Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Smythe has issued a correction as of 19:23 on May 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Shear Modulus posted:

you make an account on robinhood

the biggest cryptocurrency trading platform, coinbase, doesn't carry dogecoin for some reason

Ugh, I made all my meme stonk gains by not being on there

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

very nice. parallel parking or are you fancy enough to have a driveway :homebrew:

Somebody has issued a correction as of 21:52 on May 4, 2021

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

my biggest investing regret was not buying more dogecoins lmao

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Victory Position posted:

very nice. parallel parking or are you fancy enough to have a driveway :homebrew:

irl truth i have offstreet parking but i have to move 3 trashcans to get in or out & also perform a deathstar style trench run to get in the lot

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

i wanna live in Hollywood

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Impkins Patootie posted:

i wanna live in Hollywood

sell some coin and you too can live the dream of living in squalor for a zillion buckeroos

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Smythe posted:

irl truth i have offstreet parking but i have to move 3 trashcans to get in or out & also perform a deathstar style trench run to get in the lot

ah. the Chicago-style garage, in which every trashcan on the block is in your immediate path to and from your parking spot

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
leaving the parking spot is easier since i can subtly crash them out of my way (shitbox car enables this lifehack)

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

pushing with a car is a power move reserved for experts only :c00l:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

made twos days wages overnight but won’t sell. To The Moon

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Nonsense posted:

made twos days wages overnight but won’t sell. To The Moon

/

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I've been blessed with whatever the opposite of a gambler's mindset is. When I think of investing/trading, all I see in my mind's eye is me opening my account to massive losses and feeling terrible about it.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

I've been blessed with whatever the opposite of a gambler's mindset is. When I think of investing/trading, all I see in my mind's eye is me opening my account to massive losses and feeling terrible about it.

this is also me

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Ytlaya posted:

what are you buying thats so volatile you think you could get cleaned out overnight

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

i say swears online posted:

yes. when daytrading it's important to buy in when an asset hits all-time highs.

the op should have unironically bought dogecoin at its ath when this was posted and they would have profited

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

cumshitter posted:

what are you buying thats so volatile you think you could get cleaned out overnight

anything. I don't enough money ever to even begin to cover a loss even if a stock sinks by like -2%

basically losing just by buying in in the first place

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Yossarian-22 posted:

the op should have unironically bought dogecoin at its ath when this was posted and they would have profited

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Yossarian-22 posted:

Yes, that's why that advice was given.

Porpoise With A Purpose
Feb 28, 2006

i bought like 100 bucks in doge when it was 5 cents and cashed out at like 11 and though I was an investing genius.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Porpoise With A Purpose posted:

i bought like 100 bucks in doge when it was 5 cents and cashed out at like 11 and though I was an investing genius.

buddy if you make money, you're an investing genious

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
im a professional trader

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

The hotter, the wetter, the better

Victory Position posted:

anything. I don't enough money ever to even begin to cover a loss even if a stock sinks by like -2%

are you buying on margin or investing your rent money?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Nothing will stop doge

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

cumshitter posted:

Just like a gambler's mindset, my mindset is irrational.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/FirstSquawk/status/1383829227988873223?s=20

TO THE MOON

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

The best time to buy crypto will be after the inevitable crash when everyone declares crypto dead

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I can't buy crypto because I never linked a bank to Robinhood and the only way to put USD in my Kraken is via wire.

Can I do menial work for Doge?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
looks like dip is back on the menu boys

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Victory Position posted:

That isn't how buying stock works. If it goes down in value you don't owe someone money, its simply valued less.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
lol if you aren't gorging on leverage and hurling it all at meme stonks

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Victory Position posted:

as pookbear pointed out, you dont have to sell when the price goes down. one of the simplest ways to invest is to just buy an index fund and hold it. you would actually generate cash while doing this because it would pay dividends (and far more than you would get from leaving it as cash in the bank)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

cumshitter posted:

as pookbear pointed out, you dont have to sell when the price goes down. one of the simplest ways to invest is to just buy an index fund and hold it. you would actually generate cash while doing this because it would pay dividends (and far more than you would get from leaving it as cash in the bank)

I just do this because I'm lazy, and the dividends get reinvested

I wish I had gotten buttcoin in 2013, and then magically forgot until today, and then remembered, and then also remembered my password, and also not had my e-wallet stolen, and then sold it all today

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i guess i can talk earnestly here without getting yelled at as much for being a class traitor capitalist

i've been dca buying my way back into etfs because i liquidated like 2/3 of my portfolio in october to buy property and that didn't happen (lol :smithicide:)

i loving hate buying in at all time highs but i guess doing it over two months makes me want to puke less

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cold on a Cob posted:

i guess i can talk earnestly here without getting yelled at as much for being a class traitor capitalist

i've been dca buying my way back into etfs because i liquidated like 2/3 of my portfolio in october to buy property and that didn't happen (lol :smithicide:)

i loving hate buying in at all time highs but i guess doing it over two months makes me want to puke less

Just #YOLO and invest it all in Dogecoin, and maybe some Cardano as a safe side investment.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

cumshitter posted:

can you do this with Robinhood or does it have to be through a legit brokerage? I’ve seen indexes on RH but only the crazed ones.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Nonsense posted:

can you do this with Robinhood or does it have to be through a legit brokerage? I’ve seen indexes on RH but only the crazed ones.

just get an account at fidelity or something, I have one and they do 0 commission trades. buy SPYX for a safe bet

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Cold on a Cob posted:

oof that sux. what are you buying

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Nonsense posted:

i dont know about robinhood but unless you want to buy crypto you should open an account at Fidelity, Schwab, TD Ameritrade, or any other mainstream brokerage. equity trades should be free and you have access to people who can actually help you with your account 24/7. from what i understand robinhood's customer service is poo poo or non-existent.

Cold on a Cob posted:

time in the market is what generates results over the long run. several years down the line youll be glad you bought in.

cumshitter has issued a correction as of 22:55 on Apr 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Aglet56 posted:

https://twitter.com/stoolpresidente/status/1268542454086750208

i laughed at dave portnoy back in june 2020 and figured he'd eat poo poo. well... who's laughing now (not me)

he announced that he was going to invest half a million on 3/23 of last year, which was the absolute bottom of the market, and somehow he still lost money day trading

like assuming he bought in on 3/23 he could have thrown darts at a wall covered with random S&P 500 stocks and made money