Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tildes posted:

Wait why do you have so many wall mounted displays? I’m genuinely curious how I can justify this for my own life.

55" in the living room, 32" in the kitchen, 65" in the den and the 50" portrait in the office. Besides the office display, they are all effectively TVs, but we really don''t watch TV and our living room is unused outside of parties. Currently they are all run off Google TVs that run Dakboard as screen savers automatically, so they just stay on displaying photos, weather, news headlines and various assorted other crap but you can load up any supported Google TV app in a second, so we get HBO Max, Hulu Live TV, Netflix, Showtime and Amazon Prime Video on all of them as far as subscription services.

Then I have a 10 inch Lenovo Smart Display in the kitchen, another 10 inch Lenovo Smart Display in the Den, we both have 8 inch Lenovo Smart Displays as our bedside alarm clocks along with a Google Home Hub for home control in the bedroom, right next to the bedroom door. There is also a Google Home Hub in the bathroom along with one more in the living room. Oh, also a JBL Google Smart Display in the office, with a always on Lenovo 10" tablet under my computer monitors.

Also I have an iPad Pro 12.9, my husband has an iPad Air and then we have an Macbook Air that sits in a docking station in the office in case I want to work in the kitchen cooking dinner or something, the office displays are driven by a Mac Mini.

Two of us live in this home.

Yes, I am completely insane as I have omitted all of the other assorted Google Cast supported devices that I use for whole house audio and my current plans to place a display on our backyard patio, which I only haven't done yet because it is on the other side of our property and as such requires a contractor.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Three Olives posted:

Probably MagicMirror

https://magicmirror.builders/

I've kind of thought about doing one but I think my husband might very well murder me if I did considering that we already have 8 Google Smart Displays and 4 large wall mounted screens running Dakboard that are never turned off, which is basically equivalent to MagicMirror, but commercially supported.

Basically if you put a display behind a two way mirror, anything black will just show the mirror, anything illuminated will show through the mirror.

That looks exactly like theirs’ did! I saw the link, too, and I do think that has to be it.

I love the future :hydrogen:

Edit: ^^^Techies have the coolest houses! I don’t think I can run all that on my 30 down/5 up 4G LTE modem’s bandwidth, though...

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Apr 16, 2021

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

HDMI 2.1 on a 4K @ 144 Hz, what a concept

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I really want to know how much it's going to cost and it's not G-Sync but Adaptive Sync? Not sure if that's a big deal but I think I would want the official G-Sync Certification?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I checked the last several pages and didn’t see this, so here goes:

Looking for a work from home monitor to hook my laptop up to. I currently use an old 24” monitor and it’s ok, but I mainly use it for spreadsheets and when I put two spreadsheets split vertically next to each other, there isn’t enough room and I have to scroll on each sheet.

I only use this thing for work, which consists of web browsers and email and spreadsheets. Nothing else.

I’m not really looking for a two monitor setup, because then I’d probably need a docking station and other stuff which work won’t provide. I’m thinking maybe a 27”-34”, but I’d like to keep it fairly cheap.

Any ideas? I’ve got a Costco membership if that helps.

Maybe this:

LG 29WN600-W 29" 21:9 UltraWide WFHD IPS HDR10 Monitor with FreeSync, Silver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0876DBCBX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_WV8W92MQEKMWQATVN1V6

nwin fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 16, 2021

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Ultrawides are a godawful value proposition, especially at 1080p. When you're on a budget, you don't want an ultrawide.

As long as your laptop is capable of driving 4k, something like this or this is going to be a much better choice for work, giving you four times as many pixels as your current monitor. They are VA and will thus suffer from off-axis contrast shift, but for work that isn't color sensitive and needs a lot of pixels, they're going to be a fairly ideal value buy. You can probably even bump up the scaling to give you additional clarity/reduced eye strain when working all day while still being able to see everything you need.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

K8.0 posted:

Ultrawides are a godawful value proposition, especially at 1080p. When you're on a budget, you don't want an ultrawide.

