Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Even if you spoil them with all the shreddable toys in the world, they'll never stop. As soon as they pick at something to the point where it has pullable parts, it becomes one of their many targets. Mine chew the walls, anything rubberized like my mouse, and lately Chickadoodle managed to pull a thread loose on my chair which has opened up a whole new world of torment for me. There was one loose strand this morning but the floodgates were opened once Chick realised, and the amount of loose threads has grown exponentially since then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

have you tried eating the walls? dont knock it til you try it drat

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

hbag posted:

have you tried eating the walls? dont knock it til you try it drat

Drywall just tastes like chalk.

I was a weird kid.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Omg we have had many, many conversations over the last 20 years about what is and is not an acceptable thing to chew.

Pookie does not really change. She decided when she was about... 5 that her limits were her limits, and gently caress you guys, I'ma chew holes in your stuff. I love that girl so much, but you just have to watch her otherwise. She's basically, you didn't check me so it's your fault if I ate it.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Peachy!

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

:syoon: Even the harness matches!

Plant MONSTER. posted:

PESTO STOP EATING WALLS

Good fuckin luck. In all my years the only thing I could do to keep my bird from destroying the walls was constant toys, attention and removal from said walls.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Today's morning greeting:
https://i.imgur.com/unx9Q8Z.mp4

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

:kimchi:

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

CW: Some graphic images of injuries

One of the birds rescued from the World Parrot Refuge by Night Owl and Greyhaven has recovered and found a forever home.

I met IO when Scout was at Night Owl, and like this video says he has come a long long way. Cockatoos are amazing birds.

quote:

After life and death fight, rescued parrot lands loving home

I.O., one of hundreds of parrots rescued when the World Parrot Rescue closed in 2016, found his forever home thanks to a North Vancouver resident. He survived thanks to the work of Dr. Anne Mcdonald of the Night Owl Bird Hospital and now supporters are raising money to pay $2 million in vet bills.
https://tinyurl.com/mfbchzxt

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Young magpie is not terribly keen on rehydrated crickets, and needs to eat something other than maintenance pellets and the occasional scrap of cheese.

Mealworm time!
https://i.imgur.com/nqxEUP8.mp4

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Being someone who is mortified of insects, I don't know if I could handle Australia. It looks worse than the American South in that regard, and I've lived through Biblical level cicada plagues. (Just google "Nashville Brood X" and look at some of the 1998 pictures. I don't want to. But it's loving unreal.)

But I would bathe in insects to get to live amongst such lovely, friendly birbs of all shapes and sizes. :kimchi:

How do you ever get any work done when you can spend time feeding cockatoos on your balcony?!?!

(Universal healthcare too. That would be huge. I need to marry an Australian/Canadian/European and smuggle my Pops over in a suitcase.)

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Brood X emerges this year, I'm excited to see all the stupid clumsy buzzy boys :3:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

DarkHorse posted:

Brood X emerges this year, I'm excited to see all the stupid clumsy buzzy boys :3:

in cincy snappy tomato pizza has rewritten their jingle for the last two broods to snappy cicada pizza and paid for radio airtime lol

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I bought a box of live mealworms in bran, and a small plastic escape-proof bowl to put them in to feed to little magpie.

I put a worm in the bowl and put it on top of the wall, but when magpie pecked the worm the bowl also moved and startled it, so now it distrusts the bowl and won't take worms from it.
After picking out a dozen worms from the bran and placing them one at a time on the wall for the magpie to eat, I decided to just tip the whole lot in the big feeding plate in my back yard.
Of course magpie immediately starts tossing bran all over the table instead of carefully sifting (I should have seen this coming), so I take the plate and once again sift through them myself and throw them to magpie.
At least it's easier on a big plate.

A fun afternoon was had and magpie was very happy with all the mealworms.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Captain Log posted:

I've lived through Biblical level cicada plagues. (Just google "Nashville Brood X" and look at some of the 1998 pictures. I don't want to. But it's loving unreal.)

This is a key area where we differ because if you ever wanted to see a grown man become a Disney princess, drop me off in a cicada swarm and watch me twirl and sing.

edit- I had a job working at a museum where kids could interact with our giant bugs. There's pictures of me with Eurycantha horrida covering my face.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i know phobias are by nature illogical but i never understood cicada fear. even for insects they’re dumb as driveway gravel and just kind of bumble harmlessly around

i haven’t listened to the radio for years but there’s always a bunch of morning show calls with someone screaming and refusing to get out of their car because there are cicadas on it everywhere

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

As a southerner way up in Canada I assume I get no cicadas this year and am sad about it :(

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

subpar anachronism posted:

As a southerner way up in Canada I assume I get no cicadas this year and am sad about it :(

depends on where you are. i am also a transplant and often hear cicadas in ontario summers.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

No cicadas in my neck of Canada. I'm kind of sad about it. Also no mantids, and I have never seen a firefly. Two species of frog, one species of toad, apparently one species of salamander but I've never seen one, and one snake. No lizards, just a little bit too far north for turtles.

