Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Still laughing about this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

https://twitter.com/kroolkountry/status/1375827869763395593?s=21

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

"It's the Muppet Showwwwwwwwww! With our very special guest star... Kaptain King K. Rool!! Yayyyyyyyyyyyy!!"

*episode is removed from Disney Plus following certain accusations against the puppeteer that make the All Baby Band toe tickling sketch too uncomfortable to watch*

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

A Kong to surpass Lanky....

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I just finished SM64 with 120 stars and it kicked rear end.

I'm listening to the soundtrack now and thinking about the different levels.

01. Bob-Omb Battlefield: Iconic, and still a lot of fun. Nice use of the cannons and wing cap.
02. Whomp's Fortress: I really liked the look of this one. Challenging but fair.
03. Jolly Roger Bay: I think the best water level. Sunken ship, the creepy eel, the music...
04. Cool Cool Mountain: I loved how vertical and multi-dimensional this level is. Took a bit to beat the penguin on the race.
05. Big Boo's Haunt: Ghosts are awesome so this level was an easy win for me. The piano, the bookshelves, the eyes were nicely spooky.
06. Hazy Maze Cave: Not super consistent thematically, and 100 coins was a pain.
07. Lethal Lava Land: I loved how open this world is, and surfing on the lava is so cool.
08. Shifting Sand Land: Less fun than the lava. The interior of the pyramid had some frustrating stars and the quicksand sucks!
09. Dire Dire Docks: I liked the red coins on the poles, but this level was pretty bleh. Extremely tight coin count.
10. Snowman's Land: Feels like you explore less of this one than Cool Cool Mountain. Forgettable.
11. Wet Dry World: I liked the gimmick of raising and lowering the water. Relaxed vibes.
12. Tall Tall Mountain: Pretty lame. The monkeys are complete assholes.
13. Tall Huge Island: Cool concept, but it doesn't do much with the size-changing. Getting your rear end kicked by tiny Goombas is humiliating!
14. Tick Tock Clock: Awesome idea, one of the hardest levels in the game. Camera is a constant issue.
15. Rainbow Ride: 100 coins was a huge ordeal on this one with so many ways to die. Getting the wall jumps for blue coins took a while.

Anyway I might play Sunshine or Galaxy at some point but I don't think I'd go for 100%. This was special because it was my first videogame and I love N64 graphics but I don't think I would be as dedicated to the other games.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

lethal lava land was a sleeper hit for me when i replayed it because i didn't remember liking it back in the day, but it was fun all these years later.

i know everyone loves wet dry world but i think it's one of the worst ones. the underwater city part is okay, but it's so separated from the rest of the stage, and the first part is kind of a big, bland empty space whose gimmick is just waiting to get tossed for most of it. that and dire dire docks are definitely bottom tier for mario 64.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

lethal lava land was a sleeper hit for me when i replayed it because i didn't remember liking it back in the day, but it was fun all these years later.

i know everyone loves wet dry world but i think it's one of the worst ones. the underwater city part is okay, but it's so separated from the rest of the stage, and the first part is kind of a big, bland empty space whose gimmick is just waiting to get tossed for most of it. that and dire dire docks are definitely bottom tier for mario 64.

Yeah it took awhile for me to get to the city and there's only two stars there. I'm sure it was a holy poo poo moment if you just discovered it on your own in 1996 but I had heard about it so it wasn't a surprise.

Some of the Secret Stars are a pain, most obviously the second Wing Cap one. The first Bowser star gave me some trouble.

Also it makes me look like a huge baby but the final Bowser fight was an ordeal, I never figured out a good trick for aiming the throws. It just felt like luck but I know the pros have it down.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I know they're not really considered levels but I think the Bowser levels might be my favorite in the entire game. Just some straightforward challenging platforming with a clear destination and some minor exploration for the red coins, all topped off with a killer soundtrack.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

American McGay posted:

I know they're not really considered levels but I think the Bowser levels might be my favorite in the entire game. Just some straightforward challenging platforming with a clear destination and some minor exploration for the red coins, all topped off with a killer soundtrack.
they're a good example of "exam levels", a test of what you've learned so far to make sure you're paying attention

come to think of it, nintendo does exam levels a lot, and they're typically pretty good at it. also final exam levels like grand master galaxy, but those are mostly designed to hurt people who delve too deep into the post-game.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The Kins posted:

they're a good example of "exam levels", a test of what you've learned so far to make sure you're paying attention

come to think of it, nintendo does exam levels a lot, and they're typically pretty good at it. also final exam levels like grand master galaxy, but those are mostly designed to hurt people who delve too deep into the post-game.
I wish the requirements for those levels were a bit laxer, I want to do the final level in Mario 3D World but I think you need like every stamp, every big coin and a flagpole crown on every single level and gently caress that

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

American McGay posted:

Yeah those levels are really good. I feel like there's a nice level of difficulty given the lack of checkpoints. It's tough but not too punishing.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Kins posted:

i actually think mario final exam levels are designed to give you a grand tour of what you've done, all together and in one place, as a kind of difficult celebration before putting the game away.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I didn't like Odyssey enough to get through Darkest Side, unfortunately. I would have done it with some checkpoints, even if they were sparse, but I kept getting annoyed with the lava jumping stuff and gave up.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I didn't like Odyssey enough to get through Darkest Side, unfortunately. I would have done it with some checkpoints, even if they were sparse, but I kept getting annoyed with the lava jumping stuff and gave up.

lol

lol

Fiend Matador
Feb 19, 2011

Smirking_Serpent posted:

:goofy:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The lava jumping stuff is literally the second part, lol.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
odyssey is the easiest mario game ever made and if you cant get thru darker side youre a noob sorry to say

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Yeah don't get me wrong, I'm generally trash at platformers. I liked Odyssey and SM64 for the exploration, so I'm not sure if I would be into the other ones as much.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

darker side honestly isn't even in like the top 5 hardest moons to get in odyssey IMO. i think the rabbit boss gauntlet, that one in dark side with the bullet bills, the tank one with the timed platforms, jump rope and volleyball are all harder.

i don't typically like gauntlet levels because most of them feel like a bunch of easy stuff you have to slog through to get to that one hard part, but darker side does a great job of having mostly even difficulty across the whole thing. it feels like a challenge without being too hard, and it's great if it's the last moon you do because of cappy's nice little comments.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Darker Side really frontloads the difficulty imo, the lava bit with the moving walls and a couple of points around it are pretty hard, but I think once I'd beaten the gliding area I got it all in one go

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

darker side honestly isn't even in like the top 5 hardest moons to get in odyssey IMO. i think the rabbit boss gauntlet, that one in dark side with the bullet bills, the tank one with the timed platforms, jump rope and volleyball are all harder.

i don't typically like gauntlet levels because most of them feel like a bunch of easy stuff you have to slog through to get to that one hard part, but darker side does a great job of having mostly even difficulty across the whole thing. it feels like a challenge without being too hard, and it's great if it's the last moon you do because of cappy's nice little comments.

Cappy was a cool sidekick, I felt like he was chipper and enthusiastic without being annoying.

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

i quit playing at the rabbid boss rush because you've already fought each of them several times at that point.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Frenz posted:

i quit playing at the rabbid boss rush because you've already fought each of them several times at that point.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I love Mario Odyssey

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

NienNunb posted:

I love Mario Odyssey

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the rabbid boss rush was definitely front-loaded. the first dude sends out an insane amount of bouncing hats and youre bound to take some hits, but all the other bosses are a joke.

my complaints about mario odyssey boil down to "i wish there was more" lol, its a great game and I didnt want it to end

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

extremebuff posted:

the rabbid boss rush was definitely front-loaded. the first dude sends out an insane amount of bouncing hats and youre bound to take some hits, but all the other bosses are a joke.

This

extremebuff posted:

my complaints about mario odyssey boil down to "i wish there was more" lol, its a great game and I didnt want it to end

And this for sure

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I still largely hate the world designs but hell there's so many of those little Galaxyesque sub-areas that I can't really complain that much. I just want more of that for a sequel.

Ruffini
Oct 2, 2018

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

NienNunb posted:

I love Mario Odyssey

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I wonder what the next Mario game is going to be.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

In Training posted:

I wonder what the next Mario game is going to be.

Great.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

NienNunb posted:

I love Mario Odyssey

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I was kind of hoping for an Odyssey 2 in the vein of Galaxy 2