As long as your laptop is capable of driving 4k, something like this or this is going to be a much better choice for work, giving you four times as many pixels as your current monitor. They are VA and will thus suffer from off-axis contrast shift, but for work that isn't color sensitive and needs a lot of pixels, they're going to be a fairly ideal value buy. You can probably even bump up the scaling to give you additional clarity/reduced eye strain when working all day while still being able to see everything you need.

My laptops 3 years old and is government issued so I doubt it’s capable of 4K.

Those are way more expensive than I was thinking-I was hoping for under $250. If that’s the case, I’ll just deal with my lovely 24” monitor.

Mang Tomas
Jan 9, 2007
Does anyone here got a Samsung G7 odyssey? How is it as a gaming monitor?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

nwin posted:

My laptops 3 years old and is government issued so I doubt it’s capable of 4K.

Those are way more expensive than I was thinking-I was hoping for under $250. If that’s the case, I’ll just deal with my lovely 24” monitor.

If it's 3 years old it can likely drive 4k just fine. If you don't think it will pay for itself, sure, don't drop the money on a 4k monitor. I do firmly believe they represent the best value for productivity, so that's why I'd push you in that direction first. You can get 60/75hz 27" 1440p IPS displays for ~$230, which are still a big upgrade from 1080p/1080p ultrawide while still hitting your price point. I'm not a huge fan of the value proposition (you're paying most of what 4k costs for less than half the pixels), but if that's what fits in your budget, go for it.

A few examples on Amazon :

https://www.amazon.com/LG-27QN600-B-FreeSync-Virtually-Borderless/dp/B089NZCLHW/
https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-L27q-30-27-inch-Monitor-Backlit/dp/B089FMXYHT/
https://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-VA2719-2K-SMHD-Frameless-Monitor-Inputs/dp/B0749R9Q3J/

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

K8.0 posted:

If it's 3 years old it can likely drive 4k just fine. If you don't think it will pay for itself, sure, don't drop the money on a 4k monitor. I do firmly believe they represent the best value for productivity, so that's why I'd push you in that direction first. You can get 60/75hz 27" 1440p IPS displays for ~$230, which are still a big upgrade from 1080p/1080p ultrawide while still hitting your price point. I'm not a huge fan of the value proposition (you're paying most of what 4k costs for less than half the pixels), but if that's what fits in your budget, go for it.

A few examples on Amazon :

https://www.amazon.com/LG-27QN600-B-FreeSync-Virtually-Borderless/dp/B089NZCLHW/
https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-L27q-30-27-inch-Monitor-Backlit/dp/B089FMXYHT/
https://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-VA2719-2K-SMHD-Frameless-Monitor-Inputs/dp/B0749R9Q3J/

Thanks! So on that first LG monitor-the 27” is $227 and the 32” is $250.

Would it be a bad idea to get the 32” here? I’m sure bigger isn’t better in every case.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
I'm thinking of getting an ultrawide since work provides a stipend for WFH stuff and I do need a second monitor. Is there a goon recommended one I should be looking for?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

tildes posted:

Wait why do you have so many wall mounted displays? I’m genuinely curious how I can justify this for my own life.

How else are you going to make your mirrors tell guests to "FEED ME A STRAY CAT"?

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Three Olives posted:

55" in the living room, 32" in the kitchen, 65" in the den and the 50" portrait in the office. Besides the office display, they are all effectively TVs, but we really don''t watch TV and our living room is unused outside of parties. Currently they are all run off Google TVs that run Dakboard as screen savers automatically, so they just stay on displaying photos, weather, news headlines and various assorted other crap but you can load up any supported Google TV app in a second, so we get HBO Max, Hulu Live TV, Netflix, Showtime and Amazon Prime Video on all of them as far as subscription services.

