Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I feel like this game needs to replace Return Fire because I know I've forgotten it multiple times.

RPG maker, Japanese designer, got a translation at someone point in the last few years. You're in a pyramid, it's kind of a horror game, that's all I know about it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

al-azad posted:

I feel like this game needs to replace Return Fire because I know I've forgotten it multiple times.

RPG maker, Japanese designer, got a translation at someone point in the last few years. You're in a pyramid, it's kind of a horror game, that's all I know about it!

Peret em Heru: For the Prisoners

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

SkeletonHero posted:

I remember seeing an image from either an old arcade game or a modern throwback that was just a text screen saying something like "Touch as much booty as you can! Kill the wizard when you see him!" and I was wondering what that was from. I can't find the image itself and searching those phrases does give me some pretty interesting results, but nothing that helps me figure out what it is.

The first time I saw that image was a tweet from @frankcifaldi, a man who knows his old video games. Turns out he replied with the name of the game to someone asking about it.

https://twitter.com/frankcifaldi/status/414046756439982081

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwHpZtNIDUI

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 1, 2021

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Early Windows (3.11 or early 95) era. Top-down shooter where the setting was inside your computer, i.e. the levels were pulled from your actual directory structure and you had to defend your files against viruses and other stuff. I remember it had a racing mode (or mod?) where you could pull tight turns using a grappling hook.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Pierzak posted:

Early Windows (3.11 or early 95) era. Top-down shooter where the setting was inside your computer, i.e. the levels were pulled from your actual directory structure and you had to defend your files against viruses and other stuff. I remember it had a racing mode (or mod?) where you could pull tight turns using a grappling hook.

Virus: The Game
Edit: oh wait you said top down, sorry.

Quote-Unquote fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 1, 2021

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Definitely not this. It was top-down view and definitely not 3D.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
A game developer game, I think it was the second or third in a series. It was almost entirely text-based except for designing chip layouts on console circuitboards. You could start in different nations which had different VAT laws and audiences and I think it started in the lates 70s. I think the game came out a little over a decade ago and you had to email the developer to buy it.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Pierzak posted:

Maybe Operation: Inner Space? God, those were the days.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

MMAgCh posted:

Maybe Operation: Inner Space? God, those were the days.

Yes, this is it! It even has the racing mode and grapple in the screenshots! :swoon:

I remember getting convinced as a kid that the game will delete your actual files if you destroy them in-game :haw:

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 1, 2021

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
This game and Warpath defined an entire era of gaming for me.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Anyone remember a downloadable hot wheels game? Had like three tracks and was 3d, one was a boring country side desert race while another was in one of those crazy hot wheel courses with loops and boosters.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Too big to be downloadable for its time, but maybe one of the Hot Wheels Stunt Track Driver games. They included demo discs of it with some of the toys back in the 90s.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ios or regular download? Either way there were only 15 total so shouldn't be too hard to find

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Custard Undies posted:

Sadly no, other than I think it was 3D models.

Could possibly have been on the LithTech engine, as that first launched in 1998 with Shogo and Blood 2 which would have been around the time frame I have in my head.

The more I think of it though, the more I really think it was a game that was cancelled/never released outside of the demo.

I love the history of obscure fps games, so the idea of finding something I never heard of exited me. Also, the fact that this game hasn't been found is incredibly frustrating. Custard Undies, your Alcatraz mystery has lodged itself in my head...

...which is why I thought of it when I came across this. Obscure budget title that left no cultural footprint, LithTech engine, first person shooter, has the player escaping Alcatraz.

Please, lie if you must, but for the sake of my sanity:
Is this your game?

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Sobatchja Morda posted:

I love the history of obscure fps games, so the idea of finding something I never heard of exited me. Also, the fact that this game hasn't been found is incredibly frustrating. Custard Undies, your Alcatraz mystery has lodged itself in my head...

...which is why I thought of it when I came across this. Obscure budget title that left no cultural footprint, LithTech engine, first person shooter, has the player escaping Alcatraz.

Please, lie if you must, but for the sake of my sanity:
Is this your game?

You know what, I think this might actually be it!

