Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Oh gently caress forgot about space mutiny. Just that last burst of "acting" loving kills me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFMwe-NPLyQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

cubicle gangster posted:

Can anyone share or reccomend something from mst3k?

I see it mentioned a lot but any time I've tried to watch a bit, of which there is too much to know what's good, it's been pretty ropey.
That rifftrax meet mrs swenson preview they are pushing is rough.

The Final Sacrifice is my favorite, although Werewolf is a very close second.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

There are a lot of great episodes, but I'm having a hard time coming up with an entry point episode other than "Space Mutiny" in terms of broad appeal. I like "The Magic Voyage of Sinbad" and "Overdrawn at the Memory Bank" but I wouldn't say they're the best episodes out there.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

The first three I usually recommend to people are Space Mutiny, Prince of Space, and Werewolf.

Maybe Zombie Nightmare since that one has a couple actors people might actually recognize (Adam West and Tia Carrere).

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Excuse me, but it's "Warwilf."

Rotten
May 21, 2002

As a shadow I walk in the land of the dead
Deathstalker is amazing (other than the skits)
https://youtu.be/L1FyplOl0XU

Outlaw of Gor is also amazing
https://youtu.be/WkgyvgG2fXs

I'll shut up now.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I would say Pod People is a pretty good first episode. Great bad movie, on point and hilarious riffs, and some of the best skits out there.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Werewolf, Mitchell, and Final Justice are so good. Also, Mitchell (a joe don baker movie) was Joel’s final episode, while Final Justice (a joe don baker movie) was Mike’s final episode.

GERONIMO :argh:

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
Puma Man is just nonstop gold too. That was my first episode, on GBSTV no less.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Time Chasers is one of my all time favorites

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

mysterious frankie posted:

IMO, Prince of Space. The writing at that point was down to a science and the movie itself is a treat if you like goofy old Japanese sci-fi with questionable translations.

Prince of Space is a loving CLASSIC

I'd also recommend The Giant Spider Invasion, Jack Frost, The Girl in Gold Boots, or pretty much any episode from Season 8 on because that's when Bill Corbett (Crow #2) joined.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Time Chasers is one of my all time favorites

i like the films that are almost watchable on their own. some of the worst mst3k episodes are poverty row slogfests of just dull scripts shot in black and white as crap filler during the 50s. its real hard to make movies that boring into something funny. the coleman francis trilogy is interesting because of how much these films openly hate their audience, they're films that double dog dare you to watch them

on the other hand, the best episodes are films which aren't exactly good, but at least watchable. films that move forward, things happen, events take place in sequential order and make a minimum of sense. time chasers brushes against being actually decent. like its not a great movie but it was made by literally a 19 year old kid in rural vermont on a poo poo budget and honestly, its not that bad. its nowhere near good but it is entertaining at least which is the bare minimum of what a film needs to be

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
I'd echo Pumaman and Space Mutiny, and add Deathstalker II and Cave Dwellers. For a short, I'd pick A Date With Your Family.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Hh4M4vipAo

Xotl fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Apr 17, 2021

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

IMO, Prince of Space. The writing at that point was down to a science and the movie itself is a treat if you like goofy old Japanese sci-fi with questionable translations.

My favorite episode, along with Space Mutiny, Mitchell and Final Sacrifice. Shout out to Overdrawn at the Memory Bank also. Mitchell is truly stunning but it's probably better after watching a bit of the sci-fi stuff first, since it's so awfully droll.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
Some of the dubbed foreign movies they did have a legit production value to them and are kinda rad, namely the Russo-Finnish fantasy movies like The Sword and the Dragon which has hundreds of people on horseback.

The worst episode I can think of is The Starfighters, which is mostly stock footage of planes refuelling and pilots eating at a restaurant and swimming.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Invasion of the Neptune Men is inferior to Prince of Space in every way except for the scene with the Hitler building which instantly catapults it into classic territory.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Also, the MST3K movie, which underlying movie is “This Island Earth” is probably the best

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Sourdough Sam posted:

Puma Man is just nonstop gold too. That was my first episode, on GBSTV no less.

Thirding pumaman episode.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

I've always been an absolute sucker for the 70's movies. I think maybe because the 70's themselves were just so cheesy to begin with, the movies from that era just lend themselves perfectly to what MST3k does. Avalanche is probably my favorite from the new series. Code Name: Diamondhead and San Francisco International (both failed TV pilots) are really underrated episodes and deserve more attention.

Captain Lavender posted:

Mary Jo and Bridgette Riff Trax are lowkey some of the best MST-like content bar none.
:hai:

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Gotta show up and represent for Laserblast. It was my first one and a memorable experience

Other good entry points, that haven't been mentioned:

Secret Agent Super Dragon
Riding With Death
Soul Taker
I Accuse My Parents
Santa Claus Conquers the Martians
Blood Waters of Dr Z
Squirm
Alien from LA

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

1redflag posted:

Also, the MST3K movie, which underlying movie is “This Island Earth” is probably the best

Cal: “Relocation? To where?”

“To your Earth”

Exeter: “A peaceful relocation!”

