Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Davincie posted:

The fact that they exist mainly to shill toys undermines any message they try to have that could possibly be antiwar. The toys must be cool and therefor even its bleakest portrayals of war are cool. In the end they are a part of Japan’s military industrial complex and I can not morally support the gundam series

Nah I think the antiwar message is still poignant even if the capitalist system it exists within mildly undercuts it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Personally I like war

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

Why do you hate the nobel gundam

stuff like this is different from Nobel's cooling fin hair

aside from in general being more cluttered and ugly than Nobel's simple design

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
As a completely impartial observer I think we have to give AotY and Season to Nagatoro

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I like it when Domon Kasshu goes all "SHINING FINGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER"

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Davincie posted:

The fact that they exist mainly to shill toys undermines any message they try to have that could possibly be antiwar. The toys must be cool and therefor even its bleakest portrayals of war are cool. In the end they are a part of Japan’s military industrial complex and I can not morally support the gundam series

This is why Takahashi is so based because his marketable shows are about the political economical utility of war as means to ideological ends, and the underlying thoughts and experiences behind those ideologies

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like gundam not because they have deep antiwar messages but because they have cute characters and funny jokes, and amuro and char viciously want to gently caress each other

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

The Colonel posted:

i like gundam not because they have deep antiwar messages but because they have cute characters and funny jokes, and amuro and char viciously want to gently caress each other

Make love not war!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

Make love not war!

It's Gundam. The two are nowhere near mutually exclusive.

(Consider: Barbatos, one of the most animalistic and brutal Gundams, is also the only Gundam that we can be sure people have hosed in.)

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Amuro and Char have long been superseded by their incarnations in the Detective Conan universe.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Apr 17, 2021

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice
JK o Hirou: "Your code is buggy we can't sell this product."
Me, a software developer: "Pfffffft hahahahaha."

e: I'm wondering if the dynamic that's going to end up going on is like, salaryman is turned down by his boss, but because by taking in a runaway he's motivated to take care of himself better, and makes people think he was suddenly snatched up, it made his boss take interest in him? And because he's taking better care of himself, it made the other coworker who seems to have had a thing for him already much more intense. The plot thickens.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Apr 17, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Davincie posted:

'war is bad' isnt actually the moral of most gundam series

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
https://twitter.com/jahysama_anime/status/1382997382049247236

Jahy is getting an anime.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

That reminds me I need to make more progress on reading the manga.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Now I'm wondering if Jahy will have two VAs or if they'll just go with one and tell her to do a grown up voice and a kid voice or if she'll just have one voice.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Stairmaster posted:

Personally I like war

Sad to hear you say these chuddy things my friend

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Kwyndig posted:

Now I'm wondering if Jahy will have two VAs or if they'll just go with one and tell her to do a grown up voice and a kid voice or if she'll just have one voice.

Considering female seiyuus often voice younger versions of their characters whenever it's necessary, I'm pretty sure they'll go with option 2

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Back Arrow: With Rudolph's talk about the Gods, I suspect it's building towards a reveal where the entire world is basically an arena for "Gods" to battle it out. He and Zetsu might be from outside the walls. This particular configuration of nations might be just the latest in a whole cycle of political agglomeration and disintegration.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Chas McGill posted:

I caught myself looking at Super Cubs and Ruckus/Zoomers on eBay but I realised that a scooter wouldn't make me happy.

Modern Super Cubs are really proper motorcycles and not scooters. I think in the US they only come in 125cc's which require a motorcycle license to get. Most places only refrain from requiring that for vehicles 50cc's and below.

That said, scooters/lightweight motorcycles like Super Cubs or Vespas are totally super useful if you live an an actual city and not in suburb hell where you'll need to get on the freeway to get anywhere.

Also way more affordable than a car, at 3-5k new. Excellent gas milage, with over 100mpg (I think the Super Cub 125 can go over 160 miles on its 1 gallon tank)

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Apr 17, 2021

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

chumbler posted:

The childhood friend who won't lose seems like it could be fun. Interesting relationship chart being set up and things heated up a bit in the first episode.

