Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

>>"Oh, it's probably not related to this, but I did see an Algir in a stable earlier today when on guild business. Not necessarily evil per se, but it seemed like a weird thing to see in the city."

"It's an honour to be asked to help with the investigation. I'll have to discuss something that important with the rest of the team. Can we get back to you tomorrow when Marlowe comes in for his deposition?"

e: "What he was wearing. Just a suit and cape I think, it was dark, hard to tell. He had a cane. He had pointy ears like an elf.

>>If that goes well Baker will head off to the Mage's Guild to file her report.

Facebook Aunt fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

>>Marlowe heads on in, giving thanks to the guy working the door, and over to booth where Corno is after spotting him. "Corno. Ma'am." they say in brief greeting to the noble and the large woman. "Sorry to barge in like this but there's been a development. Well two if ya count that I just fought goddamn Dracula with some help from a couple of friends. Anyway the more relevant one now is that someone wanted to arrange a meetin' with ya... they sent a guy named Von to hook it up, real tough bruiser but seemed okay. Said it was a female noble who already knew ya, seemed to be about an 'island vacation' that ya took recently? They seemed on the level but wanted to let ya know cause I said I'd pass on whether ya were willin' to meet 'em."

>>The detective speaks loud enough for them to hear but keeps relatively hushed so they're not spreading Cannius business around the whole place.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Facebook Aunt posted:

>>"Oh, it's probably not related to this, but I did see an Algir in a stable earlier today when on guild business. Not necessarily evil per se, but it seemed like a weird thing to see in the city."

"It's an honour to be asked to help with the investigation. I'll have to discuss something that important with the rest of the team. Can we get back to you tomorrow when Marlowe comes in for his deposition?"

e: "What he was wearing. Just a suit and cape I think, it was dark, hard to tell. He had a cane. He had pointy ears like an elf.

>>If that goes well Baker will head off to the Mage's Guild to file her report.

It's fine. They ask you not to share details of the case with the public. Algiz are not illegal to have but they do want to know where it is in case it gets out of control. When you get to the guild the mages are all "Jesus Christ" and tell the guildmistress, who immediately transforms into a huge wolf and leaps out the window.

"Uuuuh, I guess she got it handled?"

Stoner Sloth posted:

>>Marlowe heads on in, giving thanks to the guy working the door, and over to booth where Corno is after spotting him. "Corno. Ma'am." they say in brief greeting to the noble and the large woman. "Sorry to barge in like this but there's been a development. Well two if ya count that I just fought goddamn Dracula with some help from a couple of friends. Anyway the more relevant one now is that someone wanted to arrange a meetin' with ya... they sent a guy named Von to hook it up, real tough bruiser but seemed okay. Said it was a female noble who already knew ya, seemed to be about an 'island vacation' that ya took recently? They seemed on the level but wanted to let ya know cause I said I'd pass on whether ya were willin' to meet 'em."

>>The detective speaks loud enough for them to hear but keeps relatively hushed so they're not spreading Cannius business around the whole place.

The knight rolls her eyes. "Dracula's not real, kid."
Corno rubs his head and says he'll do the meeting first thing tomorrow morning.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

SniperWoreConverse posted:

The knight rolls her eyes. "Dracula's not real, kid."
Corno rubs his head and says he'll do the meeting first thing tomorrow morning.

>>"Wish I could still believe that sister, hell it's what I'd have said if ya asked me half an hour ago, but ya gotta trust the evidence of your own eyes especially when they're all ya got." replies Marlowe. After a moments thought they add to Corno "Can ya make it second thing, I gotta give a report to the Temple of Justice about the vampire first thing. Would probably be best if at least some of us accompanied ya just in case. Speakin' of, is it alright if Roz or someone sticks with ya - don't have to keep 'em too close but want to make sure ya not in any danger. I'm sure ya fine here obviously given present company but what with everything going on, better safe that sorry right?"

>>"In any case if ya plannin' on meetin' them, I'll let ya get back to ya evenin' and go let Von know the deal." the beholder comments and then nods to Corno and then the knight "Nice meetin' ya... uh sorry, didn't catch ya name." waiting to see if either of them has anything more to say before making ready to leave and head to the inn where the beholder told Von they'd leave a message.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

It's fine. They ask you not to share details of the case with the public. Algiz are not illegal to have but they do want to know where it is in case it gets out of control. When you get to the guild the mages are all "Jesus Christ" and tell the guildmistress, who immediately transforms into a huge wolf and leaps out the window.

"Uuuuh, I guess she got it handled?"

>>Baker looks around. I guess I should go find my team. Except I don't know where they are. And I don't want to wander the streets alone in the dark right now. I should really check the library. Yeah, that's the ticket.

>>She goes to look up vampires, especially any that can turn into floating glowy bits. Obviously looks up protection from vampires. And since it's the mage's guild magical protection from vampires -- there might be a charm or a spell that can repel or hurt vampires. Maybe a protection from being charmed charm, that would be handy.

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

>> Once that fuckin' meatball heads outta the fancy-rear end place, Rozalin slinks back to the booth, sitting beside her 'papa' and sighs. Bein' a noble is hard fuckin work!

