Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. I think I've decided to hold off on the new bike for a while until I can increase my budget a little bit. I have lots of information I didn't have before and that's definitely going to help. In the meantime I'm going to focus on improving fundamentals and I got my bike a much needed tune up. Also had the LBS install a drop post after having a similar discussion with the owner to the one I had here. It's not going to be ready for a bit but that will give my bruised tailbone a few days to feel better. I actually bent my saddle with my rear end after landing too hard the other day :xd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

There's supposed to be a cap here, right? My crank fell off mid ride and I can't remember what it looked like. Photos online seem to show only drive-side pictures.

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant
Im going with yes - looks like you are missing the preload nut. Probably wont be an issue right now - but it might work loose over time.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Thanks. I cut the ride short. I didn't want to get any grit in there. The crank arm came off right when I was standing up to mash the pedals on a little climb and I nearly ate poo poo.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

me your dad posted:

Thanks. I cut the ride short. I didn't want to get any grit in there. The crank arm came off right when I was standing up to mash the pedals on a little climb and I nearly ate poo poo.

How did you reinstall it?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

This happened repeatedly on my old bike. You need that cap to get the crank far enough on before tightening the pinch bolts. I lost mine too initially and it kept falling off until it was replaced.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

How did you reinstall it?

It has two pinch bolts that secured it for the ride home. I ordered the cap.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Make sure you have the bottom bracket tool to thread it in also. Fyi just in case. It's a weird star shape special thing, of course.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Just test rode the new SC 5010 and if you're under 6' and riding the factory 800mm bars you either have gorilla proportions or you're a loving psycho.

Other notable things: not having a fork lockout is weird and I dunno if I'll get used to it for fire-roads etc, shimano 12spd is ok but the downshift action is way too heavy, long droppers are NICE.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Found a slightly exposed trail today, pretty freaky but I got down it!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Aphex- posted:

Found a slightly exposed trail today, pretty freaky but I got down it!

Looks great!

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Those who've ridden Moab, I have a few questions.

Will be there in early June. Considering doing as much of the whole enchilada as I can.
1. Difficulty: I live out around Pisgah and Im pretty used to jank, just not western jank. It really doesnt look awful to me but I will say Im not super comfortable with drops more than 2-3ft unless they have a clean run in.
2. Weather: Anyone have experience for late May early June conditions to expect along the elevation change?
3. Bike rental: At home I ride an evil following and a karate monkey. Considering how long and chunky it looks I figure I'm looking more at available rentals of an Offering, Spesh Enduro, Ripmo, or maybe stumpy. Any feelings if the Enduro is too much bike?

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

Sadi posted:

Will be there in early June. Considering doing as much of the whole enchilada as I can.
1. Difficulty: I live out around Pisgah and Im pretty used to jank, just not western jank. It really doesnt look awful to me but I will say Im not super comfortable with drops more than 2-3ft unless they have a clean run in.
2. Weather: Anyone have experience for late May early June conditions to expect along the elevation change?
3. Bike rental: At home I ride an evil following and a karate monkey. Considering how long and chunky it looks I figure I'm looking more at available rentals of an Offering, Spesh Enduro, Ripmo, or maybe stumpy. Any feelings if the Enduro is too much bike?

1. The only mandatory drops that I can recall are on the fast doubletrack before the last section of singletrack. You should see them coming. They’re maybe three feet. You can’t see some the landings, but the ones on the main trail are all good. Other than that, it’s mostly rocky jank. There are mandatory tech sections (the Snotch) that are intimidating, but you’ll see them coming.

2. If conditions are good up to Burro Pass, bring a jacket. It starts with a climb, but it can be very cold up there. Hazzard County is the next stop down and can be chilly, but it also starts with a climb. Bring a lot of water.

3. The Enduro isn’t too much bike for that trail. You’ll be happy to have the wheelbase and travel when you’re going fast down the jeep road portions. The Offering or Ripmo would also be great.

Bud Manstrong fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Apr 19, 2021

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3e19CzlIcY

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Sadi posted:

It's unrelentingly chunky all the way down, so definitely get a big bike. Also it's so much downhill that you're not going to get punished on climbs.

