Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

DalaranJ posted:

Panga is almost certainly losing a comical amount of points because randos can’t complete the levels he makes.

True, the number of plays vs. the number of likes is an important detail in this situation.

I actually went as far as to enter all my level data into a spreadsheet to see if I could make some sense out of the points, pattern of plays, etc. to no avail. Boos are the confounding variable here.

At one point I thought it simply worked out that 1 play = 1 point, and 1 like = 14 points based on a change in score I noticed once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Sorry for the double post (although it is 24 hours later). Thought I'd toss a level up for OMT if he's streaming MM2 this week. I made a Link level back on February 10th that I never posted here!

Hidden Sky Palace
0W8-CXX-KYG
Link has discovered a sky palace--what danger awaits our hero?

It's somewhat different from my other levels! I had a whole temple-like thing planned out....

Edit: Oh hey I just realized you can cheese the boss fight. I made it cheese proof at first, but made it a little easier and forgot about Link Vs. one-way gates. Oh well!

Prowler fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 12, 2021

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Prowler posted:

True, the number of plays vs. the number of likes is an important detail in this situation.

I actually went as far as to enter all my level data into a spreadsheet to see if I could make some sense out of the points, pattern of plays, etc. to no avail. Boos are the confounding variable here.

At one point I thought it simply worked out that 1 play = 1 point, and 1 like = 14 points based on a change in score I noticed once.

There’s some sort of weird curve to it as well. A brand new player uploading their first level can easily get hundreds of points from a couple of plays. The higher you go the less you make.

There’s also the matter of the weekly maker points which are some other calculation altogether. Back when I was actively making levels a new one could get me high on the weekly maker point leaderboard while my total maker points would actually go lower due to having a new level with fewer plays than my others.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

J-Spot posted:

There’s some sort of weird curve to it as well. A brand new player uploading their first level can easily get hundreds of points from a couple of plays. The higher you go the less you make.

There’s also the matter of the weekly maker points which are some other calculation altogether. Back when I was actively making levels a new one could get me high on the weekly maker point leaderboard while my total maker points would actually go lower due to having a new level with fewer plays than my others.

I'm hard at work again to reduce my maker points like this. The level I'm currently working on is perfect, as far as I'm concerned. Too bad it's also balls hard, with two flying sections, an auto-scroll section and getting through the level depends a lot on your timing on jumps. gently caress up, and all the moving poo poo carrying you around moves you out of view and then you die.

It's exactly as I wanted it! Now I just have to beat it three times (it got long enough to warrant a second save point) and man poo poo, why did I make this level so long?! :suicide:

If I eventually get it uploaded, you're all in for a treat. Or threat. :shepface:

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Finally made a level. Worked on it little by little over the course of months.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Level list for tonight's stream at 5 PM PDT/8 PM EDT

https://www.twitch.tv/onemoretimegfsn

1. Hidden Sky Palace
By: Prowler 0WB-CXX-KYG

2. Secret in the Basement
By: Good Sphere CVR-2T8-NBG

3. Boomerang Blink Collect-a-thon
By: A59A HNM-VKV-7FF

4. Yoshi Factory
By: Super Smash Club 97V-S7D-JQG

5. 1-4 Floodplain Speedway
By: Brakertech PP6-BL0-LHF

6. Spiky Terrain
By: Intense Burn MXN-C41-XFF

7. Poisonous Pell-Mell
By: The Lost Isles 11R-MT6-RGF

8. Pipes and Pipes
By: Lexfri CQM-3DP-JMF

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Also, this seems like the best thread for this, but I plan on playing a bunch of Mario Maker 1 levels next week since, well, the servers are shutting down soon. Anyone have some good levels for me to play? Is there a spreadsheet of goon levels for the original?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

OneMoreTime posted:

Also, this seems like the best thread for this, but I plan on playing a bunch of Mario Maker 1 levels next week since, well, the servers are shutting down soon. Anyone have some good levels for me to play? Is there a spreadsheet of goon levels for the original?

Yes, I can get it to you after work.

e: I assume you don’t have archives access?

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

OneMoreTime posted:

Heck yes! I’ll be watching.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

DalaranJ posted:

Yes, I can get it to you after work.

e: I assume you don’t have archives access?

Oh right, archives. I have platinum so I should be able to access them.

EDIT: Actually I don't! Huh, thought I did. Yeah if you could get me that spreadsheet that would be great!

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

OneMoreTime posted:

Oh right, archives. I have platinum so I should be able to access them.

EDIT: Actually I don't! Huh, thought I did. Yeah if you could get me that spreadsheet that would be great!

