Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Finally the 6yo was willing to learn first capture with me, obviously I let him double atari me a couple times, surrounded him a couple times, then arranged a ladder and he thought chasing me all the way across the board was funny as gently caress

So, a success! How would I go about teaching him a small area version, what do folks use to cordon off most of the board?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I would print a grid.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
This may help.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

silvergoose posted:

So, a success! How would I go about teaching him a small area version, what do folks use to cordon off most of the board?
I just drew a small grid.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Hm. I'll float the idea, he cares a lot about components so dunno if paper would excite him.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
In that case you could use a regular board cordoned off with painter's tape.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

poo poo, okay so instead, he just insists on playing on the whole board.

Next step is a 9 stone handicap and see how easy I need to go in order to make it not a blowout.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I used painter's tape and my wife enjoyed it, or feigned doing so. Still need to test on my 5yo.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

silvergoose posted:

Next step is a 9 stone handicap and see how easy I need to go in order to make it not a blowout.

I don't know your rank, but I've seen things like a 13 stone handicap for this sort of purpose.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I'm prooooobably around 12k or something? ddk for sure but not a beginner.

13 might be the way to go yeah, I'll have to see. He's not great at losing, what with being six, but if it's not too far apart it should be okay.

Then I guess just do that until he wins multiple games and start reducing it.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

silvergoose posted:

13 might be the way to go yeah, I'll have to see. He's not great at losing, what with being six, but if it's not too far apart it should be okay.

Then I guess just do that until he wins multiple games and start reducing it.

I just found https://senseis.xmp.net/?HandicapsBeyondNineStones

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

silvergoose posted:

The other way to handle a big skill gap is to change your own objective to "win [or lose] by exactly half a point".

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

The discord ITGO has started to do weekly meetings on KGS in the ITGO room under social if anyone reading this thread would like to join. We meet on Thursdays from around 7 pm central and play until about 11 pm.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Any suggestions for ordering double convex stones? I've been playing with discount plastic stones because I'm cheap and don't play consistently, but I'll have them for decades so maybe I should just buy something that feels decent already.

Edit: My 3yo and 5yo just played four legit games of (Capture) Go on a 5x5, wonder how long this will last.

Edit 2: It lasted four games.

Edit 3: My 5yo just connected stones to avoid being captured and then my 3yo just did the same, I'm dying.

PerniciousKnid fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 17, 2021

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

PerniciousKnid posted:

Any suggestions for ordering double convex stones? I've been playing with discount plastic stones because I'm cheap and don't play consistently, but I'll have them for decades so maybe I should just buy something that feels decent already.

Edit: My 3yo and 5yo just played four legit games of (Capture) Go on a 5x5, wonder how long this will last.

Edit 2: It lasted four games.

Edit 3: My 5yo just connected stones to avoid being captured and then my 3yo just did the same, I'm dying.

I got some double convex yunzi stones recently. They're very nice, weren't too expensive.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Nephzinho posted:

I got some double convex yunzi stones recently. They're very nice, weren't too expensive.

Where did you buy them?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

PerniciousKnid posted:

Where did you buy them?

Yellow Mountain Imports restocked them in January, not sure if they're still ins tock. You can also get them on aliexpress, though obvious reliability caveats apply.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Going to be unexpectedly traveling for a couple of weeks - anyone have any particularly good lectures on youtube to recommend?

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

Found Something Great Here

Nephzinho posted:

Going to be unexpectedly traveling for a couple of weeks - anyone have any particularly good lectures on youtube to recommend?

Around what strength level are you looking for? For DDK/SDK the early Nick Sibicky videos are great, for stronger players maybe the Michael Redmond AI analyses. Both of them also made some very beginner-friendly novice videos recently.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

CaptainEO posted:

Around what strength level are you looking for? For DDK/SDK the early Nick Sibicky videos are great, for stronger players maybe the Michael Redmond AI analyses. Both of them also made some very beginner-friendly novice videos recently.

4k last time I checked.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Who is Ceezy

perc2
May 16, 2020

Looking fondly at my OP from all those years ago, friends. Let's play some Go

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

just got back into the game, been playing with my very strong friend recently IRL.

picked up a yellow mountain board with single convex stones (not yunzi), and I am surprised how whack the stones feel to place on the board.

sound is very bad, and my cheap double convex glass stones feel better to play.

to make this post useful, and not just a rant, a question:

Any cheap double convex stones with decent QA? My cheap glass stones are different sizes, and differ in shape. I was thinking about buying the double convex yunzi stones from yellow mountain, but its been years since I used stones that nice, and I'm not sure I need them.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I think you should just get the yunzi stones if you can afford them. You'll use them forever so you'll get your money's worth eventually. It's not disposable like a phone or something.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
Been playing a bit again on KGS. Missed me some GO.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I've noticed a difference in play styles between OGS and Goquest at my level (10k on ogs). OGS players love playing the 3-3 points in 9x9, but Goquest ones don't. I wonder why? I started out on Goquest for 9x9 and am having trouble punishing it. I'm sure it's suboptimal though, playing 3-3 seems like such a small move a lot of the time.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
I think playing the 4-4 on top is the best response to a 3-3 opening on a 9x9. If not, maybe 5-5 (by transposition, since 5-5 is a good opening and 3-3 is a bad response to it)?

