Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Uthor posted:

At least it uninstalled itself. Mine is just disabled and I can't make it go away because it's a stock app that came with the phone. So it's just 30 mb being used for an app that doesn't run.

Not 30 MB! You might not be able to fit 5 seconds of pirate animes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Endless Mike posted:

Not 30 MB! You might not be able to fit 5 seconds of pirate animes!

It adds up. I just went through the stock apps that can't be removed on my phone and it's a full 10% of the internal memory just for stock apps I don't use at all. They're mostly sub 100 MB, but there's an annoying amount of them.

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 9, 2021

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SkyeAuroline posted:

It adds up. I just went through the stock apps that can't be removed on my phone and it's a full 10% of the internal memory just for stock apps I don't use at all. They're mostly sub 100 MB, but there's an annoying amount of them.

You're telling me you have 6.4GB of preinstalled system apps that you don't use? Even at a 100MB each that's 64 apps and that seems like a lot.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Classic Google. I told assistant to remind me at noon to start dinner, and so it reminded me at 9:17 am instead, shortly after I set it, yet it says right in the notification that it was set for 12:00 pm. How are reminders still such a crapshoot after all this time?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

LastInLine posted:

You're telling me you have 6.4GB of preinstalled system apps that you don't use? Even at a 100MB each that's 64 apps and that seems like a lot.

32GB internal memory, I'd have to manually recount but I believe it was 3.5GB of preinstalled apps. Note that this includes things like Instagram that I have no interest in whatsoever but are still preloaded and have "uninstall" disabled and replaced with "factory reset".

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

SkyeAuroline posted:

32GB internal memory, I'd have to manually recount but I believe it was 3.5GB of preinstalled apps. Note that this includes things like Instagram that I have no interest in whatsoever but are still preloaded and have "uninstall" disabled and replaced with "factory reset".

How do you think they made the phone that cheap?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
How do I get Google Files to stop recommending me to clean up space on my phone? I have all the notifications turned off except for low space (I have more than 10 GB free). It's giving me helpful suggestions such as removing old files (like my wallpapers) and unused apps (like my keyboard).

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SkyeAuroline posted:

A non-carrier Pixel has 22 preinstalled apps and I feel like you'd really have to go out of your way to avoid using some of these:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Looking at that list, I use half of them:
Calendar, Camera, Clock, Contacts, Drive, Google, Phone, Photos, Play Store, Settings, and occasionally Calculator.

I uninstall the other half via adb.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
So I just noticed in the YouTube Music app, that scrolling has finally been improved in Library/Uploads.

Fast scrolling through thousands of entries is now available, though the devs didn't add the alphabet marker that GPM had.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Is CamScanner safe again? I never found a replacement as good since I removed it a couple years ago so I'm hoping they fixed it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Google Drive has a scanner built in now, have you tried that?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Google's PhotoScan is pretty solid for photo scanning, too.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

repiv posted:

Google Drive has a scanner built in now, have you tried that?

I have not, but I'll check it out. Thanks!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Does anyone know what the "Automatic" setting for Private DNS does? The help page doesn't mention it.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Is there any alarm app that allows you to select spotify playlist as the tone?

The default Android clock app has spotify and worked fine for me since forever but broke a few weeks ago. It just gives you the loading icon when you select spotify and nothing more.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Digital Jedi posted:

The default Android clock app has spotify and worked fine for me since forever but broke a few weeks ago. It just gives you the loading icon when you select spotify and nothing more.

The last time something weird broke in the android clock app I submitted a bug report and it got fixed surprisingly quickly, you could give that a go

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Digital Jedi posted:

This is probably ultimately not helpful but I just tested this and Spotify is working for me on the default "Clock" alarm app by Google and the Samsung "Clock" default app thing on my S10+.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Used Simple Social as a FB wrapper for the last 5 years and been very happy with it... but welp, saw a message it's no longer supported :smithcloud:

https://www.reddit.com/r/androidapps/comments/ms7l59/what_happened_to_simple_social_facebook/

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
Are there any audio players that remember play/resume positions in tracks? Not just for the currently playing track, but if I, say, play track A, pause somewhere in the middle and play track B, then want to resume track A where left off.

