Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Eternal Return is a Battle Royale MOBA developed by Nimble Neuron in Early Access. I am aware that some of those words will scare people away, but as someone who never got into either genre before, I love this. It sets itself apart from others in the genres and the gameplay loop is unique.

The game is a spinoff of Black Survival. A Korean point and click mobile game that predates the Battle Royale game boom. The conceit is a shadowy organization has gathered folks from around the world to act as test subjects for a series of experiments. These experiments revolved around, tada, a battle royale. The twist here is they made the test subjects effectively immortal. Everyone is revived after each test. Characters remember previous loops, and have gotten to know each other. There is much more lore going on besides that, but it comes from the original game and ER hasn't dive into any of that yet.

The game can be played solo, duos, or squads.

So what makes it different?

Plans

Instead of an item shop like the typical moba, you have to craft your gear from materials found on the map. To help ease this the game has Plans. Plans are a collection of gear that you build toward.

The map has your plan's route in it, showing you which order you should hit locations in. The top left is your targeted item, showing you everything you need to build it. The bottom left tells you exactly what material you should gather here before moving on.

The game gives you a suggested plan for each character, but you can create your own outside of matches.

This lets you select which gear you want and create your own routes. You can also import other player's builds, and it's what is recommended for new players.

While plans have a limited number of slots, during a match you can add items. So if for example there is a trap you want to craft after you finish up your build, you can add it.
Nice thing about plans is you can even save skill order to them. This highlights skill when you level up to show you the plan's suggested skill. You can of course ignore this.

Mastery

Everything you do in this game gives you mastery exp. Moving increases your move mastery, which increases your movement speed. Crafting and using health items increases your health mastery, which increases your health. You can see the trend here. Increasing these masteries also increases your character level.

The most imporant mastery is weapon. Crafting higher tiers of weapons (happens once for each tier), dealing damage, and killing things increases weapon mastery. Which increases your weapon damage. This means even if you are the same level as a player, if their weapon mastery is way higher, you probably want to run away.

Weapons
Some characters can select from multiple weapon categories.

After character selection, players select their weapon type. Weapon types have different ranges, attack speeds, and weapon skills. This means a pistol Aya plays different from a sniper Aya.

Weapon skills do drastically different things. Daggers can turn you invisble for a short time. While guitars charm and pull opponents towards you. Some weapons are unique to a character, for example only Hart can use guitars.

Characters
The characters are a lot fun and the international cast is nice. I think the game has much stronger character design then other Mobas.

In some ways the designs are a step down from Black Survival. They almost had a King of Fighters look to them. But you are going have to make things more brighter and pronounce when translating the designs into a moba. And the designs still look fun.

Also this is a personal thing that isn't going to matter to some of you, the game has a lot of gay looking women.

I mean god look at her.

Or her. Like, this feels like the moba for lesbians. I love it, its great.

This game seems too weird and niche to survive
Game is popular in Korea and the original Black Survival does well where it can support this game. Don't worry about it dying soon.

Do you have any hot tips for how to play?
I'm really bad at this game but sure. Holding alt lets you check weapon mastery of other players and highlights containers you haven't search. Good plans tend to finish their weapon in two zones. Don't waste time hunting animals if you can kill them in a few seconds, time is everything in this game.

You can also check out these videos and others this guy has on his channel.

Links:
Wiki
Roadmap

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Apr 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
~~Characters~~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJWmm5Q3QoA

Name: Jackie
Job Title: Serial Killer
Nationality: UK
Play if: You want to be Hannibal, but a lesbian

Name: Aya
Job Title: Cop
Nationality: Japan
Play if: You have a strong sense of justice

Name: Hyunwoo
Job Title: High School Student
Nationality: Korea
Play if: You want to look like the guy from fate/stay night

Name: Magnus
Job Title: Gang Leader
Nationality: USA
Play if: you like motorcycle

Name: Fiora
Job Title: Olympic Fencer
Nationality: Italy
Play if: You like to get to the point

Name: Nadine
Job Title: Hunter
Nationality: Indonesia
Play if: You are the solitary sort

Name: Zahir
Job Title: Very religious
Nationality: India
Play if: You like to preach

Name: Hart
Job Title: Wannabe Rock Star
Nationality: Born in the U.S.A.
Play if: Love and Peace

Name: Isol
Job Title: Guerilla
Nationality: Brazil
Play if: You like making traps

Name: Li Dailin
Job Title: Unemployed
Nationality: China
Play if: You like getting drunk and beating people up with martial arts

Name: Yuki
Job Title: High School Student
Play if: You want to be an anime protag but Fate/Stay Night wasn't doing it for you

Name: Hyejin
Job Title: Shaman
Nationality: Korea
Play if: You like being mystical

Name: Xiukai
Job Title: Chef
Play if: You probably done a bit of cannibalism before

Name: Sissela
Job Title: Sickly Patient with constant chronic pain
Nationality: Sweden
Play if: You want to make people feel bad for killing you

Name: Chiara
Job Title: Nun
Nationality: France
Play if: Nuns gone bad

Name: Adriana
Job Title: Arsonist
Nationality: Mexico
Play if: Burning down the house

Name: Shoichi
Job Title: Stock Broker
Play if: You would do anything for your daughter and you have a suitcase full of knives

Name: Silvia
Job Title: Racer
Nationality: Argentina
Play if: you like motorcycle (female)

Name: Emma
Job Title: Magican
Nationality: America
Play if: Bunnies!

