Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Ok Comboomer posted:

and then try dry aged beef because it’s mad good

Yeah no complaint here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Chinatown posted:

Just get a nice prime ribeye, cook it well, and stroll through Flavor Country. Wagyu is a great example of diminishing returns.

ribeye is like easy mode for steak, it's just so flavorful, and even if you overcook it a little it just renders the fat and it stays buttery

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I find filet mignon a lot more forgiving. Even if you cook it to shoe leather levels of overcooked it stays fairly tender. And it's hard to kill the flavor when it's not a very flavorful piece of meat to begin with.

Yes ribeyes are king of steak mountain. But I've had plenty of terrible ribeyes and very few bad filet mignons.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Costco Prime NY streaks are pretty bomb and considerably cheaper per lb than their Ribeyes from my experience. I'll saute some of the baby portabellas from Costco in the meat juices and maybe some of worcestershire sauce for some bomb mushrooms to top the steak.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Don’t be intimidated by dry aging either. It can be easily accomplished (or approximated) in your fridge.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
The Prime NY Strips that Costco has are probably the best steaks I’ve found without going to a butcher. I generally cook them by reverse searing them, or sous vide if I forgot to thaw one out early enough.

I picked up a Samsung ultra wide monitor to do some video work, and they are fantastic. The Co had a Samsung 34” 3440x1440 and it’s perfect, plus was under $300.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMeHc54Vn/

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The choice steak at Costco is somehow much better than the choice steaks at the grocery store. There's like grades within grades.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
grade quality is 100% fat marbling. taste quality is like 20% fat marbling and the rest is what the cow ate. grass fed hides a huge possible spectrum of stuff they eat and the rest is tasteless silage

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

FogHelmut posted:

The choice steak at Costco is somehow much better than the choice steaks at the grocery store. There's like grades within grades.

Yep I've noticed this as well.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I’ve heard good things about Argentinean grass fed beef and it’s on my list of places I’d like to visit some day. They take beef seriously with massive awesome steaks.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

:yeshaha:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

priznat posted:

I’ve heard good things about Argentinean grass fed beef and it’s on my list of places I’d like to visit some day. They take beef seriously with massive awesome steaks.

https://idlewords.com/2006/04/argentina_on_two_steaks_a_day.htm

Coffee_Break
Apr 30, 2008

fischtick posted:

Monthly circular has Birkenstock knockoffs by Skecher for like 15 bucks. Grabbing them for wife and kid. For that price I don’t care if they blow out before July. My $19 Khombu mandals (a Costco special) have outlasted my more expensive and much loved summer shoes to the point where they’re my favorites by default.
Couldn't get to the Church until Saturday (yikes, never try for Saturday, but hit it just after opening) and the sandal selection was so small only 3 days after ad, I had to hunt for it in the middle of all the other shoes after asking a manager, and looking at the front 'on sale' again. I'm not flush enough for Birkenstocks, but the Sketchers brand are a fine substitute. Got the last 2 size 6 for me and my daughter, and one of the last size 8's for my other daughter and are very pleased with how light and comfy they are after wearing the same style for years.
"Theme park worthy" is how we describe shoes you can walk miles in, and the Sketchers Birkenstock knock offs are it! :D

PBUC, also got shrimp, bacon, pub mix, pistachios and fully stocked to the ceiling paper products (sign for limits of 1 for TP and paper towels gone).

It was busy but not nutso. They were 'ready' with all lanes open. Did not partake in the amazing dog (plus refill) as the line was long. :P

Funny aside, our cashier was named 'Matt' and his helper was also Matt, and we said 'So, are there any other Matt's that can come help?' and one said "There were, but we absorbed them..." It was funny! Kudos for a great attitude and can have fun with your customers! :)

A++ will Costco again

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Oh man that is what gave me that impression ages ago, amazing it's still around online! Great read.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
The costco thread is 800 pages long.