Then I have a 10 inch Lenovo Smart Display in the kitchen, another 10 inch Lenovo Smart Display in the Den, we both have 8 inch Lenovo Smart Displays as our bedside alarm clocks along with a Google Home Hub for home control in the bedroom, right next to the bedroom door. There is also a Google Home Hub in the bathroom along with one more in the living room. Oh, also a JBL Google Smart Display in the office, with a always on Lenovo 10" tablet under my computer monitors.

Also I have an iPad Pro 12.9, my husband has an iPad Air and then we have an Macbook Air that sits in a docking station in the office in case I want to work in the kitchen cooking dinner or something, the office displays are driven by a Mac Mini.

Two of us live in this home.

Yes, I am completely insane as I have omitted all of the other assorted Google Cast supported devices that I use for whole house audio and my current plans to place a display on our backyard patio, which I only haven't done yet because it is on the other side of our property and as such requires a contractor.

This is all extremely good & inspiring. Once I break and get an ultrawide I'm definitely going to stick some of my old monitors around the house.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

nwin posted:

Thanks! So on that first LG monitor-the 27” is $227 and the 32” is $250.

Would it be a bad idea to get the 32” here? I’m sure bigger isn’t better in every case.

Are your eyes bad? If not, most people agree that 27" makes more sense for 1440p, but it's also possible 32" would work better for you. The only real way to be sure would be to look at monitors of that resolution from the distance you're going to sit at.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

K8.0 posted:

Are your eyes bad? If not, most people agree that 27" makes more sense for 1440p, but it's also possible 32" would work better for you. The only real way to be sure would be to look at monitors of that resolution from the distance you're going to sit at.

My eyes are fine but I’d like to keep them that way. Maybe I’ll just buy both and return whatever doesn’t work.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Is there any way to force Windows to not adjust the desktop when I switch source on my main (of 3) monitors? I occasionally want to use my main monitor for Switch gaming. Everything is fine when I switch inputs from my PC but when I switch BACK to the PC, Windows moves all my windows that were on my main monitor to my 3rd monitor. Moving everything back to how it should be is extremely annoying because the main is now a 32" 4k and the 3rd monitor is a portrait mode 27" 1080p. If I just turn off/on the main, no windows are effected, it's just when switching back to the PC source (DP) from the Switch (HDMI). How do I stop this?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I’m experiencing fairly severe eye strain/ Computer vision syndrome. I currently have an LG 5k2k ultrawide, it’s completely glorious but I keep reading about flicker free and things like that.

What are the best options for eye strain reduction? I would prefer an ultrawide but if the best option is a normal aspect ratio, so be it.

Money is effectively no object.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Taima posted:

I’m experiencing fairly severe eye strain/ Computer vision syndrome. I currently have an LG 5k2k ultrawide, it’s completely glorious but I keep reading about flicker free and things like that.

What are the best options for eye strain reduction? I would prefer an ultrawide but if the best option is a normal aspect ratio, so be it.

Money is effectively no object.

You could try some computer glasses. Other things to consider is to make sure you have enough distance between you and the screen, and also that the screen is angled/centered properly so that your eyes don't have to refocus/adjust when moving from one side of the screen to the other. You want to preferably be as close to equidistant from each edge as possible.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

I do wear glasses with a computer blue light thing in the lenses if that’s what you mean by computer glasses. It doesn’t radically change the look of the screen though. I’m open to something better.

As for the monitor I am about 2.5-3 feet from it and in the center. Are you implying that flicker free isn’t a big deal?

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

I have no experience with flicker free, so I didn't comment on that part. Just giving some things to think about before buying a new monitor. A lot of people buy big monitors and sit off center and that is really bad for your eyes. If you have that sorted, then hopefully somebody who knows about flicker free can comment.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

By far the biggest factor in eye strain is brightness. Most monitors default to a setting that is far too bright, turn it way down and once you get used to it, try turning it down some more. If you're PWM sensitive going low brightness on a monitor with bad PWM may make things worse, but you'll know right away.

