Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

algebra testes posted:

I did read This Has All Been Wonderful: A Travel Monologue From Summer 1994: The Year Phish Became Phish last year and that was quite pleasant.

Especially the part where he gets pulled into the tour bus and berated for rolling his eyes at the song choice during a show.

It's mostly fascinating due to like, that ever ending question: who are these people that go to all these shows? And in his case, a grad student who drove show to show selling cans of soft drink so he could make the next one.

Yeah I try to hit every show on tour and you just sell poo poo on lot. Flipping enamel pins has paid for many a Phish show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Kvlt! posted:

Yeah I try to hit every show on tour and you just sell poo poo on lot. Flipping enamel pins has paid for many a Phish show.

I sold grilled cheese sandwiches in the lot at a bunch of further fest shows 25 years ago and it was interesting stuff. Trying to manage perishable goods from show to show sucks.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Yeah thats why I always did the pins but honestly bless you bc Ive subsisted on many a heady lot grilled cheese.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Kvlt! posted:

Yeah thats why I always did the pins but honestly bless you bc Ive subsisted on many a heady lot grilled cheese.

It paid for gas and some weed I guess. The real money was selling Sammy Smiths 1 for $3 2 for $5.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

3420N0DEALZ

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I want to hang out in a lot now.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

BigFactory posted:

I want to hang out in a lot now.

Same. One of my all time favorite memories is my Dad taking me to my first concert as a kid (Furthur) and me asking "why are we getting there so early?" and he's like "to hang out in the parking lot!" and I had no idea what he meant until we got there and we just had a blast walking around lot and looking at all the stuff for sale and people dancing and cooking and having a blast. It's such a special and unique part of Phish and jam band culture.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
One of my favorite stories is when the Dead got really hot on the back of Touch of Grey (apparently ruining the scene), even playing at massive football stadiums, people would just rock up and sit out side the venue and party in the lot and generally cause problems so they kept telling people to only turn up if they had a ticket to the show.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

My first phish show was in 09 and spent what felt like hours trying to find my friend in the lot by triangulating our locations based on the hiss of nitrous tanks. Lost in the lot

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

My first phish show was in 09 and spent what felt like hours trying to find my friend in the lot by triangulating our locations based on the hiss of nitrous tanks. Lost in the lot

My first show was Clifford Ball which was weird cause the NY state police were doing a real good job of busting people with large quantities coming in, so there was almost no weed for sale there. People had personal stashes and that’s almost all that was there. I don’t remember a lot of nitrous either but there was some. There were a lot of mushrooms and hard drugs on shakedown and a LOT of booze. It wasn’t the most mellow crowd by the end. I did get to see the band drive by on the back of a flatbed truck the first night, though, which was pretty cool.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
PHISH, TUESDAY 09/14/1999
BOISE STATE UNIVERSITY PAVILION
Boise, ID
SET 1: Chalk Dust Torture, The Sloth, The Curtain > Waste, Loving Cup > What's the Use?, Wading in the Velvet Sea > Farmhouse, Nellie Kane, Taste, Rocky Top

SET 2: Peaches en Regalia > AC/DC Bag[1] > Gumbo, Down with Disease > Frankenstein[2]

ENCORE: Simple, Hello My Baby

[1] Trey on keys and Fish on vacuum for part of the jam.
[2] Fish on vacuum

Peaches was played for the first time since February 28, 1997 (162 shows). This long AC/DC Bag featured Trey on keys and Fish on vacuum for part of the jam. Gumbo included an Another One Bites the Dust jam. Fish again grabbed the vacuum for Frankenstein and quoted One of These Days (Pink Floyd). This show is available as an archival release on LivePhish.com.
PHISH, SUNDAY 09/12/1999

Just listened to this, solid recommendation. 25 minute Bag. The Sloth, Curtain, Loving Cup, Taste and Rocky Top big props. The only bummer is i've never been a Velvet Sea fan.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
What do you guys think about Thread? When I saw it live I thought it was really cool but the album version is clunky.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

BigFactory posted:

What do you guys think about Thread? When I saw it live I thought it was really cool but the album version is clunky.

