Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
watched the 2nd ep of Bakuten!! today
this ep brought more sports feels than the first episode which was an improvement, I want those heart-clenching team bonding moments. imo the standout bit of this show is all the little expressive mannerisms the characters have that gives them more personality; it would have been pretty easy for all of them to just be flat archetypes (the captain, the playboy, the weird gremlin, the glasses guy, etc. -- although tbh glasses is still pretty flat he needs to do more.)

also watched 2nd ep of the Saint one and I think I'm probably going to just unfavorably compare this to the other one I like better through the whole show lol. It could really stand to dial back the "everything you do is so amazing and the best" a little. I enjoyed the captain being a bit awkward at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Raenir Salazar posted:

If you listen carefully, you can hear the lamentations of slimes everywhere.

It's such a dark way to resolve her grudge and I don't know how to feel about it.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Electric Phantasm posted:

It's such a dark way to resolve her grudge and I don't know how to feel about it.

The slime girls are 90% cute but they have moments when it gets weird.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Kwyndig posted:

They sell smaller displacement super cubs in japan so she probably doesn't have the 125cc engine.

The version she had also had a kickstart, which the 2019 and later models don't have (they're all electronic start and keyless) so she clearly has an earlier model. I think Honda has continued to sell less powerful models in the Asian market throughout the Cub's run since the market over there supports them better.

And now for something completely different.
Really liking Nagataro. They've toned down her early sadism and leveled out her character to more like she was after the manga had gone on for a year, which I like.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 18, 2021

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Nitrousoxide posted:

And now for something completely different.
Really liking Nagataro. They've toned down her early sadism and leveled out her character to more like she was after the manga had gone on for a year, which I like.

With them only getting a single cour it is a good choice to ease off with the earlier stuff just like what they did with the manga compared to the original web content.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
Nagataro is interesting because there's two elements I think I see, one is a control things, where her messing with what's his face feels like its her way of feeling in control; then there's the way I am pretty sure she's basically playing chicken against herself, trying to see how close she can bring herself to not being in control.

e to add: I dunno how its going to resolve so far but I feel like Vivy's Song is probably the stand out science fiction show of the season. It's like if you took Terminator; I, Robot; and Looper and smashed them together to make something about just as awesome as it sounds.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 18, 2021

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

Second TWEWY episode was a massive improvement over the first one, in case anyone still cares - this time they didn't try to cram way too much material into a single episode, so there's actual character moments and funny bits and the pacing actually works.

Makes me sad the first episode was so bad. :(

Agreed, the second episode was a lot better, though I don't think the first was terrible, just tried to compress too much. I like that it's giving a decent amount of early focus to Beat as well. He was kind of underdeveloped in the game as I remember, compared to the others.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

First impressions so far:

Godzilla Singular Point: Great! Very colorful, fun characters, snappy pacing, awesome OP.

86: Maybe? Kind of standard "war is heck" setup, but the squad characters look like they might be fun.

Bishounen Tanteidan: Good! Extremely Shaft, a joy to look at, not sure yet where it wants to go plot-wise.

Boku no Hero Academia: Okay. It's more MHA.

Fumetsu no Anata e: Has potential. Emotional first episode, but not sure how it's going to structure its narrative.

Jouran - The Princess of Snow and Blood: Maybe? Did not care for the first episode, but episode 2 introduced a potentially intriguing plot angle.

Mars Red: Maybe? Liked the first episode well enough as I was watching it, but very little interest in continuing it since then, not sure why.

Mashiro no Oto: Great! Does a really good job of telling the story through the music, and the performances have been great.

Odd Taxi: Great! Noir-ish atmosphere, sharp dialogue writing, intriguing mystery, simple but effective art style.

Osananajimi ga Zettai ni Makenai Love Comedy: Trash. Tired harem cliches, immensely unlikable MC, not one decent joke.

Sayonara Watashi no Cramer: Decent. Animation quality is kind of rough, especially during matches, but the cast of characters has potential.

Shadows House: Maybe? First episode was all setup, need to see where it goes from here, the writing is extremely unsubtle though.

Slime Taoshite 300-nen: Eh. The manga is pleasant enough but extremely one-note, and the adaptation is nothing special.

SSSS.Dynazenon: Great! Had high expectations following Gridman, so far they have been met.

Super Cub: Great! Glacial pacing and simple story, but somehow very compelling.

Vivy: Eh. Intriguing concept, but I don't enjoy the interactions between the two main characters.

Yakunara Mug Cup mo: Eh. Cure girls making cute mugs, not much to set it apart from hundreds of similar shows.

Zombieland Saga: Great! Wasn't sure about the first episode, but episode 2 was a return to form.

