Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

david_a posted:

I never understood his sand worm painting. Back in the day it was because I only saw it in a tiny compressed JPG and I couldn’t visually parse it, but seeing it in better detail still don’t get it - there’s a sand worm, sure, but it’s, uh, servicing a giant black biomechanical penis?

:nws:

I... I don’t remember this from the books.

A biomechanical penis is Gigers equivalent of a signature.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Apr 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Remember to :nws: your biomechanical dicks.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

I really wanna talk about Martyrs (2008) and no one I know has seen it or would want to. I assume it's definitely come up in this thread before, what are peoples thoughts?

I think it says a lot about a film that when we get to the 30 minutes of relentless beatings it feels like a cool down from what’s happened prior.

I still need to see ‘Inside’, but might save it for October.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

I think it says a lot about a film that when we get to the 30 minutes of relentless beatings it feels like a cool down from what’s happened prior.

I still need to see ‘Inside’, but might save it for October.

I put off Inside for a long time because for whatever reason pregnancy things can bother me but once I finally saw it it didn’t land as hard as I expected. The cuts to the cg fetus kind of took me out of it.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

CODChimera posted:

Not movies but I really enjoyed 30 Coins, it probably needs a second watch for me to fully understand what happened though

On to Servant next, which is promising so far

30 Coins owns.

THEM basically threw the spooky bits in the trash after episode 4 and went full on racial torture poo poo and I don’t care for it one bit.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
how much monsters in 30 coins

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

My mother (born in 1954 in a small Icelandic fishing village) tells me that in her youth "spooky" was used for slang for anything that was cool, fun, or good. So one might say that the Stones were a spooky band or that someone was wearing a spooky dress, etc.

I want to revive this.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

My mother (born in 1954 in a small Icelandic fishing village) tells me that in her youth "spooky" was used for slang for anything that was cool, fun, or good. So one might say that the Stones were a spooky band or that someone was wearing a spooky dress, etc.

I want to revive this.

Was it “spooky” as in the english word or was it an Icelandic word for spooky?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Spooky as in the English word.

So spúkí.

We also say kúl, sjitt, and fokk.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Friendship ended with Amazon, now Shudder is my new best friend.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Can anyone help me find any info on this movie: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3342734/?ref_=rvi_tt

I can't find a copy or any info anywhere aside from a youtube trailer.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

Can anyone help me find any info on this movie: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3342734/?ref_=rvi_tt

It had a special 2 disc physical release from ToeTag, which isn't much help admittedly because their site's down and has been all year apparently (most recent social media post was January, their first one in ~4 years, and in the comments they acknowledged the site being down). You could maybe attempt messaging them

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I really dug The Empty Man, after hearing a few podcasters rave about it as a "new cult classic". Visually it's great and the soundtrack is fantastic (give Lustmord more work!) Acting is so-so but overall, I really loved the repetition of certain visual motifs and the beauty of the shot setups. Lots of good stuff in it and I was pleased to see that it was the first feature from the director and that he'd put together a short called AM 1200 which I saw at the HP Lovecraft Film Festival 13 years ago and thought was absolutely great. Crazy to me that it took another ten years for him to actually get a feature gig.

I definitely recommend - it's not quite the Slenderman flick the trailers make it look like it will be.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

It had a special 2 disc physical release from ToeTag, which isn't much help admittedly because their site's down and has been all year apparently (most recent social media post was January, their first one in ~4 years, and in the comments they acknowledged the site being down). You could maybe attempt messaging them

Ima try reaching out to Fred to track down a copy. Thank you sm!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Basebf555 posted:

I was being generous because I like Henriksen, but the truth is he hasn't been in a good movie since the mid-90's.

If you want to argue for Alien vs. Predator then go ahead, but that's the only one that even could be debated.

Show me on the doll where Scream 3 touched you.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

are there any special editions of Kurosawa's Cure and Pulse around? I've been on a real j-horror bender lately but don't know where to go for decent physical editions of subbed Japanese media

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
If you mean region A, there an Arrow special edition of Pulse. For Cure, there's only a region B release from Masters of Cinema. Both transfers look a bit older and soft.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

Sounds pretty interesting, if you manage to track it down let us know what you think.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Memnaelar posted:

I really dug The Empty Man, after hearing a few podcasters rave about it as a "new cult classic". Visually it's great and the soundtrack is fantastic (give Lustmord more work!) Acting is so-so but overall, I really loved the repetition of certain visual motifs and the beauty of the shot setups. Lots of good stuff in it and I was pleased to see that it was the first feature from the director and that he'd put together a short called AM 1200 which I saw at the HP Lovecraft Film Festival 13 years ago and thought was absolutely great. Crazy to me that it took another ten years for him to actually get a feature gig.