>> "oyo da', s'wha's ya 'pinion 'bou' alla this? i am sorry fer comin' in all loud an shi', by th'way - didn'a mean t'gently caress up nothin'. I really will pu' alla my effort inta 'vengin' ya - s'leas' I coul' do."
Quietly, to Corno she whispers, "o' yah, did i eva tell ya i's wunna them offshoo' offsprings? dime a dozen 'alf-noble, born from a mistress an'a noble an' cast out t'th' mean stree'sa Carrine, jus' like in a buncha y'books. gonna fin' th' bastard an' I dunno, squeeze 'em for cash? reinstate m'noble title? wot d'ya'think?"

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Stoner Sloth posted:

>>"Wish I could still believe that sister, hell it's what I'd have said if ya asked me half an hour ago, but ya gotta trust the evidence of your own eyes especially when they're all ya got." replies Marlowe. After a moments thought they add to Corno "Can ya make it second thing, I gotta give a report to the Temple of Justice about the vampire first thing. Would probably be best if at least some of us accompanied ya just in case. Speakin' of, is it alright if Roz or someone sticks with ya - don't have to keep 'em too close but want to make sure ya not in any danger. I'm sure ya fine here obviously given present company but what with everything going on, better safe that sorry right?"

>>"In any case if ya plannin' on meetin' them, I'll let ya get back to ya evenin' and go let Von know the deal." the beholder comments and then nods to Corno and then the knight "Nice meetin' ya... uh sorry, didn't catch ya name." waiting to see if either of them has anything more to say before making ready to leave and head to the inn where the beholder told Von they'd leave a message.

For the first time since any of you have met him, Corno becomes pissed.

He snatches you by an eyestalk, and his grip is stronger than you might expect. "Shut your fat mouth and if you can't open your ears, learn to read lips, eyeball."

"I don't care if you have an appointment with the Dark Lord Sauron at the Crack of Your rear end. I'm. Going. First. Thing. Tell Von it's first thing. If you don't trust Von, Rozalin will accompany me."

He shoves you, just enough for you to float backwards half a foot. "After that, we'll all enjoy a pleasant luncheon and discuss a certain murder, which I think we can all agree is slightly more important than a certain vacation."

Then he adjusts his robes and takes a seat. "Vampires are real. Dracula? No."

Facebook Aunt posted:

>>Baker looks around. I guess I should go find my team. Except I don't know where they are. And I don't want to wander the streets alone in the dark right now. I should really check the library. Yeah, that's the ticket.

>>She goes to look up vampires, especially any that can turn into floating glowy bits. Obviously looks up protection from vampires. And since it's the mage's guild magical protection from vampires -- there might be a charm or a spell that can repel or hurt vampires. Maybe a protection from being charmed charm, that would be handy.

:rolldice: ... 11
The inquisitors were right, there's more than one kind of vampire, and most protections only help against one specific kind.

You're gonna have to do more research or try to get in good with some god that protects against undead, or something.

The library is well stocked and huge, and it could well hold the secrets you need... but it's loving huge and it may be hard to find what you're looking for.

clockwork chaos posted:

>> Once that fuckin' meatball heads outta the fancy-rear end place, Rozalin slinks back to the booth, sitting beside her 'papa' and sighs. Bein' a noble is hard fuckin work!

>> "oyo da', s'wha's ya 'pinion 'bou' alla this? i am sorry fer comin' in all loud an shi', by th'way - didn'a mean t'gently caress up nothin'. I really will pu' alla my effort inta 'vengin' ya - s'leas' I coul' do."
Quietly, to Corno she whispers, "o' yah, did i eva tell ya i's wunna them offshoo' offsprings? dime a dozen 'alf-noble, born from a mistress an'a noble an' cast out t'th' mean stree'sa Carrine, jus' like in a buncha y'books. gonna fin' th' bastard an' I dunno, squeeze 'em for cash? reinstate m'noble title? wot d'ya'think?"

"Maybe. I'm certain we can figure out the root of the family tree. We'll talk about it when we consider :airquote:Vlad:airquote: tomorrow."

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

For the first time since any of you have met him, Corno becomes pissed.

He snatches you by an eyestalk, and his grip is stronger than you might expect. "Shut your fat mouth and if you can't open your ears, learn to read lips, eyeball."

"I don't care if you have an appointment with the Dark Lord Sauron at the Crack of Your rear end. I'm. Going. First. Thing. Tell Von it's first thing. If you don't trust Von, Rozalin will accompany me."

He shoves you, just enough for you to float backwards half a foot. "After that, we'll all enjoy a pleasant luncheon and discuss a certain murder, which I think we can all agree is slightly more important than a certain vacation."

Then he adjusts his robes and takes a seat. "Vampires are real. Dracula? No."

>>Marlowe growls "First, grab me like that again and we got a problem pal." staring at Corno in a manner that makes it certain that the beholder isn't joking. "I ain't the one that ignored ya for months and it ain't like ya came to me for help or even bothered ta talk to me at all yet I'm still tryin' to help so I'd appreciate it if ya mind ya manners Corno." before instantly regaining a more calm demeanor and continuing. "Second, yeah well you might not care but the city does, unless you want us getting stopped and held up from investigating anything at all then it'd be better if I put in an appearance... take Roz, do what ya like - I'm not ya baby sitter. Just figured ya might need one given ya current strike rate on staying alive on ya own."

