Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
(with apologies to Hoover Dam)

Welcome to the 26th season of Major League Soccer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea6t_FCQ6Vc
(this is the most-viewed video on MLS' YouTube page)

Major League Soccer is the premier league for association football (henceforth referred to as "soccer") in the United States, and one of the premier leagues for soccer in Canada. Are you tired of watching the same old clubs win domestic leagues in Europe? Well look no further, as about half of MLS has a star above their crest! THAT'S parity competition!

You may be wondering, "what's the deal with the schedule?" Well, in an attempt to curb the potential spread of COVID-19, MLS has decided that the amount of inter-conference play should be limited to 2-3 total matches per club this season. Yeah, it sucks, I know, but it wasn't their preferred option.

Nationally, games are broadcast on ABC/ESPN, Fox/FS1, Univision/TUDN on your TV, with the Spanish-language games also being simulcast in English on Twitter. Out-of-market matches are on MLS Direct Kick or ESPN+, depending on who you want to give money to. There MIGHT be an All-Star Game between MLS and Liga MX being played in Los Angeles this year, but there is no date for it yet.

Going to a local soccer match is great, but now? During a pandemic? It's your funeral (especially if you're a Dallas or Orlando City supporter). Check with your local authorities and do some research to determine the risks involved, and for God's sake, get vaccinated first.

Other threads will be made (monthly MDTs, US Open Cup & Canadian Championship, non-MLS leagues in the US & Canada, probably others), so the main focus of this thread is NEWS and VIEWS and VIDEO GAME TIFOS. If you want to learn more, :google: it.

The coolers are packed, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Introducing the Austin Football Club probable Starting XI, copy and pasted from The Striker Texas

GK: Andrew Tarbell

quote:

This is perhaps the one position that still feels like a tossup heading into the match against LAFC. Tarbell and Brad Stuver split time in La Copita, with both players starting a half in the finale against San Antonio FC. They each conceded three goals against Houston Dynamo FC and FC Dallas, and both struggled at times in buildup. I’ll give the edge to Tarbell because of his experience and the shot-stopping ability he showed in the playoffs last year for Columbus, but I won’t be surprised if Wolff and goalkeeper coach Preston Burpo trust Stuver a little more at this point with distribution.

CB: Matt Besler, Jhohan Romaña

quote:

This has been the most concerning position during preseason. Each of the potential starters were responsible for goals against Houston and Dallas, and all struggled to pass through a high press — something that will be key to playing the style Wolff is committed to. As you’d expect, Besler has looked most comfortable in the role, and he looks fit enough to be a regular starter for the first seven weeks. But he’s never been the quickest, and that’s why I think you have to pair him with Romaña. The 22-year-old Columbian clearly has some learning to do, and he’s bound to make mistakes, but he also has recovery speed that will be required as long as Austin FC remains committed to playing a high back line.

RB: Nick Lima

quote:

Lima has looked good, though maybe not as good as his $500,000 GAM price tag. He’ll need to stay at home to help the center backs, and will look better as Austin FC becomes more confident in possession. We’ve yet to see if Wolff will want him to tuck inside as he has with the USMNT under Gregg Berhalter.

LB: Ben Sweat

quote:

Perhaps a question mark after a lackluster 2020 with Inter Miami, I’ve been pleasantly surprised with Sweat’s form thus far. In the first half against San Antonio FC, I thought he was one of Austin FC’s best players. He excels the further up the field he can get, which is a good thing to have on the left where Cecilio Domínguez has freedom to float inside. However, this can leave things exposed at times, leading to some nervy moments with the center backs.

DM: Alex Ring (C)

quote:

If you’re going to write one player’s name in pen before every match, it’s this guy. Austin FC named Ring its captain on Wednesday, and for good reason. He’s proven himself as one of the most reliable No. 6s in MLS. He only missed 12 regular-season matches during four seasons with NYCFC, while starting 112. If Austin FC is to sneak into the playoffs, Ring is going to have to be at his best.

AM: Tomás Pochettino, Daniel Pereira

quote:

The engine room. Whether you want to call them No. 8s or No. 10s, Wolff is a proponent of the two free-roaming offensive midfielders that we’ve seen the USMNT use under Gregg Berhalter. Pochettino has wowed with his free kicks (scoring two during preseason), but is still settling into the role in his transition from Argentina. Meanwhile, Pereira looks every bit the No. 1 overall SuperDraft pick Austin FC made him in December. Expect Pereira to sit a little deeper and drive at defenders off the dribble, while Pochettino looks to play balls in behind and fire off long-range missiles with his right foot.

