Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Phish are a jam band from Vermont.

Phish is a rock-oriented jam band, formed in Burlington, VT in 1983. They have been active from 1983-2000, from 2003-2004, and from 2009 to the present. They're one of the biggest touring acts in the United States and are probably the biggest cult band ever. They're known for their musicality, and have been sloganed as "The Greatful Dead 2.0", though their musical stylings are quite different, incorporating elements from a plethora of genres, including jazz, blues, Latin, reggae, and bluegrass. Their following is apt to study them closely and pick out patterns wherever they can be found, in sets, in songs, in jams. Each band member has 15 nicknames.

They are:
Ernest Joseph "Trey" Anastasio III, guitarist and vocalist,
Jon Fishman, drummer and vocalist,
Mike Gordon, bassist and vocalist, and
Page Samuel McConnell, keyboardist and vocalist.

:bravo2: I haven't heard of their exploits since 1997, what's changed? :bravo2:
After a bit of a meltdown following their iconic 12/31/1999 show at the Big Cypress Seminole Reservation coupled with the band's (mostly Trey's) drug problems, they took a hiatus from mid-2000 to New Year's Eve 2002. Because the premises were that it wasn't permanent, no one's drug problem got any better, so they announced a "permanent" breakup, to take place after their last festival in Coventry, which was a mess. Trey eventually got clean (admittedly, after hitting rock bottom after a DWI) and the band reunited in 2009, and have been doing great since, releasing three new albums, currently working on a fourth. People continue to complain, don't worry.

:kingsley: Actually, I'm new and would like to begin devoting my entire waking life to this band now, where do I start? :kingsley:

A Live One. It's where many phans started, and for good reason.

For studio albums, I've always rated Billy Breathes. I think Lawnboy, Picture of Nectar are very good and include some "deep Phish lore", Farmhouse and Story of The Ghost are also good and contain a lot of tracks that are important.

Then, the festivals and NYE shows are a good place to get a feel of shows, songs, and their respective structures and patterns, and the shows are usually top-notch. They've had a few festivals over the years, which are sort of like prolonged musical orgasms that take place over two or three days. The last one was called Magnaball, and you can listen to the first show here.

What New Bits of Phish Lore do I need to know about.

They got sick of the Halloween Album Thing, and did an instrumental album based off a Disney sound effects album it loving ruled. Not as much as 2018 where they created a fake band called Kasvot Växt oh my god it loving ruled. They did 13 nights at MSG, each night with a separate theme called "Baker's Dozen". They did a show based off the initials of gently caress Your Face in 2012 and finished the show with that song. They did a show based off the initials of Lushington and didn't and finished with Ha Ha Ha instead. Tweezerfest 2014. Tahoe Tweezer 2013.

:siren: USEFUL LINKS AND RESOURCES :siren:
http://phish.com ***OFFICIAL***
http://phish.net
http://reddit.com/r/phish
http://phish.in (Stream 99.9% of Phish shows!)
https://phishspreadsheet.com/ (Download 99.9% of shows in AUD format!)

I really like The Grateful Dead how do I get into Phish?

It took me 18 years to really "Get Phish". Being a Grateful Dead fan is actually a giant hinderance I feel because you look for the same things out of Phish as you do the Dead you'll be disappointed. You have to be here for the long composed sections with the psychedelic, bizarre lyrics that often don't seem to make much sense or if they do they are about your double pulling you under the ice, or a tyrant in a fictional world named Wilson. If you're here for the jams, you might be disappointed because they're not just about the jams.

They're getting old, and not as good as they used to be.
They're not on fire like it's 1995, but they have been really consistent in being able to have really good nights as well. I think they took a while to get going after 2009 so if you saw them in '12 '13 give them another go they've rediscovered themselves. 2015 was fire, and 2017/18 was extremely good too. They're getting older, but they're clean from drugs so more clear headed than they were 2000-2004. The worst complaint I can levy is they do have off nights, and sometimes they forcibly "ripcord" out of jams as they get going, or harshly transition but they are minor complaints. Like the Dead in the 80s and 90s, they are more efficient jammers than they were 20 years ago.

What tour are you digging right now?
Fall 1997 Phish Destroys America.

They touring this year

Yep.

Dig it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYyQxfWmdQ8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I liked the Page and Trey songs they put out last year. They were nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAOSbSvJDhA

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

I was at Tweezerfest 2014 and it was incredible.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Ungratek posted:

I was at Tweezerfest 2014 and it was incredible.

Was that in new haven?

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Merriweather 2014

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Favorite tours?

I'm partial to Summer 97 in Europe. Something special about hearing them start to perfect the phunk at all these tiny clubs, the vibe at those shows must have been absolutely incredible. One of my highlights is the 7/9/97 YEM that features the Flecktones, in particular Trey's solo with the jazzy clean tone

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Either Summer 94 (machine gun Trey) or Fall 97 (just a slew of great arena shows, including 11/17 and 12/6 legendary shows)

I’m probably a bigger fan of reunited Phish than most, but they rarely string a whole tour together like they did pre breakup

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ungratek posted:

Either Summer 94 (machine gun Trey) or Fall 97 (just a slew of great arena shows, including 11/17 and 12/6 legendary shows)

I’m probably a bigger fan of reunited Phish than most, but they rarely string a whole tour together like they did pre breakup

They have issued a lot of Fall 97 but there is still so much gold there.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Ungratek posted:

They’re better now cause they play more songs and they’re not as long.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Favorite tours?