It's cold here. We still have snow on the ground. Not that I live in a barren wasteland by any means, but the diversity of cold blooded creatures is pretty limited this far north. We do have a cyclic plague of tent caterpillars that sweeps through every ten or so years, and for a couple years they eat everything in sight and also are just generally on all surfaces for a while. They're gross but harmless.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I think this is my favorite selection of Raven videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLH9cNa1XqfaTMNJewh7MzuG10FthITlq4

I don't think this forum embeds youtube videos like twitter - but this is one of my favorite of them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE3f2H_5mXU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I got to see fireflies a few times in Chicago in the mid-90s and it really was a magical experience :)
First time I heard cicadas was on the french/spanish border as a teenager, and it was then I learned about age-related hearing loss. My father, who was apparently perfectly able to hear everything could not hear the cicadas that were deafening everyone else. The wavelength was just gone for him.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Chick is being a monumental douchebag. I originally thought she was snappy with Wasabi because he has a habit of pinching when he preens. He's since gotten over that habit (sort of), but Chick is selective over when she allows him to be close or not. They do lots of beak dueling, but nothing too serious. Mainly she'll just scare him off and he'll fly somewhere else, but the poor goober is on edge if she comes close, even if she's being friendly, he'll yelp... So his natural instinct is to yelp if she moves towards him and then that gets her in alert mode and then they squabble. Or he'll try and preen her and if she looks at him he squeaks and runs off. I'm almost certain that they're opposite genders, as Wasabi is much more vocal, sings a lot, enjoys toys more. So could it be his attempts to get close to her cause these arguments?

Scratching my head over it though, despite all this, I'll still see them sat side by side sleeping together. If I take Chick out to the kitchen, Wasabi pines after her. If Chick comes down to spend time with me, he's not long behind joining. It's bedtime routine and the cage was half covered and dim, and they had a big old squabble and Wasabi kept flying to a different perch and generally keeping away from her cause she was very antsy (squawking at him when he tries to land at her perch, chasing him away from the seagrass net). I kept an eye on them and it wasn't anything dangerous, and after ten mins I turned one of the bedroom lights off so the cage was more shadowed and they've both calmed down now and are on top of their seagrass hut. What can I do to get them to stop, or be better friends. Am I encouraging Chick to be an rear end in a top hat considering how close she is with me? This past week has had her chasing Wasabi off my finger / knee / shoulder more than she ever did before. She's nothing but sweet to me, if a bit bitey, but in a good natured way. Is this just bird puberty? Kinda tired of seeing Wasabi get treat like a punching bag, when all he wants is to simp.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

I'm a full grown man who has PTSD and night terrors. But I've never once had a terror involving insects. I don't worry about them and wouldn't even call my issue fear. It's some sort of base instinct level disgust that appears to be hardwired into me.

I've used immersion therapy throughout my life to deal with fears and phobias, knocking them out one by one. The only one I couldn't conquer through my normal route of "learning everything I can about it" was insects. I can't even step on a bug or pick a dead one up with a Kleenex. It makes my skin crawl.

But all that said, I never sat in a car refusing to leave because of cicadas. My issues might be illogical, but I can still override myself in needed situations.

Ugh. I need to go pet Serra to stop thinking about the fuckers.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Machine gun woodpecker. Sound on!
https://i.imgur.com/lRP05iI.mp4

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

theHUNGERian posted:

Machine gun woodpecker. Sound on!
https://i.imgur.com/lRP05iI.mp4

is he ok

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

Qubee posted:

Chick is being a monumental douchebag. I originally thought she was snappy with Wasabi because he has a habit of pinching when he preens. He's since gotten over that habit (sort of), but Chick is selective over when she allows him to be close or not. They do lots of beak dueling, but nothing too serious. Mainly she'll just scare him off and he'll fly somewhere else, but the poor goober is on edge if she comes close, even if she's being friendly, he'll yelp... So his natural instinct is to yelp if she moves towards him and then that gets her in alert mode and then they squabble. Or he'll try and preen her and if she looks at him he squeaks and runs off. I'm almost certain that they're opposite genders, as Wasabi is much more vocal, sings a lot, enjoys toys more. So could it be his attempts to get close to her cause these arguments?