>>"As to the vampire, whatever - I know what I and the others saw. If it weren't Dracula then it was a drat good impersonator, I'll say that. If we're done here I'll go set ya up this meetin'." The eyeball continues to watch carefully. If anyone attempts to grab it again at this point they're most certainly getting blasted - beholders aren't that stable.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

>>Ugh this is going to take forever. But maybe when the guildmaster comes back she'll have some insights. Probably be an anti-vampire memo all over the guild by noon. Yeah, that's the ticket.

>>Baker heads out to find the group. They are in the noble's quarter and not exactly hard to miss. This time of night they can only be in a pub. Yeah, there's only a few likely spots.

soon

>>"Hey guys, there you are. How would you like to join the inquisition?" She grins. "We can help with the vampire investigation, and as a perk we get kinda deputized into the Inquisition, which is huge. But on the downside we'd be committed to the vampire investigation, we can't just gently caress off and do what we want. Personally I'm pretty torn. There's an angry vampire who may blame me, Naem and Marlowe for their recent misfortune and I'd rather not have to look over my shoulder for the rest of my life, so getting him dead would be good. But on the other hand maybe we can just run away and they'll kill the vampire without us. I dunno, what do you guys think?"

naem
May 29, 2011

“Crossboo!!” Naem pats his crossboo

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Tog is kinda pissed that he didn't make it through the portal, because now he has to retcon stuff and then walk across town. He arrives at the noble tavern in a slightly grumpy mood.

"Tog not sure if he want to join In-quis-it-ion, but at da very least it prolly good idea for us ta hunt down dis vampire before he come eat dat people dat mess with him."

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

>>Marlowe has said their piece, for now, so with the quickness they'll use smoke form beam on themself and exit the fancy establishment to go leave a message with Von. After leaving the place they stop outside to join the others just in time to hear Baker and Tog talk and to add their own two copper's worth.

>>"'I'll talk to them at the Temple of Justice but here's what I was thinking... we try and get a deal with the Inquisition to help but don't join 'em. They sound like they might cramp our style but it's worth being owed a favour or two and they might even be able to give us some kinda writ or something to help us avoid trouble with the local Inquisition chapters in future. Not sure if we need to even hunt the vampire - just be prepared for him to come after us? Whaddya think? Anyway, early start tomorrow... ha. No rest for the wicked though, I gotta keep movin'."

>>They'll wait long enough for the others to reply and then head off to go about their business - in this case using detective skills to document the vampire incident in detail and anticipate the questions they'll be asked to speed the process. Downing a coffee as they do so to keep them awake. After that it's on to leave a message for Von.

>>Now here it gets a bit curly because they feel the need to teach their, in Marlowe's opinion, rude client that there are boundaries to be respected. As a result they'll estimate the amount of time it'll take to go through the sped up process of dealing with the Temple of Justice and for them to reach the place of the meet. They'll organize for it to take place ten minutes later than that time rather than first thing because: (1) so far they haven't got a dime from this job, (2) Corno needs to learn that you don't go around grabbing people by the eyeballs when they make reasonable and helpful suggestions, especially after bringing information the employer wasn't even aware of and finally a big fat healthy dose of (3) clients who act like that to their employees? gently caress 'em. Marlowe can kinda see why the guy got himself shanked by their former employee if that's the way they carried on in life.

>>This also leaves them the rest of the night to work on whatever it is they've been doing, even if it means turning up a bit bleary eyed and with their whole body shot through with leperous grey looking streaks as if their entire form was bloodshot. They don't like pulling all nighters - the risk is more than just fatigue given that it'll mean vivid dreams and nightmares when it's finally time to rest (a thing that can be quite hazardous and potentially reality altering in the case of a :bederper: ) - but sometimes you just gotta do what ya gotta do to move the various cases they're on forwards.

Stoner Sloth fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 14, 2021

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

>> Rozalin plans to stick with Corno until it's time to turn in or head back to the wagon or whatever - sitting mostly quiet while he and the fishknight banter and finish their chat.

>> In her mind however, she's imagining what it'd be like being an actual factual noble. Treasures! Cigars! Women! The biggest bestest weapons to use to smash the hell outta whoever stands in her way! Most of all, you get to look
Classy
as
gently caress.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Stoner Sloth posted:

>>Marlowe growls "First, grab me like that again and we got a problem pal." staring at Corno in a manner that makes it certain that the beholder isn't joking. "I ain't the one that ignored ya for months and it ain't like ya came to me for help or even bothered ta talk to me at all yet I'm still tryin' to help so I'd appreciate it if ya mind ya manners Corno." before instantly regaining a more calm demeanor and continuing. "Second, yeah well you might not care but the city does, unless you want us getting stopped and held up from investigating anything at all then it'd be better if I put in an appearance... take Roz, do what ya like - I'm not ya baby sitter. Just figured ya might need one given ya current strike rate on staying alive on ya own."

>>"As to the vampire, whatever - I know what I and the others saw. If it weren't Dracula then it was a drat good impersonator, I'll say that. If we're done here I'll go set ya up this meetin'." The eyeball continues to watch carefully. If anyone attempts to grab it again at this point they're most certainly getting blasted - beholders aren't that stable.