Name: Lenox
Job Title: Angler
Nationality: Austria
Play if: Women Want Me, Fish Fear Me

Name: Rozzi
Job Title: Merc
Nationality: Brazil
Play if: You love chocolate

Name: Luke
Job Title: Janitor
Nationality: Poland
Play if: You are just a normal janitor. Nothing else going on here

Name: Cathy
Job Title: Doctor
Nationality: Canada
Play if: Angel of Death

Name: Adela
Job Title: Chessmaster
Nationality: Norway
Play if: You like wacking people with giant pawns

Name: Bernice
Job title: Hunter
Nationality: South Africa
Play if: You like looking like that gif of Robert Redford nodding his head

Name: Barbara
Job Title: Engineer
Nationality: Germany
Play if: You like having a lil robot buddy

Name: Alex
Job Title: Spy
Nationality: Russia
Play if: You like being the most inconspicuous spy in the world

...And more coming.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Apr 19, 2021

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Snooze Cruise posted:

but the game has a lot of gay looking women.

The hecc this even mean

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

MotU posted:

The hecc this even mean

I look at the lady and I am like "wow, she is a lesbian, as a lesbian i like this :pien emoji:"

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
The designs all look really good and have a good pop to them but just seemed :confused: to assign people things based on their looks, but if that helps you like the characters more then :cheersdoge:

Doing anything increasing like your overall strength/power level seems cool and I've always liked games that do things like that. I also never got into MOBAs at all, what's the gameplay like on this?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

MotU posted:

The designs all look really good and have a good pop to them but just seemed :confused: to assign people things based on their looks, but if that helps you like the characters more then :cheersdoge:

Its fine, not everyone possesses the sight B)

And its not all based off of their designs, e.g Jackie flirts with the Wickeline in the manhwa

MotU posted:

Doing anything increasing like your overall strength/power level seems cool and I've always liked games that do things like that. I also never got into MOBAs at all, what's the gameplay like on this?

The skills are still pretty moba-y and I been told some characters are common achetypes you'll see in other games. The early game everyone is focus on gathering materials for their items, going location to location. There tends to be a silent agreement to avoid fights early on, though some characters reward agressive play and try to get kills early. Battles tend to be quick affairs. Matches last like 15 minutes? Shorter of course if you die earlier. There are traps and health items you can craft.

Game is still early access so we are missing some major mechanics that will be in later. Like the first Black Survival had a hacking objective where you could win matches with instead of being the last player standing. It is not implemented yet, for obivous reasons. Since you want to nail down all player vs player stuff for all the "COMPETITIVE MOBA" players

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Apr 29, 2021

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
I have a friend who plays this game 5 hours a day and recommends that it's not very beginner friendly. If you don't know builds, specific character matchups, and routes you will do nothing but die over and over. There is a extremely deep learning curve and the tutorial isn't very helpful. Lower ranked play is filled with smurfs that pub stomp everything, much like a Starcraft master vs. a newbie. The idea combining moba and battle royale is a breed for toxic gameplay. Being a Korean developed game, they're not afraid of random rear end balance changes.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Lord Ephraim posted:

I have a friend who plays this game 5 hours a day and recommends that it's not very beginner friendly. If you don't know builds, specific character matchups, and routes you will do nothing but die over and over. There is a extremely deep learning curve and the tutorial isn't very helpful. Lower ranked play is filled with smurfs that pub stomp everything, much like a Starcraft master vs. a newbie. The idea combining moba and battle royale is a breed for toxic gameplay. Being a Korean developed game, they're not afraid of random rear end balance changes.

yeah it's fine actually, the game gives you premade plans that work well enough

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Lord Ephraim posted:

The idea combining moba and battle royale is a breed for toxic gameplay. Being a Korean developed game, they're not afraid of random rear end balance changes.

???
Its an early access multiplayer game, of course there are going to be balance changes.

As for toxic gameplay, in game chat is only for duo and squad so I have never ran into it for my 70 hours of playing. I am sane, so I would never try playing those modes with randos because any MP game with chat is toxic.

