Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Making a spooky tombstone:

Progress report:

Even spookier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Empress Brosephine posted:

I've never seen a superman movie except for superman returns and justice league. What should I watch first

Man of steel
Superman with christopher reeves

This is gonna be a smoldering hot take: The Reeves Superman films are nice time capsules but they aged terribly and are cheesy in the worst ways. Man of Steel is a great reimagining of the character and updated him for the modern day and is absolutely worth watching.

If you really wanna watch the reeves films, go with one and two then go watch MoS.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

McCloud posted:

This is gonna be a smoldering hot take: The Reeves Superman films are nice time capsules but they aged terribly and are cheesy in the worst ways. Man of Steel is a great reimagining of the character and updated him for the modern day and is absolutely worth watching.

If you really wanna watch the reeves films, go with one and two then go watch MoS.

YOU'RE A NICE TIME CAPSULE!

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

CPL593H posted:

YOU'RE A NICE TIME CAPSULE!

Correct, I too aged terribly and am cheesy in the worst ways

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Every time I watch Superman '78 I'm actually surprised at how well it holds up.

I can't imagine any reason I'd watch Man of Steel, ever again.

The Superman and Lois tv pilot from earlier this year is the best Superman movie since the Donner cut of Superman 2.

Superman 4: A Quest for Peace or whatever it's called is absolute garbage. Jon Cryer's worst work. Which, Cryer seems like a nice guy but I feel both confident in my assessment and like I'm really saying something there.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

teagone posted:

You see kong dick in the post-credits scene.

if you lie to me......

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

McCloud posted:

Correct, I too aged terribly and am cheesy in the worst ways

The movies are just a reflection of the era of the comic books. So the 70s stuff is kind of campy but kind of serious where as the modern superhero books are a bunch of maudlin grimdark bullshit. That's why the Adam West, Michael Keaton, and Nolan Batman movies are so different from one another.

That said the list of essential comic book movies is Batman: The Movie, Batman, Batman Returns, Blade, Dick Tracy, and the Rocketeer. Just watch all that stuff. I can't say for sure which is the best but the one I would most be enthusiastic about watching right now is Blade. Blade just rules.

Now THAT SAID, Doom Patrol is what you should really watch.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I love Blade top five movies

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Geekboy posted:

The Superman and Lois tv pilot from earlier this year is the best Superman movie since the Donner cut of Superman 2.

Superman 4: A Quest for Peace or whatever it's called is absolute garbage. Jon Cryer's worst work. Which, Cryer seems like a nice guy but I feel both confident in my assessment and like I'm really saying something there.

Donner's rough cut has this great bit when Zod and his goons break into the White House and he picks up a gun. Seconds later when he realizes how it works he just laughs and starts shooting people. I can't think of any other moment in a superhero movie that so perfectly captures the evil and sadism of the villain so quickly and with so little. Lester's version isn't bad but much as it's obviously an unfinished work I just prefer the Donner cut.

I love Blade top five movies

All I can say about people who don't like Blade is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-5pEx_MWwg

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

CPL593H posted:

The movies are just a reflection of the era of the comic books. So the 70s stuff is kind of campy but kind of serious where as the modern superhero books are a bunch of maudlin grimdark bullshit. That's why the Adam West, Michael Keaton, and Nolan Batman movies are so different from one another.

That said the list of essential comic book movies is Batman: The Movie, Batman, Batman Returns, Blade, Dick Tracy, and the Rocketeer. Just watch all that stuff. I can't say for sure which is the best but the one I would most be enthusiastic about watching right now is Blade. Blade just rules.

Now THAT SAID, Doom Patrol is what you should really watch.

I vociferously disagree, I think MoS is a pretty optimistic film that isn't afraid to take itself seriously instead of being campy or self-effacing, which is a bit of a rarity in superhero films.

I will agree with Doom Patrol though, well worth watching

Geekboy posted:

Super nuclear triple hot take: I like Superman 3 way more than Superman 1.

Superman 4 sucks though, I think that's an universal truth.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Superman 78 is unironically great. Despite the limited special effects capability of the era they do their best to make you believe everything that happens onscreen, and Reeve is to this day the only actor who's convinced me that someone might not be able to realize Clark Kent and Superman are the same person. And you can't beat Margot Kidder. Sure, it's campy, but it's campy with a purpose. Gene Hackman's Lex Luthor is really the only one who goes over the top in that regard I'd say.

