Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

PerniciousKnid posted:

It sounds more fun to come up with a memorable random seed like "goonbuttes" and strategize together.

I know what I'm doing this evening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Arsenic Lupin posted:

e: I just want to buy 5 trucks at a time, dammit, without cycling through that set of menus for each one.
When you buy a truck, assign it a route, but it’s still in the garage ... in the bottom right corner of the garage window there’s an icon that looks like two overlapping boxes. That’s a clone tool. Click it, then the truck, and you’ll buy a second identical truck already assigned to the same route. If you shift click the icon, you can clone multiples.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Awesome. Thank you.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Awesome. Thank you.

Also, you can use that clone tool with any vehicle, they don't have to be in the garage. Even clicking a line in the fleet table works, or the tiny vehicles in the station info windows. It's such a nice UX touch.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Awesome. Thank you.
I made a mistake. To clone multiples, you regular click the clone tool, then shift-click the vehicle you want to clone.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
jeffk gets you Roswell, in a forest, with a wood and iron depot, and demand. The cities are a bit farther out, but I'm liking it so far.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Grevlek posted:

jeffk gets you Roswell

:tinfoil:

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

PerniciousKnid posted:

It sounds more fun to come up with a memorable random seed like "goonbuttes" and strategize together.

I wonder how different the maps would look, if everyone used a largely-similar initial depot and road layout, after a year or two?

PhallicPhalanges
Jun 9, 2015

Her navel is all time musky... Bt look at her face... Her face makes my ROD wakes
Bought voxel tycoon last night and played for a few hours. Really enjoying so far and agree that for some reason it just feels better than RoI. Only thing I’m finding annoying is road building, specifically intersections and joining roads to my depots.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
In Voxel Tycoon I'm wondering if it's better to let old industries die. Like, If I'm up to making furniture and that level of stuff, to stop exporting wood completely so I can focus on the panks/beams/furniture/etc level of products.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

PhallicPhalanges posted:

Bought voxel tycoon last night and played for a few hours. Really enjoying so far and agree that for some reason it just feels better than RoI. Only thing I’m finding annoying is road building, specifically intersections and joining roads to my depots.

Same. Key issues:

* If you're starting from the existing road, make sure that the cursor is the thin green line, not the wide green square. The wide green square means the game thinks you're creating a new road.

* Bridge-to-road intersections often gently caress up. When you create one, do a 360 rotate to make sure there are no unconnected roads (recognizable by small white lines between the road and the thing you think it's intersecting).

* Spend the money on terraforming when you are having trouble getting two roads to connect. Putting everything on the same level helps a lot.

I've filed a bug asking them to put a large marker on intersections that aren't intersecting (should be recognizable by roads near each other with a white line).

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Arsenic Lupin posted:

* Spend the money on terraforming when you are having trouble getting two roads to connect. Putting everything on the same level helps a lot.

With this, keep in mind you can use the "tunnel" option for roads but set it at 0 height so it doesn't dig down. It'll dig a trench through whatever you're building which makes it an easy way to make a straight path through like a 1 pixel high area.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
The UI in Voxel Tycoon is so good and clean. I love it, it's amazing how much a difference a clean UI makes in a game like this.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

The devs (they respond very quickly to Github) have said there is still substantial work to be done on the road pathing, and have noted the specific example I gave as a bug.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Oh man, some of these seeds are absolute trash. Gotta cart iron ore halfway across my starting area over mountains, means my income sucks rear end to begin with. Businesses don't pay more based on distance travelled either!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Disappointing Pie posted:

The UI in Voxel Tycoon is so good and clean. I love it, it's amazing how much a difference a clean UI makes in a game like this.