Also it's June, it's gonna be fuckin hot.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

evil_bunnY posted:

Just test rode the new SC 5010 and if you're under 6' and riding the factory 800mm bars you either have gorilla proportions or you're a loving psycho.

Other notable things: not having a fork lockout is weird and I dunno if I'll get used to it for fire-roads etc, shimano 12spd is ok but the downshift action is way too heavy, long droppers are NICE.

Which fork did you get on your build? Pike or a 34?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

yes

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

vikingstrike posted:

Which fork did you get on your build? Pike or a 34?
XT build with the Pike. I, uh, need to get used to it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Eejit posted:

Also it's June, it's gonna be fuckin hot.

Yeah this. 108 degrees last time I was there in June with blistering sun. Bring twice the water and twice the sunscreen (and apply it twice as often).

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

That was some sweet ripping and just fun as hell.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

At the advice of Bud Manstrong I just put in an order for chains, brake pads, tires, and a cassette. Hopefully I will have it all when I might need it later this year....

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I’ve got a chain and and some extra pads, but have been waiting on tires. Local shops here in Boulder still have all of the popular Maxxis options in stock. I can’t stomach an extra X01 cassette, though.

Bike industry, please recover back to your normal state. Thanks, VS.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

People trying to buy video cards think they have it bad.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Be me. Try to do some :psyduck: line inside the only rock in the middle of the trail. Scratch my brand new bars. At least they match the rest of the bike now... :qq:

https://i.imgur.com/3dR9bj5.mp4

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

mashed_penguin posted:

Be me. Try to do some :psyduck: line inside the only rock in the middle of the trail. Scratch my brand new bars. At least they match the rest of the bike now... :qq:

https://i.imgur.com/3dR9bj5.mp4

Where is this? Looks great

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Burke mountain BC. Trail is called Six. It is a lot of fun and after a wet early spring is almost getting too dry now. Part of why I tried to go inside is the outside of the corner looked really loose.

https://www.trailforks.com/trails/six-63248/

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
My 5 year old is better in the air than I am.
https://imgur.com/EpxbnDP.mp4

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

n8r posted:

My 5 year old is better in the air than I am.

:krad:

He'll be in rampage before you know it.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I follow my 17 year old round on an ebike with panniers carrying her stuff, it’s good because she can eat real foo

Yeh welcome to your (awesome) future in maybe 3 years time friend

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
gonna take a wild guess you mean 7 year old

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
No she’s 17, but n8r’s kid seems to be ahead of her already.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Hey mtb thread.
I picked up a mtb a few months ago and have been enjoying bouncy times offroad.
I decided to sign up for a 60mi mtb race two weeks from now because, hey, why not. Haven't done anything similar except one similar distance gravel race. Would love some critique of pacing/nutrition/what to carry/what I'm forgetting.

Route details:
4 laps of this https://www.strava.com/segments/20581541, roughly 1200' of elevation per lap. Mix of blue & green singletrack and fireroad "climbs" (can it be a climb with only 1200' of elevation per lap?)
2 aid stations, but because covid it's no food/water, just first aid + mechanical support. They allow a drop bag at one of them.

What I'm planning on having with me on the bike:
On the Biek:
Water: 2 large bottles, 1 carb 1 electrolyte
lil' multi tool
pump

On Me (either jersey pockets or hip pack, not sure):
tube, 1 co2, levers, dynaplug + spares, wolftooth thing with spare quicklinks, chainbreaker. 1 big tire boot, patchkit.
a few zipties
cell phone
food:
baggie of 6 fig newtons + 2 dates (70g carbs)
1 bag of probar bolt gels (40g carbs)
1 clif nut butter bar (27g carbs)
(plus the 16g in the carb bottle)

Thinking about picking up a OneUp EDC pump to reduce stuff in my pockets, and using a voile strap to put the tube on the frame.

In my drop bag:
6 big bottles (enough so I can replace both each lap, same split of carb/electrolyte)
3 more figgy + date baggies
2 gels
1 banana
2 clif bars
maybe one savory food thing? rice cake or potatoes?
sunscreen - spray on kind

So... what am I missing? What do I need to know about doin' one of these races?