I recommend doing these in best rated order: http://gamesplusone.com/gmm/index.php?sort=rating&page=1

This is the master list. https://goo.gl/TWNmrQ

Obviously, you should also try to find costume levels.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
OK, I'm probably too late to be featured on this week's stream, but I finally made it! 100 Marios died to bring you this level:

Atmos Fear 03: Rocket Mania

ID: HSH-R3T-65G

Rush towards your ship before gravity catches up with you!

Story: OK, at first you needed to exit your launching space ship to open a barrier blocking your way. (Atmos Fear 01) Then your ship got captured by clouds while you were outside jumping around in the air. (Atmos Fear 02) Now we have the third and penultimate level of World 2: Your ship is free again but now you have to rush through the atmosphere, dodging tons of bullshit all the way to get back into your space ship before it leaves the atmosphere and you behind.

This level is my longest so far. It even has two save points instead of just one! Though the second one is a mercy flag near the end, so you're homefree as soon as you finish the auto-scrolling section. Which is balls-hard and even with plenty of feathers to keep you in fighting shape, missing the right rhythm when climbing will immediately kill you. (Ironically, if you can feel the rhythm the level turns suddenly oddly easy. But my thumbs now hurt because I'm ridiculously bad at this and uploading meant I had to get through my own bullshit multiple times.)

There's also lots of spikes and other surprises, because this is a Libluini-level. And multiple flying sections! Some combined with the auto-scroll part of the level! :v:

Difficulty level: gently caress off with this poo poo

Oh, and I also improved and re-uploaded my Super World:

MNJ-N28-3TG

The old version was missing the Launch Fortress level in World 1 and the new level for World 2. "Enjoy". :v:

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

DalaranJ posted:

I recommend doing these in best rated order: http://gamesplusone.com/gmm/index.php?sort=rating&page=1

This is the master list. https://goo.gl/TWNmrQ

Obviously, you should also try to find costume levels.

Awesome, I really appreciate this!

Also, we're live!

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Great stream OneMoreTime. GG!

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Fish 'n' Wiggle
3S6-1T2-1YF

The green dinosaur
Consumes cheep cheeps and wigglers
An endless buffet

New vanilla level! I made a slightly longer water section! It currently sits at a single play over 3 days, which is happening more and more these days...

NSMB, Forest/Water

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I made a level forever ago (November) and always meant to post it here, kept forgetting:

Floaty Pants Jamboree
4J1-MQD-50H

Enjoy! I'd love to see it played on stream, OMT!

animesiter
Apr 12, 2005
Another new stage (have a couple more ideas in the works too)
Sky Fortress
PPQ-O98-B5G

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I made a level forever ago (November) and always meant to post it here, kept forgetting:

Floaty Pants Jamboree
4J1-MQD-50H

Enjoy! I'd love to see it played on stream, OMT!

Nice! Yeah, I'll definitely play this. Not his week since it'll be a Mario Maker 1 stream, but I'll make sure to grab it for next week.

And thanks Good Sphere! It was a ton of fun.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

We're going live with tonight with original Super Mario Maker, just a few days before the servers go boom. You should join us tonight at 5 PM PDT and throw down some codes!

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

And we're live!

animesiter
Apr 12, 2005
Couple more stages

Thermal Shock
KCN-K5V-CSF
The Storm Breaker
YKX-FPV-HDG

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

1. Fish n' Wiggle
By: Prowler 3S6-1T2-1YF

2. Floaty Pants Janboree
By: Rupert Buttermilk 4J1-MQD-50H

3. Sky Fortress
By: Animesiter PPQ-O98-B5G

4. Castle Claustrophobia
By: Abasicmango 1WN-YBD-3HF

5. Ravana's level
36F-YHQ-KJG

6. Wasteland
By: Kam0835 19Y-L4J-K1G

7. Slay the Bowser
By: Juni 1PW-8HC-7BG

8. Super Gutboy Country: We R Nuts
By: Dreddbolt 2WM-KGY-PGF

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

And hey, we're live!

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Fish n' Wiggle has gotten 3 whole plays then completely fell off the radar, while two other levels hit the multiplayer rotation hard (one has twice as many multiplayer plays as normal plays). I had to change the tags for my Zelda level because of it. I know it'd be pissed if I got that in vs, lol.

New kaizo course I plan to subject OneMoreTime to:

A Romp with the Thwomps
HX1-TX1-H1H

My second Super Mario 3 kaizo level (although it's the only surviving one). It's very similar to my SMB ones, except for a single instance of kicking a shell while mid-air.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Tuned in, ready to watch!