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Is there any way to force Windows to not adjust the desktop when I switch source on my main (of 3) monitors? I occasionally want to use my main monitor for Switch gaming. Everything is fine when I switch inputs from my PC but when I switch BACK to the PC, Windows moves all my windows that were on my main monitor to my 3rd monitor. Moving everything back to how it should be is extremely annoying because the main is now a 32" 4k and the 3rd monitor is a portrait mode 27" 1080p. If I just turn off/on the main, no windows are effected, it's just when switching back to the PC source (DP) from the Switch (HDMI). How do I stop this?

There's no "proper" solution to this. DisplayFusion can be used to store and restore window positions, but that's about it.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

K8.0 posted:

There's no "proper" solution to this. DisplayFusion can be used to store and restore window positions, but that's about it.

That's frustrating, but I kind of figured. Searches for solutions bring up 20 years of people bitching to Microsoft about this issue.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Am I correct in understanding that HDMI 2.1 is basically only supported in monitors with native G-Sync modules right now?

PsySabreW
Jan 7, 2005

Bicep curls the asgardian way

Mang Tomas posted:

Does anyone here got a Samsung G7 odyssey? How is it as a gaming monitor?

I recently picked up the 32in version for an upgrade to my LG 32gk650f-b (32in VA 144hz). TL:DR - Wait for cheaper or better 240hz VA 1440p monitors to come out or look into the new 1440p 240hz IPS coming out.

Pros
1). Black smear is gone vs my older VA
2). Very smooth if you have the hardware to drive high 1440p FPS
3). USB on the monitor has the ability to fast charge phones.
4). Ability to upgrade the monitor firmware if more issues are discovered.

Cons
1). Banding issue, Pixel walk / Inverison. https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/j53klf/samsung_odyssey_g7_32_who_have_pixel_walk_or/ talks about it. Some of the lagom.nl test images freak the monitor out and adds darker horizontal lines every other pixel. Some solid color areas get this effect at the top of the screen for me.
2). Loud headphone jack hiss. Not big issue if you don't use it but my LG headphone jack didn't hiss at all for being low end. Obnoxious to me since I use my PS5 with this monitor and that's my audio source for it.
3). Dumb LEDs on the monitor that jack up the price. LEDs zones are controlled by the monitor hardware only. Could of been justified if iCUE/other LED software worked with it.
4). HDMI port is 2.0. For it's price it should of been a 2.1 and to allow 240hz 1440p over HDMI.

HDR... It never feels like it's calibrated right so I just leave it off.

Seems like the launch issues with flickering it had last year were fixed with firmware since I haven't noticed anything. The curve doesn't bother me and I wanted curved anyway since it's VA. My old LG had very slight viewing angle issue on the sides since it was flat VA panel.

IMO, I'd wait until other brands of 1440p 240hz monitors are out there. If someone can take this panel and make a bare bones version or a HDR1000 version then I'd look into that.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Taima posted:

As for the monitor I am about 2.5-3 feet from it and in the center. Are you implying that flicker free isn’t a big deal?

I don't think any remotely high end monitor from the last decade has had a backlight with PWM dimming, so flicker free monitors aren't really a thing anymore - they're all flicker free, at least in the traditional sense. Just turn down the brightness, and I mean way down.

fake edit: ok fine, rtings.com lists a few monitors that aren't actually flicker free, but it's like 10 models out of >150 tested. It's exceedingly rare, and even more rare for it to be actually noticeable in any way.

actual edit: hold on, is your monitor a LG 34WK95U? because that's one of the rare examples that actually does have a PWM-dimmed flickering backlight.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Apr 18, 2021

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

4k @ 144hz is coming! :getin:

I have 4K @ 144Hz over DisplayPort and tried enabling HDR, then the fps dropped to 50. So, nVidia Quadro RTX 4000 not enough for that I guess. Waiting for new Ampere workstation cards.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

kliras posted:

Am I correct in understanding that HDMI 2.1 is basically only supported in monitors with native G-Sync modules right now?