Scratching my head over it though, despite all this, I'll still see them sat side by side sleeping together. If I take Chick out to the kitchen, Wasabi pines after her. If Chick comes down to spend time with me, he's not long behind joining. It's bedtime routine and the cage was half covered and dim, and they had a big old squabble and Wasabi kept flying to a different perch and generally keeping away from her cause she was very antsy (squawking at him when he tries to land at her perch, chasing him away from the seagrass net). I kept an eye on them and it wasn't anything dangerous, and after ten mins I turned one of the bedroom lights off so the cage was more shadowed and they've both calmed down now and are on top of their seagrass hut. What can I do to get them to stop, or be better friends. Am I encouraging Chick to be an rear end in a top hat considering how close she is with me? This past week has had her chasing Wasabi off my finger / knee / shoulder more than she ever did before. She's nothing but sweet to me, if a bit bitey, but in a good natured way. Is this just bird puberty? Kinda tired of seeing Wasabi get treat like a punching bag, when all he wants is to simp.

Scamp is also a hen, and he’s just a few months older than Chickadee, so I’m speaking from experience: This is hen puberty. They’re little meanies for several months.
She’ll be back to her new baseline in about half a year.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

hbag posted:

is he ok

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Birb found way to be more loud, he's living the dream

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

hbag posted:

is he ok

Tsaedje posted:

Birb found way to be more loud, he's living the dream

It's this. I got one of these guys in my neighbourhood today, doing the same thing. Flickers will do this all spring, and the urban ones found out the percussive potential of metal is POWERFUL.

I love them.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

does it not hurt his face
like fr

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I mean, probably not any more than drumming on wood does. It's true that I have not asked a woodpecker, but I would suspect that they aren't using the same force when they're trying to make a noise versus trying to get at a bug in a tree.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

hbag posted:

does it not hurt his face
like fr

Woodpecker tongues wrap around their brain to cushion them, in another example of birds are weird

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

RoboRodent posted:

I mean, probably not any more than drumming on wood does. It's true that I have not asked a woodpecker, but I would suspect that they aren't using the same force when they're trying to make a noise versus trying to get at a bug in a tree.

Tsaedje posted:

Woodpecker tongues wrap around their brain to cushion them, in another example of birds are weird

This. Woodpeckers are specifically evolved for this, they're fine. Flickers in particular are ground foragers, and only drum as a territorial thing or when signaling potential mates - that whole thing is a flicker advertising to the opposite sex that it's horny and ready.

Wailing on metal like that as a signal is very common with urban and suburban woodpeckers, it's louder and resonates further than drumming on wood.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

There was research into woodpeckers to try and develop better helmets for hockey and football. Dunno if anything ever came of it, but I'm a hockey fan, not a sports scientist.

Conversely, maybe all woodpeckers just go about life super concussed all the time.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Not sure there's much to teach unless they're going to start putting smaller helmets inside football players' skulls

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

My aunt adopted a two-year-old GCC recently! I won't post any pictures since the only ones she's sent are of him snuggling with her and her partner but trust me he is extremely cute (they are calling him 'he' but not sure if they've done a DNA test or are just guessing). I live in another state but have mentioned that I love birds and follow a bird forum and am full of helpful info if they would like.

She's just sent me a message that they have a problem in that she is clearly his favourite but the original idea was for him to mostly be a companion for her partner, who is retired and needs a buddy around the house while she's at work. I know it's a common issue I've seen people post about here that parrots will just pick a favourite and it can get a bit awkward for the person left out, but does anyone have any links to info about how to deal with it that I can link to her? I don't think he's displaying any aggression to her partner or anything, he just clearly loves her best.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

The woodpeckers that live on my road (Greater spotted, I'm pretty sure) absolutely love to drum on the drainpipes on houses; they look for hollow trees to do their territorial drumming in woodland so I guess metal pipes make a good substitute, since hollow trees don't usually get left standing in the city.

Also woodpeckers just love chaos.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

GotLag posted:

Not sure there's much to teach unless they're going to start putting smaller helmets inside football players' skulls

:hmmyes:

Organza, congrats to them on the new family member!! :kimchi: but also oh no! Birds can be just the worst lol. Not links, but I remember the advice usually given includes having the Favorite be the one to perform unpleasant tasks (nail trims, bedtimes, time outs) and the other person gets to be the good cop who has treats and toys and full license to spoil the hell out of the little monster.

That said, you know how sometimes you meet someone and you just immediately click? That happens for birds too. She might always be the favorite, even if/when the bird is happy to spend time with her partner during the day. I don't know what it is about birds, but it really seems like whenever there are two people to pick from for bonding they always choose the one they shouldn't. :lol:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006