Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I adore how much the card art tries, desperately, to make Greyman and Garuruman look at all cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Episode 43: so I actually guessed the resolution of the episode just from the first five minutes, purely by accident Because I was JOKING. Hats off to the show, they legit caught me off guard in the best possible way and I couldn't be happier.

Mimi remains the best, if there was ever any doubt.

On the other hand, the actual continuity stuff in the episode was dumb. First off, has it been established that the cast have been navigating based on Tailmon's memories? Because the cast were told to go to FAGA by Lopmon before Tailmon joined them. It honestly looked like the Komondomon knew where they were going. Also, while I don't particularly care that it was resolved because it was not a particularly useful plot point, the way they just dumped it out of the show felt needless. And I mean I'll take immediately solving a problem over what the show did for like 30 episodes where once an episode Koushirou would pop in to remind everyone what the immediate threat of the arc was supposed to be, but on the other hand if it was going to be this unimportant and this easy, why even bring it up? I know that it was pretty blatantly just product placement for the Vital Bracelet, but I had some bad flashbacks to late period 02 where they invented a problem just so Black WarGreymon could nobly sacrifice himself for something and have the heroic ending he didn't deserve. Again, could we not have shifted some of this stuff around so that the alternate evolutions came out of data on the DiM card like you to think it would considering what product they are placing? And are we supposed to be on a time pressure so tight they couldn't backtrack a little ways? Because that is not in any significant way apparent.

Honestly, though, if the show can keep having episodes roughly on a par with this one I think it will ultimately be an acceptable, though not exceptional Digimon show. And that is way higher than my opinion of it back during the dead zone of the late 20s.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Mimi is the best of the franchise without question

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.
After falling off of the show after the resolution of Tailmon's arc, I come back to a fantastically odd filler episode. Man show, if you did more random stuff like this, I feel like there would have been slightly less criticism of how things have gone. Also, it was great to see some lesser seen mons and one long lost relic from Adventure.

One thing I will say is keep bringing more Frontier mons, they've been wonderful to see again and if I'm reading my summaries right, there's only 1 missing before we've had at least 1 form from the five "bad" mons so please, let's complete the set Toei.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

SpazmasterX posted:

Granted, I've only ever watched the subbed version but I can't imagine it's essentially any different. But even as a kid watching it week to week it routinely just annoyed the hell out of me. It felt like and endless stream of pissing and moaning from any character on screen. The card gimmick was immediately tired. I don't like a mascot character suddenly being important for digivolutions. Good god literally anything related to Impmon/Beelzemon or Jeri made me wish they both got deleted and the show moved the hell on. You imagine a scene like Beelzemon using Fist of The Beast King to be this dramatic character turn and it's so hamfistedly animated it loses any emotional impact.

Additionally, all the protagonist digimon are boring. They do nothing but eventually get to their final evolutions with nothing to spice it up in between. 02 spiced it up with armor digivolutions and DNA digivolutions and then Tamers just does nothing but go back to a straight line of evolutions. You follow that with Frontier which bucks the whole partner digimon concept and instead lets the kids become digimon and combine their powers and Tamers looks even more dull by comparison.

Oh and then you have Savers which is still the best season ever.

I agree about Culumon, and I think the card thing was cool but man was it pushing hard for kids to buy the merch. I know, that's the point of all of these shows, but it felt real egregious there especially with all the insistence for the viewers to try to become tamers. And the kids and their Digimon are all pretty annoying until they hit their stride, which isn't until they start evolving to perfect level. Thankfully that's done really early in this series compared to others. I also thought Impmon's secret trauma and entire reason for being a mega psycho rear end in a top hat was stupid as hell when I first watched it. Maybe I would change my mind if I saw it again.

Having said that nah, the back half of that show rules.

E: Reading up on it, Konaka has said that the cards and Culumon were both mandated by Bandai, so that makes sense

womb with a view fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Apr 12, 2021

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Really good episode this week! It was absolutely hilarious, Etemon and Volcamon were great and I'll miss them, and all the Digimon going wild gags were amazing.

And I'm glad it's giving a chance for more variable evolution lines. I thought of Ponchomon with the maracas but I'm so happy they went for it. Also I liked the obscure gag of Palmon evolving with Patamon inside her - Ponchomon was originally Patamon's Armor Evolution with the Digimental of Purity. That's a deep cut there but one I appreciate.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://twitter.com/wikimon_news/status/1382687316255371270?s=21

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Frozomon is like a snow-equipment version of Raidenmon

It's a perfect-level though

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I usually don't care much for Baby levels but Hiyarimon is extremely cute and good. FrosVelgrmon is beautiful and majestic too.

The robot's fine but does a lot less for me than the other two.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
FrosVelgrmon is so pretty! :swoon:

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

FrosVelgrmon? Am I having a stroke?

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

no but it's probably intended less as "Frost version of corrupted beast spirit of darkness Velgrmon" and more "Frost Hresvelgr as a pun." Hresvelgr is written フレスベルグ furesuberugu in Japanese, so Frosvelgrmon (フロスベルグモン, furosuberugumon) is only one character away from what Hresvelgrmon would be.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Vital Bracelet ep 3 is out, showing the Vital Bracelet lab and still keeping up the setting of my dreams. God, make this an actual series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEyqATrGPpE

We also have the full evolution lines for the Dim Cards Mad Black Roar and True Shadow Howl, which reuse some existing Digimon but have some neat choices nonetheless. You don't see Vermillimon every day!

https://twitter.com/Wikimon_news/status/1382913202799980558

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
https://world.digimoncard.com/rule/en_character_name/

Vritramon/BurningGreymon and a few others get officially ruled as not having a “Grey” in its name

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

thetoughestbean posted:

https://world.digimoncard.com/rule/en_character_name/

Vritramon/BurningGreymon and a few others get officially ruled as not having a “Grey” in its name

It really is a pity they couldn't have named those cards something else, like, and I'm just spitballing here, Vritramon and Garmmon to go with the mythological/linguistic origins for the rest of the Digimon in that particular line.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Omnicrom posted:

It really is a pity they couldn't have named those cards something else, like, and I'm just spitballing here, Vritramon and Garmmon to go with the mythological/linguistic origins for the rest of the Digimon in that particular line.