After the genocide of course

Apart from this one, most of the sci-fi movies are absolute torture and I’d never recommend them as someone’s first episode.

That would either be Riding With Death or one of the many shorts. You need fun characters who play off each other, like Zap and Troy, Tony and Vidignio, and Torgo and the world’s shittest dad.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

If you're not averse to Rifftrax, there's also a lot of good stuff in the same vein.

Like Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny. A completely batshit "christmas story" of Santa getting stuck on a beach in Florida, conveniently outside "Pirates' World", a defunct theme park.

He spends his time telling very cheaply made versions of public domain fairy tales to kids, until he is rescued by the Ice Cream Bunny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhXEVAuwXsI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_i4vVakMhIs

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Bogus Adventure posted:

Prince of Space is a loving CLASSIC

I'd also recommend The Giant Spider Invasion, Jack Frost, The Girl in Gold Boots, or pretty much any episode from Season 8 on because that's when Bill Corbett (Crow #2) joined.

I might be biased, since 97 was when my family got cable and I first started watching, but season 8 overall is maybe the most uniformly pleasing of the lot.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Animal-Mother posted:

Jonah is a schlub.

I think he's kinda cute tbh

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Oh, and --

https://www.twitch.tv/mst3k

https://www.twitch.tv/rifftrax

Free official MST3K and Rifftrax episodes 24/7.

(Right now the MST3K channel seems to be showing a Cinematic Titanic episode though)

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Sourdough Sam posted:

The worst episode I can think of is The Starfighters, which is mostly stock footage of planes refuelling and pilots eating at a restaurant and swimming.

An astonishing amount of nothing happens in this movie, truly the worst movie they riffed.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

i like the films that are almost watchable on their own. some of the worst mst3k episodes are poverty row slogfests of just dull scripts shot in black and white as crap filler during the 50s. its real hard to make movies that boring into something funny. the coleman francis trilogy is interesting because of how much these films openly hate their audience, they're films that double dog dare you to watch them

on the other hand, the best episodes are films which aren't exactly good, but at least watchable. films that move forward, things happen, events take place in sequential order and make a minimum of sense. time chasers brushes against being actually decent. like its not a great movie but it was made by literally a 19 year old kid in rural vermont on a poo poo budget and honestly, its not that bad. its nowhere near good but it is entertaining at least which is the bare minimum of what a film needs to be

Yeah, I think you're very right about there being movies that are just too dull even for MST3k/Rifftrax. Especially Rifftrax, because I know that while some people don't care for the puppet skits, I rather liked the occasional break to see Joel/Mike palling with the robots.

I think it's also possible for a movie to be too good for riffing, as I remember early in the Rifftrax run watching some and feeling like they really had to reach for jokes at times. Or maybe the writers just weren't as 'on' with the ones I watch, I dunno, it's been a long time now.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
The Eragon rifftrax is my favorite. The movie is just perfect for riffing on and they absolutely slay it.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
Maybe my taste is a bit off but the juxtaposition of riffs against bleak oldies always worked best for me like in High School Big Shot, The Girl in Lover's Lane and Leech Woman.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Sourdough Sam posted:

I used to play this episode when I was having trouble getting to sleep, because it was so claming that it was soothing and soporific.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I might be biased, since 97 was when my family got cable and I first started watching, but season 8 overall is maybe the most uniformly pleasing of the lot.

Yeah, I 100% agree. You got nuCrow and Pearl (and I loving LOVE Pearl as the mad). That's not to say the later seasons are bad, but 8 had a lot of hits while some of the later seasons made you sit through some stinkers like Blood Waters of Doctor Z and The Touch of Satan.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I recommend Rifftrax: Galaxy Invader and Cinematic Titanic: Alien Factor, both by director Don Dohler. They have a low-budget charm and what they lack in expertise they make up for with eagerness. They're also pretty watchable. Good for Time Chasers or Final Sacrifice fans.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
I always thought Devil Doll was the most underrated MST3k episode. It's a horrible movie, but The Great Vorelli's act is so bad I think it loops around to amazing. More of an episode to watch on a separate screen than something to actually pay attention to.

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
Mike funny joel sleepy

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Something I've always wondered... The way Donald Pleasance pronounces the word Puma in Puma Man. Is that the way English people generally pronounce that word? Pyuma? I can't remember hearing another person say it that way. Was Donald just loving with the director?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

SylvainMustach posted:

Maybe my taste is a bit off but the juxtaposition of riffs against bleak oldies always worked best for me like in High School Big Shot, The Girl in Lover's Lane and Leech Woman.

I've always felt MST3K pairs perfect with drive-in B-movies..

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

i wonder if there's beer on the sun

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Dachshundofdoom posted:

I always thought Devil Doll was the most underrated MST3k episode. It's a horrible movie, but The Great Vorelli's act is so bad I think it loops around to amazing. More of an episode to watch on a separate screen than something to actually pay attention to.

Devil Doll is great, and William Sylvester constantly providing exposition via phone along with, "Hello, hello!" is loving hilarious.

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine
Take yourself to Club Scum by watching the Hobgoblins episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Head you down to Gleason for Gleason Days and a Giant Spider Invasion of Savings at Menards!