Is TWEWY worth checking out if you've never played the game?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Raenir Salazar posted:

Nagataro is interesting because there's two elements I think I see, one is a control things, where her messing with what's his face feels like its her way of feeling in control; then there's the way I am pretty sure she's basically playing chicken against herself, trying to see how close she can bring herself to not being in control.

You can probably just call him senpai, his actual name really doesn't matter very much.

As for the title character she really is something. I've not read the original source material, but I have some sense that she's trying to needle that particular uptight idiot into being slightly less of an uptight idiot. She pretty obviously has some kind of affection for senpai considering the way that Nagatoro just shut down the two faceless guys, but I wonder how much she's aware of it and if she really has any plan for what will happen if he actually does stop being a dweeb.

Also I keep watching the show expecting to smash cut into a flash forward of "and that's how i met your mother."

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

cave emperor posted:

This is just my opinion, but I would say just stick to the game. The first episode rushed through a bunch of content, you don't get much of a sense for the characters as a result, and you don't really get the puzzle elements of the reaper game, just a bunch of action scenes, which aren't too great imo. The low framerates make the cg movement look janky in parts, and some of the fight choreography like with the bat noise just looked really busy.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't see how anyone would understand what goes on in the TWEWY anime if they weren't already familiar with the game.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Omnicrom posted:

You can probably just call him senpai, his actual name really doesn't matter very much.

As for the title character she really is something. I've not read the original source material, but I have some sense that she's trying to needle that particular uptight idiot into being slightly less of an uptight idiot. She pretty obviously has some kind of affection for senpai considering the way that Nagatoro just shut down the two faceless guys, but I wonder how much she's aware of it and if she really has any plan for what will happen if he actually does stop being a dweeb.

Also I keep watching the show expecting to smash cut into a flash forward of "and that's how i met your mother."
nagatoro and senpai have got a similar level of obliviousness-but-everyone-else-knows-it to uzaki-chan which only gets more apparent and with more side characters aggressively pushing them together as the series goes on. it's a gradual one but doesn't feel like a drag. The secondary characters eventually getting some development is nice too, like how her friend's family runs a gym. I don't really expect much of that in the anime but if we get to stuff like the Zoo trip and such, that'd be cool. unlikely we will, but it'd be nice.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice

Strange Quark posted:

I don't see how anyone would understand what goes on in the TWEWY anime if they weren't already familiar with the game.

What if our only experience with it is from Kingdom Hearts?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

it seems understandable, i'm just not sure why someone would want to watch it as the first twewy thing. it's directly adapting a game while being shorter than the game, so it's obviously going to miss stuff.

my excuse is i'm being forced

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Raenir Salazar posted:

as a kingdom hearts fan you should be already familiar with not understanding things

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

dogsicle posted:

it seems understandable, i'm just not sure why someone would want to watch it as the first twewy thing. it's directly adapting a game while being shorter than the game, so it's obviously going to miss stuff.

my excuse is i'm being forced

Maybe they just want the major plot beats without playing Sweet Talk Tether Simulator 2008.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Strange Quark posted:

as a kingdom hearts fan you should be already familiar with not understanding things

I'm going to be honest when people talk about how the plot of KH is like impenetrable or whatever, I don't really see it as being any worse than your average anime.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
i'm watching an anime with over 10 people in its main cast and i can't even remember all of their names 😔

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm going to be honest when people talk about how the plot of KH is like impenetrable or whatever, I don't really see it as being any worse than your average anime.

Broadly, I second this. The reason Kingdom Hearts gets called impenetrable is because the overall storyline is ridiculously convoluted, not because it's actually complicated. Fundamentally, the series has good guys who are fairly simply good who fight bad guys who are fairly simply bad and it really isn't much more elaborate than that. There's a bunch of terms and concepts and a giant pile of characters, but the terms and concepts are all fairly simple and the characters are pretty stock.

The people I kind of pity when it comes to KH are the ones who are trying to get ahead of the curve in figure out whatever the deep setting mysteries or whatever are in advance of the obligatory superlong dialogue scene where someone explains in great detail what's going on. Because it is very apparent that on a certain level the games actually don't care about whatever bees there are that collectively get in the fandom's bonnets, Kingdom Hearts' plot is more or less an excuse for people to go to Disney movies and fight monsters. Maybe once upon a time it was worth it to speculate, but nearly 2 decades in? Just repeat to yourself it's just a showgame and you should really just relax.

