Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Raeg posted:

I mean, Coal Miner's Glove was for sure rigged to be that, for whatever reason. I'm guessing Vader/Foley was supposed to be a Texas Death Match. Is there one I'm missing?
Those are the only two in WCW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

Since Roman pinned Bryan and Edge at the same time at WM, I'm wondering if someone has ever pinned 3 or more people at once?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

fatherofmustard posted:

Since Roman pinned Bryan and Edge at the same time at WM, I'm wondering if someone has ever pinned 3 or more people at once?

Looking it up, Big Daddy V pinned three jobbers on an ep of WWECW

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

What are some really good Wrestling books? I've been on a bit of a biography kick lately.

I remember doing a book report on Mick Foley's first book when I was in the fifth grade, is it as good as I remember?

Was the Rock's biography about how he was having sex at twelve years old in the forest a fever dream I had?

Sex Farm fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 17, 2021

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

fatherofmustard posted:

Not quite what you were asking, but Big Poppa Pump once ended a match on a triple Steiner Recliner

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Poasty posted:

What are some really good Wrestling books? I've been on a bit of a biography kick lately.

I remember doing a book report on Mick Foley's first book when I was in the fifth grade, is it as good as I remember?

Was the Rock's biography about how he was having sex at twelve years old in the forest a fever dream I had?

Crazy Like a Fox is a great bio of Pillman.

Gary Michael Cappetta's Bodyslam's might be the most underrated wrestling memoir ever written.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Walking a Golden Mile by William Regal
A Lion's Tale by Chris Jericho
More Than Hardcore by Terry Funk w/Scott Williams
The Unauthorized history of ECW by Scott Williams
Hitman: My real life in the cartoon world of wrestling by Bret Hart

All worth your time.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I've heard Lou Thesz's Shooter is very good but it's hard to find a copy.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

A Lion's Tale by Chris Jericho

I dig it too, but I do think the more of Jericho's autobiographies I read the more I disliked him.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It didn't really turn into The Adventures of a High Functioning Alcoholic until the sequels

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dawgstar posted:

I dig it too, but I do think the more of Jericho's autobiographies I read the more I disliked him.

In some ways it is good, in some ways it is a weird selective history.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Poasty posted:

If you're interested in the history of New Japan, Chris Charlton's two books (Lion's Pride and Eggshells) are must-read

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
Other recommendations to add and notes on some previous recommendations:

*Chokehold by Jim Wilson and Kit Bauman, though you should read the Observer review along with it to understand which Wilson-centric parts are probably bullshit. (The research and heavy reliance on both FOIA documents and Wilson's massive collection of wrestling lawsuit documents from doing discovery for his own lawsuits makes it well worth reading regardless.)

* Foley is Good is basically a continuation of his first book outside of the weirdly ghostwritten and oddly long anti-PTC section, but it's still worth reading as an extension of the first book.

* Hitman is great, but it's worth noting that it's taken almost entirely from the audio diaries that Bret kept throughout his career. He was not going on memory at all. There are occasional factual errors, but more from attempting to consolidate the 1,200+ page first draft. (Which Bret really should release as an ebook.)

* Heath McCoy's "Pain and Passion" is a great look at Stampede Wrestling and the Harts in general, with very complete source notes and a lot of research done using Stu's personal collection that he donated to Glenbow Museum.

* As for the other books in the weirdly large Stampede Wrestling canon? Pure Dynamite, Dynamite Kid's ghostwritten memoir, isn't particularly long, but his complete lack of apology for being such an rear end in a top hat makes it surprisingly honest about a lot of things, although he leaves out his awful treatment of his wife. Bruce Hart's book has some obvious bullshit, but it's still worth reading to get his insight. Diana's book was, of course, pulled off the market for being egregiously defamatory, but is easy to find to download online. Even throwing out the Martha stuff that led directly to the recall, there's a lot in there that, even if true, never should have made it to print, like various people confiding in her about being drugged and raped who surely didn't sign off on those things being in the book. The most fact-checked stuff is cited in Heath's book. I haven't read the Stu Hart bio, but I've heard it's good. Martha's book, if it counts, is a must-read, but obviously very different.