No, it's the opposite. The current gsync modules, even the "ultimate" version, only support a single DP 1.4 port alongside HDMI 2.0 ports. All the announced 4k/144Hz monitors with HDMI 2.1 monitors are freesync but most are "gsync compatible."

It's quite backwards and means that the more expensive monitors with gsync are less desirable for anyone that wants more than a single input than the less expensive ones without. Compare the PG32UQX, with all around higher specs except HDMI version, and the PG32UQ, which has HDMI 2.1. Acer and Viewsonic have functionally identical offerings.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

nwin posted:

Any ideas? I’ve got a Costco membership if that helps.

https://www.costco.com/samsung-34%22-class-qhd-ultrawide-monitor.product.100679273.html

I picked this one up a few weeks ago and its been pretty good.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Thanks-that sounds like a decent deal for $270. Any idea how a 34” screen does with splitting 2-3 spreadsheets across the screen?

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

nwin posted:

Thanks-that sounds like a decent deal for $270. Any idea how a 34” screen does with splitting 2-3 spreadsheets across the screen?
I think it does great, its a 1440 monitor and has tons of room side to side. You can easily replace one of these with a browser window/word doc/pdf when you're working on stuff.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Jimong5 posted:

I think it does great, its a 1440 monitor and has tons of room side to side. You can easily replace one of these with a browser window/word doc/pdf when you're working on stuff.

Thanks! One last question-did you have to download the drivers to get split screen to work? One Amazon review said it wouldn’t split screens without Samsung specific software. I can’t download anything to my government computer, as the reason I’m asking.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

nwin posted:

Thanks! One last question-did you have to download the drivers to get split screen to work? One Amazon review said it wouldn’t split screens without Samsung specific software. I can’t download anything to my government computer, as the reason I’m asking.

I could be wrong about this, but I think the split-screen stuff in that case would be to allow input from more than one computer/video source. If you're only using one computer then I'm not sure what purpose it would serve.

Like I said, I might be misunderstanding the situation, though.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

Grimey Drawer

nwin posted:

That is just the main desktop with windows tiled, normal behavior is just a wide single desktop, 3440x1440. There also is a PIP option built in where you can do two of DP/HDMI 1/HDMI 2 ins side by side if you want it to behave more like a dual monitor setup, or take in video from multiple machines.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

nwin posted:

FancyZones as part of PowerToys is a great way to set up defined regions for windows to snap to.

https://github.com/microsoft/PowerToys

edit: sorry, didn't read the "can't download anything" part. But if you do have this for a home computer it's very nice to have.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I could be wrong about this, but I think the split-screen stuff in that case would be to allow input from more than one computer/video source. If you're only using one computer then I'm not sure what purpose it would serve.

Like I said, I might be misunderstanding the situation, though.

Ah that makes sense-thank you!

Jimong5 posted:

That is just the main desktop with windows tiled, normal behavior is just a wide single desktop, 3440x1440. There also is a PIP option built in where you can do two of DP/HDMI 1/HDMI 2 ins side by side if you want it to behave more like a dual monitor setup, or take in video from multiple machines.

Perfect! It’s Costco anyways-so worst case I can just return it. Thanks again!

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

TheFluff posted:

I don't think any remotely high end monitor from the last decade has had a backlight with PWM dimming, so flicker free monitors aren't really a thing anymore - they're all flicker free, at least in the traditional sense. Just turn down the brightness, and I mean way down.

fake edit: ok fine, rtings.com lists a few monitors that aren't actually flicker free, but it's like 10 models out of >150 tested. It's exceedingly rare, and even more rare for it to be actually noticeable in any way.

actual edit: hold on, is your monitor a LG 34WK95U? because that's one of the rare examples that actually does have a PWM-dimmed flickering backlight.

Yep :/

E: you know what gently caress it, i ordered the 40 inch 5k2k curved dell. Im tired of this poo poo and looking back my strain troubles started when i got two flicker displays (the 34WK95U and a 65 inch C9 OLED).

