Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Gripweed posted:

I'm pretty happy about the fact that his transformation gear isn't based on previous Ultramen

This, so much this. After the Ultraman legacy gimmick stuff felt completely pointless in Z in every way, and in fact made getting new powers feel really lame, I'm glad we're ditching it entirely here. Trigger himself looks very nice, even if I don't get the point of the Circle Arms' Power Claw mode (the other two are a lot more obvious but I can't see any use in having the sword split in two like that). The new Spark Lens is also neat, I like the idea of humanity copying the original, but the voice is very underwhelming. Oh well, it hardly matters. I hope it's as good as it looks.

Maybe I need to watch Tiga before this though...July is pretty far away, I have some time...

Homora Gaykemi posted:

Toy pics are out showing TwoKaiser's design

https://twitter.com/RangerBoard/status/1382591265712246784

I guess seeing the actual context in the show could change my mind but right now it's just kind of like "I, uh... hmm"

More and higher quality pics here: https://news.tokunation.com/2021/04/15/kikai-sentai-zenkaiger-sixth-ranger-twokaiser-revealed-71198

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Homora Gaykemi posted:

I guess seeing the actual context in the show could change my mind but right now it's just kind of like "I, uh... hmm"

Goooooldkaiger!! :v:

In all seriousness I find the big SD Gundam eyes on the Shinken and Ohren Gears pretty interesting.

Shaezerus fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Apr 15, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It’s literally GokaiGold but doesn’t look too bad (sort of makes me wonder if he actually IS a Gokaiger somehow).

Based on the fact his toy comes out on the 24th that means we might be seeing him in the series really soon as well

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Apr 15, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Possibly related to this, Ryota Ozawa (Marvelous) recently teased that he’d be able to announce a new role of his soon:

https://twitter.com/anytalking/status/1381567343885656064

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 15, 2021

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

It'll be interesting to see Trigger- I know in Japan Tiga is hugely popular and now a lot of his childhood fans are in their 30s so it's bound to be a big nostalgia show for a lot of people as well. Is this the first time where a big name in entertainment has played the hero in an Ultraman show before?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

It'll be interesting to see Trigger- I know in Japan Tiga is hugely popular and now a lot of his childhood fans are in their 30s so it's bound to be a big nostalgia show for a lot of people as well. Is this the first time where a big name in entertainment has played the hero in an Ultraman show before?

It happened in Tiga itself too, only there it backfired since his actor's company is a pain in the rear end to deal with and now he got effectively erased from history due to that. Hopefully it won't be the case here too, especially considering how New Generation Heroes tend to reappear a lot.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014
But he's only using one Gaia memory!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Blaze Dragon posted:

It happened in Tiga itself too, only there it backfired since his actor's company is a pain in the rear end to deal with and now he got effectively erased from history due to that. Hopefully it won't be the case here too, especially considering how New Generation Heroes tend to reappear a lot.

Ohhhhh right- I had completely forgotten about that. Honestly I don't know a lot about Tiga; I've only watched it once a few years back. I can see why people really dig it but I'm a bit so-so on it. I know it sounds stupid but I have a bit of a hard time watching a lot of 90s shows because the bad video effects are really distracting to me. The whole elder gods thing was odd to me as well.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Funny how S.H. Figurarts was able to cough up enough money to get Hiroshi Nagamo to appear to hawk their Ultraman Tiga figurine, though..

It was probably immensely popular because there hadn't been a new Ultraman produced in Japan for about 15 years (80 produced in 1981, Tiga produced in 1996) and a new generation got a brand new show..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 15, 2021

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Larryb posted:

Possibly related to this, Ryota Ozawa (Marvelous) recently teased that he’d be able to announce a new role of his soon:

He also appears to always be ready to get into Marvelous again.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015

Although next time, you would be wise to heed the ancient Japanese proverb... phone first!
I'm always kind of sad when a new form shows up in Kamen Rider and it has a lot of cool CGI-based tricks that get ignored in favor of regular weapon fighting later.

