Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Yes seriously that's the same as saying your family is just as important as people you will never meet.

Like of course the American psyche is more important because I'm here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i aint there

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

but the american psyche isnt really as important as just dead people in other countries imo

He doesn’t have Bush’s body count but drone strikes went up during his term and he very nearly started a war with Iran. And turning people’s brain into pudding is the kind of thing that has deadly consequences at home and abroad.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

Trump may have caused the most damage to the American psyche, though there are many other factors that can be blamed on.

You say this like the American psyche wasn't an already a broken homicidal farce.

All Trump did was trip and pull the curtain down with him.

The thing doing the most damage to the American psyche is the fact being an imperialist fell out of fashion right as America started to amass real power so the majority of the population has to frame everything in helping people or justice instead of just glorifying murderous conquest like ever other country with power up till 100~ years ago.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The best president is obviously William Henry Harrison for dying before he could do anything presidential.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Henchman of Santa posted:

The best president is obviously William Henry Harrison for dying before he could do anything presidential.

He also selected John Tyler as his vice president and Tyler went on to annex Texas and kick off the invasion of Mexico.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Tippecanoe and Tyler too

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

i aint there

That’s one more argument in its favor.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I liked Jeffrey of YOSPOS' old avatar better.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Andrew Jackson was an abhorrent loving monster and a source of continuing national shame, but he was a good US President in the same sense that Hans Gruber was an exceptional thief, Mrs. McClane.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Nameless Pete posted:

Andrew Jackson was an abhorrent loving monster and a source of continuing national shame, but he was a good US President in the same sense that Hans Gruber was an exceptional thief, Mrs. McClane.

Mrs. Winslow, I shot a bunch of kids, but they were native

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The greatest american hero was probably Smiling Sid Hatfield

He eventually got murdered by scabs but if y'all remember, his death inspired the battle and defeat of every cop and scab in West Virginia

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 21:31 on Apr 17, 2021

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I feel like the spiciness levels at Thai restaurants are kind of asinine most of the time

I mean usually it's the same dish, they just dump chili oil into it until it's spicy. There are some dishes where the spiciness is inherent like laab and pad prik but when it's a bog standard potato curry ordered at spice level 5 I have to wonder what the point is

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Manager Hoyden posted:

I feel like the spiciness levels at Thai restaurants are kind of asinine most of the time

I mean usually it's the same dish, they just dump chili oil into it until it's spicy. There are some dishes where the spiciness is inherent like laab and pad prik but when it's a bog standard potato curry ordered at spice level 5 I have to wonder what the point is

The point is its what the loudest customers claim to want.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
If you want extreme spice I assume it's because you want to suffer and pour tears and snot while eating. I've done it, it can be "fun".

Did it at home though, seems like a private thing.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
most people just order that stuff so they can be all "heh, you think that hot sauce is spicy? wait til you get a load of the stuff I got off the ~secret menu~ at the Authentic Thai/Chinese place"

doverhog
May 31, 2013

There is no secret thai or other "ethnic" restaurant that has hotter food than chili head white guyes eat. Not that that is good or bad, just a fact.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I feel like in recent history, Reagan was the worst possible president and has done actual and psychic damage no one has ever been able to undo and possibly never will. Trump himself was awful, but didn't really believe in anything. This had the side-effect of nakedly revealing and/or reopening those wounds which was something and it remains to be seen where America will go from here, but it isn't looking good, guys!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I think sometimes presidents get too much credit for being bad when it should definitely be shared by the senators/congressmen who jam through their policies. not saying the presidents aren't bad but the enablers need to be mentioned too.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's all a big mess and the only thing the far right and far left agree on is that it all needs to be thrown away.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Senate is a completely indefensible organization and should be gotten rid of immediately.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Checks and balances in general just hinder progress, get rid of them and just like...elect the right person and let them go to town imho

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Checks and balances in general just hinder progress, get rid of them and just like...elect the right person and let them go to town imho

The Senat was literally specifically created to be a check on democracy

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Boxing should be to the death

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

Boxing should be to the death

That would be very bizarre, if you kept the gloves and other rules.