Dawgstar posted:

You mean Hooker? The most recent edition has been available from Crowbar Press for a decade (it's expensive on Amazon but Crowbar still has it for $20) and it's also been available on Kindle for seven years. Also, though I haven't read it, to address MRV's criticism, apparently the Crowbar edition has been annotated with end notes to explain what has been clarified by historians since Thesz and Kit Bauman originally wrote the book.

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

I still hold out hope that one day I'll be able to read the Gary Hart book

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I liked Regals book, but I think he finished it before they made him NXT commissioner so it’s a bit dour.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

davidbix posted:

You mean Hooker? The most recent edition has been available from Crowbar Press for a decade (it's expensive on Amazon but Crowbar still has it for $20) and it's also been available on Kindle for seven years. Also, though I haven't read it, to address MRV's criticism, apparently the Crowbar edition has been annotated with end notes to explain what has been clarified by historians since Thesz and Kit Bauman originally wrote the book.

I might have to read that.

Also Dynamite's book is a great read but a lot of people will justifiably hate it. I got it at the merch stand at an ECW show and it's the best book I ever bought at an ECW show.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

opinions on the ken shamrock book from last year? I also think I heard good things about chris charlton's Eggshells? EDIT missed the eggshells ref already, oops

EDIT2: also heard things about The Eighth Wonder of the World, but again haven't read it myself

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I liked Larry Nelson's book about his time in AWA, Stranglehold. It's a super quick read.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

How did wcw address Benoit jumping with their world championship?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Manwithastick posted:

Said the win didn't count because Sid got to the ropes

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

Manwithastick posted:

They had Arn go on Nitro where he said Sid’s leg was under the ropes (which I think may have actually been the case) and thus the title was vacated and they held another loving tournament which Sid won.

Someone else can answer about the the aftermath of that tourney, it sucked so bad I blocked it out.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

SLUM KING posted:

They had Arn go on Nitro where he said Sid’s leg was under the ropes (which I think may have actually been the case) and thus the title was vacated and they held another loving tournament which Sid won.

Someone else can answer about the the aftermath of that tourney, it sucked so bad I blocked it out.

It was even dumber than that. Sid defeated The Harris brothers for the right to face Nash for the vacant title and won in that match and in a title match against Nash to establish a new champion on the Jan 24th Nitro. Then he was stripped by Nash for pinning the wrong nazi brother on the next Thunder. Nash then awarded the title to himself. On that same Thunder, Sid then won the title in a match involving Ron Harris and Nash by making Nash submit. Then, after the lengthiest title reign between Goldberg's 98 reign and Steiner's fed closing reign, on April 10th all the titles were vacated, including Sid's world title. Then poo poo got really crazy and there were 10 title changes in a little more than a month.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
The WCW World title during 2000.

Bret (26 days)
Vacant
Benoit (1 Day)
Vacant
Sid (1 Day)
Nash (1 Day)
Sid (77 Days)
Vacant
Jarrett (8 days)
DDP (1 Day)
David Arquette (12 Days)
Jarrett (8 Days)
Flair (7 Days)
Vacant
Jarrett (1 Day)
Nash (6 days
Flair (1 Day)
Jarrett (41 Days)
Booker T (50 Days)
Nash (20 Days)
Booker T (8 Days)
Russo (7 Days)
Vacant
Booker T (55 Days)
Scott Steiner (120 Days)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DeathChicken posted:

It didn't really turn into The Adventures of a High Functioning Alcoholic until the sequels

Even by the second book it felt like it was turning into "I'll tell YOU when I had enough!" and none of the stories were as charming as learning to wrestle at the Not Exactly The Hart Brothers School. I'm not sure I even finished the third.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Isn’t the third one where he refers to himself as Drunkuccino the whole time?