This is for listening to podcasts downloaded on my tablet. Pretty much all podcast apps assume you'll be streaming the files, and the ones that work with downloads don't seem to interoperate with files you've already downloaded outside of their app.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Hobnob posted:

Are there any audio players that remember play/resume positions in tracks? Not just for the currently playing track, but if I, say, play track A, pause somewhere in the middle and play track B, then want to resume track A where left off.

This is for listening to podcasts downloaded on my tablet. Pretty much all podcast apps assume you'll be streaming the files, and the ones that work with downloads don't seem to interoperate with files you've already downloaded outside of their app.

Podcast Addict does this.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Huh apparently you can add a local folder as a subscription in AntennaPod. So, yeah, that's another one that should be good for that.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I don't know that I've ever seen a podcast app that didn't remember the position of podcasts you've paused. Pocket Casts definitely does, and Beyondpod did the last time I checked.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

VelociBacon posted:

Podcast Addict does this.

I tried this one, couldn't find a way for it to see my already downloaded stuff.

Flipperwaldt posted:

Huh apparently you can add a local folder as a subscription in AntennaPod. So, yeah, that's another one that should be good for that.

This however worked perfectly. Thanks all for the help.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
It appears SMS Backup and Restore/SMS Backup+ (when did it rename?) is being blocked by Google. Getting notifications to sign in, which when opened, give a large "This app has been blocked" warning.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

SMS Backup & Restore and SMS Backup+ are two different apps.

Looks like you are talking about the one that backs up to Gmail?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I am indeed. And I've learned something today

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

SMS Backup+ is working fine for me. You do have to add gmail as a custom imap server though, but that's been the case for ages and ages now

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Yeah Google revoked access via sign-in like a year or two ago. Here are some instructions.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Are there any podcast apps that let you play a single podcast on repeat? I found a pink noise one that's nice to run overnight and I think has helped and it'd be nice to just have to hit play instead of scrubbing back 8 hours every night. Minor issue but it'd be convenient

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Can't you just play it in whatever music player your phone has? The mp3 file has to be on your device somewhere if you downloaded it.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Can't you just play it in whatever music player your phone has? The mp3 file has to be on your device somewhere if you downloaded it.

Oh, I guess I could but I didn't think of that

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Niche use question, but can anyone recommend an app for conducting a simple inventory audit? Only need to capture SKU and Quantity and export the data either as a CSV or XLS. I'd prefer to be able to have it lookup the item against a database, but the person looking for the software doesn't care that much and is going to handle validation on their end once they get it into Excel on their PC. ScanPet looks like it might do what I need, but I figured I'd ask before going through a bunch of testing and tutorial videos to see if it'd work for what they need.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Is there a way of migrating my 2-factor tokens from Authenticator+ to Authy? Just found out that Authenticator+ is no longer being supported.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Is there a way of migrating my 2-factor tokens from Authenticator+ to Authy? Just found out that Authenticator+ is no longer being supported.

I found a guide somewhere on how to do this. You use SQLite Studio to open your backup file and pull out the TOTP codes, which you can then add to Authy. I ended up creating a new temporary Keepass database to store them in so I could copy/paste them efficiently. It's not a fun process but I only had to do it once. Oh, and I seem to recall that the very latest version of SQLite Studio no longer opens the DB format used by Authenticator+, so you might have to download an older version.

Sorry I don't have more detail but I did this months ago, and I can't seem to find the source I used.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

I posted something that worked perfectly a bit back.

Edit: Here is the info: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3751764&userid=36096#post512461251

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
This is why I always print out my auth QR codes and stash them in my fire-proof safe.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I don't know if I'm just stupid or what, but I cannot figure out how to view photo albums other people have shared with me in Google Photos, other than from the notification when they add a photo to it. Anybody know?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I don't know if I'm just stupid or what, but I cannot figure out how to view photo albums other people have shared with me in Google Photos, other than from the notification when they add a photo to it. Anybody know?

On the phone the only way I could find to do it was search for "Sharing"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Tap the chat icon in the upper left?

(it was the last thing I could try...)