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

1. Mimic's Ice Castle
By: Mimicz F10-RSJ-XVG

2. Castle Jump Rope
By: Silver Illusion 518-64P-97G

3. Shoota Goomba's Fiery Fortress
By: Capitaine Du Formage P37-WDL-CPG

4. Escape the Thwomp King
By: Dazzling Bedroom T5V-G0N-CCG

5. Piranha Plant Pipe Dream
By: Nintendog 13B-V4S-LJG

6. Koopa Pyramid
By: M0kkan WDL-C0D-4VG

7. Kiz-oh crap I'm screwed
By: Lil Gordo 434-PD3-YFF

8. Spike and Iggy's Sand Tomb
By: The Ender YKD-HSR-SMG

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

And we're live!

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious
I slightly revised the level I submitted to OMT last night if anyone is interested.

Toadette in a China Shop NN4-5BD-6VG

I made the beedle section more forgiving and decheesed the boss fight. There's still no extra coins anywhere, sorry to the person who commented that having to be perfect makes the level less good/fun.

I'm thinking of making a 3DW version of the level but I'll need to come up with enough good setups.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

After being stuck with the first 1/4 of a level and no ideas on how to continue it, I finally thought of how to complete it! Now I just need to find motivation to add coins and poo poo.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Possibly the last content addition, technically.

I'd pay for DLC.

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1382423424740524038?s=19

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

I'd pay for DLC.

Yeah : (. It's really disappointing that this is it. There's so much more they can add and I would gladly pay 10-20 dollars for something new.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Oh, hey, doublepost time. We're going live with Mario Maker 2 tonight since, well, I might be Vaccine-sick tomorrow and also I'll be looking at flowers? Plan is to go live a little early at 4 PM PDT

Adku's final challenge
By: Ok-Requirement gwf-1kl-7hg

2. Dramatically Drybones Desert
By: Mango Man JQQ-3T8-J3G

3. MWW 2-4 I Talk to the Wind
By: It Was Self 8NF-XQ7-19G

4. Swing Claw Glacier
By: The Suspicious Spider XV3-NJK-NTF

5. World 5 Wall of Corruption
By: ZepherSL2 4RG-X93-K0G

6. Hungry Hungry Yoshi
By: Terethien X4B-9DQ-XWF

7. New! Sonic 3D Blast U
By: Gdo22 HJ7-R24-NTF

8. Zelda: The Three Temples
By: Flamin_sheep C0Q-NVG-RJF

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

OneMoreTime posted:

Yeah : (. It's really disappointing that this is it. There's so much more they can add and I would gladly pay 10-20 dollars for something new.

True that. I'd even pay for some added functionality. Like, somehow marking a level with more than a few short categories. I often make levels wild enough nothing is really enough. (I think this is why my latest level is basically only gathering hatred right now: I made it as hard as I possible could, and the few people who played it basically immediately gave up, because they didn't realize how hard and extreme the ride would be, so they jumped off first chance they got. But all the people who actually want to get their balls crushed with a hammer, will never ever get to see this level now. Some kind of advanced sharing function would be neat, to make sure a level goes to its intended audience.)

Edit:

I just checked, my latest level is still at 0% completion. And only 3 even tried, man that's sad. Is there any place which expects hard levels I could share this clunker with?

Edit 2:

It's this one, if someone needs a challenge.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 16, 2021

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I had this level projected to be completed by around 5 today based on my progress, so of course OMT has an early stream! Hope you're doing well!

Meanwhile I made a new vanilla SMB3 ghost house level:

Boo Do You Think You Are?
48S-8XT-PPF
Bored boos brought buddies to bully the bros. Do you "possess" the courage?

...hard to make punny descriptions with 75 characters. I expect this to fall into the 10% range level of normal difficulty.

Libluini posted:

It's this one, if someone needs a challenge.

I got far in this level, but gave up out of annoyance. My patience wore thin because I dislike waiting around, especially if I have to retry, and loathe snake blocks. Some notes:

- Right after the checkpoint, it isn't clear to me what you're supposed to do. I would hurry and collect the cape, then fly up and out of the screen (and died a few times by hitting offscreen spikes or the one-up). This worked, but seems unintended.
- The part where I gave up after dying a few times was the blue snake block after the mechakoopa laser section. That platform is difficult to reach for seemingly no good reason, and if you don't activate it quickly enough, you're going to fail. Maybe not immediately, but the scroll won't line up and you will die and waste your time. I also died to activating snake blocks too early. You just gotta kinda hope you activate it at the right time.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

I'd pay for DLC.