Strange Quark posted:

i'm watching an anime with over 10 people in its main cast and i can't even remember all of their names 😔

If it's any consolation I have watched and enjoyed shows where I practically had to do flash card drills to remember everyone's name. Shout outs to Inazuma Eleven for having a handful of team members who, a couple years after viewing, I can't remember as anything more than something like "the one with the water dodge" or "the goalkeeper who I hate and refuse to use in the game". I'm currently watching Odd Taxi and I am really glad it's about animal people so I can just say "the loser monkey" or "the kangaroo lady" because I don't remember their names.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Omnicrom posted:

Broadly, I second this. The reason Kingdom Hearts gets called impenetrable is because the overall storyline is ridiculously convoluted, not because it's actually complicated. Fundamentally, the series has good guys who are fairly simply good who fight bad guys who are fairly simply bad and it really isn't much more elaborate than that. There's a bunch of terms and concepts and a giant pile of characters, but the terms and concepts are all fairly simple and the characters are pretty stock.

The people I kind of pity when it comes to KH are the ones who are trying to get ahead of the curve in figure out whatever the deep setting mysteries or whatever are in advance of the obligatory superlong dialogue scene where someone explains in great detail what's going on. Because it is very apparent that on a certain level the games actually don't care about whatever bees there are that collectively get in the fandom's bonnets, Kingdom Hearts' plot is more or less an excuse for people to go to Disney movies and fight monsters. Maybe once upon a time it was worth it to speculate, but nearly 2 decades in? Just repeat to yourself it's just a showgame and you should really just relax.

I don't think I buy this, it isn't being written by JJ Abrams/Disney, you have a legit Japanese auteur writers managing things in Nomura (as much as a mix bag as that is along with say any Hideo Kojima title for better or worse), I think there is a plot with actual story beats and themes behind it that makes it worth playing and experiencing. Roxas as a character for example doesn't elicit the emotional response it typically does from the fanbase without the story in general that isn't rehashing said Disney movies actually does have something going for it and character beats that do deliver.

Sure trying to predict what happens next is about as fruitful as guess the next episode of Lost or equivalent "Mystery Box" narrative device unfolding mystery/thriller thing but I think you're selling it a tad short here. Its fun partly because we're not sure whats going to happen next, but it sticks with us because you got moments that connect with the audience and those moments land.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
I don't know what Pretty Boy Detective Club is doing, but it's doing a great job.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Nomura owns and I will tolerate no haters.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

cave emperor posted:

It's perfectly understandable if you haven't played the game but it's too early to tell whether it'll be a decent show as a whole, or just a rushed 12-episode commercial for the sequel.

The first episode strips a bunch of plot, world-building and pretty much anything that made the game's setting or characters interesting out in order to squeeze enough plot to fill out two episodes into a single one. The second episode gave the material time to breathe and is much better as a result.

If you have the time to play a 40-60 hour RPG the game is obviously better, though.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Apr 18, 2021

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
86 is trying to Say something about soldiers being invisible to the civilian world... except it's completely unconvincing. The animation and mech design, is great, the unit's characterization isn't bad (if a tad cliched), but the writing falls apart when you think even a little about it. People who don't have rights don't get the right to bear arms and inflict violence, historically this is the first thing that is stripped from the underclass and celebrated by the overclass. Ronald Reagan famously passed gun control laws targetting african americans. Putting together a coherent force of slave soldiers and giving them weapons and oppression just makes them mutiny and gently caress you up. And it takes much, much more than a mere 9 years to teach people to Hate another.

And a war of extermination against swarms of autonomous rogue robots? That's not a "somebody else's problem", that's an existential threat that you can't just wish away once the kill-bot's factory spec obsolescence date ends.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

chumbler posted:

Nomura owns and I will tolerate no haters.

i enjoy reading the kingdom hearts manga over playing the game for the story

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Phobophilia posted:

86 is trying to Say something about soldiers being invisible to the civilian world... except it's completely unconvincing. The animation and mech design, is great, the unit's characterization isn't bad (if a tad cliched), but the writing falls apart when you think even a little about it. People who don't have rights don't get the right to bear arms and inflict violence, historically this is the first thing that is stripped from the underclass and celebrated by the overclass. Ronald Reagan famously passed gun control laws targetting african americans. Putting together a coherent force of slave soldiers and giving them weapons and oppression just makes them mutiny and gently caress you up. And it takes much, much more than a mere 9 years to teach people to Hate another.

And a war of extermination against swarms of autonomous rogue robots? That's not a "somebody else's problem", that's an existential threat that you can't just wish away once the kill-bot's factory spec obsolescence date ends.

I don’t really agree with parts of this, but mind you I haven’t seen the actual show. Historically speaking there have been examples of soldiers without rights that have been used successfully, ignoring the Mamluks and Jannisarries cause their status doesn’t really fit right-less, you have examples such as all the people the Mongols forcibly conscripted or the use of helots in ancient Greece. Examples of soldiers lacking in rights can also be found in punishment battalions or with hiwis.