As for everything else, the tutorial sucks and the game is complex but imo, you are really over stating the difficulty. I am terrible at video games and have gotten wins in this, and I have no skill in mobas.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
anyways for actual content

quote:

Name: Li Dailin
Job Title: Unemployed
Play if: You like getting drunk and beating people up with martial arts

this is the character I mostly play, she's really fun! Kinda reminds me of both Riven and Rumble from LoL, her Q is a 3-hit thing that can do a bunch of damage, and instead of mana she has a drunkenness meter that you increase with her W where she takes a swig from her jug. If she's above 50% drunk some of her abilities get stronger, and if she hits 100% drunk she silences herself but her autoattacks do a bunch more damage. For her E she spits out booze in a cone, and her ult is like a dash that beats up the first person you hit with it.

I've mostly been using the default nunchuk plan with her which seems to work p well, and I like the item ability it gets (a charged tornado) than the fist weapon, which is just an uppercut thing

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Xad posted:

this is the character I mostly play, she's really fun!

i play hart because her auto attack build is a breeze and i can get easy kills out of it despite having no skills and not understanding the purpose of things like attack move + click

i lied i mostly play she is cute and says LOVE AND PEACE constantly while killing people with the power of music. her new skin is nice and cool looking. rozzi and cathy are the other two i mess around with.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Anime: good

Love and peace: good

Might download.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
OP in terms of video games when I played League of Legends a million years ago I basically exclusively played Morgana, Annie, Nautilus, and Amumu. In terms of anime I think it's obviously that Yuri is the best girl and it is frankly OUTRAGEOUS that Natsuki won the Best Girl Challenge instead.

Which character would you recommend for me?

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Pretty neat game.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Meme Poker Party posted:

OP in terms of video games when I played League of Legends a million years ago I basically exclusively played Morgana, Annie, Nautilus, and Amumu. In terms of anime I think it's obviously that Yuri is the best girl and it is frankly OUTRAGEOUS that Natsuki won the Best Girl Challenge instead.

I don't have any reference to who most of those are but uh... Sissela, lets go with Sissela

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The next character we are getting in a few weeks is Sua. She is just a normal librarian with super memory.
Its funny to me how they are planning on translating this to the moba.

This is what she looked like in Black Survival.

This is what she is going to look like in Eternal Return

Give her a magic pen that transforms into a hammer, sure.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
I still have the mobile game on my phone. I like it, but my continually increasing rank but not continually increasing skill was discouraging after awhile.

I like the character designs a lot and definitely think it's worth something as an IP so I'll definitely try this eventually.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Played a bit of this game today, its actually pretty slick. Hope the playerbase keeps growing

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Meme Poker Party posted:

Sissela is actually a good choice since she has cc and a karthus ult. Shes a bit oriannaish tho going by lol comparison

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Meme Poker Party posted:

for mage-y characters there's Zahir, Chiara, Hyejin, Emma, Barbara, and Adela? And Sissela was mentioned before, who's sorta Orianna-y but has Karthus ult.

Zahir reminds me of Brand sorta, he has big aoe spells that mark enemies and if you hit an already-marked enemy it does extra stuff

Chiara is like Swain, she has a root (on a tether, so basically Karma's) and her ult does a lot of aoe damage around her while healing her the whole time

Hyejin's passive is kinda neat, if she hits anyone with 3 skills they get Feared, her Q has two charges and is a skillshot that slows, her W is an aoe field that roots if left for max duration, and her E is pretty much Lissandra E, a skillshot that pierces targets and you can reactivate it to teleport to it, her ult gives her Aurelion Sol orbit-y things that do a bunch of damage when they collide with enemies, but that combined with her passive sorta makes it like a Fiddlesticks ult that you have to aim

Emma is...weird? I haven't really played her much, but she's a magician and her basic abilities leave a Dove, Magic Hat, and polymorph enemies into a Rabbit, and her ult lets you teleport to any of those and does a different extra effect based on what you teleported to, teleporting to a Dove makes it dash backwards to where you came from, doing damage in a line and rooting enemies, to a Hat makes you and the hat swap places, the hat doing aoe damage and pulling enemies in towards its center, and teleporting to a polymorph'd enemy does a big aoe polymorph around them, so you can turn an entire team into rabbits if they're stacked close together!

