Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005

SoylentCola posted:

A lot of you are distressingly good at this. Please be more poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

SoylentCola posted:

I am very poo poo at modelling as evidenced by the VW Beetle I'm working on with a splotchy paint job. drat el cheapo airbrush.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
Rocking average skills here!

Some play with oils and filters etc.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Everyone is great in their own right. Enjoy the creation for creativity's sake. :)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Skulk Hogan posted:

This is unbelievably cool. This thread has convinced me to build a gundam and a Klingon ship or two.

If it's robots you crave come hang out with us in the Gunpla thread!

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Got a few new goodies for my birthday:

First off, just a fun little kit. Can't wait to get started on it. It'll be up next.

Then a couple more of the Calsonic sisters. These should look good next to the R33 that's already in the case.

Need to go snap some pictures of the Super Bee and the Chevelle, I guess. Those are both finished and I didn't really take many progress shots. Did take one of the Chevelle but it's not a great shot.

The chevelle looks pretty sharp and I like the colour a lot. I have 2 of the newer xanavi nismo cars done and really should pick up the R34 version to help complete the set. It's also because they where the cars I spent a stack of time racing in GT3/4.

The model shop that I normally source kits from is shutting down at the end of the year so I should probs work on building a decent stash between now and then so that I don't have to worry about sourcing kits in the future. They're moving to a 50% discount next month up from 25% this month. I could probably pick up a number of hard to find kits then flog them on ebay for quite a bit more than I will pay for them cause even without the discount they where selling them for $60AUD each.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

The chevelle looks pretty sharp and I like the colour a lot. I have 2 of the newer xanavi nismo cars done and really should pick up the R34 version to help complete the set. It's also because they where the cars I spent a stack of time racing in GT3/4.

The model shop that I normally source kits from is shutting down at the end of the year so I should probs work on building a decent stash between now and then so that I don't have to worry about sourcing kits in the future. They're moving to a 50% discount next month up from 25% this month. I could probably pick up a number of hard to find kits then flog them on ebay for quite a bit more than I will pay for them cause even without the discount they where selling them for $60AUD each.

Thanks dude. The color on the Chevelle is a 1:1 mix of Tamiya x-3 and x-13. It actually looks a bit greener in the picture than in reality. Nice and blue in person. There are two more Calsonic kits that I'd like to get eventually. Another R33 and an R35. Collect the whole set!

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Thanks dude. The color on the Chevelle is a 1:1 mix of Tamiya x-3 and x-13. It actually looks a bit greener in the picture than in reality. Nice and blue in person. There are two more Calsonic kits that I'd like to get eventually. Another R33 and an R35. Collect the whole set!

thats a good colour mix really. Did they ever do the 350Z GT car in calsonic? I have the xanavi version of that one and the R35 that I finished at the start of this year.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

thats a good colour mix really. Did they ever do the 350Z GT car in calsonic? I have the xanavi version of that one and the R35 that I finished at the start of this year.

Yup: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/tamiya-24280-calsonic-impul-z--103804

Also, looks like I was mistaken and there are 2 R34 kits and only the one R33. There's also this, which is pretty drat cool. There's just something great about the single-color super bright blue Calsonic livery.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

SoylentCola posted:

We're goons and we're posting. What more do you want?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Plus a lot of have grown our modelling skills in quarantine. I mean for goons quarantine started long before 2020 but we had more of an excuse to partake in loner hobbies this past year.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Crosspost from the Gunpla thread:

Midjack posted:

It is the level beyond Gundams:

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
After months of long, slow progress, I am finally able to show something concrete on my latest project. This is the Rye Field Model Panzer IV J w/interior kit (#5043). Despite it's complexity, the kit's engineering is really solid. I've hit a few issues here and there, but generally it's been because of stuff I overlooked or just flat out put together wrong. All I can say is that it's an extremely complex kit with an insane parts count, so if you try to tackle it, just go very slowly and ensure you're putting everything together correctly before committing it to glued permanence.

Anyway, pretty happy with how this has turned out so far. The plan is to leave the upper hull plate dry fit so that it can be lifted off to expose the interior, else you'll see precisely nothing of the interior and all the work that went into it. Fortunately, the upper hull plate fits really well and sits very presentably without any glue.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Looks amazing, it's interesting to see that there is more detail in that kit in some places than in my 1:16 Panzer IV.

boba fetacheese
Dec 12, 2000
Just posting to say that MasterClub's panzer ii tracks are the worst product I've encountered in my short tenure in this hobby so far. Officially giving up on them and am gonna use the loving rubber bands that came with the kit.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Ensign Expendable posted:

Looks amazing, it's interesting to see that there is more detail in that kit in some places than in my 1:16 Panzer IV.