I'm going to be very upset if he doesn't end up with the childhood friend.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Nemo2342 posted:

I'm going to be very upset if he doesn't end up with the childhood friend.

It doesn't say the childhood friend wins, it says she won't lose, so expect a status quo ending at best.
Especially since there is more than one childhood friend

Tamba fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Apr 17, 2021

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

First ep of Iruma s2 was good, the OP and ED aren't as fun as s1's tho so that's kind of a drag but w/e. Can't wait for me

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Phobophilia posted:

Back Arrow: With Rudolph's talk about the Gods, I suspect it's building towards a reveal where the entire world is basically an arena for "Gods" to battle it out. He and Zetsu might be from outside the walls. This particular configuration of nations might be just the latest in a whole cycle of political agglomeration and disintegration.

That's a pretty good point, yes. Not sure about Zetsu himself, but it does seem to fit Rudolph's whole thing after this episode and how his palace's inner design looked vaguely compatible with the sky mines above the wall.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Ibram Gaunt posted:

First ep of Iruma s2 was good, the OP and ED aren't as fun as s1's tho so that's kind of a drag but w/e. Can't wait for me

I like that it was reintroduction episode, but still kept the story going.

300 year witch is still very cute, even though I don't know how to feel about the new character's backstory.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Phobophilia posted:

I think you're overthinking it; The nations are just flavour, the core conceit here is strength through conviction. I think Lingalind is just a shitload of people thrown against eachother to fight and kill until the strongest Conviction emerges. Zetsu's just the frontrunner with his. Randolph is there to stir the pot and make sure things stay nice and fighty on behalf of whoever's running this place, peace between the two major powers would extend across all of Lingalind eventually and that's simply not acceptable.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Vivy 4 is still good though I gotta be honest I can't watch robot martial artistry without comparing it (usually not favorably) to Real Drive in the back of my brain

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Second TWEWY episode was a massive improvement over the first one, in case anyone still cares - this time they didn't try to cram way too much material into a single episode, so there's actual character moments and funny bits and the pacing actually works.

Makes me sad the first episode was so bad. :(

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i was determined to hate Athletess ReSTART for being just a reboot with bland direction, bad animation, and clumsy writing, but episode 2 loaded the weird up just enough that i suppose i'm on board. i'm sure the conclusion to all this lunar civil war/terrorism/shadow government/genetically engineering athletes stuff will be handled satisfyingly...

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Oh, hey, neat.

https://twitter.com/anime/status/1383429806516105217?s=21

For anyone unfamiliar with it, this is one of the few isekai that feels like it has actual mature, professional writing rather than being a simple amateur power fantasy. It's a charming, solidly-executed classic fantasy adventure with a faint tinge of melancholy.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Coming back to the beginning of Shadows House, they do a really good job of defining that feeling of a large Victorian house with loads of servants that act as personal slaves and the bits of cutthroat household politics at play at all of the social class levels. The second ep only had a small glimpse at it and it does feel like it's taking its time in introducing everything and the darker elements of the story (though some of them aren't revealed until way late anyways) and would be interesting to watch for the especially politically minded.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

OnimaruXLR posted:

Vivy 4 is still good though I gotta be honest I can't watch robot martial artistry without comparing it (usually not favorably) to Real Drive in the back of my brain

The episode was quite good on a couple of levels, the problem I had was that the robot fisticuffs were completely disconnected from the background. It was less two people having a really fast and intense fight somewhere and more to people having a really fast and intense fight on a green screen as the camera swung around to make them look like they were moving.