Eh not a huge fan, little too proggy & plodding for my tastes. In general I'm not a huge fan of Trey's new chonky delay sound that features heavily in the jam outro here. That said I could see the song going in interesting places if they keep working on it

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Eh not a huge fan, little too proggy & plodding for my tastes. In general I'm not a huge fan of Trey's new chonky delay sound that features heavily in the jam outro here. That said I could see the song going in interesting places if they keep working on it

Did I mention that I think Time Turns Elastic is one of their best songs? I like proggy and plodding.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

BigFactory posted:

Did I mention that I think Time Turns Elastic is one of their best songs? I like proggy and plodding.

It’s definitely a top 5 track........ on Joy :mmmhmm:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
They should play it every show.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

algebra testes posted:

PHISH, TUESDAY 09/14/1999
BOISE STATE UNIVERSITY PAVILION
Boise, ID
SET 1: Chalk Dust Torture, The Sloth, The Curtain > Waste, Loving Cup > What's the Use?, Wading in the Velvet Sea > Farmhouse, Nellie Kane, Taste, Rocky Top

SET 2: Peaches en Regalia > AC/DC Bag[1] > Gumbo, Down with Disease > Frankenstein[2]

ENCORE: Simple, Hello My Baby

[1] Trey on keys and Fish on vacuum for part of the jam.
[2] Fish on vacuum

Peaches was played for the first time since February 28, 1997 (162 shows). This long AC/DC Bag featured Trey on keys and Fish on vacuum for part of the jam. Gumbo included an Another One Bites the Dust jam. Fish again grabbed the vacuum for Frankenstein and quoted One of These Days (Pink Floyd). This show is available as an archival release on LivePhish.com.
PHISH, SUNDAY 09/12/1999

Just listened to this, solid recommendation. 25 minute Bag. The Sloth, Curtain, Loving Cup, Taste and Rocky Top big props. The only bummer is i've never been a Velvet Sea fan.

I actually just listened to this show a few days ago too. The whole second set is absolute fire, definitely a must-listen

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
PHISH, SATURDAY 09/18/1999

COORS AMPHITHEATRE

Chula Vista, CA

Soundcheck: Heavy Things, Meatstick
SET 1: Tweezer, Roses Are Free > Wilson > Maze, Brian and Robert, Tube > Rocky Top

SET 2: Boogie On Reggae Woman, Meatstick > Free > Bouncing Around the Room, Harry Hood > Frankenstein > Cavern

ENCORE: Contact > Tweezer Reprise

Trey's voice is extremely worn out. 15 min Tweezer to start, Wilson, Tube (one of my fave songs). 2nd set 20 minute space Boogie On, Meatstick pre-Japanese Lyrics (did they literally learn that Japan 2000 tour?). Contact is another fave of mine and its a bit flubby. Ending with Tweezer reprise, can you get any better?

People love this show, I merely liked it a lot.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Ungratek posted:

Either Summer 94 (machine gun Trey) or Fall 97 (just a slew of great arena shows, including 11/17 and 12/6 legendary shows)

i went to the pittsburgh show in 97 it was extremely good, great YEM especially. edit: my bad that was actually 1996

my first show was in 1995 at shoreline amphitheatre in mountain view ca. i was a junior in high school. they opened with my friend my friend which was one of my favorite tunes at the time, and there was an extremely sick reba as well. dont remember much of the second and third sets as it one one of my first times getting really really high

last show i went to was new years eve at msg in 2009. i miss them

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 23, 2021

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Listening to 8/9/98 encore on full blast on headphones ftw

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Listening to 8/9/98 encore on full blast on headphones ftw

The crowd eruption gives me such joy.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

I'd look this up but :effort: but I think one of the members of Boredoms translated the Meatstick lyrics while they were in Japan

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

well poo poo, RIP Tony Markellis

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Noise Machine posted:

well poo poo, RIP Tony Markellis

Yeah, really sad. Such a good dude.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

BigFactory posted:

Yeah, really sad. Such a good dude.

I didn't really have any interest in TAB but those Beacon Streams were fantastic. I saw Ghosts of The Forest live in Boston, but I didn't fully appreciate Tony until those streams.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Noise Machine posted:

I didn't really have any interest in TAB but those Beacon Streams were fantastic. I saw Ghosts of The Forest live in Boston, but I didn't fully appreciate Tony until those streams.

