Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

The character in question is also going to appear in Black Widow according to Vanity Fair.

Way back before Covid there was rumors of a character crossing between BW and FatWS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

site posted:

I spent a good amount of that scene just staring at her like, there's no way that's actually her right? She wouldn't be in a marvel show

But she is

yo i felt the same loving way, like to the point that I wished all streaming services had the amazon thing where you pause the show and it shows you the actors in the scene.

BTW: everyone stuck around for our post credit scene, right?

Walker making a new shield

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

site posted:

I dunno just seems like something she wouldn't be interested in

Maybe she has kids, or Grand kids that she wanted to do it for, maybe she likes the movies and wanted to work with Feige?

Maybe just for fun?

She's never really *needed* to work, not with the family business, but she seems to like working, so I could just see her being the "who am I to turn down a gig?" type too.

I was surprised to see her, too, I had to double check it was on IMDB.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Most actors/actresses like this don't particularly have an issue with doing roles like this. If only because yeah their kids/grand kids would enjoy it. Or it gives them an opportunity to just completely chew scenery and go buckwild in a way that's completely different from their normal fare.

Cate Blanchett looked like she was having the time of her loving life playing Hela during Thor.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Anthony Hopkins was clearly having a fuckin blast during Ragnarok.

A better question is why wouldn't an actor want to be part of the MCU. You'll practically live forever via the role.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah, it's not like Julia Louis-Dreyfus (very famous actress who shows up in the new Falcon and The Winter soldier) is gonna be above working on a franchise that has previously employed Cate Blanchette, Tilda Swinton and Gwyneth Paltrow.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
This week's episode of Falcon & Friends kicked a lot of rear end actually.

I really liked Zemo just going with the Wakandans. No fight. No drama. Bucky even got one over on him at the end.

I wanna see the new suit.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Anthony Hopkins was clearly having a fuckin blast during Ragnarok.

A better question is why wouldn't an actor want to be part of the MCU. You'll practically live forever via the role.

That scene where he's Loki impersonating Odin he showed up with the eye makeup on.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

That scene where he's Loki impersonating Odin he showed up with the eye makeup on.

You mean he did it himself? Like, in the car?

Awesome.

And let's be serious, the MCU has become A-List territory. You have to try very hard to have a lovely career post Marvel.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Awesome.

And let's be serious, the MCU has become A-List territory. You have to try very hard to have a lovely career post Marvel.

*Glances over at RDJ's Doolittle direction.*

Hoop Dreams
Oct 21, 2010
Has any MCU actor had a big successful movie outside the MCU? I mean some of them have had lead roles in potentially big movies because of their exposure in the MCU, but none of them seem to have been a success box office wise or critically?

Edit: thinking about it, probably the best case is Chris Pratt?

Hoop Dreams fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 16, 2021

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Hoop Dreams posted:

Has any MCU actor had a big successful movie outside the MCU? I mean some of them have had lead roles in potentially big movies because of their exposure in the MCU, but none of them seem to have been a success box office wise or critically?

Chris Evans was a lead in Knives Out, pretty sure that did well critically and commercially.

e: Chris Pratt has the LEGO movies and the Jurassic World movies.

Klungar fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 16, 2021

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Hoop Dreams posted:

Chris Evans in "Knives Out", Chris Pratt in "Lego Movie 1-2", Chris Hemsworth in Netflix's "Extraction" (although that one would be sort of hard to pin down since it was only on Netflix), Zoe Saldana in all Star Trek movies, being in the Avatar movies, Scarlett Johannson in Marriage Story, Josh Brolin in Deadpool 2 , Men in Black 3, Sicario, same goes for Benicio del Toro

Batista in a gently caress ton of colorful character acting roles, same for Frank Grillo who's made a niche for himself in low budget overseas action movies that do pretty well.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 16, 2021

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Brie Larson won an Oscar, Golden Globe, SAG Award and BAFTA for Room and was in the new King Kong alongside Hiddleston and Jackson.

And Sam Jackson was in a little franchise called Star Wars.

Dave Bautista was in Blade Runner 2049 and is in the new Dune from Denis Villeneuve.

Even the RDJ Sherlock Holmes films did decent box office numbers, decent enough that he's making a third one.

Mark Ruffalo in Spotlight.

...Honestly 'has anyone in an MCU movie ever been in anything else good/successful' might be one of the dumbest questions one could ask.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 16, 2021

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

site posted:

I spent a good amount of that scene just staring at her like, there's no way that's actually her right? She wouldn't be in a marvel show

But she is

Yeah, I actually had to pause the show and check IMDB there. I was perfectly ready to post around here and tell everyone how much of a Julia Louis-Dreyfus-vibe that random actress gave me.
I always feel kinda conflicted about her. She is a great actress and seems to be a pleasant person with decent political options, but she's a quarter-billionaire from inherited money, so I never feel quite as much enthusiasm about her as she should deserve. On the other hand, it's great that she is working, even though she clearly doesn't need the paycheck.

Hoop Dreams
Oct 21, 2010
My intitial thinking was of more actors who became A-listers after the MCU or at least a lot more mainstream, so I didn't think of ScarJ, Brolin, Evans, Saldana. And more that people like Tom Holland/Chris Hemworths have been in big potential tentpole movies but they seem to all have been poorly received. But I concede MCU actors do have success outside the MCU.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I do kinda want Benoit Blanc in the MCU, though. Not Daniel Craig playing Dominic Fortune or some poo poo, just Benoit Blanc trying to solve who killed Stilt Man or the White Rabbit.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Gaz-L posted:

I do kinda want Benoit Blanc in the MCU, though. Not Daniel Craig playing Dominic Fortune or some poo poo, just Benoit Blanc trying to solve who killed Stilt Man or the White Rabbit.