Like, Hiiro getting Taddle Fantasy was great. Using his cape as a weapon! Summoning mooks to fight for him! Telekinesis! Barriers!

And then he steals his sword back from Kuroto and mostly just sticks to his usual fire and ice slashes.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Larryb posted:

Oh my God, please please please please please :pray:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Junpei posted:

I'm always kind of sad when a new form shows up in Kamen Rider and it has a lot of cool CGI-based tricks that get ignored in favor of regular weapon fighting later.

Like, Hiiro getting Taddle Fantasy was great. Using his cape as a weapon! Summoning mooks to fight for him! Telekinesis! Barriers!

And then he steals his sword back from Kuroto and mostly just sticks to his usual fire and ice slashes.

CGI costs are the worst enemy of any Kamen Rider. Just look at poor OOO GataKiriBa, that never gets used because it's extremely expensive.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Homora Gaykemi posted:

None of these toy photos seem to have like.... his 'base' form?

There's an Ohranger and a Shinkenger and a Kyoryuger (I think?) outfit, but maybe in base form it'll look good and the transformations in the show will be cool?

Also given the 35 on the helmet, maybe this means some sorta Gaoranger 7th or something

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sockser posted:

There's an Ohranger and a Shinkenger and a Kyoryuger (I think?) outfit, but maybe in base form it'll look good and the transformations in the show will be cool?

Also given the 35 on the helmet, maybe this means some sorta Gaoranger 7th or something

That literally is his base form, he’s a gold Gokaiger suit for some reason.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Sockser posted:

if this is the one you're reading as a Kyoryuger form, it's his base one

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015

Although next time, you would be wise to heed the ancient Japanese proverb... phone first!
I wonder if Twokaiser will modify his role call part based on his form. Like, normally, he'll go "Kaizoku Power!" in regular form but if he's in the others he'll go "Chouriki Power!" or "Samurai Power!"

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

Oh my God, please please please please please :pray:

If it’s true I will instantly forgive everything about TwoKaiser’s somewhat lackluster design

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I dunno how many old Sentai seasons have appeared in Power Rangers expanded universe, but I'm reading the Astronema origins comic and she killed (or at least seriously messed up) red Flashman on the very first page.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Apr 17, 2021

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015

my bullshit prediction, Twokaiser is actually the son of Captain Marvelous and Luka Millfy from the future

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Junpei posted:

my bullshit prediction, Twokaiser is actually the son of Captain Marvelous and Luka Millfy from the future

Marvelous would never cuck the Doc.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
the gokaigers are obviously an extremely dysfunctional polycule

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

DoctorWhat posted:

5 Bisexual Pirates and their Large Adult Son they all take care of.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

See also: The Shinkengers.They put a lot of effort into making sure each pair of characters got a focus episode about the two of them and their dynamic.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Apr 17, 2021

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Aren't the Shinkengers related

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Aren't the Shinkengers related

None of them are, no (the only teams of relatives I recall are Fiveman, GoGoV, Magiranger, and Ninninger)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

PMush Perfect posted:

See also: The Shinkengers.They put a lot of effort into making sure each pair of characters got a focus episode about the two of them and their dynamic.

Just finished Shinkenger the other week. great show. the ryunosuke/chiaki episode with their hands tied together was incredible.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Larryb posted:

None of them are, no (the only teams of relatives I recall are Fiveman, GoGoV, Magiranger, and Ninninger)

Ah, I was getting that part confused with Ninnin then, yeah.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Two of the Shinkengers are related though, Kaoru is Takeru's mum.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

Two of the Shinkengers are related though, Kaoru is Takeru's mum.

By adoption later in the series but yes

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Craptacular! posted:

I dunno how many old Sentai seasons have appeared in Power Rangers expanded universe, but I'm reading the Astronema origins comic and she killed (or at least seriously messed up) red Flashman on the very first page.

Yeah the comics are trash.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

God, I need to rewatch Shinkenger.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Burkion posted:

Yeah the comics are trash.

