Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Quackles posted:

May I recommend Skim? I stopped reading Preview a while back for similar reasons.
Thanks! I'll give this a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

So when can I run CEMU on my M1 Mini so I can play altered Breath of The Wild on it?

Not at the moment because Parallels advertises OpenGL 3.x support and CEMU will only work with OpenGL 4.5 and up.. Microsoft has an optional Windows ARM OpenGL compatibility layer but once again only is OpenGL 3.3 and lower..

However.. maybe wait a few months? See below..

https://mobile.twitter.com/daeken/status/1340777743244509196

There is a developer who has yuzu running on an M1 using nothing but the built in hypervisor framework.. still being worked on though..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 15, 2021

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Can anyone recommend an Edge/chrome extension that blocks websites during specific times? Working from home has led to losing a lot of time on social media :(

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Sri.Theo posted:

Can anyone recommend an Edge/chrome extension that blocks websites during specific times? Working from home has led to losing a lot of time on social media :(
Paid: Cold Turkey
Free: Self Control

Main difference IIRC is the amount of granularity you get with timers and multiple blocklists.

I guess for completeness I’ll also mention Freedom as it’s the mainstream popular option but it just gave me a lot of hassle when I tried it

E: All of these are system-wide and should be browser-agnostic

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

TACD posted:

Paid: Cold Turkey
Free: Self Control

Main difference IIRC is the amount of granularity you get with timers and multiple blocklists.

I guess for completeness I’ll also mention Freedom as it’s the mainstream popular option but it just gave me a lot of hassle when I tried it

E: All of these are system-wide and should be browser-agnostic

Thanks, Cold Turkey seems pricey but it has a free trial I'll check out. They others look a little user unfriendly.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Quackles posted:

May I recommend Skim? I stopped reading Preview a while back for similar reasons.

Am I seeing this right that it basically uses its own type of notes that cannot be read by other pdf viewers? I tried to use this to open a previously annotated pdf and could not open the comments until I converted them to 'Skim notes', at which point preview could not see any of the notes anymore.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

LPG Giant posted:

Am I seeing this right that it basically uses its own type of notes that cannot be read by other pdf viewers? I tried to use this to open a previously annotated pdf and could not open the comments until I converted them to 'Skim notes', at which point preview could not see any of the notes anymore.

I don't really use the notes functionality, so I couldn't tell you.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
So I just heard ARM Macs won't run unsigned code, like, at all. I don't know how to feel about that.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Small White Dragon posted:

So I just heard ARM Macs won't run unsigned code, like, at all. I don't know how to feel about that.

I don’t think this is actually true. I’ve never had a single issue.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Small White Dragon posted:

This is true but anyone can have signed it. It's not tied in with Apple's notarization systems - not directly, anyway.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Is there a Mac equivalent to NVIDIA's ShadowPlay? Something that is constantly recording and will save a predetermined chunk of video to my drive via a keybind.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

So got Big Sur 11.3 RC installed, feels pretty final.. audio streaming to my HomePod speaker now perfectly syncs with internet TV in Safari. And this is on a bog standard Late 201313-inch rMBP..

No changes to BootROM but I think there was an update earlier in the betas that they're sticking with.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Binary Badger posted:

Apple should try to use whatever leverage they have with Microsoft to get them to eventually allow the release version of Windows 10 ARM to run on VMs like Parallels.

it'll only provide mo' money for them from M1 sales..

Here to tell you there ain't no leverage directly, there. They might know who to call to get gears turning but they're not going to be twisting anyone's ear over there, monetarily.

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

I LOVE BIG WET CROROCDILE PUSSYT

Thoughts? I'm currently running High Sierra (10.13.6) and trying to upgrade to Mojave only so I don't lose access to my 32-bit apps. However, using any of the links from this page opens the app store and redirects me to the front page with no download in sight, except when I use the link to Big Sur. Also, at this page, there's no update for straight Mojave (10.14), only updates to 10.14.1, which has a system requirement of 10.14, lmao.

I have not done any updates through the app store in years because, despite using Apple products, I hate them and I hate their philosophy of "gently caress up the good and useful features and give you a bunch of lovely features no one cares about." Does Big Sur suck as much rear end as I have read? Is it worth it to abandon the 32-bit apps I use? And what the f*** is going on with my app store?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Have you tried downloading the installer from here? https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211683

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

SourKraut posted:

Have you tried downloading the installer from here? https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211683

Yes, they linked that page in the OP

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Big Sur is great and you should stop using old, outdated, insecure software.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

FCKGW posted:

Big Sur is great and you should stop using old, outdated, insecure software.

Seriously, this. Save yourself the headache and just jump onboard. It’s great.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I've been calling it Big Turd

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

snailshell posted:

Thoughts? I'm currently running High Sierra (10.13.6) and trying to upgrade to Mojave only so I don't lose access to my 32-bit apps. However, using any of the links from this page opens the app store and redirects me to the front page with no download in sight, except when I use the link to Big Sur. Also, at this page, there's no update for straight Mojave (10.14), only updates to 10.14.1, which has a system requirement of 10.14, lmao.

I have not done any updates through the app store in years because, despite using Apple products, I hate them and I hate their philosophy of "gently caress up the good and useful features and give you a bunch of lovely features no one cares about." Does Big Sur suck as much rear end as I have read? Is it worth it to abandon the 32-bit apps I use? And what the f*** is going on with my app store?