Superman 2 is a lot campier, to the point that it feels like a straight up comedy at times, and it has some weird plot points that seem beneath the character of Superman, and the effects are a major, major step down, but it's really fun, and Terence Stamp is amazing as Zod. I'd call it a guilty pleasure if it didn't have such great scenes as the Niagara falls sequence.

I don't know why anyone would try to denigrate those movies just to try to make Man of Steel seem better or more important, but then I don't attach my entire sense of self to bad corporate products.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

I don't know why anyone would try to denigrate those movies just to try to make Man of Steel seem better or more important, but then I don't attach my entire sense of self to bad corporate products.

We're having a nice casual chat, please don't ruin it by being snide.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Aw I was hoping superman 3 would be worth watching due to pryor

Superman 3 is very janky but also it is a lot of fun.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

McCloud posted:

Super nuclear triple hot take: I like Superman 3 way more than Superman 1.

Superman 3 is the best superhero movie, period. What beats Richard Pryor and evil robot ladies? Nothing.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

Superman 3 is the best superhero movie, period. What beats Richard Pryor and evil robot ladies? Nothing.

RIGHT?! It even has drunk Superman! It's great!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Blade.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

the Superman vs. Clark Kent scene is the best thing in the whole series

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

CPL593H posted:

Don't forget Men in Black, Ichi the Killer, Oldboy, and Solanin

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

70s comics hit the perfect balance of dealing with "Serious Real Issues" while still being wacky camp nonsense that hasn't been achieved since.

The Starlin run of Adam Warlock is the best Marvel Comics have ever been

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Oh poo poo, and Tokyo Tribe. Tokyo Tribe kicks rear end. A rap musical made without an ounce of musical talent but they really go for it anyway

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The good Supermans are the Fleischer cartoons and Man Of Steel, while Superman: The Movie and Superman Returns are some kind of weirdo postmodern thing talking about the cultural impact of the Superman franchise.

All these are worthwhile, but people who only watch the Donner end up with a distorted picture - in the same way that someone might only be familiar with the Brady Bunch movie.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there any piece of media that all superman fans agree on? Superman the animated series? Smallville? Louis and clark?!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Is there any piece of media that all superman fans agree on? Superman the animated series? Smallville? Louis and clark?!

Probably the Fleischer Studio cartoons?

Well, the pre-"Famous Studio" ones, at least.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

even the biggest Smallville fans in the world will generally admit that's it's a terrible show lol

I've never heard of anyone who hated Superman TAS, but it's a little overshadowed by Batman TAS, with the latter broadly regarded as brilliant animation as well as pushing the limits of what could be done with children's cartoons and paving the way for deeper and more story-driven shows, while the former is just "yeah it's pretty good and that one episode about Superman wanting to accomplish something substantive as Clark Kent is an all-timer."

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

the animated DCAU Justice league series is universally agreed as good, I guess? It hits enough high notes that people like it and consider it good but not enough low points or controversial enough for people to dislike it. Lois and Clark was fun but it's tainted by Dean Cain becoming a chud, and not that many people actually watched it, afaik.

All star Superman is also universally praised.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

even the biggest Smallville fans in the world will generally admit that's it's a terrible show lol

I've never heard of anyone who hated Superman TAS, but it's a little overshadowed by Batman TAS, with the latter broadly regarded as brilliant animation as well as pushing the limits of what could be done with children's cartoons and paving the way for deeper and more story-driven shows, while the former is just "yeah it's pretty good and that one episode about Superman wanting to accomplish something substantive as Clark Kent is an all-timer."

I think the Superman TAS is just generally agreed to be kinda bland, and never really reaching its potential

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Zack Snyder’s Justice League: Justice is Grey Edition

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Zack Snyder’s Justice League: Justice is Grey Edition

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

FreudianSlippers posted:

70s comics hit the perfect balance of dealing with "Serious Real Issues" while still being wacky camp nonsense that hasn't been achieved since.