Wingers: Cecilio Domínguez, Rodney Redes

quote:

These are the players who are meant to bring Wolff’s attack to life. The Paraguayans have looked the part so far, though Redes is dealing with a minor knee injury that could keep him out of the opener. Domínguez could be Austin FC’s x-factor, if he’s able to find the consistency he lacked at Club América and Independiente. He and Redes present different challenges for defenses, with Domínguez apt to float inside as almost a second striker, while Redes likes to use his pace to zoom up and down the right flank. Both should have plenty of scoring opportunities.

Forward: Danny Hoeson

quote:

Still one of the biggest question marks on the roster, though Hoesen did lead Austin FC with four goals during preseason. Two of those came off of headers, a sign that he’s positioning himself well in Wolff’s system. He’s also dropped deeper at times to receive the ball, which could add an extra layer to the attack once he develops better chemistry with the wingers. He doesn’t have to score 20 goals a season, but a handful during the first seven games on the road would ease fans’ nerves.

TL,DR: We're an expansion team, so nobody has any idea of how good we're going to be.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Thanks Ed. I would've done this but I've been hella slammed at work this past week and soon I will gorge myself on video games and MLS pretty much from now until Monday.

So you're going to do the GDT too, right? :v:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Well I guess I care a little bit less about how my team might suck to start the season:

https://twitter.com/opencup/status/1383133336932122625

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Here's opening MLS Cup odds (via draftkings) which is a decent enough short hand starting place for good teams and poo poo teams

quote:

Team Odds
LAFC +400
Columbus Crew +550
Seattle Sounders +600
Toronto FC +900
Orlando City +1100
Philadelphia Union +1100
NYCFC +1400
New England Revolution +1800
FC Dallas +2200
Portland Timbers +2500
Atlanta United +3000
Colorado Rapids +3300
Minnesota United +3300
New York Red Bulls +4000
Sporting KC +4000
Chicago Fire +5000
Inter Miami +5000
LA Galaxy +5000
Nashville SC +6000
Austin FC +6600
FC Cincinnati +6600
CF Montreal +8000
Real Salt Lake +10000
Vancouver Whitecaps +12500
DC United +15000
San Jose Earthquakes +15000
Houston Dynamo +20000

Minnesota is probably a bit low, cbus seems high imo

and here is 538s season opening percentages, which really does a good job of highlighting how unpredictable mls is

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/soccer-predictions/mls/

betting on mls: an extremely good and fun idea

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

G-Hawk posted:

and here is 538s season opening percentages, which really does a good job of highlighting how unpredictable mls is

Columbus at only a 55% chance to make the playoffs is actually insane. They won MLS cup, brought back everybody important, and then added some reinforcements in Molino and BWP

They're a far better team than Philly

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

https://theathletic.com/news/mls-determines-inter-miami-violated-roster-and-budget-rules/gLDWz37CsHc8

Looks like Miami's four DP problem has been solved and the person who got the harshest punishment is arguably Matías Pellegrini. Can't be moved or traded within MLS, so he is now stuck being loaned to Ft. Lauderdale CF (just on paper, sounds like he's gonna stay training with Miami) until at least the summer transfer window. And Miami is forced to buy out his cap number.
Pellegrini must be justifiably pissed.

edit;
nevermind, I guess Miami is still looking forward to a punishment
https://twitter.com/samstejskal/status/1383181619452899330

TwoStepBoog fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 17, 2021

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Columbus at only a 55% chance to make the playoffs is actually insane. They won MLS cup, brought back everybody important, and then added some reinforcements in Molino and BWP

They're a far better team than Philly

i think 538 basically leans on xG a lot and Columbus outperformed their xGD by a lot in the 2020 season, so the expectation is that doesn't happen again

i think the betting odds are a bit high on them but the 538 playoff odds are a bit low

edit: although otoh philadelphia also outperformed xGD by a lot in 2020 so maybe 538 just hates Columbus

G-Hawk fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 17, 2021

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

G-Hawk posted:

Here's opening MLS Cup odds (via draftkings) which is a decent enough short hand starting place for good teams and poo poo teams

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/soccer-predictions/mls/

betting on mls: an extremely good and fun idea

538 doesn't know anything about MLS. That chart is ridiculous. Columbus brought back literally everyone PLUS added a huge amount of depth. We have BWP off the bench now haha. We did likely just lose our good young DM for the year though in the CCL game.

The betting odds are a bit better but still strange. Philly, Portland, and Minnesota all way too low.

Columbus looking to repeat. I can't loving wait for the new stadium.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Just wanna remind you all that permanent matchday threads are all the rage now.