And I’d argue 9 years is very much a short enough time to get people to hate each other with a bit of propaganda. It’s happened plenty in history!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It just happened here in like 4!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Helots and Song/Goryeo conscripts only made up the low-ranking troops (or occasionally, siege specialists) within the bulk of the army, they were still led into battle and kept coherent by veteran Spartans and Mongol soldiers, who had access to the best equipment. You don't see Albans sitting in top-of-the-line mechs "backing up" 86ers. They're instead getting morning-drunk and barely capable of persecuting a war.

Like the Code Geass movies had a better depiction of low-ranking conscripts forced to become cannon fodder, and even then there were Europians fighting alongside the Area 11 refugees.

And maybe you could turn groups of people into non-humans in a mere 9 years if there was a preceding background level of race-hate. Like the transformation of Arab Muslims into enemy #1 in the US seems fast, but there was a background level of contempt towards Arabs beforehand. And European hatred of Jews and Travellers goes back centuries.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Giving guns to people who you then treat as subhumans has obvious disadvantages. Despite this, there are plenty of historical examples. There's a reason the British Empire in particular had to deal with so many mutinies and uprisings.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Darth Walrus posted:

Giving guns to people who you then treat as subhumans has obvious disadvantages. Despite this, there are plenty of historical examples. There's a reason the British Empire in particular had to deal with so many mutinies and uprisings.

Again, led by British Officers, and used to police other states within the greater Empire, and routinely put down by even better armed British regulars.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Even just reading the premise of the show you can see they have a handler though

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Who don't do poo poo except sit in a room far away from the front, while the people who actually know how to use their guns can potentially conspire and blindside their captors.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Thunderbolt Fantasy had not one, but two Top Ten Anime Betrayals in the same episode. The first one was almost like a game of chicken: which of these two terrifying entities trapped in a dimensional prison will be unleashed upon the world? The answer ended up being the one we're more familiar with, but I guarantee we haven't seen the last of this Wizard Mechanicus character and the mayhem he is capable of.

The second was absolutely spectacular. We spend a good ten minutes getting to know this cool guy, what motivates him, and get apprehensive that he's going to immediately get murdered by his superiors once he gets home. It builds up to a grand reveal: this guy is actually also this other guy, who we last saw be somewhat honorable in the service of the Dark Lord. Once again we've skipped several steps and we're already confronting the grand villain in their lair.

Urobuchi's clearly have alot of fun making a cool colorful world and just constantly throwing in curveballs stirring the pot.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
I've been operating under the assumption that the 86th is gonna rebel hopefully sooner than later, and the handler lady will be running interference for them/deactivate the bombs in the brains or whatever is preventing them from overthrowing the state.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Phobophilia posted:

Again, led by British Officers, and used to police other states within the greater Empire, and routinely put down by even better armed British regulars.

You're being far too caught up on specific historical examples and ignoring that this is still a story and the precise historical accuracy to past atrocities is probably going to take a backseat to the drone warfare allegory. Also just because something didn't happen in history doesn't mean it couldn't happen.

First 9 years is maybe reading into the events of the show (spoken by an Alba I point out) too charitably, its possible there had been tensions for years, decades, centuries and the war finally gave the Albans their pretext.

But for a specific example might be the Ukrainians the Nazi's armed, they were certainly an underclass and probably would have been eliminated after the war; but there are other analogous examples, like Roman auxiliaries made up of peoples trying to seek refuge in Rome and accepted fighting on Rome's behalf for that chance.

I'm not sure if it makes sense if they have kill switches because there's the risk of hacking or jamming by the enemy, maybe they do have regular forces squared away somewhere if it comes down to it. There's a lot about the world we don't know still.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Raenir Salazar posted:

I never liked Kingdom Hearts growing up, and so by extension TWEWY or KH3. So I've no horse in this race.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
TWEWY really has nothing to do with Kingdom Hearts other than Tetsuya Nomura being involved in both of them. By that logic you should hate Final Fantasy 7 and 10 as well.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well there were TWEWY characters in KH 3D and at the end of of KH3 Sora is possibly in TWEWY Shibuya so that's not entirely accurate

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Sakurazuka posted:

Well there were TWEWY characters in KH 3D and at the end of of KH3 Sora is possibly in TWEWY Shibuya so that's not entirely accurate

And there were ff7 and 10 characters in kh1. That has nothing to do with those games though and only with kingdom hearts. Grouchio also didn't magically see 6-10 years into the future to know those crossovers in KH would happen either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You don't know that