A bit annoying because shortly before that there was a quick action sequence that was legitimately very good and did a cool thing with the character in first person.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Faraway Paladin is a good fantasy with fun characters and the isekai elements are used with a fairly light hand, it's great.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
Started the new season of Fruits Basket and boy I hope the theme of this season isn't Akito being forgiven for all their abuse because they were abused too.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
New thread :toot:

quote:

A-1 Pictures | Toshimasa Ishii | Toshiya Oono | Sci-Fi, Drama | Light Novel | Apr 11, 2021
The Republic of San Magnolia. For a long time, this country has been besieged by its neighbor, the Giadian Empire, which created a series of unmanned drones called the Legion. After years of painstaking research, the Republic finally developed autonomous drones of their own, turning the one-sided struggle into a war without casualties—or at least, that's what the government claims. In truth, there is no such thing as a bloodless war. Beyond the fortified walls protecting the eighty-five Republic territories lies the "nonexistent" Eighty-Sixth Sector. The young men and women of this forsaken land are branded the Eighty-Six and, stripped of their humanity, pilot the "unmanned" weapons into battle... Shinn directs the actions of a detachment of young Eighty-Sixers while on the battlefield. Lena is a "handler" who commands the detachment from the remote rear with the help of special communication. The farewell story of the severe and sad struggle of these two begins!
PV
Thread

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

dogsicle posted:

i was determined to hate Athletess ReSTART for being just a reboot with bland direction, bad animation, and clumsy writing, but episode 2 loaded the weird up just enough that i suppose i'm on board. i'm sure the conclusion to all this lunar civil war/terrorism/shadow government/genetically engineering athletes stuff will be handled satisfyingly...

From other anime boards, this is speculated as actually a sequel as the heroine from the previous series could be seen as a portrait in the background and the MC is her descendant.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 18, 2021

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Nitrousoxide posted:

Modern Super Cubs are really proper motorcycles and not scooters. I think in the US they only come in 125cc's which require a motorcycle license to get. Most places only refrain from requiring that for vehicles 50cc's and below.

That said, scooters/lightweight motorcycles like Super Cubs or Vespas are totally super useful if you live an an actual city and not in suburb hell where you'll need to get on the freeway to get anywhere.

Also way more affordable than a car, at 3-5k new. Excellent gas milage, with over 100mpg (I think the Super Cub 125 can go over 160 miles on its 1 gallon tank)
Yeah, I live in a city where I can cycle everywhere and can get to some countryside within 20km so it was no more than a passing fancy. It looks like they're 125cc in the UK as well, which is way more powerful than I expected. The one she has in the show seems weedier than that. They are really cute bikes though.

Second episode was decent, although I'm kinda worried they're gonna end up being the Honda Power Rangers. Hopefully the delicious mundanity continues as new characters are introduced.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
If you listen carefully, you can hear the lamentations of slimes everywhere.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Chas McGill posted:

Yeah, I live in a city where I can cycle everywhere and can get to some countryside within 20km so it was no more than a passing fancy. It looks like they're 125cc in the UK as well, which is way more powerful than I expected. The one she has in the show seems weedier than that. They are really cute bikes though.

Second episode was decent, although I'm kinda worried they're gonna end up being the Honda Power Rangers. Hopefully the delicious mundanity continues as new characters are introduced.

They sell smaller displacement super cubs in japan so she probably doesn't have the 125cc engine.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

From other anime boards, this is actually a sequel as the heroine from the previous series could be seen as a portrait in the background and the MC is her descendant.

it was a pretty conspicuous scene, but so far i'm just taking stuff like that as references rather than full-on continuity. they've been kind of inconsistent in how characters are handled with Lydia and Yana being similar to their 90s counterparts while Shelley isn't and other characters seem to exist largely as name references like the detective or Paglia. it's obvious Kanata's grandma was raising her granddaughter into a potential athlete, but whether she's actually Akari from the original i'll wait for them to reveal (or not, and leave as an ambiguous tease).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Me watching Nagataro: "Why does anyone actually drink V8 juice? It's disgusting."

Kwyndig posted:

They sell smaller displacement super cubs in japan so she probably doesn't have the 125cc engine.

Can't compete in Mario cart at that speed. :smith: