Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Shibawanko posted:

i just hate canned phrases and slang is mostly canned phrases

You would say that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

ESL people and particularly english teachers who fake a ridiculously fancy british accent as their default

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Helith posted:

What else are you going to call it?
Getting ‘shot’ sounds terrible.
A small prick

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Killingyouguy! posted:

My bad for interacting with Tiggum in the peeves thread, but unless you're seeing people telling others 'it's not called a vaccine it's called a jab' or something then lmao wtf, people are allowed to use slang instead of being obligated to use the ~correct~ terminology

Nah this bullshit is why we are forced to say 'wear your face covering' instead of 'put on a mask' in retail and commercials and even PSAs in America so screw that. This isn't some Adobe™ Photoshop™ type situation where it's folks going 'well TECHNICALLY'. People do it because they're uncomfortable talking about the subject but I don't care, they can get over it and be adults, the time for playing off like it's just a thing you're doin' after work happened a couple hundred thousand unnecessary deaths ago

edit: I say this because I had to really push my grandparents to actually go and get it, they were just gonna do it "when we go get our next round of shots" because people keep minimizing its importance

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 00:28 on Apr 15, 2021

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Foxfire_ posted:

A small prick

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

When a dump truck is just trundling down the highway with an unsecured load of some bullshit, branches and huge dirt clods and construction debris, and then having the absolute loving balls to be sporting a sticker that says NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR BROKEN WINDSHIELDS!

So I guess I can just drive around throwing, like, sandwich bags full of nails out of my windows as long as I put a sticker on my car that says NOTHING THAT HAPPENS TO YOU IN MY PRESENCE IS MY FAULT

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Pastry of the Year posted:

When a dump truck is just trundling down the highway with an unsecured load of some bullshit, branches and huge dirt clods and construction debris, and then having the absolute loving balls to be sporting a sticker that says NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR BROKEN WINDSHIELDS!

So I guess I can just drive around throwing, like, sandwich bags full of nails out of my windows as long as I put a sticker on my car that says NOTHING THAT HAPPENS TO YOU IN MY PRESENCE IS MY FAULT

One weird trick to get away with drunk driving- moms hate this!

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Here in southwestern Ohio, driving around throwing trash out your window seems like it's a local sport.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tangentially related, but I remember being in middle school and throwing poo poo out the back of the bus on the freeway, those people looked pissed. Now that I'm old, I probably would have been too, but it was hilarious to be a little poo poo at the time. They didn't have a sticker like that on the back of the bus.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Those aren't legally binding fwiw. Turns out if you call the company and start talking about "dashcam footage" and "unsecured loads" and "getting police involved" the asshat construction managers will cough up a check for your windshield replacement in a real hurry.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I don't know which is more of a peeve, when Wish sends me stuff that is decidedly poo poo (a pair of bluetooth headphones that don't, directly, or through the manual, tells you which random gibberish is the item in question), or the fact that my racist-as-poo poo Dad's voice is still in my head and I can hear him being racist about 'lovely Japanese products'.

Also in the theme of FWP, I want to go to the zoo, even when COVID is still a thing and it's not exactly walking-around-the-zoo weather.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Riatsala posted:

Those aren't legally binding fwiw. Turns out if you call the company and start talking about "dashcam footage" and "unsecured loads" and "getting police involved" the asshat construction managers will cough up a check for your windshield replacement in a real hurry.

So you're saying I can get free money just by tracking down a random construction company and putting together a halfway convincing story?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Helith posted:

What else are you going to call it?
Getting ‘shot’ sounds terrible.

Nanobots

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Setting up a Call of Cthulhu group. Basically similar to DnD for those who dont know. To have a game it requires having 3-4 people online and they have to meet up consistently. I give out time zone. I set the time. Its 14:00-18:00 eastern time. Get loads of requests, half of them from the US basically signing up for playing a horror game at 8am on a saturday...

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Midig posted:

Setting up a Call of Cthulhu group. Basically similar to DnD for those who dont know. To have a game it requires having 3-4 people online and they have to meet up consistently. I give out time zone. I set the time. Its 14:00-18:00 eastern time. Get loads of requests, half of them from the US basically signing up for playing a horror game at 8am on a saturday...

Unless people demonstrate themselves to be massive flakes, I don't see the problem here? If people want to play a horror game at 8am on the Saturday then... cool?

Also where in the US are these people where 14:00 eastern equates to 8am? :psyduck:

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I'm misunderstanding you a bit there.
Are you upset that their timezones put them in the morning, and you're upset that they'd be playing a horror game in the cheery morning?
Or is the issue that they're barreling through, going 'lol wut r tim zones?' and applying for the incorrect times?

From playing some board games with goons online now and then, there are absolutely a bunch of americans up for playing games early in the morning, and as long as they show up it's all good.

e: ^^^ beaten

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've always preferred playing horror games during the day rather than night because I'm a bit of a baby and the atmosphere often overwhelms me otherwise.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Silver Falcon posted:

Unless people demonstrate themselves to be massive flakes, I don't see the problem here? If people want to play a horror game at 8am on the Saturday then... cool?

Also where in the US are these people where 14:00 eastern equates to 8am? :psyduck:

Incorrect times. If they expect to spend 4 hours every week. They could at minimum read the post and understand what that will mean for them.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

There's no day and night in the unfathomable depths of the ocean or the yawning celestial reaches, and the place where they fold in on each other is especially wonky time-wise. I don't think the sleeping gods mind terribly when you play!