Apple doesn't seem to test the user experience for people trying to stay behind the times, it breaks frequently.

Fortunately the downloads are still available, and people have created tools to work around the UI breakage. You can use the installinstallmacos.py script to download a macOS version of your choice. I'd get the latest version of Mojave, then use these instructions to create a bootable USB installer from the app. A USB install stick should give no fucks about what OS you start from, since you're booting into the same version you're installing.

Catalina is the one people had lots of problems with. I skipped it, but Big Sur has been fine in my experience. Not perfect, I don't really love all the visual style updates, but it runs well.

If you plan to stay in this love/hate relationship with Apple, you're gonna have to rip off the 32-bit bandaid at some point. Apple Menu -> About This Mac -> System Report -> Software -> Applications will give you a list of all your apps, with a sortable "Kind" column that should show which ones are 32-bi.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

American McGay posted:

Big Slur

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

I LOVE BIG WET CROROCDILE PUSSYT
Thanks all for the advice, I updated to Big Sur and found replacements/updates for some of the 32-bit apps I was reluctant to let go of (I had already found the system report and had a huge quantity of 32-bit stuff, which is why I didn't want to update lol). The app store issue completely fixed itself as well. I'm sure its brain had just been fried by my clicking "update tomorrow" for years.

Big Sur does suck rear end and looks like a box of Duplos, but at least you can turn off a majority of the lovely features that you can't in iOS and Spotlight works well again. Such is modern life

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

In Big Sur, I'd like to resize windows so they extend to the bottom of the screen, without minimizing them. In the OS X days I could move the dock to the right side of the desktop and then vertically resize them all the way down, but now I can't. Is there a setting to go back to the old behavior?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

In Big Sur, I'd like to resize windows so they extend to the bottom of the screen, without minimizing them. In the OS X days I could move the dock to the right side of the desktop and then vertically resize them all the way down, but now I can't. Is there a setting to go back to the old behavior?

You need to be more specific about why you can't because none of this has changed in Big Sur. To change the Dock's location, right click on the divider in the dock and find the setting in the menus, or open System Prefs and go to "Dock & Menu Bar".

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

BobHoward posted:

You need to be more specific about why you can't because none of this has changed in Big Sur. To change the Dock's location, right click on the divider in the dock and find the setting in the menus, or open System Prefs and go to "Dock & Menu Bar".

Yeah, I was being stupid and thinking I still couldn't resize the window to the bottom of the screen, even when the Dock was moved to the left side. I got it to work like I wanted now.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

American McGay posted:

macOS BDSM - “Big Sir”

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

i kinda love big sur tbh

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

rufius posted:

macOS BDSM - “Big Sir”
I am uncomfortably reminded of those anime girl avatars somebody created for every OS

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS-tan

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Mia Wasikowska posted:

i kinda love big sur tbh

I was a little iffy about some of it for a while but just like most apple things lately it’s very, very good. With some settings tweaks it’s a wonderfully minimal out of the way but efficient OS.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Hiding the proxy icon was a loving idiot move but the rest of big sur has kinda grown on me. It’s even been pretty stable

Happy Pizza Guy
Jun 24, 2004

"Yeah, it was incredible, the drugs, the sex, the all-night parties. I really miss that Shining Time Station."
Grimey Drawer

Granite Octopus posted:

Hiding the proxy icon was a loving idiot move but the rest of big sur has kinda grown on me. It’s even been pretty stable

Still annoyed by title bar proxy icons being hidden, but my other big annoyance is now covered by Bartender 4 (ridiculous menubar icon spacing).

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

💩💩💩 Big Sur 11.3 has been pushed out 💩💩💩

includes optimizations for M1s, AirTag support, malware fixes

💩💩💩 For Catalina Macs 💩💩💩

macOS Catalina Security Update 2021-002

The usual undocumented security patches guaranteed to be the latest that 10.15.x needs

Updates macOS 10.15.7 to build 19H1030

BootROM updates for most machines

Safari 14.1

Apple posted:

Safari 14.1 includes improvements and bug fixes.
• Start Page section order can now be customized
• Additional WebExtensions API lets developers offer extensions that replace the new tab page
• Web Speech API lets developers incorporate speech recognition into their web pages for real-time captioning, dictation, and voice navigation
• WebM and Vorbis video and audio format support
• Fixes an issue where iCloud Tabs do not appear in Safari.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Apr 26, 2021

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

WebM and Vorbis video and audio format support

Yay. Is this feature on Catalina too, or Big Sur only...?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Last Chance posted:

Yay. Is this feature on Catalina too, or Big Sur only...?

Both the updates I mentioned show up as separate, distinct updates on Macs running Catalina sooooooo......

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Wonder if that includes WebP too

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Just visited a page with WebP samples and nope nope

BTW, people who upgraded to iOS / iPad OS 14.5 on their requisite devices should note that if you hook it up to your Mac with the usual USB to Lightning cable, it will ask to download a new batch of software so you can access them.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Just installed the current patch on my m1 macbook and it crashed and rebooted while I plugging and unplugging a usb-c monitor, trying to get it to detect my keyboard :woop:

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I'm the guy who needed my OS to add Ogg Vorbis in 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I'm the guy who needed my OS to add Ogg Vorbis in 2021

Did they finally add that? Can QuickTime .etc natively play back Ogg now?

edit: No.

Small White Dragon fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Apr 27, 2021