Corno's hand drops to his waist. His duelin' hand. And it's the side of his waist he keeps his duelin' sword.

Stoner Sloth posted:

>>Marlowe has said their piece, for now, so with the quickness they'll use smoke form beam on themself and exit the fancy establishment to go leave a message with Von. After leaving the place they stop outside to join the others just in time to hear Baker and Tog talk and to add their own two copper's worth.

>>"'I'll talk to them at the Temple of Justice but here's what I was thinking... we try and get a deal with the Inquisition to help but don't join 'em. They sound like they might cramp our style but it's worth being owed a favour or two and they might even be able to give us some kinda writ or something to help us avoid trouble with the local Inquisition chapters in future. Not sure if we need to even hunt the vampire - just be prepared for him to come after us? Whaddya think? Anyway, early start tomorrow... ha. No rest for the wicked though, I gotta keep movin'."

>>They'll wait long enough for the others to reply and then head off to go about their business - in this case using detective skills to document the vampire incident in detail and anticipate the questions they'll be asked to speed the process. Downing a coffee as they do so to keep them awake. After that it's on to leave a message for Von.

>>Now here it gets a bit curly because they feel the need to teach their, in Marlowe's opinion, rude client that there are boundaries to be respected. As a result they'll estimate the amount of time it'll take to go through the sped up process of dealing with the Temple of Justice and for them to reach the place of the meet. They'll organize for it to take place ten minutes later than that time rather than first thing because: (1) so far they haven't got a dime from this job, (2) Corno needs to learn that you don't go around grabbing people by the eyeballs when they make reasonable and helpful suggestions, especially after bringing information the employer wasn't even aware of and finally a big fat healthy dose of (3) clients who act like that to their employees? gently caress 'em. Marlowe can kinda see why the guy got himself shanked by their former employee if that's the way they carried on in life.

>>This also leaves them the rest of the night to work on whatever it is they've been doing, even if it means turning up a bit bleary eyed and with their whole body shot through with leperous grey looking streaks as if their entire form was bloodshot. They don't like pulling all nighters - the risk is more than just fatigue given that it'll mean vivid dreams and nightmares when it's finally time to rest (a thing that can be quite hazardous and potentially reality altering in the case of a :bederper: ) - but sometimes you just gotta do what ya gotta do to move the various cases they're on forwards.

but you escape before he draws.

clockwork chaos posted:

>> Rozalin plans to stick with Corno until it's time to turn in or head back to the wagon or whatever - sitting mostly quiet while he and the fishknight banter and finish their chat.

>> In her mind however, she's imagining what it'd be like being an actual factual noble. Treasures! Cigars! Women! The biggest bestest weapons to use to smash the hell outta whoever stands in her way! Most of all, you get to look
Classy
as
gently caress.

Corno doesn't sleep since he died and is gonna be bullshitting around literally all night, so you can pretty much do what you want.

Tomorrow morning seems like:
Marlowe goes to talk to the guards
Cannius & Roz will go to meet Von

You guys can also go with Marlowe and the inquisitors will be happy to talk to you about what the duties and whatever if you want to help with the investigation, or you can go with Corno and I guess babysit him, or you can do whatever else. Just break it down on who's going to be where tomorrow morning.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
>>Ighty has been wronged by Dracula before and it's time somebody was expected to care about it! He's gonna go With Marlowe so he can make his voice heard about how he isn't happy and society needs to cater to him better!

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

reignofevil posted:

>>Ighty has been wronged by Dracula before and it's time somebody was expected to care about it! He's gonna go With Marlowe so he can make his voice heard about how he isn't happy and society needs to cater to him better!

>>Marlowe looks a bit spaced out and frazzled come the morning - having been absent most of the night - but seems happy enough for Ighty to accompany them and tell them about how society (and Dracula) has wronged them so cruelly!

>>Fortunately this should, hopefully, go smoothly as the detective has written down fairly extensive notes about the encounter and anticipated the kind of questions that they're likely to be asked. Just as well since it looks like they could use a nap. Ah well, strong black coffee and cigars will have to suffice for now.

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

>> Rozalin didn't realize that Corno, being an unliving gentleman, doesn't need to rest and yawns. She wants to stay nearby but also wants some sleep, eventually deciding that sleep is more important and Corno can handle himself until the morning. She'll sleep in the comfiest, cleanest bed that's free of charge (so probably the wagon in all honesty, and that only scores a 1/3 on her criteria)

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

>>Baker considers her options and then sticks with Roz. When an angry vampire might be after you, it's good to have a buddy who can be on fire. She'll head to the Corno meeting in the morning.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

>>Marlowe will bring along the sealed evil in a jar to the Temple, figuring the Inquisition will know what to do with it. They'll also make one very brief stop at a bird message sending place with Ighty, sending out a priority letter to parts unknown (to everyone else at least) and paying for it to be sent immediately with the meager cache of copper coins they have left.

>>Other than that they give Dr Night most of their attention, listening to his tales of the old days and various people/monsters/inanimate objects that have done him wrong in his long and storied life! The beholder will nod, ask him to explain things and try and get him talking about Dracula when appropriate just in case the old man knows a thing or two. You never know!

