Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

gay picnic defence posted:

It's probably the lack of effort that concerns people. Like, Norf is full of spuds and kids at the moment but they kinda have a crack at not being like witches hats.

Absolutely. I cant even begin to pinpoint it, Ratten is a pretty well liked coach from all I hear about him so what is the missing element.

Periphery posted:

Yeah, Ryder and Marshal in would be huge and will help all over the ground as they'll improve us in every part of the ground: The midfield will get better due to the ruck-work they provide and their individual clearance work, Marshal is a solid forward option and better than Carlisle, and they both help the defence out with their defensive running and also by providing a better option for a kick out of defence. I just don't know if they'll fix the issues we've been seeing.

Like you, I have no real idea what is going wrong. The effort clearly seems to be lacking a lot of the time but I also feel the structures/approach is wrong as well. But it's real hard to tell if that's just the lack of effort causing players to not get in the right spots in time or if they don't know where they are meant to be. hosed if I know.

Youre right that we are structurally all over the place at the moment with players basically having to fill in the wrong positions. Carlisle is really needed down back to take the 2nd tall and take the heat off Wilkie and Coffield and allow them to play smaller and both Ryder and Marshall are super important linking players who can take contested marks on the wing or at least get the ball over the boundary. Ryder is also a first class tap ruckman and Marshall a good tap ruckman who can also rove his own ball.

harperdc posted:

Just watched the game on replay, and yeah, it was a lot of getting overrun in midfield, mistakes, and bad ball use. I think there's just enough energy and skill missing from midfield (both rucks and runners - hi Gresham) to make the difference against a pissed off Richmond.

The midfield was deplorable in the effort to both win and hold up the ball. Hunter wasnt helping with sub par rucking but we were constantly being outpaced by players with no real extra speed on our own players. The middle was the one area where we genuinely had Richmond and just utterly failed at it.

To make matters worse, the online "saints community" is toxic as gently caress right now with a lot of dickheads contributing nothing but garbage. Apparently Hill's missus was engaging with some of them which probably wasnt a great idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Patton "retired". :byewhore:-thorne legend

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hill is a cream player, which I’m sure the saints knew before they got him. Maybe it will all come together but at this stage it just looks like they overestimated their team when recruiting him.

At the hawks he was protected by and fed by an extraordinary midfield. His running and disposal were essential to our success but those things don’t help a team that can’t win the football AND look after him.

At Ross Lyon’s Fremantle it was the same. He had big bodied inside bulls directed to protect him at all costs and do everything they could to feed him the ball.

He isn’t a ball winner, and he never has been. He is definitely being paid too much, though.

Edit: I’m saying I get why people are mad at how much he’s paid and how useless he looks but it isn’t entirely his fault.

realbez fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Apr 16, 2021

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

Solemn Sloth posted:

Spuds you say? Guess you could call them a pair of Crouch potatoes

Haha gotem boys

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Yeah I mean if someone plonked $800k a year to play footy at the best of my extremely limited ability I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Maybe it's similar to Essendon blowing a couple of first round picks on Shiel thinking we were close to pushing up the ladder when in reality it was a middling list with a mediocre coach.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Solemn Sloth posted:

Spuds you say? Guess you could call them a pair of Crouch potatoes

Big footy did not take that well

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Collingwood should extend Buckley’s contract at quarter time imo

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
Collingwood are taking an alarming amount of marks dead in front of goal

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Muyb come back to discord

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

realbez posted:

Muyb come back to discord

Thanks bud but some dickhead that I don’t know brings my kid/parenting into an argument and doesn’t get called out on it = no bueno for me

lol Collingwood imo. Hard to believe the strategy of starting the best defender in the league atm at full forward didn’t work

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Im ok with Collingwood getting injuries before Anzac day, think its nice

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Hello it is Grand Final Day go Crows, last day of footy for the year, footy is over after this

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Chairchucker posted:

Hello it is Grand Final Day go Crows, last day of footy for the year, footy is over after this

:hmmyes:

I am super pumped to go watch the Crows hopefully win a third premiership in five years :swoon:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

as a paid-up member of the ruckman's union I will also agree that missing both rucks is really hurting the Saints

Nutsngum posted:

The midfield was deplorable in the effort to both win and hold up the ball. Hunter wasnt helping with sub par rucking but we were constantly being outpaced by players with no real extra speed on our own players. The middle was the one area where we genuinely had Richmond and just utterly failed at it.