The engine/time frame matches up what i had in my head.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010
Don't read this Sobatchja Morda, but Custard, blink twice if you actually still need help looking for the game, because I'm going to assume you actually are lying for their sanity's sake, because that was the first suggestion you got and dismissed... :pseudo:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
My girlfriend is describing a game to me that is a puzzle game that she played either on ps1 or ps2. It was a low budget puzzle bobble / bust a move style game but the bubbles shoot automatically but you control the wheel. Also, the characters have British accents. Does this ring a bell?

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

westborn posted:

Don't read this Sobatchja Morda, but Custard, blink twice if you actually still need help looking for the game, because I'm going to assume you actually are lying for their sanity's sake, because that was the first suggestion you got and dismissed... :pseudo:

Well now I'm just confused, I was thinking the one I said no to was from 2011 or something :xd:

I really don't know haha.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

seiferguy posted:

My girlfriend is describing a game to me that is a puzzle game that she played either on ps1 or ps2. It was a low budget puzzle bobble / bust a move style game but the bubbles shoot automatically but you control the wheel. Also, the characters have British accents. Does this ring a bell?

The British accents instantly make me think of Worms Blast.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Custard Undies posted:

Well now I'm just confused, I was thinking the one I said no to was from 2011 or something :xd:

I really don't know haha.

I am going to have to believe it is true, I have to believe!

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
This is very vague and basically hearsay of hearsay, but I wonder if someone can help me with this because it's driving me crazy that I can't find any leads on this. I remember reading in a late 80s/early 90s computer game magazine about a World War 2 game that came in two different editions for Europe and America. It was probably on a microcompurer, maybe Commodore 64. I'm not sure if it was a full-on flight sim or a more arcadey dogfight game, but it was plane-themed anyway. What stuck to my mind is that the magazine said the two versions of the game were otherwise exactly the same except in the European version the ground was coloured green (so that it could be marketed as the Battle of Britain) and in the American it was blue (Pearl Harbor). Does anyone have any idea what games they were talking about?

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I may be wildly misremembering things, but I think that the old Chuck Yeager games eventually got re-released under different titles.

https://www.mobygames.com/game/c64/chuck-yeagers-advanced-flight-simulator

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Forktoss posted:

This is very vague and basically hearsay of hearsay, but I wonder if someone can help me with this because it's driving me crazy that I can't find any leads on this. I remember reading in a late 80s/early 90s computer game magazine about a World War 2 game that came in two different editions for Europe and America. It was probably on a microcompurer, maybe Commodore 64. I'm not sure if it was a full-on flight sim or a more arcadey dogfight game, but it was plane-themed anyway. What stuck to my mind is that the magazine said the two versions of the game were otherwise exactly the same except in the European version the ground was coloured green (so that it could be marketed as the Battle of Britain) and in the American it was blue (Pearl Harbor). Does anyone have any idea what games they were talking about?

I wonder if this isn't a very warped misunderstanding of Aces of the Pacific and then its follow-up Aces Over Europe

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ALFbrot posted:

I wonder if this isn't a very warped misunderstanding of Aces of the Pacific and then its follow-up Aces Over Europe

Yeah, those were fairly different from one another. I'm sure the follow-up reused a lot of assets from the original, but Pacific had ships (carrier landings even) and the planes were different (Messerschmitt would show up halfway through the Europe campaign). It was definitely not "we colored the ground green this time".

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The first game I can remember being like a roguelike was this fantasy game that I swear came on Windows 95 or in a very common games package for it. You'd move around on a grid (10x10 maybe?) and pick up equipment from killing monsters, and the aim was to accomplish like 3 or 4 objectives leading to the end boss. I remember it being extremely difficult, like I'd played it a good amount and only beaten it once or twice.

Not ASCII though, had graphics and poo poo.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

The first game I can remember being like a roguelike was this fantasy game that I swear came on Windows 95 or in a very common games package for it. You'd move around on a grid (10x10 maybe?) and pick up equipment from killing monsters, and the aim was to accomplish like 3 or 4 objectives leading to the end boss. I remember it being extremely difficult, like I'd played it a good amount and only beaten it once or twice.

Castle of the Winds?.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

PostNouveau posted:

Castle of the winds?

