Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Weaponized Autism posted:

I love that NJ is at 0.0004% but Buffalo is ~0%.

I thought Buffalo was mathematically eliminated or was that going to happen today with the Rangers winning?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Ovechkin is now at 730 career goals, one back of Dionne for #5 all time

goals

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jhet posted:

I thought Buffalo was mathematically eliminated or was that going to happen today with the Rangers winning?

Rags winning means Buffalo must take 2 points in their game today to avoid elimination

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

fawning deference posted:

I know this isn't the GDT thread and I know I am a broken record but Panarin is a legit hockey god and I don't think I'd rather have anyone on my team besides McDavid in the league.

While I don't agree per se, he is certainly the most dominant Rangers forward since Jagr.

Mind_Taker posted:

I don’t even give a poo poo what happens in the playoffs I love the Washington Capitals Hockey Squadron.

They are good boys.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Ever seen this before?

https://twitter.com/Capitals/status/1383464196587724804?s=20

Here’s another.

https://twitter.com/Capitals/status/1383477899043377167?s=20

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I hope when it’s all said and done, some crazy person combs through all the footage and determines what percent of his goals are that exact same goal

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It's about 70%

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

OldSenileGuy posted:

I hope when it’s all said and done, some crazy person combs through all the footage and determines what percent of his goals are that exact same goal

Its a few years out of date now, but https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXTa9qsr2wg

25 mins of the Ovechkin spot

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's somewhere between 14 and 88 percent.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

It’s been said over and over again but it’s amazing that literally everyone on the ice knows what is going to happen and they’re completely powerless to stop it.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Thus ends the Sabres

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

inferis posted:

It’s been said over and over again but it’s amazing that literally everyone on the ice knows what is going to happen and they’re completely powerless to stop it.

Most teams cheat somebody over to him. The Flyers just didn’t care cause they’ve clearly given up on the coach and season. Hell they probably wanna see him chase Gretzky too.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

OV: don’t mind me, I’m just over here hittin’ dingers

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Are they gonna plop a big 8 in the middle of the ice when he retires, like they did with Gretzky's office?

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I figure they retire his number before his last game and have 8's instead of faceoff dots minus center ice. Eight 8's

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I'm still blown away that Ovie has done that same goal 400 or so times and yet he's still left all alone there every single time. You'd think defenders would learn to cover him by now.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm sure coaches do chant DON'T LET OVI SHOOT in the locker room but you can't fixate on one player, glue a winger to Ovechkin and someone else is gonna get open and have a nice shot. Especially on the PK.

Plus he has an epic shot. Even if you do cover him he's gonna drill it into the net.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I imagine every coach yelling “Noooooo!” when Ovie is about to sock a dinger like Wolf Stansson yells when Keenan is lining up a knucklepuck.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

I'm still blown away that Ovie has done that same goal 400 or so times and yet he's still left all alone there every single time. You'd think defenders would learn to cover him by now.

Who wants to get in front of that bomb

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Ginette Reno posted:

Who wants to get in front of that bomb

John Tortorella.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Devils 9 out of 10 and 3 in a row vs the Rangers. They are probably worse than the Sabres.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

inferis posted:

Well, Mariano Rivera made HOF career of throwing just one pitch.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

ThinkTank posted:

Having one dude on him all of the time and the rest of the team playing like a 4 on 3 would probably be preferable when you are on the pk.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

ThinkTank posted:

Everyone hated Oates as a coach in Washington (and rightfully so) but one good thing he did was implement the 1-3-1 powerplay that the Caps still use to this day. If you were to go back and look at a highlight reel of Ovi's goals, he didn't actually start blasting away from The Ovi Spot until around 2012-13. I mean, he did sometimes, but it didn't become as strongly associated with him until then.

Also if you have a guy dedicated to Ovechkin on the powerplay that just means Backstrom/Kuznetsov/Oshie/Carlson are playing 4-3 and that's just as bad.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

deoju posted:

Having one dude on him all of the time and the rest of the team playing like a 4 on 3 would probably be preferable when you are on the pk.

This usually happens most games. They’re whole power play is set up around somebody on Ovechkin. It lets them go down low then up to Oshie in the bumper slot for a tic tac goal. Or they just feed Ovi regardless of coverage cause lol it usually works.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

ThinkTank posted:

I remember thinking Laine was going to make that spot his office as well, but teams adapted/he got worse and OV just keeps making it look easy

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
in canucks news:

https://twitter.com/taj1944/status/1383583366541307906?s=19

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

lol Flyers but, then again, lmao vancouver

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Island Nation posted:

I figure they retire his number before his last game and have 8's instead of faceoff dots minus center ice. Eight 8's

Can't wait for every dude wearing 8 to have to pick a new number after the NHL decides to retire it league-wide.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
I hate the Caps PP coach because I think he in actuality sucks and could do more, but at the same time why do more when you just got OV hitting dingers.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Derpies posted:

I hate the Caps PP coach because I think he in actuality sucks and could do more, but at the same time why do more when you just got OV hitting dingers.

Ovi’s been more mobile this year, he’s gone down by the net a lot or switched up with Carlson on top.

But yeah why fix it when it keeps working.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/SB-Blogs/Breaking-News/2021/04/NHL-jerseys.aspx

Don’t worry, I’m sure it’s just a small trial for a season so they can recoup some lost revenue due to Covid.

This will never happen:

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Apr 18, 2021

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Cartoon Man posted:

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/SB-Blogs/Breaking-News/2021/04/NHL-jerseys.aspx

Don’t worry, I’m sure it’s just a small trial for a season so they can recoup some lost revenue due to Covid.

gently caress

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

The helmet ads are fine although they should probably color-coordinate them more to match their uniform colors.

The 2 virtual ads on the ice are also fine but the tech still has room to improve. Currently they're not implementing any motion blur to it, so when the cam is panning it looks out of place. The ad is also visible through white uniforms, which sounds worse than it is, but when you happen to catch it, it's irksome.

No doubt in a few years they'll follow the example of IIHF national uniforms, so in addition to the helmet ads there's an ad on each sleeve. I'll live with that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The true costs of a pandemic reveal itself.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

xzzy posted:

The true costs of a pandemic reveal itself.

This was always coming. The pandemic just sped it up.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Good soup! posted:

lol Flyers but, then again, lmao vancouver

Fans of loser franchises need solidarity at a time like this, not resorting to being crabs in a bucket.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Gerblederp posted:

This was always coming. The pandemic just sped it up.

This

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Is the ad revenue done is such a way that it doesn't count towards revenue/cap calculations? Because I can imagine that being the case