Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i think they're saying just in comparison to how the game looked on the ps1 which was like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
If you've been looking for an old school platformer, Kaze and the Wild Masks is a decent one. Apparently it's been out on consoles, but it's a recent release on Steam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fFry9TnXy8

It has tight controls, well designed levels and just a generally intuitive presentation with barely any time wasted explaining mechanics.

The steam reviews reference Donkey Kong Country a lot, but it pulls from the whole genre. The Kid Chameleon vibes is what got me.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Now that I've played Lust From Beyond I can say this is pretty much what I was looking for in a horror game. Not the sex part, but I've only seen stuff that would have been in about any Stuart Gordon movie so far, but in the fact that there aren't many monsters, you can avoid them by waiting and moving quietly. The puzzles have contextual clues, and the atmosphere is doing most of the spooky work.

For a unity game it looks really good, though its funny when you come across an asset they clearly bought, as a cop car is clearly an LAPD one and a payphone has German all over it. Its not really a big deal because why bother modeling things you can buy and save time?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Astrox Imperium is on sale. Reviews are calling it EVE Offline. Is it good? How's the gameplay loop?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
How in the literal hell did I sleep on Hades for so long? I'm playing on Switch, but it's a multi-platform game so this seems like the right thread to sing its praises and ask about it. The voice acting is delightful, the combat is tight, and I really enjoying how the narrative practically incentivizes the gameplay loop of dying over and over and over.

A few questions for anyone more experienced with the game; not so much "before I play" as "after I play and win 5 times":
-There's one entry left at the bottom of the "Others of Interest" list in the Codex, below Skelly. Where can I find this mystery person?
-It seems like gifting Nectar to characters in the House opens up other benefits besides the initial keepsakes. Do these benefits also extend to the friendly characters sometimes found during a run? Does it affect the quality of boons from the gods?
-One of the benefits I got from Achilles awakened the ___Aspect of Guan Yu for the spear____. I got another "awakening" benefit from advancing my relationship with ____Chaos____, so I'm guessing these are all tied to certain characters. Who do I talk to for the others?
-I have enough Darkness to max out one set of Mirror talents. What should I prioritize?
-How can I get the Skeletal Lure and Night Spindle to appear in Charon's Well?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Captain Walker posted:

-One of the benefits I got from Achilles awakened the ___Aspect of Guan Yu for the spear____. I got another "awakening" benefit from advancing my relationship with ____Chaos____, so I'm guessing these are all tied to certain characters. Who do I talk to for the others?

You can start awakening the others once you've invested 5 Titan Blood in them.

Sword: ____Nyx____
Bow: ___Artemis___
Fists: Asterius. You have to face him with the fists until he remarks upon them, then keep on fighting him with any weapon until he gives you the waking-phrase.
Rail: ____Zeus____

quote:

-How can I get the Skeletal Lure and Night Spindle to appear in Charon's Well?

For the Skeletal Lure, you first need to get Poseidon's legendary boon Huge Catch. Then it should be added to the Well's list. The Night Spindle requires you to have a special item called a Chthonic Companion, which you get from having a high bond with Megaera, Dusa, Thanatos, Skelly, Achilles, or Sisyphus.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 16, 2021

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Captain Walker posted:

-There's one entry left at the bottom of the "Others of Interest" list in the Codex, below Skelly. Where can I find this mystery person?

Keep escaping and you'll find out.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I got the ARPG itch after watching Diablo 2 Resurrected gameplay over the weekend. Does Path of Exile force a lot of cash shop business in your face since the game is free? I figured I would finally give it a shot with the new expansion today. If the menus look like a mobile cash shop game it'll turn me right off.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ragequit posted:

I got the ARPG itch after watching Diablo 2 Resurrected gameplay over the weekend. Does Path of Exile force a lot of cash shop business in your face since the game is free? I figured I would finally give it a shot with the new expansion today. If the menus look like a mobile cash shop game it'll turn me right off.

At least last I played any significant amount (mid-2019) it didn't surface the shop at all, except for the occasional button in the bottom corner of a couple menus.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

StrixNebulosa posted:

Astrox Imperium is on sale. Reviews are calling it EVE Offline. Is it good? How's the gameplay loop?

I too am curious. Any opinions?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I played a little Astrox. It's exactly EVE offline. If EVE Online gameplay pleases you but you wish there weren't other people around to complicate matters, it might work. It's a slow, thoughtful, rather pretty, hands-off space sim where you chug around and skill up slowly. Reminded me strongly of - EVE. Check some gameplay videos. There's not much to it but sometimes that's kinda what a person wants, I think.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Ragequit posted:

No, it's not like that. You can only buy cosmetics, and things like stash tabs. Once in a while, like every hour or so, if there's a big sale on in the MT shop they'll post a one-line notice in chat. Otherwise you can completely ignore the cash shop and be fine for hours and hours and hours. It's the least predatory FtP game I've seen.