Adela is new since I last played but she seems a lot like Syndra, but with chess pieces. She can place Pawns, make a Knight jump, and slide out a Rook from her position, those all stay around for a bit and the Knights and Rooks can knock the pawns around when they're placed, doing extra damage. Her ult is a huge aoe around her after making her invulnerable for a few seconds, and it also reactivates any chess pieces nearby, making them do aoe damage and then disappearing. Apparently she used to be OP since you could easily one-shot people doing a certain combo? She seems cool

Barbara is basically Heimerdinger, she places a turret with her Q, her ult amps up one of her abilities, and for her other two abilities she can shoot a laser beam--which will make a turret also shoot a laser if it gets hit, and she can do aoe damage around her for a few seconds, which her turrets will also mimic

EDIT: okay wait hold on he's not like a ranged caster at all but apparently there's now a Janitor character, Luke, who hits people with a mop and stuff, his ult is a pressure washer lol yes very good, BUT his E has him literally "nothin personnel, kid" teleport behind someone and shoot them with a gun because I guess he is apparently both a cleaner and a "cleaner" this is great lmao

Xad fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 19, 2021

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
One of the most important skills in this game is to know when to press an advantage over an opponent. Mostly if you have a purple tier weapon and you come across anyone with a lesser tier weapon you should take the fight in most situations. If you run and rat to just PvE and kill animals you can rank pretty high, but you'll have trouble finishing off people in the final ring most of the time. There are some people who will endlessly chase you at like level 1/2 in which case you're both gonna lose due to the time spent running/time spent chasing. It sucks, but that's just how it is sometimes.

My basic recommendation for people starting out is to one-trick a character, and pick two starting plans that complete a purple weapon within 2/3 zones with two different starting areas in case one is overcrowded. After you're comfortable with the build paths for your equipment, start looking into food/drink routes and piece together early game food and late game food.

Generally, food that's built in less stacks heal for less overall for materials consumed, but have higher HP or MP per second recovery.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
For general food its smart to pick up and hoard lighters. Lighters plus stones = heated stones, plus oil = heated oil, plus water = boiling water. All three lead into a decent amount of food receipes.Outside of that like Hyper Inferno said you should look into early food specific for your path.

Another thing: You can actually switch between plans on the fly, so you can create a plan that is just all end game traps and foods that you can switch to after you finish your build.

The arrow here does it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

good rule of thumb for food is to always pick up lighters and milk, they both build into a lot of good hp and sp items. its not too much of an inventory burden to stack them even early game and you can transition into food hunting after your builds done

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Snooze Cruise posted:

Another thing: You can actually switch between plans on the fly, so you can create a plan that is just all end game traps and foods that you can switch to after you finish your build.

The arrow here does it

Oh dang I never knew you could do that, wow thanks

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
The northern part of the map is very good for food as well. Alley contains all the ingredients for Garlic Ramen except the water (which is easily found anyway) and the combo of Temple/Pond and Avenue contains the ingredients for Healing Potion. The nice thing about both of these is that they have a lower tier food in their recipe which is still pretty strong so it can be eaten in a pinch if you can't complete the recipe.

Watch your inventory though. Lots of plans take component parts and fill up your inventory with a bunch of stuff until the 3rd zone or later, which can easily lead to decision paralysis if you're building food at the same time. I typically try to turn the initial Bread you start with into something slightly better to tide me over until I have completed items and my inventory starts becoming free again.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Found these on the discord

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The traps thing doesn't have cameras even though it's another summon item... but anyway the recipe for telephoto is easy to remember, its just survilance + binoculars.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
OP I have COMPLETED my download and will now attempt EXTREME survival in the world of ANIME.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
good luck and god speed

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I only played Heroes of the Storm. are there any Murky esque characters

e: that are lesbians

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

lily white mexican lady is my jam

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Bogart posted:

I only played Heroes of the Storm. are there any Murky esque characters

e: that are lesbians

I did a search and people on the discord compare Sissela to Murky

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is it free to play in the league of legends sense where 90% of the characters are unavailable or is it actual free to play with just hats or whatever?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Its rotation. Currently they are doing double rotation so its a good time to start.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Acerbatus posted:

Is it free to play in the league of legends sense where 90% of the characters are unavailable or is it actual free to play with just hats or whatever?

it's like lol where there's a rotation of free characters, but so far actually getting the currency to buy a new one isn't that hard, iirc they give you a bunch of it when you first make an account and do tutorial stuff

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

and they give out a bunch if you link your twitch account with the game and watch their tourney streams. you can just have it open in another tab muted if you just want the e-bucks

also there's only 20ish characters in the game right now versus over 100 so, the free rotation covers a much wider portion of the cast

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
OP I am delighted to report that ANIME JUSTICE has been SWIFTLY and FIRMLY dealt by Aya the anime cop who may or may not be a LESBIAN!

TOTAL victory was achieved on only the SECOND match.

Game seems good.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Ok I'm gonna stop talking like a stupid rear end in a top hat now. Is there somewhere I can read up on plans? Because I don't even know where to start with this poo poo. Or is it recommend to not bother and just go by whichever plans the alpha tryhards online have cooked up?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

theres a couple decent youtube guys but theb est thign to do is just mess with a few in-game player made plans, see what works for you, then start looking at the itme charts so you can do stuff like tweak the plans on the fly if a zone gets cut off real early or if it runs you through archery range and archery range was alreadyp icked clean by the five bow users in the match

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I take it there's no crazy micro heroes like Visage or Meepo from Dota because those were my favs.