In my opinion, it's not very good. However I'm glad you are enjoying it. The roads don't match, most of the important interfaces are hidden, and it's generally difficult how to figure out what to do when you want to do it.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
At first glance, seed goonygoon shows promise. Two of the cities are pretty close to each other (and wood and coal) and in between them (but north, like a triangle) is a large area that’s relatively flat.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I'm doing goonbuttes, dammit.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

"Finished" Dyson Sphere Program last night (mission complete + all non-infinite researches). 54 hours to the end without especially rushing. I've decided to shelve it for now, uninstalled to make sure I'm not bouncing back to it all the time. Good core to the game but it has a lot of improvements to go yet. I'm sure I'll pick it back up again down the line.

Also dipped into Koi Farm for a bit, 20-30 min. Not really sure how to predict patterns yet but it's a cute game and I was already in "don't want to put my fish in the river, they're mine" mode within 10 or so. For $3 certainly worthwhile. Not sure about longevity but it's a good gap filler.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Is it just me or is track-laying funky in Voxel Tycoon? Sometimes it double-tracks and then I can't put signals on the line, and sometimes it just goes off completely wide of where I want it to be. Also, I'd love to see people getting on and off busses and trains.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
It's not just you, the developers have acknowledged that road/rail construction needs another look at. They have it listed in the roadmap but not in the next EA update:

https://trello.com/b/wHz5JHqH/voxel-tycoon-roadmap

Also, the whole thing is a 2 man project, so don't expect too many vanity features in the beginning.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Cool, I'll shelve it for now, while it brews some more. I do like the bones of the game, so looking forward to seeing it develop.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

lagidnam posted:

It's not just you, the developers have acknowledged that road/rail construction needs another look at. They have it listed in the roadmap but not in the next EA update:

https://trello.com/b/wHz5JHqH/voxel-tycoon-roadmap

Also, the whole thing is a 2 man project, so don't expect too many vanity features in the beginning.

The voxel tycoon guys also put out an FAQ document that covers some of their future development plans and directions - https://voxeltycoon.xyz/devlog/ea-faq/

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Disappointing Pie posted:

How is the UI in Voxel Tycoon vs OpenTTD? OpenTTD is almost exactly what I want but the UI is...not great. On the other hand, I love OpenTTD for the grid layout and not having to pixel-perfect my placement.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Played some Planet Zoo after all. Built a few habitats for "easier" animals in a zoo from scratch, tried to get a little too bold on the design, reminded myself why I stopped Planet Coaster; the construction tools didn't get any better. Plus the optimization is godawful, north of 70 C just existing in a mostly empty park. Disappointing, probably not returning to it. Didn't even get to build red panda haven.

Not sure what I'll move to next. Maybe hitting a burnout point.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I've started playing AI War 2 and it is phenomenal. Tactical space chess with cool battles and an AI that actually has a brain. You've got to pick and choose what hills to die on carefully, and it's an insidious game with a lot of back and forth. Setting up dummy colonies that you shore up with defences in the hopes it attracts the wrath of the AI away from your actual important and useful economy generating colonies. Creating elite ghost division fleets that slip through AI defences and strike deep into the heart of their territory to wipe out valuable targets to provide your faction with bonuses or hamstring the AI's, before zipping back to hometurf to recoup and recover.

It's not a game where you conquer everything, it's a game where you try to keep below the radar and pray to God that the AI's horrifying eye doesn't fall on your measly resistance, before showing you what true omnipotence is. So there's a lot of figuring out what's worth conquering and generating awareness against you, versus what to avoid taking just to eke out a few more moments of respite. It's a fab game, with a slightly dense learning curve which is easily bypassed after watching a few tutorial videos. The ingame FAQ is also extremely useful. Did I mention you can set up beachheads for the particularly difficult sectors? You've got your bog standard transport ships that carry around your fleets in deep space (they're faster than the units they carry, but have no armaments), your mobile support units that exist purely to churn out units lost in battle whilst also having a complement of engineers to help repair work and building. Finally, you've got battlestations: beefy hulking masses that can take a beating and have their own pool of turrets to shore up defences in a region, or you can send them through wormholes into enemy sectors to build defensible attack positions to give your transport fleets some breathing room to deploy and not get immediately nuked. It's all about taking step by painful step towards being strong enough to hit the heart of the AI homeworld and defeat it for good, whilst simultaneously trying to stay off the AI's to-do list to give you that shot in hell of getting to the point where you're able to take on the AI homeworld.