I'm partial to Summer 97 in Europe. Something special about hearing them start to perfect the phunk at all these tiny clubs, the vibe at those shows must have been absolutely incredible. One of my highlights is the 7/9/97 YEM that features the Flecktones, in particular Trey's solo with the jazzy clean tone

The Amsterdam show where they get beyond blazed and gently caress up a lot is one of my all time favs

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

BigFactory posted:

:mods:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Shouldn’t this thread be called phish 4.0? Isn’t that what theyre calling post Covid phish?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Trey introduced his new languedoc as the "4.0 doc" so yes

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

BigFactory posted:

Shouldn’t this thread be called phish 4.0? Isn’t that what theyre calling post Covid phish?

But its the second Phish thread was the joke I was going for but yeah probably.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

BigFactory posted:

what the

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

clean jazz trey at 5 mins, one of my favorite treys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-2EZXOoFt8

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Ripcord trey ftw

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

BigFactory posted:

Ripcord trey ftw

DELETE THIS NEPHEW

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

11/30/19 was the last show I saw before quarantine/covid fuckery started

*thx sounds intensifies*

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I think the last one I saw was ghosts of the forest. When was that?

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C16C6QszLGI

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Trey rarely comes off well when he’s speaking. This video is no exception.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

https://youtu.be/YzpkJGxz38M

Its kinda surprising how...uninformed he is about amps tbh. He says "old new stock" and talks about the tonal qualities of solid gold pots? Like Trey what the gently caress are you talking about lmao. Theres a million weird things in that video. "I like American resistors", what?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Kvlt! posted:

https://youtu.be/YzpkJGxz38M

Its kinda surprising how...uninformed he is about amps tbh. He says "old new stock" and talks about the tonal qualities of solid gold pots? Like Trey what the gently caress are you talking about lmao. Theres a million weird things in that video. "I like American resistors", what?

He writes some good songs and he can shred but he’s kind of a dummy.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

BigFactory posted:

He writes some good songs and he can shred but he’s kind of a dummy.

Yeah hes definitely a guitar hero of mine like I adore Trey but he definitely talks above the level he thinks sometimes

Mike is the opposite. I feel like Mike knows the ancient secrets of the universe but just sits there back straight as an arrow droppin bass bombs. I mean seriously. The man's posture is immaculate.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Kvlt! posted:

Yeah hes definitely a guitar hero of mine like I adore Trey but he definitely talks above the level he thinks sometimes

Mike is the opposite. I feel like Mike knows the ancient secrets of the universe but just sits there back straight as an arrow droppin bass bombs. I mean seriously. The man's posture is immaculate.

He was coached up by his lawyer.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

BigFactory posted:

Trey rarely comes off well when he’s speaking. This video is no exception.

I think this is from 2005, and he's pretty obviously gacked out in this vid. I never thought he comes across poorly when he's not strung out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFSQtTcmObc

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

this man comes across as a perfect god and would very likely be my best friend if i ever got to know him, actually, the more i think about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvHhgG3vTqk

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
He always inspires me when he talks about music, he's passionate about it.

Also i'm activated to such a degree now i'm searching out recordings of My Mind's Got a Mind of It's Own.

I've also decided that Fast Enough For You is still one of my favorite tunes.

Also my youtube reqs showed me this, i'm sure y'all over it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxBJBAFcmSY

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Apr 16, 2021

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Holly Bowling also has her own jam band called Ghost Light who put on one hell of a show. She's wicked talented.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

algebra testes posted:

I've also decided that Fast Enough For You is still one of my favorite tunes.

Song holds up.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Each member’s individual musical peak

Trey: 97. Machine gun + whale call
Mike: 93. But the peak has been sustained for 30 years
Fish: 99. Mastered all styles
Page: new peak every tour. Thank you Page

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Page definitely sounds great now. He should use the synths more but hes a pleasure to listen to. Singing great too.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

BigFactory posted:

He should use the synths more

For real, that Viola Blue album kicked rear end

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Kvlt! posted:

For real, that Viola Blue album kicked rear end

Page is such a dork but when he’s on he’s what makes them special. Great harmony singer, doesn’t drown out the other guys (especially since he started being able to afford a real electric piano instead of whatever he was playing in the early 90s). Very solid. Seeing Strange Design a few years ago made my night.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

BigFactory posted:

Page is such a dork but when he’s on he’s what makes them special.

Agreed for 3.0

Anyone listen to any phish podcasts? Analyze Phish is pretty funny, though I wish it was more Harris (RIP) and less Scott. I’m listening to Long May They Run now, pretty enjoyable to hear some stories about the heyday, from the band themselves as well as various associates. Probably nothing that an obsessed fan doesn’t already know, but still a fun listen.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Agreed for 3.0

Anyone listen to any phish podcasts? Analyze Phish is pretty funny, though I wish it was more Harris (RIP) and less Scott. I’m listening to Long May They Run now, pretty enjoyable to hear some stories about the heyday, from the band themselves as well as various associates. Probably nothing that an obsessed fan doesn’t already know, but still a fun listen.

Tom Marshall had a podcast that I listened to for a few episodes but it was kinda boring. And the best Analyze Phish was the one with Tom Scharpling.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Or rather

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I did read This Has All Been Wonderful: A Travel Monologue From Summer 1994: The Year Phish Became Phish last year and that was quite pleasant.

Especially the part where he gets pulled into the tour bus and berated for rolling his eyes at the song choice during a show.

It's mostly fascinating due to like, that ever ending question: who are these people that go to all these shows? And in his case, a grad student who drove show to show selling cans of soft drink so he could make the next one.