Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Pennywise the Frown posted:

When I think cruise ships, I don't think America.

As a matter of fact, don't most cruise lines specifically not set up shop in America for tax reasons? So it's more Americana to be a cruise line in a different country to avoid taxes than to be actual Americana.

But it's all designed to cater to the worst of America, those who fear the foreign, crave the familiar, demand excess, and love to be able to show others that they are better. Cruise ships are the microcosm of Americana distilled, with a little bit of norovirus to show what it really all amounts to....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Outrail posted:

Brits just go to Spain and other Europeans visit other eurotrash's colonies for a laugh.

Pretty sure looking at the super lux boats in europe I could see a lot of super tan old dudes hanging dong from the shore but I guess they could have been floridians

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Pretty sure looking at the super lux boats in europe I could see a lot of super tan old dudes hanging dong from the shore but I guess they could have been floridians

I'm just spitballing, and yeah it would make more sense that the super rich euros just hang around on their boats looking like naked gremlinesque sex offenders. Similar to most other countries.

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

Aardvark! posted:

that place in Idaho Springs is the only place I've ever seen honey with pizza

it's a mountain west thing if not everywhere, it's a thing in Colorado too. Beau Jo's being the best example, they call it a mountain pie.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Pennywise the Frown posted:

When I think cruise ships, I don't think America.

As a matter of fact, don't most cruise lines specifically not set up shop in America for tax reasons? So it's more Americana to be a cruise line in a different country to avoid taxes than to be actual Americana.

Most of their real headquarters are in Florida. There is the nationality of the company, where the actual poo poo is run (Ft. Lauderdale for several of them ) and then the flag states of the vessels ( BAH, PAN, LBR, etc).

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
i'm from vermont and actually we prefer putting yogurt on our pancakes. syrup is tree piss we sell to idiot flatlanders. keep buying it though. also come skiing.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Empty Sandwich posted:

I v much want to try that

Most mainland Hawaiian restaurants carry them, give it a try!

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

i'm from vermont and actually we prefer putting yogurt on our pancakes. syrup is tree piss we sell to idiot flatlanders. keep buying it though. also come skiing.

Vermont, reaching the grand heights of 4,395 ft ;)

Play fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Apr 16, 2021

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

There's a fair few cruises round here.
Venice had to ban cruise ships coming close as they were causing damage to the city (which is sinking fast enough without assistance)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

I like syrup alright but I really prefer honey.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Play posted:

Mountains so short they're green and not white

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Still confused about how that is not Eurotrash af too

Eurotrash version is the one where you buy an overnight ticket to the next country over, don't pay for a cabin and get so drunk on tax-free beer/booze (which you aren't supposed to drink while onboard) that you end up in the ships jail before it makes landfall next morning.
During the 90's depression some people made a living by buying the cheapest ticket, buying all the tax free booze they could and selling that when they came back. One dude did that for three years, it used to be (and might stille be) that you would get a free cheaper cabin ticket if you bought stuff for more than 100€ from the tax-free in one go.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Play posted:

I'm a ways off, but I'll keep my eyes out

Play posted:

I am enjoying learning that NC has significantly higher mountains than VT

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Play posted:

Spam musubi is one of my favorite foods on earth. And it is Americana, just not the standard white person kind

The Hawaiians have perfected Spam that the Mainlanders took decades to figure out.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Lmao east coasters talking about mountains and others being “flatlanders”. Sorry I cant hear you at living elevation of 5,400 feet, let me drive 10 minutes west and get to 9000 feet real quick.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lmao at anybody bragging about elevation of all things. As though they had something to do with it

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

uh i'm from/in vt and i'll take your syrup if you don't want it (grade b only, none of that aaa bs)

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

The Bloop posted:

lmao at anybody bragging about elevation of all things. As though they had something to do with it

Bud I personally took a poo poo so high they named it Mt. Massive.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

In about a week the vaccines will have fully kicked in, which means I'm going on a grand tour of my local breakfast places.