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Tog heads out with Marlowe, Inquisitors are church-adjacent, so maybe his presence there would be welcome.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

clockwork chaos posted:

>> Rozalin didn't realize that Corno, being an unliving gentleman, doesn't need to rest and yawns. She wants to stay nearby but also wants some sleep, eventually deciding that sleep is more important and Corno can handle himself until the morning. She'll sleep in the comfiest, cleanest bed that's free of charge (so probably the wagon in all honesty, and that only scores a 1/3 on her criteria)

Cannius still rents you a room in ye fancy taverne so you don't have to sleep in the street like a pauper.

------------

Alright so Marlowe, Tog, & Ighty head to the temple of justice. You talk to one of the clerks (of justice) who direct you to a deposition room (of justice). Eye Cop is there with his helmet (of justice) off and sitting on the table (it seems like a regular table), and he's got a silk band over his eyes (of justice), which are obviously blind.

The eye on his helmet looks at you guys. "The gently caress is that?" Mildew and Sulky are there as well, and they look pretty tired. "What's what?"
"The poo poo in that pot."

------------

Corno, Roz and Baker head to the meeting place. It's a low grade tavern in a not great part of town. Von is not here yet, so you get a table and wait.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

>>"Dunno, found it in the desert... some kinda evil entity. Was able to drive it back into the pot and seal it using anti-magic. Thought I'd bring it in to see if you good people knew how to make sure it doesn't get out or banish it. We're also here about Dracula... well at least a vampire calling himself that." the detective replies. "My name's Marlowe by the way, private investigator."

naem
May 29, 2011

https://youtube.com/shorts/rCd38TLS1mk?feature=share

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
"You're telling me a mage, a detective, and a paladin all have zero idea that you're traipsing through Xoma with dangerous contraband?"

"We're aware of your profession Mr Marlowe."

"Where exactly in the desert did you... discover... this entity? How long have you had it, precisely?"

----

Meanwhile Naem is loving off doing whatever, and it appears Von is going to take his sweet time. Cannius is not particularly enthused.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Corno, Roz and Baker head to the meeting place. It's a low grade tavern in a not great part of town. Von is not here yet, so you get a table and wait.

>>Baker shifts in her chair. Looks around. Rubs her nose. "Hey, sir, I don't think we got to talk much, I joined the group a few weeks ago. I spend a lot of time baking and you don't eat so, yeah, not a lot in common. Yep. What's with this guy? He sets up a meeting and then keeps you waiting. What a jerk. Or maybe he misunderstood first thing in the morning. Maybe he's a nightowl who gets up at the crack of noon. Had a lot of that sort of mistake myself when I was younger, as bakers the work day starts a few hours before dawn, and most people consider our idea of "first thing in the morning" completely bonkers. I'm sure it won't be long."

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

Cannius still rents you a room in ye fancy taverne so you don't have to sleep in the street like a pauper.

>> Oh hell yeah, sleeping in an actual loving bed has done wonders for Rozalin's disposition, even if they're having to wait. Just another meeting, she assumes, but this time she gets to take part! As a noble!! Or atleast that's her line of thinking.

>> Her daydreams of Classy!Rozalin are getting more prominent, all she hasta do is stay on Corno's good side and then she can be on easy street, livin' life and doing whatever the hell she wants, when she wants!!

naem
May 29, 2011

"You're telling me a mage, a detective, and a paladin all have zero idea that you're traipsing through Xoma with dangerous contraband?"

"Where exactly in the desert did you... discover... this entity? How long have you had it, precisely?"

----

Meanwhile Naem is loving off doing whatever, and it appears Von is going to take his sweet time. Cannius is not particularly enthused.

(was busy today sorry!) Naem has been following along the detective group humming the mission impossible theme song under his breath pretending to stealth, since all archers are supposed to stealth, even though he is an armored dwarf

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Facebook Aunt posted:

>>Baker shifts in her chair. Looks around. Rubs her nose. "Hey, sir, I don't think we got to talk much, I joined the group a few weeks ago. I spend a lot of time baking and you don't eat so, yeah, not a lot in common. Yep. What's with this guy? He sets up a meeting and then keeps you waiting. What a jerk. Or maybe he misunderstood first thing in the morning. Maybe he's a nightowl who gets up at the crack of noon. Had a lot of that sort of mistake myself when I was younger, as bakers the work day starts a few hours before dawn, and most people consider our idea of "first thing in the morning" completely bonkers. I'm sure it won't be long."

The door opens and four tough customers come in. In fact, you've seen most of them before.

Skill's good. Like the other two you can put spells in the book as well as use it to prove you're in the guild. On your way out you happen to perceive with your perception a trio of people headed into the mages'. It's an elf and a pair of dragonfolk and they're talking about the pros and cons of buying magic cloaks, one is trying to convince the two skeptics what a good idea it is. The only reason they stand out is because they're loving strapped. The elf's probably a bounty hunter.

"Mister Corno, I presume?"
The bounty hunter is the mysterious Von. He doesn't seem to be the boss, either. Seems like only one of them bought a cloak after all.

clockwork chaos posted:

>> Oh hell yeah, sleeping in an actual loving bed has done wonders for Rozalin's disposition, even if they're having to wait. Just another meeting, she assumes, but this time she gets to take part! As a noble!! Or atleast that's her line of thinking.

