Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I don't feel like this setup with Endeavor/Hawks/Best Jeanist/All Might/Deku going out to find Shigaraki is going to just immediately yield the final battle. There's just too many open threads involving the actual badguys here to just slam straight into it. Toga's still out there on her own, so are the PLA lieutenants and 200-ish well-trained members who killed Midnight, the rest of the escapees from Tatarus (including the ones with name tags like Stain and Moonfish), Overhaul, Mystery Woman from Tartarus, whatever they're needing to do to get the rest of the kids involved in the final battle, etc etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

hiddenriverninja posted:

After going 0/4 on satisfying manga endings (Naruto, Bleach, Shokugeki No Soma, and Attack on Titan) I'm hoping MHA will break my streak.

Three of those are shonen jump, just to point out the obvious.

Meanwhile Fullmetal Alchemist had a fantastic ending.

I wonder how much is the fault of editorial pressures and how much of it is just authors not managing to stick the landing.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Fabricated posted:

I don't feel like this setup with Endeavor/Hawks/Best Jeanist/All Might/Deku going out to find Shigaraki is going to just immediately yield the final battle. There's just too many open threads involving the actual badguys here to just slam straight into it. Toga's still out there on her own, so are the PLA lieutenants and 200-ish well-trained members who killed Midnight, the rest of the escapees from Tatarus (including the ones with name tags like Stain and Moonfish), Overhaul, Mystery Woman from Tartarus, whatever they're needing to do to get the rest of the kids involved in the final battle, etc etc.

Yeah I think people are jumping the gun here. Considering how many times MHA was swerved the plot I'm not going to assume we're in the endgame just because Deku wants to go punch Shigaraki now. If the plot was that simple Shigaraki would have killed All Might like 250 chapters ago.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
Yeah the pace recently has been really whackadoo. Just doublechecked and Deku first 'uses' Blackwhip in chapter 210 and then uses Float in 283. Now in less than half that time he's gained and is familiar with 2 to possibly all 4 of the rest of them. Also him half-assedly writing everyone in the school a Dear John/Plot Synopsis over the course of 2 panels was incredibly half-assed and felt super rushed. Wonder what's going on behind the scenes.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Ryaomon posted:

Yeah the pace recently has been really whackadoo. Just doublechecked and Deku first 'uses' Blackwhip in chapter 210 and then uses Float in 283. Now in less than half that time he's gained and is familiar with 2 to possibly all 4 of the rest of them. Also him half-assedly writing everyone in the school a Dear John/Plot Synopsis over the course of 2 panels was incredibly half-assed and felt super rushed. Wonder what's going on behind the scenes.

the entire bit explaining One For All and Deku's importance to Inko feels so truncated and like it should be a much bigger deal for her to learn that her son is basically the most important and most powerful teenager in Japan, if not the world

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

grieving for Gandalf posted:

the entire bit explaining One For All and Deku's importance to Inko feels so truncated and like it should be a much bigger deal for her to learn that her son is basically the most important and most powerful teenager in Japan, if not the world
Writing it out I imagine is something an editor would declare a no-no since you're reiterating information the the audience already has. Same deal with the note to the class.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Plus we already had the big "Inko isn't cool with her son's limbs constantly exploding" scene.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Fabricated posted:

Writing it out I imagine is something an editor would declare a no-no since you're reiterating information the the audience already has. Same deal with the note to the class.

While that's a good general rule to follow, I think sometimes this can result in situations where writers skip scenes the audience is actually interested in seeing, since characters' possible reactions to that information has been a driving reason for it to be withheld up to that point of the story.

I'm hoping that skipping ahead a bit so Deku can start running around with the top three won't entirely moot the tension that was floating around the story before regarding Deku's big secret. Maybe if we check back in with Deku's mom or his friends in a bit and see some more fallout from this revelation, it'll help balance out the pace of things a bit.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
To be honest I was kind of hoping Deku overlooking the city would be the last we see of him for a while. Imagine if after that we'd cut to Bakugo or Uraraka or something for a little bit and see how they deal with the aftermath of everything for that timeskip period and then we finally see Deku again after a real-world month or two when he chumps Muscular

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Larryb posted:

Plot Twist: Her idiot son's reckless behavior finally causes Inko to snap and become a villain, taking over as the final boss of the series.
The massive glut of fanfiction that has Midoriya becoming the Joker comes true, but in a way nobody thought of.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Imagine Inko just ripping people's heads off with her mind powers.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Fabricated posted:

yeah sure but I want to at least see more of her grappling with it. for that matter, I know it's the old joke at this point, but I want to see the scene where someone contacts his dad and tells him he's the most important teenager in the world

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Midoriya's dad was killed by All for One from a certain point of view/is a famous jazz musician who supports his family from afar/is a Pokémon Trainer/(other).

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Arist posted:

I'm a little annoyed with this for the simple reason that the story's been yelling at Izuku from minute one that he can't keep breaking his loving limbs, to the point we were on his last chance for reals no takesies-backsies, and then he turns his arms into chunky salsa and it gets conveniently waved away.

the jump editorial board told horikoshi that "destroying yourself for capital society is bad and will hurt your loved ones" was a message unbecoming a professional mangaka

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Midoriya's dad was killed by All for One from a certain point of view/is a famous jazz musician who supports his family from afar/is a Pokémon Trainer/(other).
Deku's Pokemon team specializes in Reckless recoil moves because he's trying to mimic the power of All Might's Sheer Force team, until he realizes he needs to find his own identity, and starts specializing in priority moves instead.

One For All Full Coverage: Mach Style!

