Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Soup du Jour posted:

Xykon is basically what would happen if Incubus was turned into a skeleton

So would be the Auntie Maya in this analogy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

TheAceOfLungs posted:

Probably the best "All Just A Dream" ending was Bob Newhart.
I feel like we're sleeping on Jacob's Ladder here.

Regalingualius posted:

So would be the Auntie Maya in this analogy?
Redcloak.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

I feel like we're sleeping on Jacob's Ladder here.

Redcloak.

When’s the last time he did something on the scale of slicing a city block in half vertically with one swing of a broken sword, though?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Regalingualius posted:

When’s the last time he did something on the scale of slicing a city block in half vertically with one swing of a broken sword, though?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

There is just something so fiendish about Redcloak's dialogue that strip and it's amazing.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Raenir Salazar posted:

There is just something so fiendish about Redcloak's dialogue that strip and it's amazing.
Its because he's talking to corpses who can't hear and outsiders who he doesn't about care about their opinion. He's just a lone nut muttering to himself for himself.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice

World Famous W posted:

Its because he's talking to corpses who can't hear and outsiders who he doesn't about care about their opinion. He's just a lone nut muttering to himself for himself.

IIRC he's talking to the group that's returning, I think he's responding to their conversation?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I wonder whether the Snarl didn't get bored and began creating its own world, and that'd explain why we see a planet in the rifts. The Snarl has enough divine energy to kill gods, it'd only stand to reason it also has enough divine energy to create.

Odin has a line about yarn spinning yarn, and at the start of the current book there's a fake-out with Belkar's cat playing with a ball of yarn that's presented at first if it's the Snarl.

World of stick figures, world of yarn figures? Maybe that's how they can resolve the conundrum with the Dark One and the goblins, they can go live in the Snarl's world?

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Thought it was gonna link to this.

Raenir Salazar posted:

IIRC he's talking to the group that's returning, I think he's responding to their conversation?

As Redcloak says later, they're all dead (even the polymorphed spy); they just doesn't know it yet. In that scene, the only audience that Redcloak cares about is Redcloak.

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 17, 2021

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Christ, that easily one of the most brutal scenes in the comic

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Nah, Redcloak is Allison:

- Was chosen as a successor by someone who died seconds later
- Fights against the unjust system set up by corrupt gods
- Started a war
- Binds demons
- Was offered a chance to give up his plans in exchange for breaking the cosmic cycle of world destruction
- Lost an eye
- Deep down, really hates himself

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Raenir Salazar posted:

Yes: corpses.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

- Started a war
- Binds demons
- Was offered a chance to give up his plans in exchange for breaking the cosmic cycle of world destruction
- Lost an eye

:hmmyes:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

- Started a war
- Binds demons
- Lost an eye
Counterargument:
- Is an emotionally-repressed mastermind, the exact opposite of a furious dumbass
- Terrible at improvising, needs a Plan for everything
- Hasn't even kissed one devil

sebmojo posted:

Yes: corpses.
:mmmhmm:

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 17, 2021

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I can not argue that Redcloak should be more dumbass and kiss more devils. These things are simply true.

However,

PMush Perfect posted:

- Terrible at improvising, needs a Plan for everything

is what Tsukiko thought, and it didn't work out too well for her.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Schwarzwald posted:

I can not argue that Redcloak should be more dumbass and kiss more devils. These things are simply true.

However,

is what Tsukiko thought, and it didn't work out too well for her.

Redcloak probably had those exact events planned out the day Xykon brought her on board.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

A.o.D. posted:

Redcloak probably had those exact events planned out the day Xykon brought her on board.

I mean, doesn't take a master tactician to realize " I am higher level than her, I could easily command the undead she creates".

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

If you have enough contingency plans it looks like you're good at improvising. Having access to high-level cleric spells helps too.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

What are redcloaks moments of improvisation? Azure city?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

ultrafilter posted:

If you have enough contingency plans it looks like you're good at improvising. Having access to high-level cleric spells helps too.

And conversely, if you're good enough at improvising, it looks like you have a lot of contingency plans. I'm convinced that's how Xykon operates, and whenever he begrudgingly admits that he's a lot smarter than he looks, he's actually just bullshitting to wind Redcloak up.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

sebmojo posted:

What are redcloaks moments of improvisation? Azure city?

Against the paladin ghosts and against v, he was dealing with the unexpected and had to plan on the fly. Which is a lot like improvising.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

A.o.D. posted:

He still only had the time it took for him to climb up the stairs to come up with an airtight and plausible explanation for the circumstances of her death that would leave Xykon none the wiser... at the same time he was also making a perfect replica of the phylactery.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Regalingualius posted:

He still only had the time it took for him to climb up the stairs to come up with an airtight and plausible explanation for the circumstances of her death that would leave Xykon none the wiser... at the same time he was also making a perfect replica of the phylactery.

All he had to do was tell the truth.

Well, most of the truth.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Okay, 'he can't improvise' withdrawn, and resubmitted as "he has a Plan and values it over everything else"

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Johnny Aztec posted:

I mean, doesn't take a master tactician to realize " I am higher level than her, I could easily command the undead she creates".

He does say in the comic that he commanded them the second he walked into the room, though. He didn't just command them at the spur of the moment when he attacked her with them.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Taciturn Tactician posted:

He does say in the comic that he commanded them the second he walked into the room, though. He didn't just command them at the spur of the moment when he attacked her with them.
That counts less as 'improvisation' and more as 'due diligence/appropriate levels of caution'.

If she'd actually said she was looking for the TiVo remote because she didn't want to admit her plan to his face, he probably would have quietly let go of the ghouls and gone back to his business.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Taciturn Tactician posted:

He probably did this every time he got anywhere near her, as a contingency. :v:

e: fb

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I think high wisdom might actually imply being good at improvisation.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
No one wise gets into improve.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

I dunno. Having the ability to look at your own thoughts and say “that might be a bad idea” could harm improv skill as much as help.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

This is d&d, not Disco Elysium. High stats don't have downsides.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
How dare you slander Electrochemistry like this

Edit: JK Simmons has reminded me that this is libel, not slander

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Khizan posted:

That sounds more Encyclopedia than Shivers.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Khizan posted:

Let's be honest, no stat is gonna tell you the other stats are compromised. Okay maybe Willpower will but let's be honest charisma was kinda hit by the breakup and is now a little sycophant singing her prize.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Raenir Salazar posted:

It makes just as much sense to say a high wisdom would make you value planning ahead.

Regardless, it's clear that redcloak has exceptional mental stats across the board.

He's a skilled liar and leader, and no slouch at intimidating an imprisoned paladin. His force of personality dominates any room that doesn't also contain xykon.

He shows incredible foresight, willpower, and situational awareness, and is not easily fooled(though sirini managed it)

And he's a nerdy intellectual, loves science and reading. Is deeply knowledgeable about the world, and it's properties, devises and executes meticulously complex plans, taking lots of complexity in mind.

He's got mental weaknesses, but they're in his personality, not his skills.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
Redcloak obviously prefers extensive planning ahead whenever possible, but there's no way he'd have been able to survive this long with Xykon if he wasn't capable of handling the unexpected.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Yeah, Redcloak's not Nale, lol

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah Nale had people in his life who loved him.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

In Start of Darkness Redcloak had a brother and a neice and nephew, who loved him, all of whom he killed.

So that's nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

:drat: