I just presumed HF/MHF was a hydrocarbon. I don't know anything about chemical terminology.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

In this case, it's refreshingly simple: hydrocarbons are made of hydrogen and carbon (only). They are the major components of oil and natural gas. As an example, methane is the simplest possible hydrocarbon: one carbon, four hydrogen around it.

HF, hydrogen fluoride, is even smaller: one hydrogen bonded (loosely) to one fluor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Doesn't the fluorine love calcium, and basically ignore gloves/other PPE such that even a drop is enough to severely gently caress you up and possibly cause death due to your bones calcium being replaced by fluorine and breaking? Most acids are nightmare fuel, but fluorine was particularly loving awful.