Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Ultimate Mango posted:

I put a loaf of sourdough in there right after it came out of the (Anova precision) oven. Impossibly crackly skin with amazing soft interior.

Trip report on the precision oven? I want one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Yeah I am really tempted by that thing too but don't understand the benefits over traditional puddling + an oven.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Ultimate Mango posted:

I put a loaf of sourdough in there right after it came out of the (Anova precision) oven. Impossibly crackly skin with amazing soft interior.

You put the bread in the chamber vac?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Yeah I am really tempted by that thing too but don't understand the benefits over traditional puddling + an oven.

First: steam. Keep things (fish, proofing or baking bread, etc) perfectly moist while cooking them, and then switch to the broiler to crisp without having to break the salmon into pieces getting it out of the bag. Also, just throwing vegetables on a tray at 220F/100% steam for 10ish minutes, no messing with steamer baskets or a pot.

Heats up faster than a full-sized oven and holds temp quite precisely. I think it generates and exhausts steam to “spend” heat if it goes over temp, even.

Mine is very much a one-dot-oh product and really doesn’t connect to the app, but with that and the water tank cracking fixed it’s a great appliance. We hardly use our main (Thermador) oven at all, and lament its slow heating and inaccuracy when we do.

We cross-shopped against various convection toaster ovens of roughly the same size, and I’m glad that we went with this one, even with its rough edges.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Subjunctive posted:

We cross-shopped against various convection toaster ovens of roughly the same size, and I’m glad that we went with this one, even with its rough edges.

If one is in the market for a convection toaster oven, do you think it's worth the extra cost to step up to the Anova? I love the idea of getting rid of the waste associated with traditional sous vide and the worry over my lovely vac sealer. Giving away/selling the small air fryer, the sous vide stick + accessories, and paring down to just one device sounds appealing.

I wish they were for sale via Amazon, as I've got a bunch of points + gift certs to cash in on, tho

qutius fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 9, 2021

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

qutius posted:

Trip report on the precision oven? I want one

It’s awesome. Get it. I’ve used my “real” oven once since getting the APO

Zarin posted:

You put the bread in the chamber vac?

Yes. Straight from the oven.

Subjunctive posted:

First: steam. Keep things (fish, proofing or baking bread, etc) perfectly moist while cooking them, and then switch to the broiler to crisp without having to break the salmon into pieces getting it out of the bag. Also, just throwing vegetables on a tray at 220F/100% steam for 10ish minutes, no messing with steamer baskets or a pot.

Heats up faster than a full-sized oven and holds temp quite precisely. I think it generates and exhausts steam to “spend” heat if it goes over temp, even.

Mine is very much a one-dot-oh product and really doesn’t connect to the app, but with that and the water tank cracking fixed it’s a great appliance. We hardly use our main (Thermador) oven at all, and lament its slow heating and inaccuracy when we do.

This is a good post

qutius posted:

If one is in the market for a convection toaster oven, do you think it's worth the extra cost to step up to the Anova? I love the idea of getting rid of the waste associated with traditional sous vide and the worry over my lovely vac sealer. Giving away/selling the small air fryer, the sous vide stick + accessories, and paring down to just one device sounds appealing.

I wish they were for sale via Amazon, as I've got a bunch of points + gift certs to cash in on, tho

Get the APO. Get rid of the “air fryer” since the APO does that. Keep the sous vide and vacuum sealer, since I have had two puddles and the APO going all at once.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
I just sprang for the APO, arrives Sunday. Got any particular recommendations?

It seems to be fantastic for bread, and it seems like with this and a kitchenaid making awesome bread should be a snap. But I want to know what else it can do. Anova claims you can just use sous video recipes 1:1 basically, have you tried that? How's it worked out?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I make fish in it (chiefly salmon) and it’s great. SV mode at 130F, 100% steam, target probe temp around 122F. Texture is perfect, and you can aim a bit lower if you’re going to sear the skin after.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

My wife asked me to make my SV pulled pork again, which marks the first time she’s asked me to make something again. I thought about just doing SV all the way and using liquid smoke instead of throwing it in the smoker afterward, but I think I want to do it the exact same way and smoke it for a couple hours.

Subjunctive posted:

I make fish in it (chiefly salmon) and it’s great. SV mode at 130F, 100% steam, target probe temp around 122F. Texture is perfect, and you can aim a bit lower if you’re going to sear the skin after.

Should probably score the skin too if you’re going to eat the skin, for crispness. I don’t eat the skin and neither does my wife but I think ChefSteps says to do it. I usually just peel it off

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Arcsech posted:

I just sprang for the APO, arrives Sunday. Got any particular recommendations?