:patriot:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Here is to another 800

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

MarcusSA posted:

Here is to another 800

We call that a (free refill)

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
at least 400 pages of steaks and hams

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I've seen deals you people wouldn't believe.
Free samples mobbed with shoppers off of the main isleway.
I watched onions glitter in the sun as they fell from the crank dispenser.
All those savings will be accrued, in time, like rewards in cash
Time to pay.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
I gotta eat through all these ribs first, and 2lbs of cheese, but what steaks should I get if I want a decadent Costco steak slab experience? I did a peeled tenderloin at Thanksgiving in lieu of turkey

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

SchnorkIes posted:

I gotta eat through all these ribs first, and 2lbs of cheese, but what steaks should I get if I want a decadent Costco steak slab experience? I did a peeled tenderloin at Thanksgiving in lieu of turkey

For the money I can’t beat the boneless short ribs. I just grilled them today and holy gently caress they’re great.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Double post-what’s the break even amount you have to spend in a year for the executive membership to be worthwhile? My check this year was only $35 so I downgraded.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Three thousand.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

FogHelmut posted:

Yeah choice at Costco is better than my local butcher but about that same as HEB Choice but HEB in general is the only grocery store that I'd consider remotely close to Costco in quality in both products and in how they treat/care for their employees

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

FogHelmut posted:

That varies by grocery store; certain grocery chains have better localized meat and produce than others.
I usually buy a lot of my steaks from Save Mart (in California); they sell non-rated Ribeye that will go on sale for $6 or $7 per pound and as long as I eyeball the package I can pick one that's better than Costco Choice. Picked up one of those vacuum bags of a full ribeye roast for $5 a lb and that's been good eating, but now I'm talking about Save Mart in the Costco thread.

I did get Costco Choice Prime Rib Roast all prepped up, tied, and seasoned in a pan for $6/lb on clearance after new years. That was good eating too.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I witnessed the wagyu ribeyes at Costco Myrtle Beach for the first time today and my only reaction was

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

lol if you don't train to eat that wagyu by eating a straight stick of butter each day

This, but in the hyperbolic time chamber.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
That bag of Birds Eye frozen garlic chicken isn’t bad. Not gourmet by any means but perfectly acceptable bachelor chow/something quick for the kids for like $1.75 a pound.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

SchnorkIes posted:

Prime ribeye all day every day

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Your argument is invalid.
Exciting Lemon

SchnorkIes posted:

but what steaks should I get if I want a decadent Costco steak slab experience?

I love me a flank steak, marinated overnight in teriyaki, suis vide to 128F, sear on the grill or a cast iron skillet (somewhere near as hot as it will get, usually 1min/side), cut into 1/4" slices AGAINST the grain.

Lot of places don't carry flank and skirt steaks, but both are loaded with flavor but need to be prepared properly or they can be tough/stringy.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

binge crotching posted:

Prime ribeye all day every day

:emptyquote:

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Just chiming in to say that I love this thread I don't have too much to add because I haven't been able to go to Costco because you know the plague. My mom's fully vaccinated and the list I'm giving her to buy for me is $300 long.

I can't wait to go it's about 5 weeks away and being able to go will be like a milestone for my life getting a tiny bit back to normal. It's possible I'll cry

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Spinz posted:

It's possible I'll cry

It's ok. That's natural when going to Costco. Especially after the hot dog and drink (with refill).

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Apr 19, 2021

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

It's ok. That's natural when going to Costco. Especially after the hot dog and drink (with refill).

This is why I eat alone in the car

Sippin on costco cold brew right now. Its the only thing thats gonna pull me through this Monday

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I still have a bunch of that cold brew left over from buying it last year. I wasn't a fan. Too strong for me which is weird because I used to drink strong black coffee exclusively.

Is there a way to dress it up? Could I just add creamer and sugar and keep it ice cold?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
My FIL learned that I am part of the super Costco friends' thread that keeps each other up to date. He asked me to keep an eye out for a spread he loves but hasn't been around for a while.

I don't remember what he called it, though. Olive something. Olive temerfol? It was a word I never heard before.

Edit : olive tapenade . Thanks google!

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Tapenade?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I still have a bunch of that cold brew left over from buying it last year. I wasn't a fan. Too strong for me which is weird because I used to drink strong black coffee exclusively.

Is there a way to dress it up? Could I just add creamer and sugar and keep it ice cold?

Its common to dilute cold brew with just straight up water or creamer. You can also add ice etc... I don't know if the cans come already diluted some or not, but when you order cold brew at a shop, the baristas usually add water or something to dilute it since its just a concentrate.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Nailed it, nice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Yea I make cold brew at home and when I fix up a cup, I usually go with 2/3 coffee and 1/3 almond milk. Straight up cold brew is really strong.