Also dammit Fanduel, let me bet on the Rapids to win MLS Cup/Western Conference.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

TwoStepBoog posted:

https://theathletic.com/news/mls-determines-inter-miami-violated-roster-and-budget-rules/gLDWz37CsHc8

Looks like Miami's four DP problem has been solved and the person who got the harshest punishment is arguably Matías Pellegrini. Can't be moved or traded within MLS, so he is now stuck being loaned to Ft. Lauderdale CF (just on paper, sounds like he's gonna stay training with Miami) until at least the summer transfer window. And Miami is forced to buy out his cap number.
Pellegrini must be justifiably pissed.

edit;
nevermind, I guess Miami is still looking forward to a punishment
https://twitter.com/samstejskal/status/1383181619452899330

It's me, I'm the sicko saying "Yes! Ha ha ha, yes!" outside a window.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

Crew's 19 year old Aidan Morris out 9-12 months with ACL reconstruction. Sucks. I loved his energy on the pitch and he was visibly getting better every game.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

e: wrong thread

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
Selling Tim Parker may have been a big mistake by the Red Bulls, Nealis leaves a bit to be desired. Also I don't know if this team is going to go anywhere with Barlow/White leading the line.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

All teams since 2004 should gently caress off because we're full and we don't need you

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Cincinnati’s stadium is going to be called TQL Stadium.

We have Cincy fans in TRP, right?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Edward Mass posted:

Total Quality Loss Stadium. Sounds about right for them.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Edward Mass posted:

They didn't name it the UDF Bowl in honor of owner Carl Lindners business,? At least TQL can maybe truck them out of the city when they keep flailing for years. Wait it's just another crappy sports team in Cincinnati, we collect them,

I live in Cincy, but FCC should have stayed in USL and kept playing at Nippert. Least the Schadenfreude is abundant.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
https://twitter.com/ikicknumbers/status/1385350227624960004

I love charts like these.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Jovial Cow posted:

Also I don't know if this team is going to go anywhere with Barlow/White leading the line.

Hey what do you know, NYRB signed a striker, Poland Youth International Patryk Kimala comes over from Celtic on a DP contract. I hope he’s good!

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012

Jovial Cow posted:

Hey what do you know, NYRB signed a striker, Poland Youth International Patryk Kimala comes over from Celtic on a DP contract. I hope he’s good!

He's not!

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Chicago bought all the good Poles, sorry.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

toronto is trying to sign some 4'8" venezuelan dp to play on the left and he seems excited about moving to toronto, so accordingly we're already building the statue

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
https://twitter.com/VermontGreenFC/status/1385383099375046658?s=19

looks like they're getting a USL1 team up in yonder Vermont. more New England teams for the New England soccer god

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

paddyboat posted:

Chicago bought all the good Poles, sorry.

Despite my Polish acquaintance telling me how awful Niezgoda was, I thought he did well until his ACL tear. Could definitely use him right now so we have more than one actual striker in the 18 and less Asprilla.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

it's a done deal

https://twitter.com/TorontoFC/status/1386779632092000259?s=19

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
Cayden Clark is cool and good. I also thought Amaya had a good game today.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Something I expected after the first 3 games of the season: Cincinnati making a strong push for the wooden spoon

Things I didn't expect after the first 3 games of the season: Minnesota with a grasp on the spoon with 0 points, and New England leading the league with 7 points.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
(I know, Alexi Lalas)

https://twitter.com/AlexiLalas/status/1388935453752152065

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Assuming it takes place this year and they don't change the qualification method, here are the 8 MLS clubs that will participate in the US Open Cup, based on the best record after 3 games:

Seattle
New England
NYC
San Jose
Salt Lake (only played 2 games, but no chance of losing ground)
LAG
Austin
Orlando
LAFC, unless Columbus win by more than 3 goals against DC on the 8th

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I thought it was 5 games?

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

Let it be known that after week 3, Minnesota is worse than Cincinnati
Back to basics

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

binge crotching posted:

I thought it was 5 games?

Nope, just three.

Also, Austin being in the top 8 is insane to me, and I was optimistic for the club!

insider
Feb 22, 2007

whypick1 posted:

Assuming it takes place this year and they don't change the qualification method, here are the 8 MLS clubs that will participate in the US Open Cup, based on the best record after 3 games

Pretty sure they would change the qualification method. Basing it on first three games doesn't make sense anymore since the entire thing is TBD.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I'm almost positive the Open Cup self-cancelled this year

insider
Feb 22, 2007

Crew fans are in a frenzy that the club is going to be rebranded again (mid season).

I personally think its been completely overblown and its going to be something completely minor. Its supposedly announced on Tuesday though.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Can't wait to see Crew de Football Columbus.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

whypick1 posted:

Can't wait to see Crew de Football Columbus.

Calcio Columbus surely?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Columbus
United
Men's
Soccer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011