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
That’s Al Pacino

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Procrastinator posted:

opinions on the ken shamrock book from last year? I also think I heard good things about chris charlton's Eggshells? EDIT missed the eggshells ref already, oops

EDIT2: also heard things about The Eighth Wonder of the World, but again haven't read it myself

Shamrock was great. Especially if you have an interest in both MMA and pro wrestling.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Isn’t the third one where he refers to himself as Drunkuccino the whole time?

Drunkicho makes his first appearances in Undisputed, his second book, but it's the third where he becomes incredibly obnoxious about it.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Said the win didn't count because Sid got to the ropes

My favorite part of that thing is apparently Benoit was open and explicit that he was going to leave. And WCW was like "We're going to make you champion!" And Benoit said, "But I'm leaving." And WCW was like "You'll be champion!" And Benoit said "But I'm leaving."

Then they made him champion and.... spoiler alert, he left. lol

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Thing about WCW insanity in 2000 is that there were actually simple stories they could've told instead, but Russo was desperate to pop a rating as the wheels came off.

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Vacant
Jarrett (8 days)
DDP (1 Day)
David Arquette (12 Days)
Jarrett (8 Days)
Flair (7 Days)
Vacant
Jarrett (1 Day)
Nash (6 days
Flair (1 Day)
Jarrett (41 Days)

This could've just been "Russo/Bischoff strip the belts, Heel Jarrett wins tournament for the WCW Championship, cheats to win a bunch and hits people with a guitar." It wouldn't have been good or anything, but it would've made sense at least.

quote:

Booker T (50 Days)
Nash (20 Days)
Booker T (8 Days)
Russo (7 Days)
Vacant
Booker T (55 Days)

Could've just been "Booker fulfills lifelong dream to win championship, retains in tough matches against the odds."

quote:

Scott Steiner (120 Days)

Steiner's run was fun, because they simplified it to "monster dominates on TV matches." But by then the company was cooked.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
Vacant had quite the string of runs as champion that year!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Kosmo Gallion posted:

The WCW World title during 2000.

Bret (26 days)
Vacant
Benoit (1 Day)
Vacant
Sid (1 Day)
Nash (1 Day)
Sid (77 Days)
Vacant
Jarrett (8 days)
DDP (1 Day)
David Arquette (12 Days)
Jarrett (8 Days)
Flair (7 Days)
Vacant
Jarrett (1 Day)
Nash (6 days
Flair (1 Day)
Jarrett (41 Days)
Booker T (50 Days)
Nash (20 Days)
Booker T (8 Days)
Russo (7 Days)
Vacant
Booker T (55 Days)
Scott Steiner (120 Days)

At least David Arquette had a longer reign than Russo.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Does Booker winning the title on the final Nitro count as WCW proper, or do we count it as WWE?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

fatherofmustard posted:

This popped into mind https://youtu.be/pDria1i9_FM

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

If someone were to go to Tokyo for a week, what are some wrestling related spots/shops/etc to check out?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

TTBF posted:

If someone were to go to Tokyo for a week, what are some wrestling related spots/shops/etc to check out?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f6HR1-gknQc

Toukoudan, as shown by one Colton Aloysius Cabana

Also MiSu's store in Harajuku, called Piledriver

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f6HR1-gknQc

Toukoudan, as shown by one Colton Aloysius Cabana

Also MiSu's store in Harajuku, called Piledriver

Quoting for my own reference. Thx!

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
For food:

I heard BUSHI's fried chicken joint is real good

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Doesn't Toru Yano run a sushi bar or am I thinking of someone else

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Timby posted:

Drunkicho makes his first appearances in Undisputed, his second book, but it's the third where he becomes incredibly obnoxious about it.

Jericho is bizarrely insistent people find stories of being black out drunk engaging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

What are the best Vader matches? I love Vader vs Sting but having trouble recalling my other favorites.