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I bought two cheapy bluetooth earbuds on wish for me and my partner, different brands and poo poo, and both don't even bother to tell me what name it sends to my phone. I know, get what you pay for, but I live in an apartment building, and at any one time I've got a handful of bluetooth devices my phone picks up. Just say "oh it'll pair with the name XXXX" so I don't try to attach to my downstair's neighbor's vibrator, or whatever.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Instagram cropping

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Cooks that constantly slam their spoons or ladles against their pots while they cook.

Time to give this a normal stir. WHAM WHAM.

Is is 3 AM and you just created the best consomme in human history? Who knows! You sure as gently caress made me stop caring. WHAM WHAM WHAM WHAM WHAM!!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I find the sound of stuff hitting the pots and pans comforting

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
The man in the apartment next to mine shares custody of his two teenaged sons, and when they stay with him, they continuously make thumping and banging noises against the floors and walls. What is so aggravating to me is that I can't figure out what they're doing over there to make those noises. It sounds like they're throwing furniture around or playing tackle football, for hours at a time. Just continuous, irregularly-patterned sounds of heavy things being hurled around the room and hitting the floor. I can hear them through the walls when they yell at each other, but they're not yelling when they make these noises, so I don't think they're fighting or rough-housing. What are they doing in there???

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Rabbit Hill posted:

The man in the apartment next to mine shares custody of his two teenaged sons, and when they stay with him, they continuously make thumping and banging noises against the floors and walls. What is so aggravating to me is that I can't figure out what they're doing over there to make those noises. It sounds like they're throwing furniture around or playing tackle football, for hours at a time. Just continuous, irregularly-patterned sounds of heavy things being hurled around the room and hitting the floor. I can hear them through the walls when they yell at each other, but they're not yelling when they make these noises, so I don't think they're fighting or rough-housing. What are they doing in there???

Wall-mounted mini-basketball hoop? Those things can be way louder in an apartment than they have right to be.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Wall-mounted mini-basketball hoop? Those things can be way louder in an apartment than they have right to be.

It’s probably next to the bucket of springs and ball bearings that all upstairs neighbours fling on the floor at odd hours

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Vindolanda posted:

It’s probably next to the bucket of springs and ball bearings that all upstairs neighbours fling on the floor at odd hours

probably

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IRB0sxw-YU

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Inspector 34 posted:

This reminds me of the groups of older/middle aged women who walk together in my neighborhood. They walk in the street instead of the sidewalk and always like 4-6 of them side by side completely oblivious to any cars coming up behind them. There is a reason sidewalks exist ladies!

This is a pretty quiet suburban neighborhood so it's not like they're in any real danger of getting squashed they're just an enormous pain in the rear end when multiple groups are out at once all doing the same routine.

In my neighborhood it's always two people walking together, with strollers and a dog walking with traffic instead of against it and absolutely oblivious to anything around them. They don't even wave back when you drive around them.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm an upstairs neighbour but I'm generally conscientious about noise. I only have my TV and video games as loud as I need them to be to hear them properly, and while I've got back into practicing my piano I try to keep it to sociable hours, like middle of the day kind of time, not starting that before around 10am.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm an upstairs neighbour but I'm generally conscientious about noise. I only have my TV and video games as loud as I need them to be to hear them properly, and while I've got back into practicing my piano I try to keep it to sociable hours, like middle of the day kind of time, not starting that before around 10am.

So you're saying you practice piano when other people need to concentrate on work?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I just can't loving win can i...

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

cant cook creole bream posted:

So you're saying you practice piano when other people need to concentrate on work?

yeah well music is my work so... i do try to keep headphones as much as possible but that's not feasible

BioEnchanted posted:

I just can't loving win can i...

i hear ya. when people start going back to work i'll probably feel less guilty

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

This. My upstairs neighbor has one and we had to have a talk when I moved in. Especially annoying since there's a great basketball court within a hundred yards of our condo, and visible from his window.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Sites with passwords that don't have a Show Password option.

I bet the percentage of times I've had to change a password because I flubbed a single letter is over 50%.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

MisterBibs posted:

I bet the percentage of times I've had to change a password because I flubbed a single letter is over 50%.

Also sites that don’t show the password rules if they have them. Thankfully I don’t come across this often but it’s so infuriating when I do.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

MisterBibs posted:

but what if a nefarious hacker happens to break into your home or work and peer over your shoulder at the screen?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Riatsala posted:

This. My upstairs neighbor has one and we had to have a talk when I moved in. Especially annoying since there's a great basketball court within a hundred yards of our condo, and visible from his window.

Yeah but he probably can't dunk on that.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

HOLY gently caress posted:

Also sites that don’t show the password rules if they have them. Thankfully I don’t come across this often but it’s so infuriating when I do.

This. It's not often, but a few times I've had to resort to a password reset and as soon as I saw the rules for the new password, I knew what my old password was.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I have a peeve in general for US-americans who have never been anywhere else and consider someone who can explain the difference between the UK and England fascinating, but insist that the USA is the worstest most dumb most nationalist nothing good ever happened here country

But the person I'm dating is russian and we're livestreaming russian tv now, and holy poo poo russian tv. It's like someone took a parody of cartoony election coverage and made it russian. Russian tv is literally the worst US tv x1000000000000000000

The time they slaughtered all the nazis is still cool though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

HOLY gently caress posted:

Holy poo poo, yes. Your password needs to be 17 characters long. It needs to have a mix of upper and lower case letters. It needs to contain at least 4 numbers and special characters. It can't start or end with a number. No exclamation points allowed, because of reasons. But we'll only tell you one of these rules at a time until you guess them all.