I definitely recommend - it's not quite the Slenderman flick the trailers make it look like it will be.

Lustmord rules and I’ve been meaning to check out this movie

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Drunkboxer posted:

Sounds pretty interesting, if you manage to track it down let us know what you think.

I got a message out to Fred but it's also his birthday today so it might get lost in a sea of HBD messages. I met him once I'm hoping to use that to my advantage.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Memnaelar posted:

I watched it yesterday and thought it was quite good as well. I was wary of the 2h15m runtime but it didn’t feel overly long. Still could’ve maybe been trimmed down a little (there is a lot of exposition in the third act) but the pacing didn’t feel off to me. Lots of cool creepy stuff in it and I especially liked the first segment in Bhutan.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I watched it last night and thought it had some really cool ideas that got somewhat bogged down by the more conventional horror poo poo. It's good, but it could've been great.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

feedmyleg posted:

how much monsters in 30 coins

It is extremely monsters

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

So Midori

It's about half as vile as its reputation and badly made.

Was this the state of shock cinema in 1992 that we were reduced to this? Most extreme anime nowadays is way worse. Is it just the monomania of its creator and the mythmaking of its history that people revere it?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Shrecknet posted:

So Midori

It's about half as vile as its reputation and badly made.

Was this the state of shock cinema in 1992 that we were reduced to this? Most extreme anime nowadays is way worse. Is it just the monomania of its creator and the mythmaking of its history that people revere it?

most of the truly shocking stuff isnt gonna be found outside of sources such as myself and Number 1 Juicy Boi

also no reply from Fred but I havent given up on I am No One (2013). I WILL FIND THIS MOVIE. OH YES. IT WILL BE MINE.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Maybe people were just really offended that someone would name their movie after melon liqueur.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Should just watch Minari instead.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Decided to get stoned and give the Halloween remakes another try.

About the only nice thing I can say is some great horror staples and character actors got paid.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Only just now learned that Halloween (2018) is getting two sequels. Nice.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

anatomi posted:

Only just now learned that Halloween (2018) is getting two sequels. Nice.

Halloween (2019) and Halloween (2020)

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Actually Halloween (2020, delayed to 2021) and Halloween (2021, delayed to 2022).

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Memnaelar posted:

Whoever cut the trailer for it needs to be beaten with some sticks, it completely misrepresents the movie. Sells it as a bye bye man/slenderman ish film, and it's way more of a lovecraftian vibe.

Watched it tonight. Good movie, but a little bit long. Found out the director was forced to release it without editing much and it has at least 6 extra minutes in it, so that might explain some of the bits that seemed a lil dragging.

Loved the opening though, and the cave design.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Part of The Empty Man involves looking up "tulpas" online and the main characters reads from the Wikipedia page on them. I was curious if that page was real and what it actually said, so I went there myself and found something more cursed than anything in the film:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I liked that episode of Supernatural where some kids listened to Blue Oyster Cult and accidentally made a tulpa.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I thought they were flowers or wooden shoes or windmills or something.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

gey muckle mowser posted:

Part of The Empty Man involves looking up "tulpas" online and the main characters reads from the Wikipedia page on them. I was curious if that page was real and what it actually said, so I went there myself and found something more cursed than anything in the film:

Tulpas are a pretty big part of Twin Peaks, especially The Return.

There's also a fun Last Podcast episode about them where they found forums and online posts of people who made Tulpas and expressly warning others not to have sex with them.

They aren't a new idea, and I think it's interesting that they are becoming more prominent in stories in the past few years.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Freddy in New Nightmare is basically a Tulpa.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

gey muckle mowser posted:

This is the first thing I think of when I hear the word unfortunately. I assumed everyone of SA would be similarly internet poisoned at this point but I guess some people are still relatively healthy.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The X-Files episode where Mulder and Scully moved to the suburbs had a tulpa that was the reified tyranny of the neighbourhood HOA. One of the more ahead-of-its-time eps imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I realized I had never seen any other Nightmare on Elm Street movies than Freddy vs Jason, and to fix that I got all the movies.

I understand that it's a pretty uneven series and not all of the movies are great, but are any "not even worth watching" bad?