Edit: Where are people playing these days? I've historically been mostly OGS but recently have been on KGS a bit thanks to the the new web client for it; it's pretty good (minus the lack of automatch and it not letting you stay in the lobby through a disconnect).

Scythe fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jul 28, 2021

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Scythe posted:

I think playing the 4-4 on top is the best response to a 3-3 opening on a 9x9. If not, maybe 5-5 (by transposition, since 5-5 is a good opening and 3-3 is a bad response to it)?

Edit: Where are people playing these days? I've historically been mostly OGS but recently have been on KGS a bit thanks to the the new web client for it; it's pretty good (minus the lack of automatch and it not letting you stay in the lobby through a disconnect).

I only really play goquest and ogs now. OGS has plenty of games at my rank and the features and ui are great.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
annual "i'm going to play Go again, for real this time" manic period occurring now. going to spend my afternoons doing looking over a pro game, doing tsumego, and then playing and reviewing games on OGS. 5 straight hours of unfiltered Go at least 3 times a week lets gooo.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
why is baduktv's sponsor always swollen prostate pills? it's been like this for years

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Are there any good books for studying 9x9 or 13x13? I'm short on time so I only ever play baby Go.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

PerniciousKnid posted:

Are there any good books for studying 9x9 or 13x13? I'm short on time so I only ever play baby Go.

There's a great free ebook for 9x9, looks like it got revised in 2019: 81 Little Lions.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

PerniciousKnid posted:

No a book but the Crazy 9 YouTube series about 9x9 is one of the best resources on the game.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
fox 6kyus are insane

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
a little about my tsumego regimen. currently i have a big ol set of problem sgfs, including cho chikun's encyclopedia of life and death. I'm grinding thru the elementary set of 900 problems in 30 sets of 30, using GoGrinder. I'll go through a set in one sitting, not spending very much time on each one and if I get all of them correct then I move onto the next set. Currently I'm on set 5. A lot of the time I just guess and if I get the problem wrong too much I'll look at the answer, and then I might remember it next run through, which hopefully is good for intuition, we'll see.

i'll do a run through of whatever set im on randomly throughout the day but also three times a week I have about 2 hours set aside to both play over the first 100 moves of a pro game on my real board and then focus on this tsumego routine after that.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

mycophobia posted:

fox 6kyus are insane

insane how? i'm somewhere around 6k on KGS, haven't tried fox but might if the playstyle is super different.

also, thanks for the reminder to do more tsumego, your regimen seems good even though i know dans are gonna be like "read more, don't guess"

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Scythe posted:

insane how? i'm somewhere around 6k on KGS, haven't tried fox but might if the playstyle is super different.

also, thanks for the reminder to do more tsumego, your regimen seems good even though i know dans are gonna be like "read more, don't guess"

one guy was super passive and let me hane over and get ahead of him basically to draw a line of territory across the whole board and at no point tried to reduce or invade, others are extremely aggressive and will try really unreasonable things and kill themselves. currently 6k feels kind of like kgs 10k if I can offer a vague estimate. I don't remember 6k's being quite this weak last time I played but ive won 5 games in a row on it so far pretty handily (though one I should've lost but the guy resigned lol).

the big advantage of Fox is that it's teeming with players and you can press a button to instantly get a match, no negotiation or whatever. kind of like KGS automatch but even more streamlined because there's very few settings

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

Found Something Great Here
Apologies in advance if this is too self-promotional, but if you want gamified tsumego practice, that’s basically the core feature of my app: https://badukpop.com. The free version allows at least 15 Tsumego per day (more if you get them all right). We currently have about 4,600 problems, the majority of which are at beginner-friendly levels.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Thanks for all the fun memories, dudes.

Bang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Has anybody got any tips or experience with teaching go to young children?

I've started trying to teach my 4 year old first capture Go on a 5x5 grid by telling her we're trying to stop the pieces from being able to escape so we can grab them! It seems to be working out pretty well so far, at least for keeping her attention for short periods before we start making patterns and pictures with the stones.
Another update:

She's almost 6 and we're semiregularly playing on a 9x9 board. I will lose 100% of the time when I give her 4 stones handicap and I have to work pretty hard to win with 3, and she's learnt to connect things up to keep them safe and her main strategy is to block me as much as she can.