>> Her daydreams of Classy!Rozalin are getting more prominent, all she hasta do is stay on Corno's good side and then she can be on easy street, livin' life and doing whatever the hell she wants, when she wants!!

The boss nods to you and Baker, and introduces herself to Corno as Diot Vail. She's seemingly a regular soldier, not a noblewoman, but almost certainly a veteran.
"Earlier than expected, sir. Thank you for coming."
Corno's a little confused by this, and she explains she came here early herself. The detective set this up for later in the morning -- she would have been happy to have shown up much earlier if it would have been a better time.

------------------

naem posted:

(was busy today sorry!) Naem has been following along the detective group humming the mission impossible theme song under his breath pretending to stealth, since all archers are supposed to stealth, even though he is an armored dwarf

nah it's fine.
"Yes, Naem Jr, or Naem son of Naem. Surely a trained archeologist would be able to recognize this?"

Mildew begins to describe the nature of Gǔ-poison. It's an old, old technique used to create dangerous spirits and command them to do their owner's bidding. It involves trapping various deadly creatures and forcing them to devour each other, and with each one the poison becomes stronger and stronger, until the surviving creature begins to change.
Sulky scoffs and absolutely doesn't believe in the possibility of it. So Mildew opens the pot a little.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw1JBBGECsE

A tendril of evil vapor seeps out and Eye Cop immediately slams the lid shut and takes it away. "Alright you four. Spill it. How'd you get involved with this? This is how you've been doing the murders isn't it!? Confess now! Make it easy on yourselves."

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

>>"Can't say exactly where we found it, maps aren't my forte... it was on the way back from where we slew a dangerous monster - a two headed snake - that had been attacking caravans. Brought it in as soon as I knew where to bring it, and we passed through customs who scanned us. I'm sorry if that was the wrong procedure but we simply weren't informed of that. Perhaps a failing by the guards? I don't want to get them into trouble of course."

quote:

"Yes, Naem Jr, or Naem son of Naem. Surely a trained archeologist would be able to recognize this?"

Mildew begins to describe the nature of Gǔ-poison. It's an old, old technique used to create dangerous spirits and command them to do their owner's bidding. It involves trapping various deadly creatures and forcing them to devour each other, and with each one the poison becomes stronger and stronger, until the surviving creature begins to change.
Sulky scoffs and absolutely doesn't believe in the possibility of it. So Mildew opens the pot a little.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw1JBBGECsE

A tendril of evil vapor seeps out and Eye Cop immediately slams the lid shut and takes it away. "Alright you four. Spill it. How'd you get involved with this? This is how you've been doing the murders isn't it!? Confess now! Make it easy on yourselves."

>>"He's an apprentice archaeologist, not some kind of expert. Not sure what murders you're talking about but we haven't committed any crimes, save perhaps not knowing your customs procedures when they were never explained to us. We're here to deal with matter of the vampire we stopped from killing one of your citizens and I thought that this is something that the Inquistion would be able to deal with."

>>The detective gets a little more annoyed as they add "And frankly I'm a little offended by your implication that I'd deal with spirits or demons, beholders may be a lot of things but we HATE such creatures more than even your Inquisition does. In fact there should be a record of a demon we encountered elsewhere recently that with my and the paladin's assistance was able to be destroyed. Seems Xoma is infested with the things so you should be thanking, and hell rewarding, us for removing a threat that any passing traveler could have found and released! And that's before we even get to the vampire we uncovered roaming your streets that we helped drive off.". The beholder attempts to use their best detective skills to turn all this in their favour, they know the drill and that these folk are just trying to shift the buck for their own incompetence when they should be kissing the ground that Marlowe floats over.

Stoner Sloth fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Apr 16, 2021

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Tog clears his throat as he takes up his holy symbol in both hands.

"If Tog ever kill someone dat not deserve it, or if he ever deal with demons, of if he ever try to make evil spirts, den may da Troll King hit me real hard wit da first club."

He looks up at the roof and waits.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
>>'And I Dracula cuts in front of the line for coffee! At night! When I do my moonmancy and need my coffee the most!' Ighty helpfully contributes to the justice league.

naem
May 29, 2011

reignofevil posted:

>>'And I Dracula cuts in front of the line for coffee! At night! When I do my moonmancy and need my coffee the most!' Ighty helpfully contributes to the justice league.

“Dracula??” Naem points the crossbow and swivels his head in various directions

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The door opens and four tough customers come in. In fact, you've seen most of them before.

"Mister Corno, I presume?"
The bounty hunter is the mysterious Von. He doesn't seem to be the boss, either. Seems like only one of them bought a cloak after all.

The boss nods to you and Baker, and introduces herself to Corno as Diot Vail. She's seemingly a regular soldier, not a noblewoman, but almost certainly a veteran.
"Earlier than expected, sir. Thank you for coming."
Corno's a little confused by this, and she explains she came here early herself. The detective set this up for later in the morning -- she would have been happy to have shown up much earlier if it would have been a better time.

>>"Oh well, the beholder isn't very good with time, ha ha. He's an odd one. Good in a fight though."

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

Facebook Aunt posted:

>>"Oh well, the beholder isn't very good with time, ha ha. He's an odd one. Good in a fight though."