The senate didn't use to be so bad as it is now. The demographics and filibuster rules were different. However the biggest problem is that both parties are owned by their billionaire donors. That's why things like medicare for all or 15 dollar minimum wage get nowhere. The people who own Biden and Pelosi do not want it. The democrats will give lip service to such ideas, but remember what happened when it looked like Bernie might actually win.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Don't care, watching Ben Askren get dropped in the first round is the most embarrassing thing I've ever seen. we need to bring the blood back into bloodsports

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

celebrity endorsements of serious causes are completely meaningless, they always were of course but what's different now is that they just do nothing and don't affect anything even minimally

navalny is going to die so some western governments signed a declaration to putin asking him to let him see a doctor and some random celebs also signed it. why? do they really think putin is going to go all "oh poo poo the guys from ABBA aren't on my side better let him go!"? maybe this kind of thing kind of worked in the 90s when other places strove to emulate western culture and politics to some extent but nobody cares now

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Jesus loving christ, I had no idea what you were talking about and apparently that's a thing that happened. Askren is a wrestler, used to be a real contender in MMA until he retired due to needing hip replacement and being knocked out too badly. Jake Paul is some kind of youtube celebrity, neither of them are boxers.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Ben Askren greatest moment. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDmuz8gUFM4 Skip to about 5.15 minutes.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

doverhog posted:

That would be very bizarre, if you kept the gloves and other rules.

The gloves protect your hands, not the other guy’s head.

E:the 8 ounce gloves for actual fights. The 16 ounce practice gloves might reduce impact a little bit it’s still mostly protecting your hands and letting you punch way harder.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The gloves protect your hands, not the other guy’s head.

E:the 8 ounce gloves for actual fights. The 16 ounce practice gloves might reduce impact a little bit it’s still mostly protecting your hands and letting you punch way harder.

Sure. The gloves was not the main point, more all the other rules in boxing. All the ref breaks, letting people get up after being knocked down, etc. You can't do (most?) chokes with those gloves on.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Gripweed posted:

The Senate is a completely indefensible organization and should be gotten rid of immediately.

Indeed. The Emperor should dissolve the council permanently and give the regional governors direct control over their territories.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

As far as presidential death tolls the effect of trump’s policies and attitude trickling down through all levels of government as well as his support base can’t be overstated in how it exacerbated the covid-19 pandemic here which has as of this post claimed 566,000 US lives including two friends of mine and the parents and grandparents of many more.

That’s one out of every 580 US residents.

Dross has a new favorite as of 10:39 on Apr 18, 2021

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

doverhog posted:

Jesus loving christ, I had no idea what you were talking about and apparently that's a thing that happened. Askren is a wrestler, used to be a real contender in MMA until he retired due to needing hip replacement and being knocked out too badly. Jake Paul is some kind of youtube celebrity, neither of them are boxers.

They had a boxing match, so they are boxers.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Manager Hoyden posted:

Spice level four is hotter than spice level five.

This may be influenced by the proprietor’s prejudices about the customer.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

Spice level four is hotter than spice level five.

This may be influenced by the proprietor’s prejudices about the customer.

I worked with a Korean guy who dumped a bunch of my hot sauce on his food despite my warnings since “white people can’t eat spicy food!”

It was a sauce with Carolina Reapers in it and he regretted it immensely. He still would talk about how Korean food is the hottest in the world after that (it super is not).

doverhog
May 31, 2013

After looking into it a bit Jake Paul the youtube guy is actually more of a boxer than Askren, which is hilarious. However he should fight someone who is a "real" boxer, as in has trained boxing before being somehow famous, had amateur fights, etc. He never will because the whole thing is basically a prank.

Even "real" boxing tho is notorious for corrupt organizations, effectively fixed fights, padded records, etc. Part of the reason MMA is the far superior sport.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

MMA, like boxing, is one of those things that sounds cool in theory, but the reality is almost always incredibly boring. There are brief flashes of excitement but overall everyone seems way too defensive (which I mean, I understand why you would want to try to prevent the other guy from punching you in the head, but it doesn't make for great TV imho).

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

MMA, like boxing, is one of those things that sounds cool in theory, but the reality is almost always incredibly boring. There are brief flashes of excitement but overall everyone seems way too defensive (which I mean, I understand why you would want to try to prevent the other guy from punching you in the head, but it doesn't make for great TV imho).

Yeah MMA is a surprisingly boring spectator sport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Grappling is boring to do and even more boring to watch.