In my playthrough, I've managed to claim a tiny corner of the galaxy to set up a bunch of economy command centres to provide resources for the war effort, and my frontline is a beefed up military command centre with a wall of turrets and my defensive fleets to prevent the AI from spearheading deep into my lands. I've then got a cloaked transport ship that zips about the galaxy to spew out hundreds of fighters that wipe out their data centres and hacks valuable technology.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/573410/AI_War_2/

PS: you can't just keep hammering at particularly difficult AI sectors until you eventually beat it via attrition. The AI is aware of this tactic and will happily use your destroyed ships as scrap to spew forth their own retaliatory waves that scale based on how many units you've thrown at them and lost.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Apr 21, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It occurs to me that this will likely be of interest to the thread:

The game KeeperRL (sort of a cross between dungeon keeper and dwarf fortress) released one of their old versions for free a while back, so you can give it a go and see if you like the idea. Apparently the newer versions have some significant improvements though personally I admit I find the building element to be a little simpler than it could be.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/329970/view/2836644651902355969

http://keeperrl.com/keeperRL_alpha29_1.zip

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Loving Capitalism Lab, even splurged and got the Digital Age DLC on top too.

But, it's clearly a 2001 game with extras bolted on. The UI is extremely click heavy and the micromanagement is out of this world. For software/internet companies you live and die on your R&D. So you have to manually set your research nodes, how long they should go for, and your staff can be headhunted away but they are named and somewhat unique so if they split, you have to manually rehire someone else and remember what the hell that node was supposed to be doing. I'm turning that poo poo off my next run lol.

Got a mod that adds more products, which means more production chains, which means more chains for those inputs. There is no diagram or manual for either the mod input chains or even the stock ones on the outside of the game in a wiki or something.

And for a game that has every reason to be a spreadsheeet game... there's not nearly enough spreadsheets. I can look at my income statement and balance sheet but that's extremely high level when I want to drill down into exactly what is and is not working. My entire company's revenue doesn't tell me much when I have like 50 things going on and have my finger in a zillion different pies. I do telecom, run multiple websites, run factories for companies, make an operating system and other software, run retail for all of the above, you need to be a little more specific there game.

This is the one game where an Excel or PowerBI plugin could sell as a 30 dollar DLC and it would totally work lol

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 21, 2021

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

OwlFancier posted:

The game KeeperRL (sort of a cross between dungeon keeper and dwarf fortress) released one of their old versions for free a while back, so you can give it a go and see if you like the idea. Apparently the newer versions have some significant improvements though personally I admit I find the building element to be a little simpler than it could be.

I tried that free release a few months ago, don't remember a ton besides thinking "it has promise but I'm not really able to get into it right now". Maybe I'll give it another pass when I'm out of this "reject all new games" funk.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SkyeAuroline posted:

I tried that free release a few months ago, don't remember a ton besides thinking "it has promise but I'm not really able to get into it right now". Maybe I'll give it another pass when I'm out of this "reject all new games" funk.

Yeah I don't think I like it enough to buy it and would probably need a lot more content in the base building department, as it stands I kind of felt like I was just stumbling into success because occasionally I would trigger an enemy to suicide itself on the dungeon defences and the game mostly boiled down to being basically minion screening interviewer.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Thanks for this ive had it on my wishlist but itll be fun to try it for free!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

skooma512 posted:

Loving Capitalism Lab, even splurged and got the Digital Age DLC on top too.