I haven’t seen his age in any of the obits I’ve read, but he must have had a good run. He played with the Mamas and the Papas, so that dates him. Pretty remarkable career. And hey show buddy I was at that one!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Me listening to Phish Destroys America: hmm not so sure about these new songs.

Me, now: Dogs stole. Things I needed bad. Cats took. What I never had.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Karl PerrazZo

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Question for the thread that I couldn’t answer with a quick google

What show did Trey first do a whale call?

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Phish.net says mid-1995 for the first funk siren https://forum.phish.net/forum/show/1376637697

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Noise Machine posted:

Phish.net says mid-1995 for the first funk siren https://forum.phish.net/forum/show/1376637697

Sweet, thanks

Good call out in that thread — proto-siren in the YEM off ALO right before the bass n drums section! That’s late 94 IIRC

Something that still doesn’t get old for me — when the band comes to a clearing in a big jam in 97-00 era and the whale call rises up in the mix and you feel like you’ve been out wandering in the woods, getting hopelessly lost which is enjoyable but in the back of your head you know it could spell trouble, but then you coincidentally just stumble right back to your home. Love that poo poo

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I was super into Primus and Les Claypool as a kid, so I ordered the Fearless Flying Frog Brigade Set 1 and his other sideproject, Oysterhead.

To the uninitiated the sheer volume of whale calls blew my mind on that Oysterhead Album. I also wasn't a hip kid but I was like "they sound like they on drugs." Which was, sadly right.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
PHISH, SUNDAY 08/12/2018

MERRIWEATHER

Columbia, MD

SET 1: Llama, Big Black Furry Creature from Mars, Meat, Alaska, Tweezer -> Bathtub Gin > The Curtain With > Chalk Dust Torture

SET 2: Tweezer Reprise > No Men In No Man's Land > Twist > Prince Caspian > Piper > Backwards Down the Number Line > Also Sprach Zarathustra > Harry Hood

ENCORE: Heavy Things, Bug > Tweezer Reprise

Just listened to this first set. Holy poo poo.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Oysterhead was really pretty good and I would like to see them in concert some day. It’s probably the best Les Claypool side project, although I really liked his band with Bernie Worrell and Buckethead.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

It sucks that for high-gain Trey we only have the 2003 (I believe?) era where he briefly used a Marshall and...Oysterhead, where he decides to team up with the most insufferable bassist in the scene.

Les is a weird dude because Electric Apricot is a spot on pastiche from a dude who clearly knows and loves the jam scene but man his music to me is nails on a chalkboard.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

BigFactory posted:

Oysterhead was really pretty good and I would like to see them in concert some day. It’s probably the best Les Claypool side project, although I really liked his band with Bernie Worrell and Buckethead.

I mean they have a terrible record for touring coinciding with colossal American Tragedy but yeah would love to see them.

The other great Oysterhead quote, well there are two one is Trey going "what should we call the band" and Les going "Oysterfoot."

"Why Oysterfoot?"

"You know, like Oysterhead."

"Les why don't we just call the band Oysterhead".

And Les apparently saying Tim Alexander's drumming used to annoy him because of some of the ways he played until he played with Copeland and Copeland played the same but even more so.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Welp looks like tour dates dropped

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

how did Arkansas get a date and the Northeast got nothing

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Kvlt! posted:

how did Arkansas get a date and the Northeast got nothing

I don’t know if the northeast venues they would play are really open for business this summer. The dates in NJ are on the beach, it’s not a real venue. It’s all red states the first month. Like I don’t think it’s worth it for them to play a place like Jones Beach at half capacity with the overhead of their crew and everything. I can’t think of an outdoor place in the northeast like Dicks, except maybe Fenway, and Fenway blows for concerts. And I don’t know if Fenway is hosting concerts at all this summer.

But there’s also time between Dicks and the CA shows to do an east coast festival if they wanted to. That wouldn’t surprise me. But it would also take so much work that they couldn’t announce it now.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 21:08 on May 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

I'm already reading rumors for a New England heavy run before MSG for NYE