It's loving insane to me that they just... stopped... adding things. Mario Maker is a game they could've have milked for a very long time but they just decided to... not... do that.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Time for Mario Maker 3

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Prowler posted:

I got far in this level, but gave up out of annoyance. My patience wore thin because I dislike waiting around, especially if I have to retry, and loathe snake blocks. Some notes:

- Right after the checkpoint, it isn't clear to me what you're supposed to do. I would hurry and collect the cape, then fly up and out of the screen (and died a few times by hitting offscreen spikes or the one-up). This worked, but seems unintended.
- The part where I gave up after dying a few times was the blue snake block after the mechakoopa laser section. That platform is difficult to reach for seemingly no good reason, and if you don't activate it quickly enough, you're going to fail. Maybe not immediately, but the scroll won't line up and you will die and waste your time. I also died to activating snake blocks too early. You just gotta kinda hope you activate it at the right time.

Far enough. When building the level, I at first completely hosed up the timing, so several parts I had to re-do a couple times to make it work. The thing is, this entire level's gimmick is "you have to activate everything at exactly the right time :evilface: " so everything kind of works like intended, even if it's both annoying and evil.

The section where you have to fly blind upwards grew out of an accident: When testing, I noticed to my astonishment that if you just race right and fly straight up while hugging the right wall, you're perfectly safe! I thought this was a neat surprise, so I left this section mostly unchanged.

-Originally, everything went way faster, but the more sections I added, the more complicated the timing got, until I had to dial the scrollspeed down a bit. (I also had to change some snake blocks to their slower versions, since I could not for the life of me make the timing work otherwise.)

Ironically, even when dying a bazillion times, testing and playing the level was great fun, and I had a real feeling of accomplishment when finishing the upload. :v:

I'll go easy on the auto-scrollers in the future, though. Right now there's just one more (an underwater auto-scroller) in my backlog, after that it's calmer, less insane levels for a while.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Macaluso posted:

It's loving insane to me that they just... stopped... adding things. Mario Maker is a game they could've have milked for a very long time but they just decided to... not... do that.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/software/index.html

Or, less officially: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Nintendo_Switch_video_games

Most importantly:

10 New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe 9.82 million
13 Super Mario 3D All-Stars 8.32 million
14 Super Mario Maker 2 6.91 million

It may be insane to you, but it probably makes sense from a business standpoint. Why continue to support a product that obviously did not meet sales expectations and was released almost two years ago when you can just rerelease old titles at full price?

Libluini posted:

I'll go easy on the auto-scrollers in the future, though. Right now there's just one more (an underwater auto-scroller) in my backlog, after that it's calmer, less insane levels for a while.

Oh! I was doing it as intended. Thought there might be a hidden vine.

I'm fine with auto-scrollers, but I don't think they mix with elements that require fairly narrow timing in an uncontrolled fashion (e.g., platforms that need to be activated, snake blocks). This also interacts poorly with elements that are indirectly triggered (i.e. those mecha koopas). It can lead to cascading failure.

To me, auto-scrollers work best at having things to spawn in a predictable fashion, forcing players to move the way you expect them to with few indicators.

Prowler fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 17, 2021

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Prowler posted:

Oh! I was doing it as intended. Thought there might be a hidden vine.

I'm fine with auto-scrollers, but I don't think they mix with elements that require fairly narrow timing in an uncontrolled fashion (e.g., platforms that need to be activated, snake blocks). This also interacts poorly with elements that are indirectly triggered (i.e. those mecha koopas). It can lead to cascading failure.

To me, auto-scrollers work best at having things to spawn in a predictable fashion, forcing players to move the way you expect them to with few indicators.

Ironically, my underwater-level is as predictable as it gets. You get one (1) gimmick at level start and as soon as you understand what's going on, no surprises until you hit the end.

This level here is what happens when a total rear end in a top hat who can't stop laughing at ludicrous deaths designs a level. Essentially, what you call a cascading failure was a cascading fun parade for me, I live for this poo poo. :v:

I agree that the level is a bit overloaded with dumb poo poo though, after this learning experience I'll probably try to stick with one type of never-ending death trap, instead of just piling it on. (I just have to write down: "not everyone likes being blasted with bullshit 24/7, they play video games to relax. now go back and re-design your level" in my notebook and read this sentence every time I think I'm finished.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE
Im sure this gets asked a fair bit but- is there a blog anywhere which compiles best of lists for mm2? Like doom wad style? I very ingrequently follow the reddit community a d also this thread but i am looking for just peoples lists of good old fashioned levels.