That said don't try to play today, the queues are ridiculous.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

HopperUK posted:

I played a little Astrox. It's exactly EVE offline. If EVE Online gameplay pleases you but you wish there weren't other people around to complicate matters, it might work. It's a slow, thoughtful, rather pretty, hands-off space sim where you chug around and skill up slowly. Reminded me strongly of - EVE. Check some gameplay videos. There's not much to it but sometimes that's kinda what a person wants, I think.

Give me space mining and trucking sim, I'm all over it.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

if you really get into path of exile you will definitely want to spend some amount of money on stash space at some point. we are talking about like $30 after a hundred hours or something though.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

HopperUK posted:

I like this, but I've never played EVE, so anymore info about basic gameplay (from anyone) would be appreciated :shobon:

edit:

Mordja posted:

I'd hoped it was exactly what I thought it was and I wasn't disappointed.

:tipshat:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Awesome! posted:

if you really get into path of exile you will definitely want to spend some amount of money on stash space at some point. we are talking about like $30 after a hundred hours or something though.

Yeah, for sure, but you can be deep into the game before you want to do that and I think that's very solid. I usually buy a supporter pack every league, so every three months or so, because I get ridiculous hours out of the game and I enjoy cosmetics.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Morter posted:

I like this, but I've never played EVE, so anymore info about basic gameplay (from anyone) would be appreciated :shobon:

edit:

:tipshat:

So you fly your ship indirectly, I think, you have a third-person view of it and you click on the thing you want it to go to and it goes there. You can truck stuff around and you have skills that you set to 'train' so they climb while you're doing other things. The game world is split into systems with jump gates between - I remember liking the lore but I don't remember anything about it. Sorry! I'm sure someone here has played more recently than me. It's very chill.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Captain Walker posted:

How in the literal hell did I sleep on Hades for so long? I'm playing on Switch, but it's a multi-platform game so this seems like the right thread to sing its praises and ask about it. The voice acting is delightful, the combat is tight, and I really enjoying how the narrative practically incentivizes the gameplay loop of dying over and over and over.

It’s a bit less lively now, but there’s a thread for Hades here too which I’m sure would be happy to talk about it still!:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3907268&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=347

This is a pretty good mirror to shoot for in general if you want a rough idea of what is good:

E: also yes it’s an amazing game. I played it way back in early EA and it didn’t really hook me coming off dead cells, but by the time the full release was out it just came together in the best possible way. One of my favorite games recently.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Ragequit posted:

Kinda. Path of Exile doesn't push you to use the cash shop, but it's up in your face about it existing.

The entire game is designed with the cash shop in mind. Skills, equipment, crafting and currencies (plural) is so overly complicated that the game by necessity has a huge loot table. This way it might generate something you're looking for. It expects you to store a lot of it. The time-to-kill for your average monster is the blink of an eye once you get going. You'll be wading through ridiculous amount of trash loot and "maybe I should keep this for later"-loot. As you might imagine, they sell more storage space.

The less cynical take on this is that when you need more space, it'll be because you played a lot. It makes sense to pay for playing a lot, right?

The other part, which probably won't bother most people as much as a solo player like me, is any time you go into town you see a bunch of random people in tacky cosmetics. You know, just to remind you that the cosmetics shop exists.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Donnerberg posted:

Kinda. Path of Exile doesn't push you to use the cash shop, but it's up in your face about it existing.

The entire game is designed with the cash shop in mind. Skills, equipment, crafting and currencies (plural) is so overly complicated that the game by necessity has a huge loot table. This way it might generate something you're looking for. It expects you to store a lot of it. The time-to-kill for your average monster is the blink of an eye once you get going. You'll be wading through ridiculous amount of trash loot and "maybe I should keep this for later"-loot. As you might imagine, they sell more storage space.

The less cynical take on this is that when you need more space, it'll be because you played a lot. It makes sense to pay for playing a lot, right?

The other part, which probably won't bother most people as much as a solo player like me, is any time you go into town you see a bunch of random people in tacky cosmetics. You know, just to remind you that the cosmetics shop exists.

Yeah that's a really bizarre way to look at that, honestly and the game is nothing like that.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Cowcaster posted:

i think they're saying just in comparison to how the game looked on the ps1 which was like this

It looks like rear end in both incarnations. Nobody's playing this for the graphics.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I appreciate the Path of Exile information. I'll definitely give it a try. But not today, as mentioned. I saw a guy on Twitch that was 40,000th in line, lmao.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Any weird issues or bugs come up with the Shadow Man remaster? Probably gonna grab it because I'm not seeing any complaints in the reviews.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I kept trying to get into Path of Exile but it didn't grab me. I will certainly give POE2 a try when it gets released.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Did the latest league just start for PoE? Is that why there is a massive line.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Yes, a couple of hours ago, and also it's not going well.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

twistedmentat posted:

I kept trying to get into Path of Exile but it didn't grab me. I will certainly give POE2 a try when it gets released.