But, it's clearly a 2001 game with extras bolted on. The UI is extremely click heavy and the micromanagement is out of this world. For software/internet companies you live and die on your R&D. So you have to manually set your research nodes, how long they should go for, and your staff can be headhunted away but they are named and somewhat unique so if they split, you have to manually rehire someone else and remember what the hell that node was supposed to be doing. I'm turning that poo poo off my next run lol.

Got a mod that adds more products, which means more production chains, which means more chains for those inputs. There is no diagram or manual for either the mod input chains or even the stock ones on the outside of the game in a wiki or something.

And for a game that has every reason to be a spreadsheeet game... there's not nearly enough spreadsheets. I can look at my income statement and balance sheet but that's extremely high level when I want to drill down into exactly what is and is not working. My entire company's revenue doesn't tell me much when I have like 50 things going on and have my finger in a zillion different pies. I do telecom, run multiple websites, run factories for companies, make an operating system and other software, run retail for all of the above, you need to be a little more specific there game.

This is the one game where an Excel or PowerBI plugin could sell as a 30 dollar DLC and it would totally work lol
Learn the firm map filters and next firm previous firm hot keys to review your different market segments. The Corp roll up reports are almost useful but almost everything you need to know is only tracked at the firm level for reasons that can only make sense 20 years ago.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

zedprime posted:

Learn the firm map filters and next firm previous firm hot keys to review your different market segments. The Corp roll up reports are almost useful but almost everything you need to know is only tracked at the firm level for reasons that can only make sense 20 years ago.

Props to authentically reproducing the corporate experience at least.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Qubee posted:

I've started playing AI War 2 and

Thanks for posting this. I somewhat enjoyed AI War 1, but bounced off of it after a while just because of how dense and chaotic it became, and how hard it was to keep track of things and need to constantly micro. I did like the particularly bleak concept. This sounds like there have been significant improvements, so I'm going to check it out.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I’ve been on an Ceasar 3 bender that evolved into Pharaoh/Cleopatra. I love how they strike an impressive balance between all the systems (economy, military, city-builder), while looking great (with some hacks) after what, 20+ years?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Mokotow posted:

I’ve been on an Ceasar 3 bender that evolved into Pharaoh/Cleopatra. I love how they strike an impressive balance between all the systems (economy, military, city-builder), while looking great (with some hacks) after what, 20+ years?

I've been told that Nebuchadnezzar is along the same line of gameplay https://store.steampowered.com/app/1157220/Nebuchadnezzar/, might be worth checking out.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

gently caress I didn’t know they’re that far along with it. Right into my veins.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Volmarias posted:

Thanks for posting this. I somewhat enjoyed AI War 1, but bounced off of it after a while just because of how dense and chaotic it became, and how hard it was to keep track of things and need to constantly micro. I did like the particularly bleak concept. This sounds like there have been significant improvements, so I'm going to check it out.

Significant improvements is an understatement. That painful micro is long gone, the dev has streamlined gameplay mechanics to the point where it's genuine fun, rather than a constant feeling of being kicked in the nuts like you're some masochist whenever you try to navigate the godawful UI or make sense of the bajillion different stuff to keep track of. Now it's just constant hits of dopamine cause you're actually doing what you want to do without all the fiddly bits, and it's just as satisfying.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

I've been told that Nebuchadnezzar is along the same line of gameplay https://store.steampowered.com/app/1157220/Nebuchadnezzar/, might be worth checking out.

I haven't checked the game out in full, but I think the thread is kind of sour on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Qubee posted:

Significant improvements is an understatement. That painful micro is long gone, the dev has streamlined gameplay mechanics to the point where it's genuine fun, rather than a constant feeling of being kicked in the nuts like you're some masochist whenever you try to navigate the godawful UI or make sense of the bajillion different stuff to keep track of. Now it's just constant hits of dopamine cause you're actually doing what you want to do without all the fiddly bits, and it's just as satisfying.

Got any recommendations for tolerable let's play or tutorial videos for AI War 2? I'm intrigued but not sure I want to pull the trigger just yet.