“We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the vaccines began to take hold."

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

In about a week the vaccines will have fully kicked in, which means I'm going on a grand tour of my local breakfast places.

“We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the vaccines began to take hold."

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of a Pfizer binge.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

His Divine Shadow posted:

His Divine Shadow posted:

I'm guessing that the vaccines took hold somewhere around Oulu

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

ExecuDork posted:

Port of Miami 20071208
Marc Averette, CC BY 3.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0>, via Wikimedia Commons

Cruise ships seem very Americana. Huge, garish, full of drunk old people pretending to travel the world even though they never get off the boat until back in Miami. Some of the pictures of purestrain Americana food in this thread could easily have come from a cruise ship. Sure, the companies are mostly not headquartered in the USA, which is also Americana as hell - dodging taxes is the real national pastime for people rich enough to buy baseball teams.

A cruise ship is essentially a floating self-contained mall where the passengers get to spend more money on goods and services for a week after paying a huge cover to get in, which is really the height of the American experience if you think about it.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

cult_hero posted:

But it's all designed to cater to the worst of America, those who fear the foreign, crave the familiar, demand excess, and love to be able to show others that they are better. Cruise ships are the microcosm of Americana distilled, with a little bit of norovirus to show what it really all amounts to....

This is also why it's more expensive to visit Disney World's recreations of world destinations than it is to actually just visit the world destination.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

BIG DRYWALL MAN posted:

Bud I personally took a poo poo so high they named it Mt. Massive.

Ah yes the legend of old BIG DRYWALL MAN, I know it well. It goes a little something like this:

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeellllllllllll there was a man who had to poo poo and he

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

Play posted:

Strangely, Alaska too, you can find hot Spam Musubi in it's own little heaters in about 7/8ths of the gas stations in Anchorage due to the Pacific Island population. My sweet Hawaiian neighbor makes them too and you can smell the spice mix for like a block when she does, not complaining.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006
The big divide up here is "full seaweed wrap vs stripe seaweed wrap", followed closely by "how much vinegar and spices", and then by "scrambled-egg/bacon layer or classic"?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

What teh gently caress is this supposed to be? The saddest beef stroganoff?

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Milo and POTUS posted:

What teh gently caress is this supposed to be? The saddest beef stroganoff?

Last time I saw a beef stroganoff it was cumin all over the place. :shrug:

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

KC MASTERPIECE

Sweet Baby Ray's

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Last time I saw a beef stroganoff it was cumin all over the place. :shrug:

I think that's more beef jerky

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Astrofig posted:

Sweet Baby Ray's

sweet baby rays. meat fibers.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
A weekend shoutout to our glorious system of state and national parks!

Elk Flats Trail, Oregon:

Cape Kiwanda, Oregon:

Bonus: Reverse view from behind the fencing

Cape Meares, Oregon:

Ooh!

Ahh!

Great resource for finding poo poo: https://www.alltrails.com/us/wisconsin

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Sad Americana:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nZaNc-DZA0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpyHhrDgG5A

I had to drive through that area once and it was really scary

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Sad Americana:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nZaNc-DZA0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpyHhrDgG5A

I had to drive through that area once and it was really scary

done a lot of drugs, and never been doing anything like this on them. intense.

e, OH poo poo:

I am done watching those videos, UGH!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

this is technically Canadiana

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Aardvark! posted:

this is technically Canadiana

Canada counts

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

charliebo313 is a youtuber that goes around the US and drives through the hoods in the local area. Sometimes he interviews people too. Not a bad channel to see what the 'inner city' is like in many of these cities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCX2qger_uo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How!
Oct 29, 2009

Tarkus posted:

charliebo313 is a youtuber that goes around the US and drives through the hoods in the local area. Sometimes he interviews people too. Not a bad channel to see what the 'inner city' is like in many of these cities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCX2qger_uo

Lol he literally drove past my old house! So many stolen mopeds...