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Deku's dad should never show up, but during the final battle All For One should start breathing fire everywhere just before he dies and no one comments on it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Looks like the animation budget is finally back for this week’s episode (also Tsu finally gets to do something significant for the first time in a while)

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

SKULL.GIF posted:

Demon Slayer had a weirdly abrupt transition to the final arc too.

I agree, but at the same time I'm glad it wasn't dragged out and lost steam.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The anime got me thinking about how the majority of the Joint Training arc had literally no real stakes outside of Shinso potentially joining the hero class, except that now that we're heading into the endgame and the Academia part of the title has been functionally abandoned, that stake has almost no real chance of being followed up on in a meaningful way outside of maybe Shinso having one fight.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The Joint Training Arc was basically just "Yep, the main characters are the main characters and will succeed over the literal B-Team by virtue of being the main characters. Except for Momo."

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm going to say it again: literally no one outside of Shinso or freaking Monoma had literally any stake in the outcome of Joint Training besides base-level competitiveness. That it both eats up as many chapters as it does and introduces the other Quirks is absurd.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I wonder if Shinso could have helped against Shigaraki or if AfO would have stopped that like the past OfA users did during his fight with Midoriya.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

AfO undoubtedly would've broken Shiggy out of that considering he just straight up hijacked his body.

Granted, that requires Shiggy to talk to Shinso in the first place.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

If anything, it probably would have made it easier for All For One to assume control.

Do you think they gave Shinso Deku's old room now that he's probably taken his spot in class?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Arist posted:

I'm going to say it again: literally no one outside of Shinso or freaking Monoma had literally any stake in the outcome of Joint Training besides base-level competitiveness. That it both eats up as many chapters as it does and introduces the other Quirks is absurd.

And expands on about 25 characters that absolutely do not matter

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

The fights will probably look cool animated though.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I do admit it was funny to me not remembering some of 1-B and then realizing the ones I don't remember are the ones involved in Bakugo's match.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I remember Lizard Girl and Mantis Guy because they have really strong designs. On the other hand, outside of Momoa and Shinso, I have no idea who fought against Deku and his team in the last match.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

The Joint Training Arc was basically just "Yep, the main characters are the main characters and will succeed over the literal B-Team by virtue of being the main characters. Except for Momo."

But the people who beat Momo's team really didn't feel like they won, you know?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Kinoko is good.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Waffleman_ posted:

Kinoko is good.

Yeah she's great

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It is occasionally okay for a manga to have chapters just dedicated to giving characters time to do things and to show off the growth they have actually gotten.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It feels like at some point there was going to be a lot more for Class B, Shinsou, etc to do and that went quietly by the wayside rather than entire arcs being cut or anything. The progression of the plot from My Villain Academia to the War Arc made perfectly fine sense to me, and it feels like it would've been weird to shoehorn some other arc with a different arc villain (even if you like, pulled out one of the MLA bigwigs or something) into that timeline.

When I read Joint Training, I was mostly bored by it because it wasn't useless but it WAS just there to check boxes.

Joint Training was basically Horikoshi being like "uhhhh okay I need to do the following":
-Establish 1-B's quirks and hero names
-Show everyone's powerups/capabilities
-Gate Shinsou back into the story
-One For All multi-quirk/history reveal

And he checks off those boxes. Shame that the *actual content* of the arc kinda doesn't have a point in and of itself! I was thinking "Okay the payoff comes later when we obviously get our big battle royale at some point", then the War Arc comes and goes and most of 1-B is...somewhere else. Some of the 1-B kids help out with Momo's plan and then they vanish completely again, while some just aren't even there to do anything! Shinsou is never seen again after this arc and may not be seen again in any useful capacity depending on how quickly this "final arc" is ran through. I swear whatever translated statement from Horikoshi's editor declaring this the homestretch of the manga implied this was not going to be a short arc and would take a while, but I haven't bothered to find it again. The setup of this arc lends itself well to being a very very long arc with lots of shorter stories in it, and it also lends itself to a Kubo-style boss rush to a wet fart of an ending.

Kimetsu No Yaiba supposedly just jumped straight to its final boss rush because of personal troubles Gotouge was having- the exact details of which have been speculated on by Japanese tabloids but never actually explained. I want to say the tabloids said it was family trouble that required Gotouge actually move from Tokyo, with the implication they may not come back to ever be a mangaka again. It sounded real serious but I don't think anyone ever confirmed a single detail.

Kubo was just burnt out and dying, and didn't get along with Jump editorial I thought.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 17, 2021

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

The Joint training arc is fun and gave me exactly what I want out of the 'Academia' side of my hero academia: Kids with crazy quirks duking it out and showing off their stuff.

This arc feels like its partially for the people who complained that Horikoshi skipped over a bunch of non-MC fights in the practical training, tournament and teacher battles and are always asking to see more of the school side of the series. But then you just get other people complaining about the lack of stakes so theres no real way to win this.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I mean like I get the idea, but it was an absolute slog to read through, even all at once. It didn't help that the chapters were like half length as well.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Joint Training would make a lot of sense if it was laying groundwork for basically all of the pro heroes to be shuffled aside as a result of the war arc and the various students having to step into a more active role, but that doesn't really seem to be happening.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Not helping the Joint Training's case is that most of 1-A came off as incompetent boobs.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Veterans of life or death battles being beaten by kids who studied in school is the dumbest part of Joint Training yes

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i liked joint training because i like seeing what horikoshi's fun characters can do and 1-B is neat, thanks for reading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!
I think it's actually rather clear in retrospect that the Joint Training arc was Horikoshi giving one last proper arc for the school things and for all the non main characters to get something. It feels a bit low stakes and indulgent because it absolutely is but at this current point in time I'm happy for what it was/is given how the manga is and where it seems to be going.