It seems to be fantastic for bread, and it seems like with this and a kitchenaid making awesome bread should be a snap. But I want to know what else it can do. Anova claims you can just use sous video recipes 1:1 basically, have you tried that? How's it worked out?

Yes you can do any sous vide anything. You can also add humidity to higher temps which opens up all sorts of possibilities.

Things that would be a pain to bag are easy in the APO. Bread without a Dutch oven. Steam veggies tendercrisp every time.

But start with the omelette.

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

life is killing me posted:

My wife asked me to make my SV pulled pork again, which marks the first time she’s asked me to make something again. I thought about just doing SV all the way and using liquid smoke instead of throwing it in the smoker afterward, but I think I want to do it the exact same way and smoke it for a couple hours.

I've also had family and coworkers ask when I'm making more. SV pulled pork is magical. Finishing in a smoker is definitely better than using liquid smoke and well worth the little bit of added effort.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

asciidic posted:

I've also had family and coworkers ask when I'm making more. SV pulled pork is magical. Finishing in a smoker is definitely better than using liquid smoke and well worth the little bit of added effort.

My thought as well—actual smoking imho trumps liquid smoke every time, if not just for the smoke flavor, also the bark. Seems it’d be weird eating pulled pork without some bark, all soft on the outside.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You can crisp it in the broiler after pulling it. That definitely isn't the same as bark, but it is very good

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Anne Whateley posted:

You can crisp it in the broiler after pulling it. That definitely isn't the same as bark, but it is very good

Yeah, this is what I do whenever I have pulled pork or carnitas. Spread it out thin on a foil-lined baking sheet, spoon a little of the leftover juices on top and place under the broiler for 3-5 minutes. Rotate the meat and repeat until you've got enough crisp surface area to your liking.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Going to cook my first brisket this week using meatheads method.

It’s only my wife and my toddler and I for a 11 pound brisket. From what I’ve been told, it doesn’t reheat easily, so I’m thinking of separating the point and flat (it’s about 11 pounds untrimmed) and cooking one, learning from my mistakes, and cooking the other next time.

Good idea? Or should I just cook it all at once? If cooking just one-is one part more forgiving than the other? My MES 18.5” will fit the whole thing and I can monitor the temp pretty easy with the FireBoard and fan.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
growing less satisfied with my results from sous vide NY strip steaks. I've been doing 132F for 2 hours (from frozen) and I don't really like the way the fat comes out. I make sure to sear the fat cap specifically to try and let it render a bit, but it's still got some fatty chunks that aren't really great texturally. Not sure if I should go up to 135 or what.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

go up to 135 and maybe tack on another thirty minutes from frozen

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

nwin posted:

Going to cook my first brisket this week using meatheads method.

It’s only my wife and my toddler and I for a 11 pound brisket. From what I’ve been told, it doesn’t reheat easily, so I’m thinking of separating the point and flat (it’s about 11 pounds untrimmed) and cooking one, learning from my mistakes, and cooking the other next time.

Good idea? Or should I just cook it all at once? If cooking just one-is one part more forgiving than the other? My MES 18.5” will fit the whole thing and I can monitor the temp pretty easy with the FireBoard and fan.

That’s how I did it. Check in the smoking thread (haven’t I seen you in that thread?) too. Basically I hosed up the flat and it got a little overdone because I was gone too long and when I got home it was 209 internally. Luckily I have the point so I get a second shot. I would have smoked the whole packer but my smoker isn’t big enough, so it worked out since I get that second shot. I don’t know for sure so confirm with someone who is more experienced but I think the point should be more forgiving since it has more fat.

But since you’re posting in the SV thread, I imagine you’re going to toss it in the water bath. Even the (lean) flat should be better off in SV alone, but if you smoke it after you know exactly the highest temperature it got to and it doesn’t need to be in there as long. It just cooks in SV basically in its own juices and shouldn’t get dry.

My flat, I smoked all the way though.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

life is killing me posted:

That’s how I did it. Check in the smoking thread (haven’t I seen you in that thread?) too. Basically I hosed up the flat and it got a little overdone because I was gone too long and when I got home it was 209 internally. Luckily I have the point so I get a second shot. I would have smoked the whole packer but my smoker isn’t big enough, so it worked out since I get that second shot. I don’t know for sure so confirm with someone who is more experienced but I think the point should be more forgiving since it has more fat.

But since you’re posting in the SV thread, I imagine you’re going to toss it in the water bath. Even the (lean) flat should be better off in SV alone, but if you smoke it after you know exactly the highest temperature it got to and it doesn’t need to be in there as long. It just cooks in SV basically in its own juices and shouldn’t get dry.