Don't be silly, then how would the kids know which is the Tai expy and which is the Matt expy?????

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Leraika posted:

Don't be silly, then how would the kids know which is the Tai expy and which is the Matt expy?????

Maybe one of them can wear goggles and the other one can be associated with wolves and have a complicated relationship with his estranged brother?

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

As much as I would like to see Digimon English names get tidied up, I do have a certain appreciation for the card game committing to decisive consistency with what came before it, even if what came before it is KendoGarurumon and Bebydomon. There's already too many Digimon with 2+ English names, and consistency with video games etc. feels valuable for new people getting into Digimon.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I will die before I accept Creepymon and Apokarimon

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I spent a long time semi-facetiously defending Diaboromon as a name. Still the most tilted I've ever seen anyone get in this thread.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I take full responsibility for how I acted, though I maintain it's a stupid rear end name.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

TBF it is a better transliteration of the original katakana name than Diablomon. In hindsight it was probably supposed to be Diavolomon.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

... hrm. Thassa good point.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

In hindsight it was probably supposed to be Diavolomon.
I will gladly agree to this compromise of "Diavolomon would've been better than either."

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Always thought you could do a good bit where Daemon is this well known evil Digimon that even the villains of the season are scared of, but unknown to them he's already there in his cloaked form calling himself "Creepymon" manipulating things for his own plans, which of course leads to a late series part where he reveals his true identity and takes over the villain faction to become the final villain

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

The latter is especially bad because they actually used Apocalymon in the dub of the anime. As for the former, was there some reason they couldn't just be consistent with Daemon's name? Again, they used "Daemon" for his cloaked form in the anime. And while I'm not going to say that Creepymon is a particularly good name it never really bothered me, mostly I just laugh at it whenever I see it. Meanwhile, the dub names I genuinely hate are pretty much all from Frontier.

drrockso20 posted:

Always thought you could do a good bit where Daemon is this well known evil Digimon that even the villains of the season are scared of, but unknown to them he's already there in his cloaked form calling himself "Creepymon" manipulating things for his own plans, which of course leads to a late series part where he reveals his true identity and takes over the villain faction to become the final villain

I can definitely say I've heard worse pitches for using Demon in a storyline. For instance, you could have introduced him and put him over so hard that you write yourself into a corner and have to anti-climatically dump him off into another aborted plot line and hope everyone forgets about him so you can bring back a different villain for the finale in a way that nobody likes.

You know, if we're just spitballing ideas.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

I'm still amazed they never brought him back. Like he was even mentioned in Tri as a possibility for Yggdrasil's next plot and we actually got to see the dark ocean again. Then Kizuna completely ignored that.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

TBF it is a better transliteration of the original katakana name than Diablomon. In hindsight it was probably supposed to be Diavolomon.

I use "Diabolomon" and I've never had anyone actually complain. The greek word it comes from is Diabolos anyway.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHwU2rFmTnM

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Halsemon is another good one. It was probably supposed to be Horusmon but nobody figured that out

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I can honestly say I was not expecting to get a really impressive showing from Petaldramon of all Digimon, but here we are. Also, a really good 99 era Hikari episode, and appropriately considering the character it has a very different feel from a lot of other Digimon episodes. There's a lot more Kaiju movie in this episode than there is in many others, which is almost a curious distinction considering Digimon's very obvious influences.

Shout outs the group shot where Palmon has to use her vines to hang from something offscreen overhead in order to be in view.

Omnicrom fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Apr 18, 2021

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
That was a very unique episode, it basically felt like the team happened to intrude on a fight between two gods they couldn't do much to influence.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

This episode felt very "Ghibli".

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

womb with a view posted:

Halsemon is another good one. It was probably supposed to be Horusmon but nobody figured that out

On neither side of the ocean, at that. Somehow both sides had the kana ホルスモン and neither got it right, giving us Holsmon and Halsemon.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The Japanese side knew it was named after the god Horus though, they just romanized it weird because their English sucks. The American side just had no idea what they were doing.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The American side just had no idea what they were doing.

digimon.txt

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Fan-made vital bracelet line-ups, "Beet Horn Busters" and "Halloween Knights"

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

My takeaway from this last episode is that Hikari must be a complete nightmare to take outside with you, what with her constantly running away. Hell, didn't she also run away from her mom back around the time the team was fighting Nidhoggmon?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

amigolupus posted:

My takeaway from this last episode is that Hikari must be a complete nightmare to take outside with you, what with her constantly running away. Hell, didn't she also run away from her mom back around the time the team was fighting Nidhoggmon?

Children are hard to deal with. Takeru constantly puts his life in danger and seems to not have even the slightest bit of a self-preservation instinct, and Hikari constantly runs away from everyone or acts as if normal human emotions and words were a completely foreign thing for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
And if we hadn't spent a cour screwing off we might have been able to explore that.