Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Flapjack, in the british sense of oats bound together with butter and sugar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i have much to learn

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
yeah i definitely need to figure out better nutrition on longer rides, i really started running out of juice around 32-35 miles of my recent 51 mi ride

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

yeah i definitely need to figure out better nutrition on longer rides, i really started running out of juice around 32-35 miles of my recent 51 mi ride

Eat regularly even if you're not hungry. I recently did a (n imperial) century perfectly happily without stopping following "drink every 15 minutes, except every 45 minutes have a gel", for example. Definitely wasn't feeling thirsty after 15 minutes or hungry after 45, but if you wait until you feel it it's too late.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Flapjack, in the british sense of oats bound together with butter and sugar

You can add protein shake powder and it masks the taste if you want to make it a superfood.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

bicievino posted:

rice cakes

Onigiri is also certifiably the poo poo as long as you eat it early or make one that keeps well (I'm partial to red bean paste).

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
Feedzone Portables! I think they have some things that keep well over a day or so...or you could modify the recipes so yer not eatin' old meat.

Also...re: cycling caps.

I got my favorite cycling cap when I waltzed into a small Japan bike shop and bought their branded cap. It ruled.

So basically...see if there is some cool local shops doing their own caps!

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
That's true too.

Love this from my LBS:

https://shop.redbeardbikes.com/products/redbeard-doughnut-cap

And these socks:

https://shop.redbeardbikes.com/products/redbeard-aireator-sock

UncategorizedRacer
Nov 5, 2020

by Athanatos

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Eat regularly even if you're not hungry. I recently did a (n imperial) century perfectly happily without stopping following "drink every 15 minutes, except every 45 minutes have a gel", for example. Definitely wasn't feeling thirsty after 15 minutes or hungry after 45, but if you wait until you feel it it's too late.

An imperial century is just called a century and a metric century is actually called a bike ride.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

UncategorizedRacer posted:

An imperial century is just called a century and a metric century is actually called a bike ride.

I'm gonna go ride 100 meters and post it to Strava as a century ride just to piss some people off.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Having to ride 160km to do a century is punishment for living in a country that still uses a system of measurement that's mostly based on how long it takes draft animals to do things.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

EvilJoven posted:

Having to ride 160km to do a century is punishment for living in a country that still uses a system of measurement that's mostly based on how long it takes draft animals to do things.

The metric system was invented by cheese eating surrender monkeys :france:who wanted extra kudos on Strava, I will now ride a 100 furlongs and claim a century! :britain:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I was going to ride my bicycle on Saturday but it's going to be 37 F so I guess I'll ride my bicycle on Sunday, when it's 61 F.

UncategorizedRacer
Nov 5, 2020

by Athanatos

mikemelbrooks posted:

The metric system was invented by cheese eating surrender monkeys :france:who wanted extra kudos on Strava, I will now ride a 100 furlongs and claim a century! :britain:

I will probably kudo 100 miles. I will definitely kudo 99.9 miles.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I have two invites to ride tomorrow but for some reason both groups are starting in the morning when it's gonna be 1c out instead of sleeping in and riding in double digit temps in the afternoon.

At least one other person I pointed this out to in our group chat agreed that it's kinda dumb to waste the warmest part of the day so looks like at least two of us are going to sleep in and hit the road in the afternoon.

Gonna be nice. We went from several weeks of early spring with temps in the mid teens to a weird rear end weather system moving in and plopping down 20cm of heavy wet snow. It's mostly all gone but man what a week.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I'm still broken so I won't be riding anything for at least another week.

In other news the Evergiven has been impounded so those sweet sweet shimano components I need to repair my bike also remain out of reach.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Are there really that many bike parts on that one ship or is the industry just glad there’s an excuse now

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

:eyepop:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Pretty much

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

cebrail posted:

Are there really that many bike parts on that one ship or is the industry just glad there’s an excuse now

Both. The majority of the stuff was actually held up in just the traffic jam but theres definitely some containers on the Evergiven for the Shimano distributors in the UK. The current estimate is 2-6 weeks unless I want to pay nearly double for one of these shifters.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
The surprising thing for me has been that 7 speed threaded freewheels seem to have completely ran out. Not just Shimano but even some no name Chinese ones. In the nordics Shimano's estimate for more stock was something ridiculous like 70 months. They are still common on the very cheapest bikes but I didn't think the demand was so high.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Most of the bikes sold globally are either 7s freewheel or 8s cassette. Think about all the department store bikes, cruisers, cheap hybrids etc. Fancy road and mountain bikes are the exception not the norm.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

7 gears is plenty and i double shift my 11 speed bikes most of the time :smugdog:

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009

EvilJoven posted:

Most of the bikes sold globally are either 7s freewheel or 8s cassette. Think about all the department store bikes, cruisers, cheap hybrids etc. Fancy road and mountain bikes are the exception not the norm.

We fix tons of bikes with 8 speed cassettes but those are still in stock from sram, sunrace etc. just not Shimano. The 7 speed freewheel is less common than that here so it being one of the first things to be completely sold out for us was surprising.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
last night i rode my bike harder than i ever have before. p drat fun flying down an avenue, seeing the light change up ahead, and having no choice but to mash the pedals as hard as possible.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
That wouldn’t be like the flour and toilet roll thing would it “oh god what if civilisation collapses and I can’t fix my bike!” So all the weird and old stuff flys off the shelf first?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
117km of pavement and gravel behind me and now I'm going to eat everything.

Today was a good day for bikes.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Did a bike ride and a motorbike ride today. Feeling crispy.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Did LAC drill the frame? What if the answer is yes :ohdear:

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

kimbo305 posted:

Did LAC drill the frame? What if the answer is yes :ohdear:

I'm just buying components at the moment and I'll probably do it when I do the full build.

So far I'm getting:
- juin tech gt-f hybrid brakes
- jagwire elite brake cable set (or maybe nokon)
- ceramic speed bottom bracket (person I bought frame off has spare and is sending it to me)

Need:
- handlebars, 40cm or might go down to 38's
- new arione as mine is 15 years old
- downtube grommet, might 3d print it
- wheels and tyres

I was going to buy some schmolke SL 45's because they look baller but theyaren't tubeless. Tune is the other brand selling the Munich composite rims so that's an option. Winspace hypers look great but I'm put off by the amount of people saying they creak loads, especially as I'm just over the weight limit. Sent some emails to wheelbuilders in the UK but they're all old men in sheds who never loving reply.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Man I was on board with you being a weirdo about this, but you're bodging on loving mech hydro brakes to this thing?
Why not just put the loving FSA KPop Weeabo group on it if you're trying to troll us in the most expensive way possible?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
He should do whatever causes goons the most anxiety and grief because its only a bicycle at the end of the day.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

vikingstrike posted:

He should do whatever causes goons the most anxiety and grief because its only a bicycle at the end of the day.

I mean... I can't argue with this.

Hell, I endorse it!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

vikingstrike posted:

:hmmyes:

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

bicievino posted:

the loving FSA KPop Weeabo group

link please?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

meltie posted:

link please?

Same

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

vikingstrike posted:

:frogbon:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Making me feel better about my 15 year old hybrid which has never had a part replaced for sure.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience

meltie posted:

link please?

https://we-fsa.com/en/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

learnincurve posted:

Making me feel better about my 15 year old hybrid which has never had a part replaced for sure.

The only bad bike is the bike you don't like to ride.