It was sort of a question hedged as a statement because I haven't seen every piece of PR media ever, but uh, thanks for your opinion.

I was surprisingly okay with it. The background it gave on Divatox at first was confusing but I eventually grew to like when I remembered that one set of Turbo writers gave her an evil space pirate family who haunts her dreams, and the next set of Turbo writers gave her Dimitiria as a sister and a monster general as a brother. Given how messed up all of that was, making her a girl hosed up by Darkonda and dark wizard space magic was okay.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Apr 17, 2021

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Fiveman The Supersonic Rangers had a short story that was in one of the hardcover editions of the MMPR book and then got reprinted in the Power Rangers: The Psycho Path graphic novel.

I think those are the only two we were too lazy to edit Super Megaforce properly "New Powers" to have been in the comics so far.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

5 Bisexual Pirates and their Large Adult Son they all take care of.

New thread title spotted

Junopter
Aug 28, 2020

PMush Perfect posted:

God, I need to rewatch Shinkenger.

chan chan bara, chan bara bara

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
ToQ Whatever Ep. I Last Posted About - 30

I know that there isn't really any allegory intended, but I like that Akira's intro episode features a monster that causes people migraines when others say their name and a big focus is on that not working on Akira at first and the ToQgers affirming who he wants to be now while the monsters try to keep using his Shadow name and drawing him back into who they want him to be.

Akira and the kitten in #20 is so precious :3:

Body swap episodes are kind of old hat but I liked how they did it in 21. It makes sense as a scheme for Grita who to try and escape her arranged marriage

Holy poo poo, I didn't expect Grita eating Zed like that :stare:

And then the reversal :vince: Interesting to see what comes about from Grita appearing in his reflection after he's absorbed her shine

The Shadow Town Overseers have really cool designs, the chess motif is great. The overwhelming darkness snuffing out the Rangers' powers also gives a really good reason for line changing to exist here beyond "why not, it's neat?"

Bathhouse episodes are usually real groaners that mostly serve as an excuse for the guys or audience to perv on the female characters but I like that this one is driven by Akira's obsession with the relatively mundane human act of bathing. He's spent however long as a Shadow and he's gonna enjoy just soaking in the water now, damnit. I also personally appreciated the opportunity to perv of Akira a bit more

The kids that help Right relearn the power of imagination and unlock Hyper Mode are really sweet :shobon: and I like Hyper Mode. It's kinda goofy, but "let's do the tradition armour chest piece but it's just a big golden train" rules

Then we get another player joining the villains with the arrival of the Marquess to shake up the dynamic a bit more

Episode 28 is just a bunch of really cute stuff between Tokatti and Hikaru

Schwarz just lying to get close to them to steal the drill train was really obvious, but trusting him up to that point was absolutely the thing that earnest idiot Right would do and scenes like him sitting in the cafe with them were super funny. I really liked Bottle Shadow as a monster of the week, too. Interesting to see that Schwarz seems to genuinely want revenge for Grita on top of anything he wants to do for himself.

"Haha, isn't it funny that this girl can't cook?" is an overdone gag in stuff, but I still cackled when Akira straightfaced "this is where I'll die" after trying Kagura's first cake. After that, it's nice that whole plot is just someone wanting to do something nice for their friend. And oh my gosh Akira going straight to fawning over the little chicks even as the wig monster is first explaining what it's done to them :swoon:

e: oh yeah, and the dvd special with Ticket on Akira's hand was hilarious. them arriving at the final showdown and Schwarz just standing there with a puppet on his hand like "so you guys got dragged into this too, huh?" was amazing

Homora Gaykemi fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 18, 2021

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Zenkaiger: Twokaiser is next week and he's not Marvelous

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Waffleman_ posted:

Zenkaiger: Twokaiser is next week and he's not Marvelous

gosh he's pretty, tho :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

His name is Zox (which I’m guessing is a pun on Kai-Zoku or “pirate”) apparently

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 18, 2021