Its like 40% of the posts in this thread lol

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Oh that might be it. The inventory/equip screen and all the item names and graphics, in particular, look dead-on to me. It's weird I remembered it as being just like a grid of rooms though, not a dungeon crawler with an overworld. But other than that it's really setting off the deja vu.

I remember it being a lot shorter too. Like it was the first game I remember being like "time to do a run".

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

If it's not CotW, the demo of Mordor was on tons of shareware CDs.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

PostNouveau posted:

Oh that might be it. The inventory/equip screen and all the item names and graphics, in particular, look dead-on to me. It's weird I remembered it as being just like a grid of rooms though, not a dungeon crawler with an overworld. But other than that it's really setting off the deja vu.

I remember it being a lot shorter too. Like it was the first game I remember being like "time to do a run".

I think there were a few different versions of COTW with slightly different graphics but I'm not 100%

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Dip Viscous posted:

If it's not CotW, the demo of Mordor was on tons of shareware CDs.

God, I played the demo of this for hours as a kid.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

I think there were a few different versions of COTW with slightly different graphics but I'm not 100%

Castle of the Winds used .ico files for its graphics so you could import your own icon to represent your hero. Thus my friend and I beat that entire game as a giant penis with a sword.

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK
I’m trying to remember a game I think I played on a black and white early Macintosh computer. It was an adventure type game where you explored a pyramid starting at the top. So the levels would get bigger and bigger as you went down. It was first person point and click, you’d use the compass directions to move around picking up loot and encountering creatures. I distinctly remember my younger self being terrified of coming across a sleeping monkey who would gently caress your poo poo up if you woke it up and couldn’t throw a net over it.

Any idea what game this was?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Koskinator posted:

I’m trying to remember a game I think I played on a black and white early Macintosh computer. It was an adventure type game where you explored a pyramid starting at the top. So the levels would get bigger and bigger as you went down. It was first person point and click, you’d use the compass directions to move around picking up loot and encountering creatures. I distinctly remember my younger self being terrified of coming across a sleeping monkey who would gently caress your poo poo up if you woke it up and couldn’t throw a net over it.

Any idea what game this was?

Is it Scarab of Ra?

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Forktoss posted:

Yeah this is something I've heard too but I can't remember the game either sorry. I think it was the developer talking about it or a Guru larry video where I heard it.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

ALFbrot posted:

That's not impossible, but I think the magazine I read this in was from around 1989-1991, and looks like the Aces games are from 1992 and 1993. I also have the impression that they weren't talking about a new release but a game that had already been published some time ago (and if the trick the publishers pulled really was that simple, it sounds like something that was easier to get away with on earlier 80s tech).

Dip Viscous posted:

I may be wildly misremembering things, but I think that the old Chuck Yeager games eventually got re-released under different titles.

https://www.mobygames.com/game/c64/chuck-yeagers-advanced-flight-simulator

This is closer to what I had imagined the game being like and would fit in the assumed timeline, but unfortunately I can't find any info on what those re-release titles might have been.

Flannelette posted:

Yeah this is something I've heard too but I can't remember the game either sorry. I think it was the developer talking about it or a Guru larry video where I heard it.

Good to hear, I must not be entirely misremembering what I read then!

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK

Yes! Thanks!

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Zathril posted:

God, I played the demo of this for hours as a kid.

I actually registered this way back in 1995 or so.

Septic Knothead
Jul 23, 2009

Boris S Wart
The Second Meanest Man In The World
I am trying to remember a coin-op game I only ever saw in one place, would have been 1981-82 I think. It was most similar to Galaga, but definitely not that. When you started, it had a small single shot type gun on your ship. As you advanced in rounds the ship built stages-- like a wider section behind your single shot 'nose cone" with two guns. This of course made your ship larger and more vulnerable to enemy fire from above. The more guns you could get, the wider you could cover with your fire but it was much more difficult to dodge as your ship size increased. I found this game strangely compelling and I played it every time I could, but drat if I can remember what it was called. It may have started with an "A" but I can't be sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I think I know what you mean, but I'll need to search around. Terra Cresta had something a bit like that but was way more advanced than what you are talking about. I'm picturing a black space background rather than TC's colourful land (as well as nothing like TC's more complex ship improvements).

e: I'm dumb, it had to be Moon Cresta from 1980.

Gromit fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 18, 2021