Amazing that a $1500 professional monitor wouldn’t have eye care as a focus. Welp now I gotta sell this sheit I guess

e2: to briefly clarify, my understanding is that OLED has flicker because the pixels turn on and off to modulate brightness in the same way as a PMW backlight does, broadly speaking (except on a per-pixel basis of course), so while they are different in many ways the effect is similar. If anyone cares/is curious.

Taima fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 19, 2021

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

This is my current one too and it's starting to go on me. It has served me well ( <3 3D vision) but it flickers and i have to pinch the side to fix it. sooner or later it's going to stop working completely.

Spacedad posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRTFZMdn714

Anyone have any comments regarding the asus VG27AQ? He talks about how apparently the asus TUF display in this vid uses ELMB sync.

Also how is this display/panel in comparison to what others goons have recommended, anyway. https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Gaming-VG27AQ-G-SYNC-Monitor/dp/B07WQ4FXY9?tag=hardwar0d-20&geniuslink=true

Based on the comments replying to this, I am leaning heavily towards picking this one up. The monitor stats are great, and the I/O will be very helpful as I use my PC as a workstation; accessible I/O is a nice bonus feature.

i'm also wondering if there are any more opinions on this one. VG27AQ looks pretty solid and Rtings had it on their list until just recently. Hardware Canucks is great. I like Asus and I like the fact it does freesync and Gsync, ELMB sounds like fun, i'd love to have HDR. I dont think this monitor would be a bad choice in any way. when I look at prices it's $100 cheaper than some of the commonly cited competitors.

(CAD)

Gigabyte M27Q is $480
VG27AQ is $520
ViewSonic VX2758-2KP-MHD is $622
LG 27GL850 is $628
VG27AQL1A is $630

I really like Asus since my current monitor has been so good. I think i'd be happy with VG27AQ since it looks like a huge step up. I want to know if VG27AQL1A is really worth the extra $110. It sounds like it is a worthwhile improvement and seems to be priced against it's competitors. $630+tax = $712 is just way more than I thought i would be looking at. However I do spend alot of time looking at it.

I'm unclear what a 1440P high refresh rate gaming monitor should actually cost. I want bigger, more pixels, and better than what I currently have, essentially.

this is mostly for gaming and now also work from home stuff.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Philman posted:

Gigabyte M27Q is $480
VG27AQL1A is $630

this is mostly for gaming and now also work from home stuff.

Why are you ignoring the M27Q which is both cheaper and better than everything else on the list? HDR on all LCDs sucks, and they're all Freesync and Gsync compatible.

VG27AQ is a good monitor but I was warned off it ITT for some persistent issue it has with it going into sleep mode resizing and loving about with windows that's apparently very annoying if you have a multi monitor setup (google vg27aq deep sleep), hence the LGs being the standard recommendation. Since then the M27Q has come out and seems to be better and cheaper than all of the competition.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

The M27Q has BGR subpixel layout and it turns out a LOT of apps use internal text subpixel rendering that can't be configured to BGR

On the whole, I don't think there's an easy decision there. It comes down to which tradeoffs you want to make. The Viewsonic is the only one I wouldn't buy. It's a good monitor, but it's overpriced there - it should be the cheapest option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

Butterfly Valley posted:

Why are you ignoring the M27Q which is both cheaper and better than everything else on the list? HDR on all LCDs sucks, and they're all Freesync and Gsync compatible.

VG27AQ is a good monitor but I was warned off it ITT for some persistent issue it has with it going into sleep mode resizing and loving about with windows that's apparently very annoying if you have a multi monitor setup (google vg27aq deep sleep), hence the LGs being the standard recommendation. Since then the M27Q has come out and seems to be better and cheaper than all of the competition.

I just haven't researched it much yet. I only put it on the list as a reference point.

I read there was some text issue with M27Q. M27Q lists freesync but not gsync and I have an nvidia GPU.

M27Q's KVM is intriguing actually.