Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Sometimes I wonder if Vegas's secret is not having had enough time to bog themselves down with bad contracts.

They've been very disciplined about contracts, everyone apart from Pietrangelo expires at about age 33.

They're still benefitting from the magic first season, cause they managed to sign their core (Smith, Karlson, Marchessault and Theodore) to very long term slightly below market deals on the basis that they all wanted it to last.

It also helps that Fleury has rejuvenated himself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Cartoon Man posted:

With only 14 or so games left for most teams, I thought I’d look at loser points. Here’s the top five:

Only Montreal is going to the playoffs of this group.

Also, lol Dallas. They really don’t know how to overtime or shootout.

They're getting better but the problem is that they try to score in OT and that's just legit a bad and losing strategy. Keep away until the other team fucks up, idiots.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

We’ve had the 3 on 3 for a while now and I still think I like it. Though it does suck when it’s five minutes of boring keep away that goes to a shootout. Not sure it should be changed or tweaked though.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The 3 on 3 is fine but I'm not sure I could watch more than 5 minutes of it. It's more satisfying ending than the shootout, but still has no bearing on real hockey. It's essentially a mini game with its own rules and completely different strategy. Ties were still way worse.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
The jet's moved to 3 forwards in OT and it's great

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

For a hot minute 3v3 was the best thing in sport. Then they figured out that offsides don't matter and it got real lame.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

tarbrush posted:

They've been very disciplined about contracts, everyone apart from Pietrangelo expires at about age 33.

They're still benefitting from the magic first season, cause they managed to sign their core (Smith, Karlson, Marchessault and Theodore) to very long term slightly below market deals on the basis that they all wanted it to last.

It also helps that Fleury has rejuvenated himself

I'm now convinced MAF really was a no doubt Hall of Fame talent. It's hard to believe but legitimately true that no one ever taught him how to play goaltender--you know, things like "seal your post" and "square to the shooter" and "you have teammates and you are bad at playing the puck so stay the hell in your crease unless no one else is around"--until he was 30. It didn't happen until Mike Johnston came to the Penguins, and then he's had the best years of his career in his 30s even as his insane agility has waned. In his Vegas career he's had the kind of outside-the-crease adventures that are twitter catnip like 2-3 times a year. In the Bylsma era it was like 2-3 times a week.

He probably would have won multiple Vezinas had he been taught how to actually play goalie when he was 20, as other goalies are. He just coasted on his crazy talent for so long, and he never got to play for an actual NHL coach until Sullivan and Gallant.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
https://twitter.com/IcehockeyG/status/1383424489757626378?s=20

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

taytay

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Remember when people in this thread were saying Zibanejad isn't a first-line center? It's possible he finishes the season at a point-per-game at this rate. He's been unbelievable in the second half.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I don't remember can you find the quotes

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

fawning deference posted:

Remember when people in this thread were saying Zibanejad isn't a first-line center? It's possible he finishes the season at a point-per-game at this rate. He's been unbelievable in the second half.

And Strome is making a case to be kept.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Matt Zerella posted:

He's been excellent even without Panarin and at $4.5m next year seems like a steal now, and Buchnevich is also now close to a point-per-game and leads the team in goals.

Rangers are a very enviable position.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Matt Zerella posted:

I still don’t want to go long term with him, but I’m open to keeping him now.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

OldSenileGuy posted:

I still don’t want to go long term with him, but I’m open to keeping him now.

I get the hesitation but he’s more than proved himself IMO and should be piece going forward. Honestly who would they get to replace him? RNH? Yeah yeah we all dream of Eichel.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I know this isn't the GDT thread and I know I am a broken record but Panarin is a legit hockey god and I don't think I'd rather have anyone on my team besides McDavid in the league.

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
https://twitter.com/jbecher/status/1383473022359638023?s=20

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

jeeeesus :stare:

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

I know this isn't the GDT thread and I know I am a broken record but Panarin is a legit hockey god and I don't think I'd rather have anyone on my team besides McDavid in the league.