To make matters worse, the online "saints community" is toxic as gently caress right now with a lot of dickheads contributing nothing but garbage. Apparently Hill's missus was engaging with some of them which probably wasnt a great idea.

yeah the small group I chat about the Saints with shared that, it sounds like the Big Footy crowd are close to Richmond pre-flag levels of feral right now. Not great.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Bit sick of the Crows kicking inside 50 straight to a defender.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Nothing I could disagree with, I think it's a case of that midfield not having a team connection that gets them through if they lose any leadership. The question is, why did they require that leadership to function in the first place? For a club that's always had a strong midfield culture that's very disquieting. It's not Rattens direct responsibility but someone isn't coaching the midfield right, they shouldn't be rudderless like that. Gay picnic defence put it perfectly, they were witches hats.

Also I gave up on Big Footy when I saw what the Saints fans were like there, I've no desire to revisit that tribe ugh.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Well this is very bad right now

Brisbane are burying the Crows

Crows had so many opportunities but they kept kicking it to defenders, and Scheer kept trying to take on defenders

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

GG Brisbane, took their chances.

Lutkins BOG imo.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Chairchucker posted:

Lutkins BOG imo.

Yep, there it is. Deserved it, probs saved like 5 goals.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

:negative:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Gold Coast player gets poked in the eye, but then as he comes off is responsible for the man getting free leading to the first Doggies goal.

...OK :rolleyes:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Suns haven't won a hitout yet

I guess this is what happens if clubs don't have a couple of backup rucks on the list

edit - they finally got one, by Greenwood of all people lol

gay picnic defence fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Apr 17, 2021

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Suns haven't won a hitout yet

I guess this is what happens if clubs don't have a couple of backup rucks on the list

edit - they finally got one, by Greenwood of all people lol

I thought they had 3 on their list they all just got injured at the same time

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Watching Sydney and GWS but that scoreline in the other game wow

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Doggies :stare:

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Oh no, football is bad again :saddowns:

Well done Brisbane, comprehensively better than us today. I really respect the Brisbane side for bouncing back so well after being raided by expansion clubs.

Now that the real footy is over for the year I guess I can start watching the men junk, if I can stay awake for it.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

imo it would be good if gws lose by less than a goal with Toby greene kicking 1.7

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Slightly wet

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Love some mud-pit footy every now and then, gonna be some tired blokes from this one

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

masterpine posted:

Love some mud-pit footy every now and then, gonna be some tired blokes from this one

Yeah it’s often a pretty fun spectacle if not a great game, the west coast vs...hawthorn one from a few years back still sticks out, one goal scored to half time I think?

E:think it might have been this game

West Coast 0.8 0.12 2.16 5.21 51
Hawthorn 0.4 2.7 3.13 5.16 46
Subiaco R4, 2012

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Apr 17, 2021

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Reid and Cox seem a bit fragile to be exposed to wet weather footy

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Solemn Sloth posted:

Yeah it’s often a pretty fun spectacle if not a great game, the west coast vs...hawthorn one from a few years back still sticks out, one goal scored to half time I think?

E:think it might have been this game

West Coast 0.8 0.12 2.16 5.21 51
Hawthorn 0.4 2.7 3.13 5.16 46
Subiaco R4, 2012

Heh, remember that game. Sitting right out in the open and due to my dumb footy related superstition of "it only rains if you bring wet weather gear" well, yeah... was more water than man by the end of that one. Cyril almost got us late, poo poo he was good to watch work around the ground live.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Love hearing a Lions fan yell out the old "chewie on your boot" to Hooker

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

thepokey posted:

Love hearing a Lions fan yell out the old "chewie on your boot" to Hooker

Nature is healing :unsmith:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Today's rule that no longer exists is incorrect disposal

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I assume the umpires got pulled into line after Francis was pinged last week for spoiling the ball over the boundary, I haven't seen a repeat of that despite some extremely deliberate soilds out of bounds.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

ewe2 posted:

Nothing I could disagree with, I think it's a case of that midfield not having a team connection that gets them through if they lose any leadership. The question is, why did they require that leadership to function in the first place? For a club that's always had a strong midfield culture that's very disquieting. It's not Rattens direct responsibility but someone isn't coaching the midfield right, they shouldn't be rudderless like that. Gay picnic defence put it perfectly, they were witches hats.

Also I gave up on Big Footy when I saw what the Saints fans were like there, I've no desire to revisit that tribe ugh.

Adam Skrobalak is our midfield coach currently. Well respected coaching lower levels it seems but I really wonder if he is up to AFL level..

Bigfooty is kind of half bearable but it suffers real badly from poor moderation and letting lovely posters keep on posting. Game day threads are just full of people potting other teams for no reason other then to be a dick and they just get out of control sometimes.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I assume the umpires got pulled into line after Francis was pinged last week for spoiling the ball over the boundary, I haven't seen a repeat of that despite some extremely deliberate soilds out of bounds.

Instead a docker marked the ball a foot over the line and it was paid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I wonder if they keep a separate stats column for all the throws Fyfe is never called on