Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

spankmeister posted:

Imagine being scared of computers.

i think it's safe to say anyone it# isn't afraid of computers. we just hate them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

https://twitter.com/migueldeicaza/status/1382502870851936266?s=20

They’re already taking about replacing GNU user land with BSD. It’s funny that they somehow let FreeBSD languish as they pumped money into the Linux project, which they will turn into a worse BSD that’s like 20% proprietary binary blobs.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Why not just switch to windows if they hate free software?

Edit: he literally works at Microsoft lmfao

xtal fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 17, 2021

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

xtal posted:

Why not just switch to windows if they hate free software?

Edit: he literally works at Microsoft lmfao

He's one of the founders of GNOME, started Mono, and co-founded Ximian/Xamarin, which got acquired by Microsoft.

He also exclusively runs MacOS.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
So a person who wrote a bunch of notoriously crap software and then sold out, got it. Let me follow them now.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
im going the other way and switching to Debian GNU/kFreeBSD

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

xtal posted:

So a person who wrote a bunch of notoriously crap software and then sold out, got it. Let me follow them now.

The guy that made YOS a POS

pram
Jun 10, 2001

xtal posted:

lol

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

xtal posted:

you couldn't make this poo poo up lmao

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

infernal machines posted:

it probably still decides it has ownership of the bootloader in EFI and will just do whatever to that. i haven't had to deal with multiple os partitions on a single drive in ages, definitely since windows 8 when they changed the bootloader around.

windows never had any idea what to do with grub, so you always had to chain bootloaders. in theory, on multiple drives at least, it's simpler since now your motherboard's EFI should just see the bootloader entries on each drive and you can choose them through the EFI boot menu

A Windows update, in addition to resetting all my audio settings like usual, also re-enabled secure boot.

The problem: Windows was not the EFI boot entry, but my own unsigned Grub was. So I came back to a non-booting PC, had to figure out what the gently caress Windows did wrong this time…then wait 4 hours (ON SSD) for it to fail to apply another update, reboot, rollback, reboot…then redo all my audio settings, tell each application which is the real microphone I want to use, no don't play music via the microphone monitor output jack…

I only endure this for one single game and holy gently caress is it infuriating. Dealing with pulseaudio is less infuriating than this.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
you're loading it wrong

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Pulseaudio is a pain in the dick but at least it's scriptable and the parameters are only sort of archaic and insane.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
also, for a while, updates in windows server 2012r2 and 2016 would fail to apply if you had secure boot enabled. the fix at the time was to reboot, disable secure boot, install the updates, then reboot again and re-enable secure boot. it would, as you noted, take an hour or more for the update process to fail, for reasons that were never entirely clear.

also, if you had on-premises exchange, you had to disable the exchange services before applying updates in exchange 2013 and 2016 on server 2012r2 and 2016 because the service load order would cause the updates to fail during the next boot if you didn't.

windows is a pos

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
Now, if you recall when this happened, was it before or after they fired everybody in a QA role? "2016" feels after.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it was indeed after

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

What quality is left to assure in NT these days, anyways?

pram
Jun 10, 2001

what the!

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

shoeberto posted:

Pulseaudio is a pain in the dick but at least it's scriptable and the parameters are only sort of archaic and insane.

pulseaudio is one foot in the grave :rip:

usurped by pipewire

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

laying pipewire

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

The_Franz posted:

pulseaudio is one foot in the grave :rip:

usurped by pipewire

Interesting, sounds like my bluetooth earbuds are gonna be usable for work calls soon*

* around 2027

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
hey chloe, open a socket on your machine so I can connect my pipewire to your lv2 plugins, thx.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

so is this gonna be like wayland but for sound?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

mawarannahr posted:

That's actually a great way to put it

In fact I'm pretty sure Wayland's design is part of the reason that Pipewire does audio and video instead of just audio

pram
Jun 10, 2001
why uh, do you need sound on a server

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

mawarannahr posted:

Kind of the opposite actually. It's how you will be able to do screen (and desktop audio) capture on Wayland, so it's more like a version of pulseaudio that can also handle video streams (hence pulseaudio for Wayland).

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

pram posted:

why uh, do you need sound on a server

i bet someone desperately wants to do vdi using linux for some reason

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

bring back the pc speaker to play error tones when something goes wrong

like when a raid device fails or the ecc ram corrects stuff

but it's like the jaunty tones you get from a korean appliance or something

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

sb hermit posted:

bring back the pc speaker to play error tones when something goes wrong

like when a raid device fails or the ecc ram corrects stuff

but it's like the jaunty tones you get from a korean appliance or something

A lot of motherboards have the header. You can buy a little PC speaker with the dupont connectors to put on it. My tower lets everyone in the room know when I just hold down the backspace key in a terminal.

SYSV Fanfic fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 19, 2021

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Debian project voted

A lot of motherboards have the header. You can buy a little PC speaker with the dupont connectors to put on it. My tower lets everyone in the room know when I just hold down the backspace key in a terminal.

yeah but I'm not talking about the simple beeps you get from a GE microwave. I'm talking about a good 25 second Samsung chime that gets you humming.

You hear a butchered version of patchelbel's canon in d, you get prepared for a hot swap

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

sb hermit posted:

yeah but I'm not talking about the simple beeps you get from a GE microwave. I'm talking about a good 25 second Samsung chime that gets you humming.

You hear a butchered version of patchelbel's canon in d, you get prepared for a hot swap

The stuff that makes your kitchen seem like it's out of a disney movie... Sounds like a good first kernel hack for someone...

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

SYSV Fanfic posted:

The stuff that makes your kitchen seem like it's out of a disney movie... Sounds like a good first kernel hack for someone...

just do it in userspace

no need to implement any of that in the kernel

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

coward

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
why isn't sndio more widely used? too sane for linux?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
just open /dev/dsp, use ioctl to load a program on the 56001, and then use ioctl to tell the program where your compressed buffer is to DMA from in main RAM

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

why can't i just cat a file directly to the sound device?

pram
Jun 10, 2001

:hmmyes:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

you can

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

oh no

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

I just did this with a text file of the Necronomicon and it transported me directly to hell thanks yospos :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

good. that's the true unix way