My flat, I smoked all the way though.

No, I meant to post this in the smoking thread and thought this was it because the talk about pork shoulder-whoops!

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

nwin posted:

No, I meant to post this in the smoking thread and thought this was it because the talk about pork shoulder-whoops!

Ah yeah they can kinda bleed together sometimes for anyone who does the SV to smoker method. At least for me if no one else

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

So after a year of almost daily use my Anova Nano died to what I suspect is hard water poisoning. Well it didn't really die, just would stop and report low water several times before usually working fine. Anova support was pretty good, sending me a return label after just two emails, and honored the 2 year warranty so I was only without a SV cooker for like four days. Now I'm using distilled water in hopes of preventing the same problem.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Just pour some vinegar in there with some water and circulate at room temp. It’ll take off the hard water eventually.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Lawnie posted:

Just pour some vinegar in there with some water and circulate at room temp. It’ll take off the hard water eventually.

This. You can speed it up by using distilled water and vinegar.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

you can also use citric acid to help clean mineral buildup

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

I recently smoked 4 racks of St Louis style spare ribs, and decided to sous vide the trimmings (rib tips, flaps and skirts). Cooked at 145 for about 28 hours and finished on the grill.

Not bad! Other than spitting out cartilage and little bones. Gonna try a whole rack next time.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Ugh Joule ruined my brisket I'm planning to smoke this weekend. Thought it was running at 155F, came home after work checked on the app only to be greeted by a 'software error' and my water temp in the danger zone without knowing how long it's been down there. :rip:

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

halokiller posted:

Ugh Joule ruined my brisket I'm planning to smoke this weekend. Thought it was running at 155F, came home after work checked on the app only to be greeted by a 'software error' and my water temp in the danger zone without knowing how long it's been down there. :rip:

And thus, you have summed up why i loving hate smart/connected appliances.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

halokiller posted:

I have a joule and love it but no poo poo, thank you for posting this so I can look out for this.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

toplitzin posted:

It is exactly the reason I bought the Anova with the controls on the device. I've hooked it up to my phone exactly one time and never since that first time I used it. I'm not saying that the Anova is better at keeping water at a specific temp, but it's not going to error out because the wifi died or something stupid.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Jhet posted:

It is exactly the reason I bought the Anova with the controls on the device. I've hooked it up to my phone exactly one time and never since that first time I used it. I'm not saying that the Anova is better at keeping water at a specific temp, but it's not going to error out because the wifi died or something stupid.

:same:
I have an anova and a sansaire.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Jhet posted:

Its not like those are immune to software failures though, it happens from time to time.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah I mean I’ve had the joule running on a pork shoulder for 24 hours with zero problems when my phone was disconnected for a good amount of time, I mean technology will fail you though

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

swickles posted:

Its not like those are immune to software failures though, it happens from time to time.

Definitely. That's part of any machine. But if I have a machine I can press buttons to set, it's not going to change settings because of stupid phone BS. This way I only have to trust one machine to do what it's supposed to be doing.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
I have an old SVS that I've been using on average a couple times a week for over a decade and the only time it's hosed up is when the GFCI on the outlet it was plugged into tripped.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Yuuuup, I really appreciate the physical control Anova puts on their stuff. I use the app a bit more with the oven than I do with the circulator, but still just use the on-device controls most often.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
It's funny that sous vide is marketed as "stress free" the same way they try to sell crock pots, because I'm basically always worried about something with my 24+ hour cooks. I never have to worry if a bag is broken/floating/too much water's evaporated when I'm cooking something for 2 hours in the oven.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

toplitzin posted:

I have dumb old school sous vide with a PID controller that looks like electronic lab equipment, but it fucks up on occasion too. Thankfully/regretfully in the hot direction.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Anyone done diver scallops sous vide? Normally I'd say this was stupid and it's basically impossible to get a good sear on the outside without the inside being adequately cooked so no real point for sous vide but we're doing sushi and what I'm thinking about doing is just cooking them sous video, no sear, and then treating them like they're raw. And the reason I'm not just going to eat them raw is I'm not sure they're good enough quality to be eaten raw (they're vacuum sealed frozen Costco).

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I would trust the commercial freezing process to not give you parasites if that's your concern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Anne Whateley posted:

I would trust the commercial freezing process to not give you parasites if that's your concern.

I'm not worried about that I'm just worried about texture mostly. Like I'm kind of guessing that mediocre quality/frozen for quite a while raw scallop will have a worse texture than mediocre quality/frozen for quite a while cooked scallop. That could be a false assumption though. Maybe I should just eat one raw and see what its like. They're not thawed yet though.