>> "barely even good then, might I add? the lout 'as-- ahem has gotten us into more scrapes than out, mostly 'cuza tha' fa' bleedin' mout'." Rozalin says, doing her best not to let her accent bleed through, and failing. She also tries to stay stoic and quiet, letting their aura and demeanor do most of the talking, also failing.
She lets Corno and their boss talk while she casually chats with the dragon-peoples, "name's Rozalin, mighta 'earda me - tryna get me name ou' there, ya know 'ow it is an' s'even 'arder fer a 'alf-blood - so wha's all this abou'? book signin'? noble duel? did ol' da' no' pay 'is publisha?"

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Hipster Occultist posted:

Tog clears his throat as he takes up his holy symbol in both hands.

"If Tog ever kill someone dat not deserve it, or if he ever deal with demons, of if he ever try to make evil spirts, den may da Troll King hit me real hard wit da first club."

He looks up at the roof and waits.

Rolling piety ...12. And you crit fail.
There's a sound of thunder.
TOG ME BUSY, STOP WITH CHICKENSHIT OATHS

The inquisitors are very disturbed by this, and Eye Cop makes a gesture of propitiation.

Stoner Sloth posted:

>>"Can't say exactly where we found it, maps aren't my forte... it was on the way back from where we slew a dangerous monster - a two headed snake - that had been attacking caravans. Brought it in as soon as I knew where to bring it, and we passed through customs who scanned us. I'm sorry if that was the wrong procedure but we simply weren't informed of that. Perhaps a failing by the guards? I don't want to get them into trouble of course."

>>"He's an apprentice archaeologist, not some kind of expert. Not sure what murders you're talking about but we haven't committed any crimes, save perhaps not knowing your customs procedures when they were never explained to us. We're here to deal with matter of the vampire we stopped from killing one of your citizens and I thought that this is something that the Inquistion would be able to deal with."

>>The detective gets a little more annoyed as they add "And frankly I'm a little offended by your implication that I'd deal with spirits or demons, beholders may be a lot of things but we HATE such creatures more than even your Inquisition does. In fact there should be a record of a demon we encountered elsewhere recently that with my and the paladin's assistance was able to be destroyed. Seems Xoma is infested with the things so you should be thanking, and hell rewarding, us for removing a threat that any passing traveler could have found and released! And that's before we even get to the vampire we uncovered roaming your streets that we helped drive off.". The beholder attempts to use their best detective skills to turn all this in their favour, they know the drill and that these folk are just trying to shift the buck for their own incompetence when they should be kissing the ground that Marlowe floats over.

:rolldice: -27
This line of reasoning doesn't go over particularly well. These are people who've dedicated and risked their whole lives and even souls protecting Xoma from bad poo poo, and your implications are mega insulting. But, out of an abundance of respect for the Troll King, they remain civil. Also iirc Tog did get a banishing stone as a reward for that demon situation.

naem posted:

“Dracula??” Naem points the crossbow and swivels his head in various directions

"Ok so he is in fact an apprentice. Maybe the story adds up."

reignofevil posted:

They want to know how you've come to the conclusion that it is in fact the Dracula instead of any other vampire.

---------------------

Facebook Aunt posted:

clockwork chaos posted:

>> "barely even good then, might I add? the lout 'as-- ahem has gotten us into more scrapes than out, mostly 'cuza tha' fa' bleedin' mout'." Rozalin says, doing her best not to let her accent bleed through, and failing. She also tries to stay stoic and quiet, letting their aura and demeanor do most of the talking, also failing.

"I see," Vail replies. "Well in any case, we have a few questions about the Archeologists' Guild expedition to Barataria..."

quote:

She lets Corno and their boss talk while she casually chats with the dragon-peoples, "name's Rozalin, mighta 'earda me - tryna get me name ou' there, ya know 'ow it is an' s'even 'arder fer a 'alf-blood - so wha's all this abou'? book signin'? noble duel? did ol' da' no' pay 'is publisha?"

Rachna & Misha are happy to talk to Roz, even if her reputation does not proceed her. They seem like soldiers too, but Rachna does have a fancier cloak and seems pretty stylish. She mentions that Corno has a reputation for his books, but in some circles for being able to get poo poo done. Rumor has it he spent his early years doing actual no-poo poo adventuring himself, and he pays attention. Got an eye for talent. Misha asks what the deal with Baker is. Seeing as she has multiple daggers.

Von doesn't particularly engage. He's mostly just looking tough, gonna let the ladies and (literal) gentleman do the talking.

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

>> Roz side-eyes Baker, "Baker's deal? she makes th' bes' fuckin' swee's 've eve' tasted. an' 'er dinne' s'lection is bloody fuckin' inspired, 've seen 'er turn monste' gible's int' three course meal tha' make even Big Yum swea', i 'ave.

>> "She's our newes' recrui', an' she puts alotta th' others t'shame. bu' tha' s'okay, cuz we all go' our niche, like me f'example! i gots brawn an' beau'y, so's i surround meself with a buncha ugly-rear end egghead nonces to balance th'scales f'me an' Baker.
nice cape, by th' way - I do lotta flips an' poo poo so i don't wear much loose-fittin' clothin' - i'm like, real athletic an' poo poo.
ya mentione' Baker's dagge's but if'n ya wanna talk shop I got some big weapons I like t'use. Ya should see this beau' i rescued from th' weapon shop, real nice axe, an' I got a grea' 'ammer f'smashin' stuff too - 'ow 'bout y'all?"