Thanks. I probably could've gone wild with adding wiring, hoses, etc, but the OOB build is challenging enough in and of itself. I've got RFM's Sheman 76 and Tiger 1 interior kits on the shelf too and I anticipate them being every bit as challenging and rewarding as this one. They really go hog wild with the parts count on this thing. Things like the engine and bow gun alone were small kits unto themselves.

boba fetacheese posted:

Just posting to say that MasterClub's panzer ii tracks are the worst product I've encountered in my short tenure in this hobby so far. Officially giving up on them and am gonna use the loving rubber bands that came with the kit.

Go on. :munch:

On an unrelated note, I found a great little thing on Reddit this morning. Someone is putting together virtual 40's radio playlists on Spotify complete with real vintage radio ads interspersed with his own old-timey, period-relevant newscasts. Each playlist represents a particular month. They started in December 1940 and are up to April 1941. It's great accompaniment to building WWII models. I'm not affiliated with them in any way, but here's the link for March of '41. Green Valley Radio, by artist KRNR 93.9 https://greenvalleyradio.com/

Chuck_D fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 18, 2021

boba fetacheese
Dec 12, 2000

• I swear the dimensions of the pinholes are off - maybe 10% of the tracks I got through I was able to just slide the pins in without having to drill both tracks so they actually align
  • The resin pins look fine until you have to force them in the last 1/2 mm. Also since they're resin and so small static electricity makes them stick to everything.
  • Casting issues - not just extra flash or holes that need to be drilled but missing chunks out of the tracks
  • The tracks themselves are too delicate even on the ones with no casting issues. I've made it though ~40 tracks and already have 8 that are no beuno... the kit came with 240 links and IIRC a pzii is 116/side, so unless the rest go perfectly I will be short.

I dunno the reviews I saw online for some of their other tracks were all positive - but they were all beefier tanks/tracks so maybe the pzii is just an anomaly amongst their line?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Gewehr 43 posted:

After months of long, slow progress, I am finally able to show something concrete on my latest project. This is the Rye Field Model Panzer IV J w/interior kit (#5043). Despite it's complexity, the kit's engineering is really solid. I've hit a few issues here and there, but generally it's been because of stuff I overlooked or just flat out put together wrong. All I can say is that it's an extremely complex kit with an insane parts count, so if you try to tackle it, just go very slowly and ensure you're putting everything together correctly before committing it to glued permanence.

Anyway, pretty happy with how this has turned out so far. The plan is to leave the upper hull plate dry fit so that it can be lifted off to expose the interior, else you'll see precisely nothing of the interior and all the work that went into it. Fortunately, the upper hull plate fits really well and sits very presentably without any glue.

I live in fear of starting their Easy 8 interior kit, but you're doing a great job.

This isn't a function of anything you've done or about the kit, but I'm always struck how scale shell casings look almost identical to .22 brass.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Deck planking is laid down, and the grating fitted. The grate can be removed for now, as the next step is to go in and give the planks a good sanding. Then to punch in some fake nail-heads next to butt joints on the planks, a light stain, and then a coat or two of poly.

Here you can see a closer shot of the thin walnut strip used between the planks to simulate the cord/pitch/caulking. Sits a little proud of the planks, so the sanding will bring this down to sit level with the plank surface.

Next up, outer and inner hull planking!

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Apr 19, 2021

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Deck planking is laid down, and the grating fitted. The grate can be removed for now, as the next step is to go in and give the planks a good sanding. Then to punch in some fake nail-heads next to butt joints on the planks, a light stain, and then a coat or two of poly.

Here you can see a closer shot of the thin walnut strip used between the planks to simulate the cord/pitch/caulking. Sits a little proud of the planks, so the sanding will bring this down to sit level with the plank surface.

Next up, outer and inner hull planking!

Looking good, but I've got a dumb question - why didn't you put the simulated caulking between the butt ends of the planks also?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

The Locator posted:

Looking good, but I've got a dumb question - why didn't you put the simulated caulking between the butt ends of the planks also?

The butt ends are fake, just scribed lines in the surface of the planks which stretch the length of the deck. There are only three real support points to attach the planking to, so if the planks had actually been sawn up and laid down in patterned sections, many would have very little or no supports beneath them. Obviously not feasible.