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

bicievino posted:

Thinking about picking up a OneUp EDC pump to reduce stuff in my pockets, and using a voile strap to put the tube on the frame.

Your list looks good to me. I can totally recommend the EDC pump. I really like mine, even without the storage it seems like a really solid pump and you can use the nozzle of it with a CO2 so thats one less thing to bring. I have their edc tool in mine with their plug kit and its got pretty much everything I need for backpack less rides closer to home.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

mashed_penguin posted:

Your list looks good to me. I can totally recommend the EDC pump. I really like mine, even without the storage it seems like a really solid pump and you can use the nozzle of it with a CO2 so thats one less thing to bring. I have their edc tool in mine with their plug kit and its got pretty much everything I need for backpack less rides closer to home.

Cool, good to know. Hoping I can find one in stock.

Prolly won't mess with the plug kit - I really prefer dynaplugs to bacon strips. Figure I'll jam zipties or something in that space instead?

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

bicievino posted:

Prolly won't mess with the plug kit - I really prefer dynaplugs to bacon strips. Figure I'll jam zipties or something in that space instead?

Used my zip ties twice on the White Rim two weeks ago, strongly recommend

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yea strap the tube to your bike so you don't have it in your pockets. I have a backcountry research strap but the blackburn deal is pretty good too and offers moderately more protection to the tube and will hold your lever, co2, and multitool, although I like to keep my tool and plug kit in a pocket for quicker access. Taping a tube into the bottom of the triangle also works. Plug and co2 should be your first attempt at a leaky tire and only swap in a tube and get out the pump if you have to. My goal in races is to have as little on me as possible so just a small tool and snacks until the next time I can stop/get a handup. And then force yourself to eat what you planned to eat.

If there's a spot you can line up all your bottles for quicker access at the aid station, like on the ground nearby, that would save you some time vs getting your bag (I know some aid stations are pretty good about seeing your number and getting things out but who knows how that's going to work).

Also you're swapping on faster, lighter tires right?

Speaking of zip ties, I bring a hole punch, scissors, utility knife, and zip ties to races and trim my number plates to fit around the cables and add extra holes if I need and then use zip ties instead of the twist ties you usually get.

jamal fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 20, 2021

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

bicievino posted:

Yeah its a big storage space. You could probably fit a CO2 cartridge and zip ties in the handle. I saw a really sweet idea on pinkbike the other day to wrap some duct tape around the handle of the pump. Could easly put a couple of feet around the handle without it being noticeable and very useful in a pinch. If you use black duct tape it wouldn't be obvious at all.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

jamal posted:

Yea strap the tube to your bike so you don't have it in your pockets. I have a backcountry research strap but the blackburn deal is pretty good too and offers moderately more protection to the tube and will hold your lever, co2, and multitool, although I like to keep my tool and plug kit in a pocket for quicker access. Taping a tube into the bottom of the triangle also works. Plug and co2 should be your first attempt at a leaky tire and only swap in a tube and get out the pump if you have to. My goal in races is to have as little on me as possible so just a small tool and snacks until the next time I can stop/get a handup. And then force yourself to eat what you planned to eat.

If there's a spot you can line up all your bottles for quicker access at the aid station, like on the ground nearby, that would save you some time vs getting your bag (I know some aid stations are pretty good about seeing your number and getting things out but who knows how that's going to work).

Also you're swapping on faster, lighter tires right?

Speaking of zip ties, I bring a hole punch, scissors, utility knife, and zip ties to races and trim my number plates to fit around the cables and add extra holes if I need and then use zip ties instead of the twist ties you usually get.

Oooh thanks.

I'm expecting aid station to be a bit of a cluster cause covid. we drop the bags off at start/finish, they take them to the aid station, so no pre-setting-up my spot.

I'm planning to go back to the tires the bike came with (Spesh Ground Control front, Fast Trak rear) instead of the maxxis DHF/DHR2 I recently put on for muddy rooty poo poo. A friend told me there are no big gnarly roots of an kind to worry about.

Good call on the stuff for the number plate, for some reason I was just thinking of a number I'd pin on. Gotta make that number plate aero AF, right?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

:rip: friend's rear mech

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Boogalo posted:

:rip: friend's rear mech

crunchyyy