I mean yeah he's really good but there are definitely like five more players I'd take over him right now besides McDavid without thinking twice and a couple more I'd rather have long term because they produce slightly less but are 4-5 years younger

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I mean yeah he's really good but there are definitely like five more players I'd take over him right now besides McDavid without thinking twice and a couple more I'd rather have long term because they produce slightly less but are 4-5 years younger

Disregarding age, the only players who challenge him in my book are MacKinnon and Draisaitl in terms of puck dominance.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Sometimes I wonder if Vegas's secret is not having had enough time to bog themselves down with bad contracts.

That's definitely part of it. Cap space is so, so valuable. A team with all the cap space could convert it into a ton of assets.

Somehow there are still several GMs in this league who have yet to learn not to piss it away.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

The Philadelphia Flyers are dogshit garbage

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Disregarding age, the only players who challenge him in my book are MacKinnon and Draisaitl in terms of puck dominance.

How much Aleksander "Sasha" Barkov gametape have you seen?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

triple sulk posted:

The Philadelphia Flyers are dogshit garbage

https://twitter.com/charlieo_conn/status/1383487697210118156?s=20

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

You don't really need any stats at all to see the Flyers quit on AV two months ago.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

He is absolutely amazing. He just see’s the game on a whole other level and is seemingly just always in control of every situation.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Please fire AV

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Rangers might make the playoffs? Devils, Buffalo, Philly on the upcoming schedule. They’ve certainly got a shot if they can keep this.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I don’t even give a poo poo what happens in the playoffs I love the Washington Capitals Hockey Squadron.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Mind_Taker posted:

I don’t even give a poo poo what happens in the playoffs I love the Washington Capitals Hockey Squadron.

Mantha has slotted right in like he’s always been there. Ovechkin is amazing as always and it was great to see Kuznetsov get his poo poo together for a game, that needs to continue. And Joh Carlson is goddamn amazing once again.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Matt Zerella posted:

Rangers might make the playoffs? Devils, Buffalo, Philly on the upcoming schedule. They’ve certainly got a shot if they can keep this.

Boston has five more games against Buffalo and two against the Devils

fake edit: I don't mean that the Rangers have ZERO chance of getting in, but it's definitely going to come down to them being extremely hot and the Bruins suddenly turning into poo poo. Which isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 17, 2021

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

From the picture man:

Yeah the Rangers probably aren’t making the playoffs barring a miracle. kind of weird because they seem similarly good to some of the top 4 teams but I guess they just poo poo the bed a few too many games?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Mind_Taker posted:

From the picture man:

Yeah the Rangers probably aren’t making the playoffs barring a miracle. kind of weird because they seem similarly good to some of the top 4 teams but I guess they just poo poo the bed a few too many games?

Yeah rough start to the season at least

If Boston hits a slump and the rangers keep going then it could change but seems unlikely

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Rangers end their season with two games against Boston, which could be interesting. Boston also has their two make up games after that though, against Washington and NYI. Although those two teams seem like they'll likely already be secure in their playoff positions by then and resting players.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

Mind_Taker posted:

From the picture man:

I love that NJ is at 0.0004% but Buffalo is ~0%.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Pungry posted:

How much Aleksander "Sasha" Barkov gametape have you seen?

Barkov is a stunningly superb player and a good counter. I would not argue too much against this but Panarin in terms of driving offense and dominating the ice with the puck is second to McDavid imo.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Barkov is a stunningly superb player and a good counter. I would not argue too much against this but Panarin in terms of driving offense and dominating the ice with the puck is second to McDavid imo.

Probably born out by stats too
Just looking at the offensive side he’s probably only second to McDavid

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

There's another side??

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Wade Allison scored, so that's cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

50 points in 33 games is obscene. He'd likely be 2nd in scoring had he not missed two weeks mid-season.