This would be interesting but I'd wonder if it would work for the same reason I'm curious about those Knives Out sequels because part of the fun of Knives Out is that Benoit Blanc isn't actually that good a detective.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Awesome.

I assume he had a make-up professional do it, but it was a deliberate acting choice on his part and not something asked of him.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 16, 2021

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Arist posted:

This would be interesting but I'd wonder if it would work for the same reason I'm curious about those Knives Out sequels because part of the fun of Knives Out is that Benoit Blanc isn't actually that good a detective.

A lot of people say that and I'm not sure that was Johnson's point. They point out that he knew Marta was hiding something from literally a blood splatter on her shoes at the start of the film and he puts together that Evans' character is framing her and how. I think the stuff people use, like the scene of him listening to music in the car and missing what's happening, is more meant to be of a Columbo thing, showing his eccentricity.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

People pointing out all the success people had after the MCU and nobody mentioned how Terrence Howard invented math? You can't get much more successful than that.

https://twitter.com/terrencehoward/status/925754491881877507

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

X-O posted:

People pointing out all the success people had after the MCU and nobody mentioned how Terrence Howard invented math? You can't get much more successful than that.

https://twitter.com/terrencehoward/status/925754491881877507

I don't know what that is, but it certainly isn't math.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

site posted:

Why does this make it automatically interesting

I can think of a quarter of a million reasons why the MCU would be interesting to most working actors.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Skwirl posted:

I don't know what that is, but it certainly isn't math.

I have a degree in math, so I have the authority to say, that this is a form of math. It's approaching the matter with unintuitive axioms, but the resulting conclusions are logically sound.

I can determine if anything is math. AMA.

Vince MechMahon posted:

I can think of a quarter of a million reasons why the MCU would be interesting to most working actors.

As stated there are a quarter of a billion reasons why she wouldn't need to bother, if she wouldn't enjoy this.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 16, 2021

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

^^^ Diamondback will be an Instagram creator who wears diamonds everywhere, Nomad will be a frisbee-wielding Gen-Xer.

Or to be even more blunt, when the Power Broker is finally revealed in Ep. 6, he's wearing a yellow and black costume with a huge letter "D" printed on his chest.

What would top things off would be that in any continuation of FatWS, the Serpent Squad becomes the main antagonists with a special appearance by Mother Superior, and there's an episode where Sam and Bucky must play cross-dressing versions of themselves

Winter Soldier was originally called Serpwnt Society. Trying to get my head around what THAT looks like

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

cant cook creole bream posted:

I have a degree in math, so I have the authority to say, that this is a form of math. It's approaching the matter with unintuitive axioms, but the resulting conclusions are logically sound.

As stated there are a quarter of a billion reasons why she wouldn't need to bother, if she wouldn't enjoy this.

You forget she's American so it doesn't matter if she's got more money than anyone could ever spend in a dozen lifetimes, she's still gotta get more.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

You forget she's American so it doesn't matter if she's got more money than anyone could ever spend in a dozen lifetimes, she's still gotta get more.

I think she's spent a fair amount of time turning down projects that would have paid better. She's in it because she wanted to be in it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Is a hotdog math? What about log(dog)?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Shageletic posted:

Winter Soldier was originally called Serpwnt Society. Trying to get my head around what THAT looks like

That was Civil War, and it was Marvel joking around with people to make the reveal of CIVIL WAR have even more impact.

quote:

Marvel Studios initially announced Captain America: Civil War as Captain America: Serpent Society as a joke during the announcement of the film slate for Phase Three of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige stated: "We had this great idea because Civil War's first up, right? But we don't blow our wad on the presentation with Civil War right at the front of it. A guy named Mike Pasciullo had the idea to put Serpent Society on there, and I thought it was awesome and hilarious. A part of me thought, 'Are people going to love Serpent Society and think that'd be really cool? Now it's on the radar."

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'm reading Gruenwald's cap right now and serpent society are pro labor rights, so having cap defend the society against stark trying to crush them in the name of capitalism would be hilarious

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Bruceski posted:

Is a hotdog math? What about log(dog)?

Making a hotdog is cooking, which is applied food science, which is applied biology, which is applied chemistry, whuch is applied physics which is applied math.
But that is no real math, so no. :smuggo:

The second one actually depends on the base of the log. If it's e it's math. For 2 it's computer science and for 10 macro-economics. The other ones are abstract art.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Vandar posted:

That was Civil War, and it was Marvel joking around with people to make the reveal of CIVIL WAR have even more impact.

well shows how much I know

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Wait, is Sharon a bad guy now? Were they on the phone with Batroc? I was a little confused about that phone call

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

omg chael crash posted:

Wait, is Sharon a bad guy now? Were they on the phone with Batroc? I was a little confused about that phone call

She was explicitly shown to be working for the power broker two episodes ago.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

please explain to a dumdum liberal arts beta like me how "1 x 1" is not just the numerical way of saying "I would like to be given the numeral 1 and I would only like to have it given to me a single time."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So I'm wondering if Bucky had the Wakandans do Sam's new suit Cap themed.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Vince MechMahon posted:

I honestly somehow missed this too but even then it feels weird to me for her to help facilitate the potential murder of Sam

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

omg chael crash posted:

I honestly somehow missed this too but even then it feels weird to me for her to help facilitate the potential murder of Sam

i'm thinking she got in contact with batroc and convinced him with the double pay to betray the smashers

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

omg chael crash posted:

You can hear Batroc yelling at her in French on the other end, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellbore
Jan 25, 2012

Vince MechMahon posted:

Wait, when was this? I can't think of it of the top of my head.