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

clockwork chaos posted:

>> Roz side-eyes Baker, "Baker's deal? she makes th' bes' fuckin' swee's 've eve' tasted. an' 'er dinne' s'lection is bloody fuckin' inspired, 've seen 'er turn monste' gible's int' three course meal tha' make even Big Yum swea', i 'ave.

>> "She's our newes' recrui', an' she puts alotta th' others t'shame. bu' tha' s'okay, cuz we all go' our niche, like me f'example! i gots brawn an' beau'y, so's i surround meself with a buncha ugly-rear end egghead nonces to balance th'scales f'me an' Baker.
nice cape, by th' way - I do lotta flips an' poo poo so i don't wear much loose-fittin' clothin' - i'm like, real athletic an' poo poo.
ya mentione' Baker's dagge's but if'n ya wanna talk shop I got some big weapons I like t'use. Ya should see this beau' i rescued from th' weapon shop, real nice axe, an' I got a grea' 'ammer f'smashin' stuff too - 'ow 'bout y'all?"

>>Baker joins in because she has nothing at all to contribute to discussion of the archaeological expedition she didn't go on. "Funny story, I forgot to bring any weapons on the trip. I mean I brought a frying pan and a rolling pin which are both solid in a pinch, but not single use weapons. While we were out I tried a mace, a dagger, a short bow, a crossbow, a bunch of stuff. These metal fangs just felt right, you know? Good in tight spaces, don't need room for big swings. And if an enemy if farther away you can throw them. But then you need extras, you can't throw your dagger if you just have one. I may have gone a little overboard." Holding up the old bandit dagger, "This one I got off a bandit we caught spying on us, it was my first dagger." Holding up a shiny new one, " This one I threw at a guy and hit him right in the spine it was great. Except he turned out to be a vampire so it didn't hurt him." Baker gasps and brings her hand to her mouth, "Oops I wasn't supposed to say anything about the vampire. I guess the inquisition is trying to avoid a public panic so, uh, don't spread the story around, okay? Be careful at night though, there's a vampire in town."

"Anyway, daggers are great. I've got a bunch of them and they are still way lighter than Roz's mace. If I want to climb up a wall or something they don't slow me down at all. Not that the mace slows down Roz, she's super strong."

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

Rolling piety ...12. And you crit fail.
There's a sound of thunder.
TOG ME BUSY, STOP WITH CHICKENSHIT OATHS

The inquisitors are very disturbed by this, and Eye Cop makes a gesture of propitiation.

:rolldice: -27
This line of reasoning doesn't go over particularly well. These are people who've dedicated and risked their whole lives and even souls protecting Xoma from bad poo poo, and your implications are mega insulting. But, out of an abundance of respect for the Troll King, they remain civil. Also iirc Tog did get a banishing stone as a reward for that demon situation.

"Ok so he is in fact an apprentice. Maybe the story adds up."

They want to know how you've come to the conclusion that it is in fact the Dracula instead of any other vampire.

>>Marlowe points out calmly and slowly, as if the inspectors were a little simple "Look, ya wanted us to what? Hand that thing over to a gate guard? Even after I told ya what it was, even being a trained professional... ya opened it to check, didn't ya?" they pause to see if the Eye Cop and co are following this so far "Now if I'd done as ya suggest then whatever that thing is, it woulda been unleashed by the person checkin' it. People would be dead now and that thing'd be loose."

>>The beholder gives that a moment to sink in and then adds "And also if we were somehow sinisterly usin' this thing as you flat out accused us, then why would we decide to march in with it openly carried and tell ya about it? Makes no sense whatsoever.". They finish this line of arguing, not trying to insult the authorities - just a little frustrated with them accusing the detective of murder randomly.

>>"As for the vampire, well...." and the beholder proceeds to describe the creature's appearance and how closely it matches the fearsome, legendary fiend - enough that we were told it was The Dracula on sight! :P

>>They finish up with "Look, we told ya that we can't be certain it was Dracula... but it was definitely a vampire lookin' like how he's supposed to look. And the main point is that we stopped a drat vampire murderin' someone. No offense but I kinda think we should get a little credit for that."

Stoner Sloth fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 17, 2021

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

>>"Also the vampire was able to turn themself into a cloud of glittering mist and then a single spark... and were able to resist powerful antimagic while doing it, strong enough to automatically shut down most supernatural powers or spells. And resist a blast of holy magic right to the face, mighta scarred them up a bit at least." they add.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Tog makes a mental note, pay a poet to come up with better sounding oaths.

"So look, Tog not dere so Tog not know if dis vamp really Dracula or not. What Tog pretty sure of is dat he got lotta bad mojo, and dat he prolly goona do some bad stuff to good people. Tog want to help, and so do Tog's fellow adventurers.

Tog not really sure wut dat stuff is in da Jar, Tog not remember dat too well. Tog know dat we not make it though, and if you got safe place to make it go away den please take it."