No worries though, as once I get the sanding done, put a little pencil line down in the scribed lines, stain and poly, it will be virtually impossible to tell the joints are fake. The deck is also packed with stuff once the kit is complete, so that hides any crimes even further.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The butt ends are fake, just scribed lines in the surface of the planks which stretch the length of the deck. There are only three real support points to attach the planking to, so if the planks had actually been sawn up and laid down in patterned sections, many would have very little or no supports beneath them. Obviously not feasible.

No worries though, as once I get the sanding done, put a little pencil line down in the scribed lines, stain and poly, it will be virtually impossible to tell the joints are fake. The deck is also packed with stuff once the kit is complete, so that hides any crimes even further.

Ah, cool. Figures that they would scrimp on the supports so you couldn't do it with actual individual planks though.. heh..

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Finally pushed myself into doing something on a day off

Quick and easy build, but I predict problems with the vinyl tracks

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
That's a great starter kit. For vinyl tracks, I suggest not gluing on the sprocket and then sliding it on with the track. I generally avoid them in favor of link to link though.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I decided I wanted to feel grossly inadequate so I watched Plasmo's new ship vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXJGbDPWD8k

Dude performs microsurgery on matchhead sized PE parts.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Apr 20, 2021

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Carth Dookie posted:

I decided I wanted to feel grossly inadequate so I watched Plasmo's new ship vid:

Goddamn it, I have a 1:700 Yamato kit and I was already too scared to work on it....

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Dang. I spent last night assembling the mesh screen Schürzen for the Panzer IV. In doing so, it's become clear that there's no way I'm going to be able to leave hull top plate removable. The bracketry for the skirts connects in too many different places that it will be nigh impossible to remove the hull top plate without first taking the skirts themselves apart. I don't really want to do an exploded view with clear acrylic rod, so I guess I'll just have to suck it up and glue the whole thing together. At least I got pictures of the interior beforehand. :(

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Carth Dookie posted:

After he built that first AA gun, then said he had to build 25 more, that was my "oh hell no" moment.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Gewehr 43 posted:

Dang. I spent last night assembling the mesh screen Schürzen for the Panzer IV. In doing so, it's become clear that there's no way I'm going to be able to leave hull top plate removable. The bracketry for the skirts connects in too many different places that it will be nigh impossible to remove the hull top plate without first taking the skirts themselves apart. I don't really want to do an exploded view with clear acrylic rod, so I guess I'll just have to suck it up and glue the whole thing together. At least I got pictures of the interior beforehand. :(

Have you thought about magnetizing the skirt?

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Gewehr 43 posted:

Let me tell you about the radio operator's station on my 1/72 nd B-36. It'll have to be thousands of word, because there are no pictures. :(

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Ensign Expendable posted:

That's a great starter kit. For vinyl tracks, I suggest not gluing on the sprocket and then sliding it on with the track. I generally avoid them in favor of link to link though.

I found some individual link tracks on ebay, but a set of them costs twice as much as the original model.

I've already glued the sprocket too, so we'll see what I can make work.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Carth Dookie posted:

This video is a good reminder for me to stick to 1:48 scale, thanks. :v:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I could just about fit a 1/48 Yamato in my living/dining room, if we didn't mind sitting on the deck instead of a couch

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Phy posted:

I could just about fit a 1/48 Yamato in my living/dining room, if we didn't mind sitting on the deck instead of a couch

The scale definitely factors into your choice of subject!

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

grassy gnoll posted:

Have you thought about magnetizing the skirt?

Great suggestion and something that hadn't crossed my mind at all. I'll give it some thought, but I'm struggling with how I could make this work too.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

You can get micro-magnets for cheap on aliexpress. Then you just drill holes on strategic places and glue them in. You can get as small as 0.5mm.

Just make sure the magnets face the right way before gluing them to save yourself a lot of frustration.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Yeah, shockingly small magnets can hold up surprisingly big pieces of plastic toy. https://www.kjmagnetics.com/ are the folks I order from when I magnetize a miniature.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Mini magnets are also nice to attach sprockets on tanks without fixing them permanently.

boba fetacheese
Dec 12, 2000
ALL I POST ABOUT IS TRACKS

Started building an IS2 and am using R-Model tracks. They're amazing. Great casting, havent had to do any drilling, and they come with metal pins that work and look good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Looks like Bandai finally decided to make something new:

https://bandai-hobby.net/item/4465/