It's called "Deadfire" and as a bonus it won't give you RSI :v:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Did the latest league just start for PoE? Is that why there is a massive line.

Yeah though it's cleared up now, intermittently, sometimes, for some people. It's always a trashfire the first day or so.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

since secretclub called valve out for ignoring security flaws, even more researchers have spoken up with the same story

https://twitter.com/killa/status/1383181144359895048

https://twitter.com/chirun02/status/1383187889580871683

you hate to see it

repiv fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 17, 2021

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Antigravitas posted:

It's called "Deadfire" and as a bonus it won't give you RSI :v:

Pillars of Eternity 2 is on Gamepass and ive been thinking of skipping 1 because again, i couldn't get into it. It was a bit slow at the start. I had the same issue with Tides of Numeriua.

Oh I was talking about Path of Exile 1 in the origonal post, and I was saying when Path of exile 2 comes out I'll give it a try.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
PoE1 is a bit of a slow start but once it gets going (generally, when you have the stronghold and a full party) it’s really, really good. 2 is strictly an improvement but 1 is fantastic as well. Probably worth giving it one more shot because going back after playing 2 with the QoL improvements is... difficult.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Donnerberg posted:

Storage tabs are permanent and pretty cheap. The only money I've ever spent on the game is for storage tab bundles (when they're on sale), maybe one pack per league if they introduce a new type, and I have 18 tabs and don't even play every league.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I bought some 15$ stash bundle for PoE years ago and it was useful and also all I needed for the three leagues I played. Never bothered with cosmetics because the graphics are kinda dated and with my builds the screen was almost entirely on fire or I was teleporting 3 times a second so I couldn’t really see poo poo anyways.

It’s the least obnoxious F2P monetization I’ve seen but there’s not a lot of competition for that spot anyways :v:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

Pillars of Eternity 2 is on Gamepass and ive been thinking of skipping 1 because again, i couldn't get into it. It was a bit slow at the start. I had the same issue with Tides of Numeriua.

Oh I was talking about Path of Exile 1 in the origonal post, and I was saying when Path of exile 2 comes out I'll give it a try.

When I replayed Pillars 1 I'd usually run through the main quest pretty fast, picking up the NPCs along the way and get to a point where I had both a full roster and decent equipment. It made the early game go by so much faster because combat was less of a hassle once you get a party organized.

The very first "dungeon" you run into in the village is designed to punish you for not mastering the game mechanics with an incomplete party at low level, so trying to brute force your way through it for the little bit of lore isn't worth it. Same for fighting Lord Raedric, he's supposed to be a early, very difficult optional boss, but you can steamroll him easily later with a full party and using choke-points. Everything in pursuit of getting to the main city is much easier in general and you level pretty fast anyways from the quest xp.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 17, 2021

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Those of you looking to play Timesplitters 2, Homefront: The Revolution everything bundle is on sale here: https://uk.gamesplanet.com/game/homefront-the-revolution-freedom-fighter-bundle-steam-key--2983-2

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

fappenmeister posted:

Those of you looking to play Timesplitters 2, Homefront: The Revolution everything bundle is on sale here: https://uk.gamesplanet.com/game/homefront-the-revolution-freedom-fighter-bundle-steam-key--2983-2

Homefront The Revolution is also pretty fun in and of itself.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Homefront The Revolution is better than it should be but the main campaign is still a series of open world maps with open world map tasks with a silent protagonist.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

pentyne posted:

When I replayed Pillars 1 I'd usually run through the main quest pretty fast, picking up the NPCs along the way and get to a point where I had both a full roster and decent equipment. It made the early game go by so much faster because combat was less of a hassle once you get a party organized.

The very first "dungeon" you run into in the village is designed to punish you for not mastering the game mechanics with an incomplete party at low level, so trying to brute force your way through it for the little bit of lore isn't worth it. Same for fighting Lord Raedric, he's supposed to be a early, very difficult optional boss, but you can steamroll him easily later with a full party and using choke-points. Everything in pursuit of getting to the main city is much easier in general and you level pretty fast anyways from the quest xp.

Hrm, maybe i will give it another go. I kind of had the same problem I had when I tried to replay KOTOR1 and 2 a few years ago, there's so much just running around early on and its not that engaging.

I don't mind talking RPGs, but its the running around these huge empty areas that gets me.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Kibayasu posted:

Homefront The Revolution is better than it should be but the main campaign is still a series of open world maps with open world map tasks with a silent protagonist.

Yeah it’s great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Kibayasu posted:

Trying to do a guerilla war game without an open world sounds like it would be pretty lovely.