The Starlin run of Adam Warlock is the best Marvel Comics have ever been

Ehh, the hundredish issues of Stan Lee/Jack Kirby Fantastic Four is loving amazing. For darker stuff I'd say Bendis' run on Daredevil might be better than Frank Miller's.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
All Star Superman and the not-racist episodes of the Fleischer cartoons are the only things that I think I've seen universal agreement on.

Just, like, never watch Jungle Drums.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I have yet to hear anyone poo poo on the new Superman and Louis show. But they had to stop production after episode 5 because an on set COVID outbreak sadly. Theoretically comes back in May.

The only people who poo poo on the first Christopher Reeves film are people who haven't seen it in over a decade.

the radio show was materially damaging to the KKK, so it definitely deserves some accolades for that, but it is a cheesy old radio show from the 50s.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Geekboy posted:

All Star Superman and the not-racist episodes of the Fleischer cartoons are the only things that I think I've seen universal agreement on.

Just, like, never watch Jungle Drums.

Or "Japoteurs"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I thought All-Star Superman was just ok, but then I never cared for Grant Morrison's writing that much.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I've never seen a superman movie except for superman returns and justice league. What should I watch first

Man of steel

To clarify, is the Justice League you watched the recently released Zack Snyder cut? And if so, did you like it?

If you did, Man of Steel obviously sets the stage for that Superman, it goes into more depth for the characters of Lois and Martha who appeared in that movie, so if you enjoyed any aspect of that storyline you will presumably enjoy MoS which is more tightly focused on those 3 characters (among others)

And yeah Superman: the movie is great although obviously from a very different time, so ymmv if you connect with it. There’s lots of neat stuff tho, and the climax of Zack Snyder’s Justice League has basically the same general solution, which is a neat homage

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

I have yet to hear anyone poo poo on the new Superman and Louis show. But they had to stop production after episode 5 because an on set COVID outbreak sadly. Theoretically comes back in May.

The only people who poo poo on the first Christopher Reeves film are people who haven't seen it in over a decade.

the radio show was materially damaging to the KKK, so it definitely deserves some accolades for that, but it is a cheesy old radio show from the 50s.

It's interesting that the Superman radio show which created The Clan of the Fiery Cross was only a couple years removed from the issues of the comic book that used a slur for Japanese people on the cover so people would buy war bonds. Especially since the family that's targeted by the Klan in the radio show is Asian.

If anyone is interested there is a three issue miniseries that adapted the Clan of the Fiery Cross called Superman Smashes the Klan.

Lurdiak posted:

I thought All-Star Superman was just ok, but then I never cared for Grant Morrison's writing that much.

Grant Morrison did an amazing run on Doom Patrol which heavily influenced the tv show. Now as much as their work can be hit or miss, that alone gives them a pass for anything that sucked. But also All Star Superman rules and you are the President of Wrongsylvania.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

STAS is a little dull mostly but eventually peaks into one really good run for a kid's cartoon, but it suffers by comparison to BTAS which was just leagues ahead in terms of artistry.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Man of Steel is a great introduction to the Superman character, which I know because it was the first thing I ever watched with Superman in it and I absolutely loved it.

I watched the first two Reeves films for the first time recently and didn’t particularly like them. They’re not all bad, but I found the characters boring (with the exception of Zod & pals) and didn’t care about the stakes of the action because whenever it seems to get tough Superman just pulls a new power out of his rear end.

I wouldn’t call myself a “Superman fan” though. The only comic he features in that I’ve read is The Dark Knight Returns. I’m more of an X-Men / Spider-Man / Batman person, if I had to choose.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I watched and enjoyed both versions of justice league but liked zacks better.

I couldn't decide so I watched a episode of supergirl and that was ok

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Man of steel

don't bother with man of steel. zs's justice league is supposedly very good but man of steel and BvS really, really aren't worth your time

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Has anyone watched this movie, Iron Mask on Hulu? It has Jackie Chan and Arnold Schwarzenegger in it. It’s the sequel to the big budget Viy adaptation from a few years ago, which I haven’t seen. But I watched this one last night. It’s very bad and I highly recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
Just watched Kore-eda's Hana, and thought it was quite enjoyable. It's not earth shattering in its critique of dutiful violence, but the story of communal slum life is told at a patiently tempered pace. Unexpectedly breezy for the most part, but the undercurrent of 'necessary' violence is always there through the parallel storytelling.